Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Bomb hoax in Boston--Marketing campaign

189101113

Posts

  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited February 2007
    megabyte wrote:
    I'm really confused with what laws they broke.

    The DA pressed charges that require proof of intent. Which will be practically impossible.

    These guys didn't break any laws, and the city knows it. They're just being prosecuted because the boston PD and friends feel the need to save face.
    They may have broken laws pertaining to street advertising or something.

    But certainly nothing on the scale of "bomb hoax"

    Also, I'm pretty sure I heard on NPR that Turner has already offered to pay the city's damages (i.e., money wasted on these shenanigans), so that argument is rather irrelevant.

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    well... they are artists and shit, so having a fellony(particularly one as obviously and publicly bullshit as this) really is not going to hurt them.

    The rest kinda boils down to how long the jail term would be, how much money turner was going to give me and how much of a shot I had at beating it.

    If jails were anything but assrape factories, I'd really have to think about it, if I was going to get a shitload of money for it.

    Yeah, we could have a whole debate about how the atrocities we allow to occur in our prison system are basically used to scare people into pleading to charges they might otherwise fight.

    As far as a felony conviction...I'm personally a fan of being able to vote and own firearms. I'm not sure of Massachusetts's stance on the former, and the latter is pretty consistent nationwide. Plus there's that whole "ever been convicted of a felony" box on job applications, and I'm a fan of being able to check "no." (EDIT: the point being that regardless of how "bullshit" the felony might be, if it's technically a felony there are basically a whole shitload of added consequences outside your actual sentence...as opposed to, say, a misdemeanor)
    Doc wrote:
    I think it would be ridiculous to have the entire city shut down and me charged $750k if they caught me jaywalking and freaked out for no reason.

    This isn't really any different - their overreaction (and all the costs included) is their own fault.

    Well, I'd say their reaction to this was a bit more reasonable than reacting similarly to a jaywalker. I mean, yeah I personally think they overreacted...and especially think that as it became obvious what the displays were they became a bit retarded. At the same time, I could see how some liability could be assessed, and some costs recouped. It doesn't seem as unreasonable to me as it does to everybody else, I guess.

    Personally I'd like to see a breakdown of that $750K number, though. That just seems....high. And no, I don't think they should have to foot the entire bill, because the city continued to act as though the sky was falling even after they were informed that no, it was just rain.

    mcdermott on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    redx wrote:
    well... they are artists and shit, so having a fellony(particularly one as obviously and publicly bullshit as this) really is not going to hurt them.

    The rest kinda boils down to how long the jail term would be, how much money turner was going to give me and how much of a shot I had at beating it.

    If jails were anything but assrape factories, I'd really have to think about it, if I was going to get a shitload of money for it.

    Yeah, we could have a whole debate about how the atrocities we allow to occur in our prison system are basically used to scare people into pleading to charges they might otherwise fight.

    As far as a felony conviction...I'm personally a fan of being able to vote and own firearms. I'm not sure of Massachusetts's stance on the former, and the latter is pretty consistent nationwide. Plus there's that whole "ever been convicted of a felony" box on job applications, and I'm a fan of being able to check "no."

    well, see they'd be getting press too. If they marketed themselfs the right way, I doubt that little box would make much of a diffrence.

    The voting thing, typically once you're out and been through the paroll procress you can frequently get your voting rights back.

    I don't care much about gun ownership.

    redx on
    This machine kills threads.
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So uh.. did anybody else see that Turner is gonna actually pay up.

    I'm fairly annoyed that they're bending over so easily.

    ArcticXC on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    redx wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    redx wrote:
    well... they are artists and shit, so having a fellony(particularly one as obviously and publicly bullshit as this) really is not going to hurt them.

    The rest kinda boils down to how long the jail term would be, how much money turner was going to give me and how much of a shot I had at beating it.

    If jails were anything but assrape factories, I'd really have to think about it, if I was going to get a shitload of money for it.

    Yeah, we could have a whole debate about how the atrocities we allow to occur in our prison system are basically used to scare people into pleading to charges they might otherwise fight.

    As far as a felony conviction...I'm personally a fan of being able to vote and own firearms. I'm not sure of Massachusetts's stance on the former, and the latter is pretty consistent nationwide. Plus there's that whole "ever been convicted of a felony" box on job applications, and I'm a fan of being able to check "no."

    well, see they'd be getting press too. If they marketed themselfs the right way, I doubt that little box would make much of a diffrence.

    The voting thing, typically once you're out and been through the paroll procress you can frequently get your voting rights back.

    I don't care much about gun ownership.

    Actually it says that if it's been more than 7 years, or if the charges/verdict was eventually dropped/reversed, you can check No again.

    The Muffin Man on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited February 2007
    ArcticXC wrote:
    So uh.. did anybody else see that Turner is gonna actually pay up.

    I'm fairly annoyed that they're bending over so easily.
    I, uh, just mentioned that. Like, five posts ago.

    Anyway, better for them to pay it than for the city to try to extort it out of the guys who put the things up.

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How the fuck did this cost the city of Boston a million dollars? Did they spontaneously train, equip, and transport a newly vat-grown cadre of bomb disposal units?

    Spaten Optimator on
  • ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User
    edited February 2007
    I would have been satisfied if they would just pay the transit authority the going rate for advertising space.

    Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited February 2007
    How the fuck did this cost the city of Boston a million dollars? Did they spontaneously train, equip, and transport a newly vat-grown cadre of bomb disposal units?
    I'm guessing they're counting "intangible" losses. You know, like how many people were late to work or whatever because they blew up a Lite-Brite.

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How the fuck did this cost the city of Boston a million dollars? Did they spontaneously train, equip, and transport a newly vat-grown cadre of bomb disposal units?
    I'm guessing they're counting "intangible" losses. You know, like how many people were late to work or whatever because they blew up a Lite-Brite.
    So, will some portion of the settlement go to the people that actually suffered these "intangible" costs?

    Yeah, I didn't think so.

    It's basically a load of horseshit.

    EDIT: And if they're not, I can't see any way that "tangible" costs for this could go over about $100K. Especially if we're talking about additional costs...'cause like I said, you already have to have a bomb squad and they're likely already on duty.

    mcdermott on
  • WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How the fuck did this cost the city of Boston a million dollars? Did they spontaneously train, equip, and transport a newly vat-grown cadre of bomb disposal units?

    Not that i want to dwell on it, but you're talking about a city that's wasted over a billion dollars on a tunnel thats still not completed.

    Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

    In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

    Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ArcticXC wrote:
    So uh.. did anybody else see that Turner is gonna actually pay up.

    I'm fairly annoyed that they're bending over so easily.
    I, uh, just mentioned that. Like, five posts ago.

    Anyway, better for them to pay it than for the city to try to extort it out of the guys who put the things up.

    Are you kidding? Even paying the costs, this is still well spent money. You can't usually buy advertising this good. They will make this up in ticket sales alone from the word of mouth this generates.

    MuddBudd on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MuddBudd wrote:
    ArcticXC wrote:
    So uh.. did anybody else see that Turner is gonna actually pay up.

    I'm fairly annoyed that they're bending over so easily.
    I, uh, just mentioned that. Like, five posts ago.

    Anyway, better for them to pay it than for the city to try to extort it out of the guys who put the things up.
    Are you kidding? Even paying the costs, this is still well spent money. You can't usually buy advertising this good. They will make this up in ticket sales alone from the word of mouth this generates.
    Yeah, but I still wish Turner would stand up to the fuckers, and tell them where they can shove their fine.

    It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing.

    Thanatos on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Why doesn't Ted Turner morph into Captain Planet?

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Cantido wrote:
    Why doesn't Ted Turner morph into Captain Planet?

    Because Ted Turner was one of the villains on that show.

    DarkPrimus on
    wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm a little disappointed. Besides the fact that I'm sure Turner is shielded from liability for the actions of a outside contractor (assuming they had no prior knowledge of any illegal activity), I'm no sure I like the precedence of this.

    Combine this with the shitstorm over the GTA ads in the Boston subways that they already agreed to run, and I'm increasingly convinced Boston's mayor is a gibbering retard.

    werehippy on
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    werehippy wrote:
    I'm a little disappointed. Besides the fact that I'm sure Turner is shielded from liability for the actions of a outside contractor (assuming they had no prior knowledge of any illegal activity), I'm no sure I like the precedence of this.

    Combine this with the shitstorm over the GTA ads in the Boston subways that they already agreed to run, and I'm increasingly convinced Boston's mayor is a gibbering retard.

    wait, what? o_O

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited February 2007
    Lanz wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    I'm a little disappointed. Besides the fact that I'm sure Turner is shielded from liability for the actions of a outside contractor (assuming they had no prior knowledge of any illegal activity), I'm no sure I like the precedence of this.

    Combine this with the shitstorm over the GTA ads in the Boston subways that they already agreed to run, and I'm increasingly convinced Boston's mayor is a gibbering retard.

    wait, what? o_O
    There were some GTA ads that some people found offensive. They got taken down by the city, despite previously approving them.

    I don't know the details offhand.

    Edit: Here's a link:

    http://gamepolitics.com/2006/11/22/boston-transit-police-demand-removal-of-gta-ads-from-subway-trains/

    They link the original article, but it's "archived". You'd have to pay to read it.

    A choice quote:
    These games threaten and risk the lives of police officers. To use a public conveyance in our city to sell a product that condones murdering police officers is complete lunacy.

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lanz wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    I'm a little disappointed. Besides the fact that I'm sure Turner is shielded from liability for the actions of a outside contractor (assuming they had no prior knowledge of any illegal activity), I'm no sure I like the precedence of this.

    Combine this with the shitstorm over the GTA ads in the Boston subways that they already agreed to run, and I'm increasingly convinced Boston's mayor is a gibbering retard.

    wait, what? o_O

    Here

    Boston transit sells advertising space in the subways and on buses, and agreed to run GTA ads (for the PSP game I think) for a few months. About halfway through the contract, the mayor apparently finds out and has some sort of epic public hissy fit about Sony "dirtying up their subways" and posing a danger to local cops and so on, and demands they remove the ads. I can't remember all the specifics, but he came across as an idiot who overreacts at the drop of a hat then too.

    werehippy on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    Florida must be fuming with jealousy

    nexuscrawler on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I just came into the room so to speak and I gotta say, some people are retarded. Yahoo has this article up:

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices

    And I'd like to quote a couple things:
    They say the key difficulties prosecutors face are demonstrating that the men intended to cause fear, and that the devices, which depict a cartoon character, looked dangerous. The state must prove both to win felony convictions for placing a hoax device, the experts said.
    "It's clear the intent was to get attention by causing fear and unrest that there was a bomb in that location," Grossman said.
    There was barely a stir in nine other cities across the country where similar devices were placed.
    White-Lief said it could also prove difficult to win convictions on a second count the men face, misdemeanor disorderly conduct, which is generally related to an immediate annoyance or threat. But the devices were in place for a couple of weeks before police were notified.
    "If they were bombs, at that response rate, the city would have been screwed," said Norajean McCarthy, 24, a friend of both suspects.

    Safety officials, however, have praised the response as evidence of the city's ability to respond quickly to a crisis.

    "The coordinated response by all departments proves the system we have in place works," Mayor Thomas Menino said.

    Who else thinks Boston is trying to really hurt these guys legally just to cover up the fact that they completely reacted inappropriately? Not just because it was an ad campaign, but because if they WERE bombs, then no one would have known until they were detonated. Boston basically failed both tests.

    Nova_C on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    Florida must be fuming with jealousy

    Florida has the sympathy crowd right now. They don't need ridicule.

    Glaeal on
    Qingu wrote: »
    In fact, there was never any decree by God through the Prophet that they couldn't recieve the priesthood.
    The last nine words of this statement are unnecessary.
  • hambonehambone Registered User
    edited February 2007
    Florida must be fuming with jealousy

    :lol:

    hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there a way we could blame this on the Irish?

    nexuscrawler on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there a way we could blame this on the Irish?


    arn't all boston police Irish?

    redx on
    This machine kills threads.
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there a way we could blame this on the Irish?

    Hey come on now. There are stupid people in every ethnicity. And we all know that the stupid, out of touch, greedy people are the ones that excel in politics. This just means that Thomas Menino has a good shot at the Presidency.

    Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Are you nocking the very idea of that project or the shotty construction that led to leaks and an eventual structural collapse along a portion of a tunnel which killed a passenger in a car?

    moniker on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MSNBC was reporting that they dropped the charges, earlier. No surprise.

    Thanatos on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote:
    MSNBC was reporting that they dropped the charges, earlier. No surprise.

    Granted, its pretty tough to win a case when prosecution exibit number 1 is a lite brite.

    Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goumindong wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    MSNBC was reporting that they dropped the charges, earlier. No surprise.

    Granted, its pretty tough to win a case when prosecution exibit number 1 is a lite brite.

    A lite brite solely designed to inspire fear and terror no less.

    werehippy on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Are you nocking the very idea of that project or the shotty construction that led to leaks and an eventual structural collapse along a portion of a tunnel which killed a passenger in a car?

    Both? Indeed, as one lead to the other in a rather direct fashion?

    Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Are you nocking the very idea of that project or the shotty construction that led to leaks and an eventual structural collapse along a portion of a tunnel which killed a passenger in a car?

    Both? Indeed, as one lead to the other in a rather direct fashion?

    How would you have proposed replacing the central artery, preferably while removing the edge aspect that it produced in the neighborhoods that it divided/producing a seam between those segregated neighborhoods?

    moniker on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited February 2007
    Goumindong wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    MSNBC was reporting that they dropped the charges, earlier. No surprise.

    Granted, its pretty tough to win a case when prosecution exibit number 1 is a lite brite.
    What if somebody used a Lite-Brite to bludgeon someone to death

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Are you nocking the very idea of that project or the shotty construction that led to leaks and an eventual structural collapse along a portion of a tunnel which killed a passenger in a car?

    Both? Indeed, as one lead to the other in a rather direct fashion?

    How would you have proposed replacing the central artery, preferably while removing the edge aspect that it produced in the neighborhoods that it divided/producing a seam between those segregated neighborhoods?

    With a plan that didn't take 40 years, double billions over budget and with construction companies that might, you know, use up to par materials?

    Maybe?

    Because if you're saying this is the best they can do, well maybe you should run for Mayor of Boston.

    Watch out for those Lite-Brights though. I hear they Asplode.

    Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Are you nocking the very idea of that project or the shotty construction that led to leaks and an eventual structural collapse along a portion of a tunnel which killed a passenger in a car?

    Both? Indeed, as one lead to the other in a rather direct fashion?

    How would you have proposed replacing the central artery, preferably while removing the edge aspect that it produced in the neighborhoods that it divided/producing a seam between those segregated neighborhoods?

    With a plan that didn't take 40 years, double billions over budget and with construction companies that might, you know, use up to par materials?

    Maybe?

    Because if you're saying this is the best they can do, well maybe you should run for Mayor of Boston.

    Watch out for those Lite-Brights though. I hear they Asplode.

    So it wasn't actually both and just the shotty implementation. Gotcha.

    moniker on
  • LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goumindong wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    MSNBC was reporting that they dropped the charges, earlier. No surprise.

    Granted, its pretty tough to win a case when prosecution exibit number 1 is a lite brite.
    What if somebody used a Lite-Brite to bludgeon someone to death

    it has to have "I did it" filled in on the board

    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    I wonder if Boston is proud, being the laughing stock of America and everything.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig


    Boston was really just kinda taking a break when Florida stole the limelight.

    Boston obviously wanted the limelight back.

    Either that, or you know, the city just has a history of being run by retards... you know... whichever...

    Are you nocking the very idea of that project or the shotty construction that led to leaks and an eventual structural collapse along a portion of a tunnel which killed a passenger in a car?

    Both? Indeed, as one lead to the other in a rather direct fashion?

    How would you have proposed replacing the central artery, preferably while removing the edge aspect that it produced in the neighborhoods that it divided/producing a seam between those segregated neighborhoods?

    With a plan that didn't take 40 years, double billions over budget and with construction companies that might, you know, use up to par materials?

    Maybe?

    Because if you're saying this is the best they can do, well maybe you should run for Mayor of Boston.

    Watch out for those Lite-Brights though. I hear they Asplode.

    So it wasn't actually both and just the shotty implementation. Gotcha.

    At what point does it not become the responsibility of the people dreaming up the plan to see it implemented correctly and with some form wherein the plan may reach fruition in a non-fucktarded fashion?

    Because I have this great idea to build an elevator to the moon. Don't blame me if it's completely impractical.

    Hyperbole aside, your argument opens the floodgates to completely absolve the Bush administration of any fault in the war, and soley blame the generals and the troops.

    So um, no.

    Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    Hyperbole aside, your argument opens the floodgates to completely absolve the Bush administration of any fault in the war, and soley blame the generals.

    o_O
    O_o

    You have some rather interesting leaps in logic there.

    moniker on
Sign In or Register to comment.