As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bomb hoax in Boston--Marketing campaign

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lanz wrote:
    TripKMA wrote:
    I really really hope this somehow becomes an ATHF episode.

unlikely. AS did an apology bump tonight

Well, that shows how fast they can turnaround bumps.

What did it say?

Edit: Ah, probably something along the lines of this.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    TripKMA wrote:

What did it say?

Wow, that's a pathetic apology. My already-low estimation of AS bumps has dipped even further.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    TripKMA wrote:

What did it say?

Wow, that's a pathetic apology. My already-low estimation of AS bumps has dipped even further.
    What?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For one, that website is probably getting hammered, and that message is probably a lawyer written response.

But yeah. When AS gets serious.. it's almost scary.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The apology was weak. On a somewhat-unrelated note, the Adult Swim bumps suck in general. They have for years, anyway.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The apology was weak.
    How so? They should cut their wrists and bleed in shame because of other people's douchetardedness?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    For one, that website is probably getting hammered, and that message is probably a lawyer written response.

I know they probably thought it was the right venue, but running that thing was a mistake. Stoned college kids don't want to read that shit.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    The apology was weak.
    How so? They should cut their wrists and bleed in shame because of other people's douchetardedness?

Personally, I don't think they should bother apologizing. For that specific bump, however, the wording was really pathetic. You don't apologize for someone mistaking something for a bomb. That doesn't even make any sense.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:

I know they probably thought it was the right venue, but running that thing was a mistake. Stoned college kids don't want to read that shit.

... That wasn't written for stoned college kids.

Dude. Since early today, all that has been on CNN and Fox News and CBS and NBC and ABC has been "ADULT SWIM AD CAUSES BOMB SCARE."

Now.. somewhere along there... the words Adult Swim are gonna get into people's minds. Some of those might even be curious enough to actually go to the website, or watch the block of TV. Thus, disclaimers have to be put up for -those- people.

Mark my words. Tonight will mark AS's highest ratings in a long time.

Athenor on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, merch?
    Merch.

main.png

Caption reads: "ATHF is the bomb."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Capitalism works hella fast

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd buy one if I liked ATHF that much.

Athenor on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You don't apologize for someone mistaking something for a bomb. That doesn't even make any sense.
    Oh but people do.
    "We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was mistaken for a public danger," Kent said.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Capitalism works hella fast

ElJeffe would be proud.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't like ATHF at all but the LED mooninites appeal to me aesthetically for some reason. (Fuck if I even knew what a mooninite was before tonight.) Maybe it's the retro video game look they've got.

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Feral wrote:
    I don't like ATHF at all but the LED mooninites appeal to me aesthetically for some reason. Maybe it's the retro video game look they've got.

Oh... yeah, I can follow that. I hope this starts an LED phase of sprite art. I just don't like the bird flicking and the angry face. =P

Edit: Plus I don't think the Mooninites use standard pixel sizes across the entire canvas. =P

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    I hope this starts an LED phase of sprite art. I just don't like the bird flicking and the angry face.

Ooh, ooh, ooh! LED Invaders! That's totally worth getting arrested for!

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Feral wrote:
    Athenor wrote:
    I hope this starts an LED phase of sprite art. I just don't like the bird flicking and the angry face.

LED Mario or Samus... or even a Metroid or the Triforce.

Man, ultra-bright LED's... I really think we're seeing the beginning of the hot new geek item for 2007. =)

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

LED Mario or Samus... or even a Metroid or the Triforce.

Man, ultra-bright LED's... I really think we're seeing the beginning of the hot new geek item for 2007. =)

[?] blocks and Lakitus are where its at.

Feral on

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Yar wrote:
    I don't see any mention of ATHF.
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Boston police have been working with state police, as well as the ATF, to deal with it.
    They're working with the Boston Police. GoodOmens just made a typo in their OP.

Actually, I did mean ATF. Like, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Local radio was reporting that they were called in, but later TV coverage seems to call that into question.

I wasn't even thinking of the ATF/ATHF similarity. My pardons for any confusion.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, I'm sure I'm an idiot and retard and ignorant for even presuming to ask this, but, given that everyone here seems to be smarter than those in charge, how precisely would you have handled the situation?

A subway worker calls in a report of a suspicious item, a large piece of electronics with wires protruding from it, attached to a ramp leading to a major interstate highway in a city which recieved major criticism for being where 9/11 started. He reports it to the police, who, amazingly, don't instantly recognize it as a viral marketing campaign for a show which is not identified in any way on the item. They treat it as a potentially dangerous object, which it is, because it's an electronic thing (my pardons for repeating myself) attached to the ramp leading to a major interstate highway. They decide to destroy it in order to prevent the possibility of it actually being a bomb.

The local news reports the incident (because that's their job), which leads to other reports of similar items. The police call in the State Police, invesigate, discover there was no danger, report that to the public, and it's over. It wasn't until 2-3 pm (according to Boston.com) that a police analyst recognized the character. By 4 it was basically done.

Even if they did instantly realize that the first item was not dangerous, even if they somehow instantly knew that it was just a piece of an ineffective and foolish marketing campaign for a TV show that nearly nobody knows about, would they be justified in then ignoring the later reports of suspicious items found all around the city?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    The apology was weak.

Personally, I don't think they should bother apologizing. For that specific bump, however, the wording was really pathetic. You don't apologize for someone mistaking something for a bomb. That doesn't even make any sense.
    You should work as Bush's personal publicist.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just saw a cnn story about this and I had to find out more.

Well, after several intensive minutes of googling I came across:

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/02/01/aqua_teen_hunge.php

I was expecting a skyscaper full of moonie, but I got this. Very dissapointing.

I also read CNN's take on this matter since they are part of the same corporation and this struck out at me:
    Turner Broadcasting said the devices had been in place for two to three weeks in Boston; New York; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

At most these guys can be charged with placing signs up without a permit or on private property. It's a shame that this blew up to what it is now.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is so retarded. Looking at the pictures of it, how could someone with even a passing knowledge in the subject confuse this with a bomb? Bombs typically have some sort of explosive material in them, they aren't magical. I fail to see where a nontrival amount of anything that goes boom could be on it, even if the battery pack is covered. A few seconds of thought should be sufficient to realize how implausible this setup is and make the bomb explanation significantly lower on the list of probable explanations.

The response is at least as retarded. Let's say you get to the step where this thing looks kind of funny and might be harmful on some off chance. I could see calling out the bomb squad on one of them to check it out and cover all your bases. I don't see stirring up mass paranoia and inhibiting large sections of your infrastructure on something so dubious.

Bomb hoax my ass, this is just outright incompetant governance. The real villians are the ones who blew this way out of proportion and are calling for blood. Hopefully someone who has some sort of media clout can point out the obvious in how ridiculous this whole situation is.

Savant on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Savant wrote:
    Hopefully someone who has some sort of media clout can point out the obvious in how ridiculous this whole situation is.

I agree with you, but is there anyone left with any good media clout? Everyone I can think of is either dead or retired.

I would love to hear Walter Cronkite tell the mayor of Boston, "You sir, are retarded."

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    tallgeeze wrote:
    Savant wrote:
    Hopefully someone who has some sort of media clout can point out the obvious in how ridiculous this whole situation is.

I agree with you, but is there anyone left with any good media clout? Everyone I can think of is either dead or retired.

I would love to hear Walter Cronkite tell the mayor of Boston, "You sir, are retarded."

Unfortunately, the forces of Comedy Central about the only ones I can think of up to the job. Maybe some random pundit could wake up and have a good common sense day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Boston local governance being incompetant seems to be the obvious result of this. They shouldn't feel too bad though, they aren't alone in that regard.

Savant on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Savant wrote:
    tallgeeze wrote:
    Savant wrote:

Unfortunately, the forces of Comedy Central about the only ones I can think of up to the job. Maybe some random pundit could wake up and have a good common sense day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Boston local governance being incompetant seems to be the obvious result of this. They shouldn't feel too bad though, they aren't alone in that regard.

It's not like it's anything new. See: Dig, Big.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ""It's clear the intent was to get attention by causing fear and unrest that there was a bomb in that location," Assistant Attorney General John Grossman said at their arraignment."

http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_032062012.html

bull shit

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not sure if this was mentioned already but...

Fake Pipe-bombs were found by police at the same time of the signs

This is what caused the bomb scare. But good luck getting the mayor and police to admit they are wrong.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

This is what caused the bomb scare. But good luck getting the mayor and police to admit they are wrong.

AHHHHHHHH!

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Akilae729 wrote:

AHHHHHHHH!

...huh. So Boston's not quite as dumb as we thought.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Akilae729 wrote:

AHHHHHHHH!

Given what their government/police are continuing to alledge against the advertisers, yes they fucking are.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Akilae729 wrote:

AHHHHHHHH!

The pipe bombs were found five hours after they started freaking out about the advertizements.

So no, they are idiots and the huffy attempts at retribution are comedic gold.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Akilae729 wrote:

AHHHHHHHH!

Given what their government/police are continuing to alledge against the advertisers, yes they fucking are.

I didn't say they were significantly less dumb.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hey, so has anyone seen pictures of the back of these things?

I'm just kinda wondering if there is any contact information on them.

The fake bomb hoax caused a real bomb hoax to be uncovered. Uhh... go Adult Swim for helping to protect us from actual bomb hoaxes! woot!

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey guys, somebody has one of the lights on ebay
    Ebay action, GO!

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yeah, don't think that is actually going to go through. Could kinda be considerd evidence in an on-going court case and shit.

up to 5 grand now? Jesus.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Feral wrote:
    So, merch?
    Merch.

main.png

Caption reads: "ATHF is the bomb."

The back should read "The Innocent Shall Suffer. Big Time."

I swear, I don't think I've ever seen something quite as meta-hilarious as catching Fox News last night, and seeing their big important graphic featuring an LED Irr flipping me off. I think it short circuited my brain.

However, I have a hard time seeing what this advertising campaign was trying to accomplish. Just throwing a bunch of random LED displays with no context around the city isn't really going to bring much attention to the ATHF movie, since the Mooninites are so clandestine that the only people that it would really effect in any proactive way would be people who already know about the show and the movie. Everyone else would be confused.

It seems to me that the only way for the advertising here to work would be if something like this actually happened.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's a form of viral marketing. It gets people talking. And not as a bomb hoax.

Ludious on