Options

what is the hardest thing you've ever had to do

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah I imagine the luster of being catcalled will vanish after it gets old

also probably the first time you have a guy get all transphobic after he's been hitting on you for a while and then he finds out or something

Pony on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is nothing that will affirm your dominance like slapping the piss out of a dude.

Trust me on that one.

Guy being an abusive prick to this girl I knew in junior high, I grabbed him by his lapels and slapped him so hard my fucking hand swelled up a bit and he started spitting blood. Three or four more of those without a response, other than to apologize to the girl.

Also I made him apologize to me for wasting my goddamn time.

edit: i wanna get catcalled at.

like, by a group of chicks.

girls just hanging out in front of the fucking Bath and Body Works at the mall or something, leering at dudes over their sunglasses.

"WOO, I LIKE THE CHUBBY ONES!"

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    JC of DI wrote: »
    JC, your old therapist sounds like a douchebag who shouldn't be trusted with a goldfish

But I'm sure you knew that already

Yeah - I realized that immediately and even though my parents were SO relieved to find out how much of a ticking timebomb I was, I kept calling and canceling the appointments that they would set up.

It took quite a few years before I could even suggest to somebody else that therapy might be a thing to look into if they were having troubles.

Mine decided that I was depressed. No, wait, I had narcissistic personality disorder. Wait, no, I was schizophrenic.

Later he crashed and burned when it came to light that he'd been sleeping with his patients

Ughhhh

I seriously cannot fathom the thought process of a person who does that type of shit. Think I'm gonna go back to never suggesting therapy to anyone.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    you are an asshole to the extent that it is a medical condition

Okay I'm sorry, Pony, but that's pretty funny.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    maybe

probably not

fuck em for being squares

my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    There is nothing that will affirm your dominance like slapping the piss out of a dude.

Trust me on that one.

Guy being an abusive prick to this girl I knew in junior high, I grabbed him by his lapels and slapped him so hard my fucking hand swelled up a bit and he started spitting blood. Three or four more of those without a response, other than to apologize to the girl.

I hope you are not pulling any of my legs

because I love this story

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dubh wrote: »

Trust me on that one.

I am not pulling any legs of any kind, sir.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    :^:

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited December 2010

Trust me on that one.

on the other hand your wrist must be really fucking tired by now

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    JC, your old therapist sounds like a douchebag who shouldn't be trusted with a goldfish

Yeah - I realized that immediately and even though my parents were SO relieved to find out how much of a ticking timebomb I was, I kept calling and canceling the appointments that they would set up.

It took quite a few years before I could even suggest to somebody else that therapy might be a thing to look into if they were having troubles.

Mine decided that I was depressed. No, wait, I had narcissistic personality disorder. Wait, no, I was schizophrenic.

Later he crashed and burned when it came to light that he'd been sleeping with his patients

Ughhhh

I seriously cannot fathom the thought process of a person who does that type of shit. Think I'm gonna go back to never suggesting therapy to anyone.

Maybe we should just become therapists ourselves!

I'm sure we've experienced enough bullshit to recycle that bullshit and put up a convincing facade

And then ultimately manipulate people at their most vulnerable for sex and money

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

Trust me on that one.

on the other hand your wrist must be really fucking tired by now

Ma'am, I keep my pimp-hand strong.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Trust me on that one.

Metz, are you the hunter in the second half of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Odo_dEU9Uk

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Goatmon wrote: »
    you are an asshole to the extent that it is a medical condition

Okay I'm sorry, Pony, but that's pretty funny.

seriously

my psychiatrist basically is like "you're pretty much a tribal throwback to a time when the big alpha male asshole was sorta necessary for the survival of his tribe but it's a behavior that gets socialized out of most people, with you it hasn't because your brain is apparently hardwired for it"

he put it a little more gently than that and tried to spin it in a positive way in the same way that psychiatrists try to tell aspies they're geniuses or something

but really what it came down to is i'm basically as much of a merciless shit-heel as a sociopath or a narcissist but i'm obviously capable of some pretty deep empathy and compassion, especially for my "tribe" of friends and family that i am ruthlessly protective of

so it means i don't really fit into the current DSM which basically defines all the big personality disorders as lacking in empathy, which i obviously don't but am capable of burying pretty deep when i have to as a defense mechanism

i appear fully capable of just shutting my conscience off for periods of months or years at a time before eventually having a breakdown over it, and it's some kind of survivalist mindset thing

whatever, man

i don't take it too seriously

i can't take a diagnosis that doesn't have medical community consensus behind it to be anything more than his elaborate theory as to why i don't fit into his little boxes.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Ughhhh

It sounds like you guys have all had to deal with some pretty shitty therapists.

I've been seeing a guy who's easily the best I've ever known, and I've seen a bunch. The guy's christian, but it doesn't really come out much in the sessions. He occasionally comments about God, but rarely and never pressures me about being more strict in my faith or anything like that. It's more like a Fred Rogers thing where it's just a fact to him that comes up sometimes but he doesn't really broadcast it to those who have no interest in discussing it.

He's very nice, but gives me shit when necessary without being too hard where he doesn't need to be. He's one of those guys who's not strictly into it for the money. Until I got medicare recently, which is gonna pay for weekly sessions, he was seeing me for free for some time now after my previous insurance ran out of coverage for our visits a year or so ago.

He's a great guy, and I'm glad to know him. He's getting up there in years, though, and like me he's a type 1 Diabetic. It makes me sad to know he probably won't be around in another ten years. :(

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited December 2010

Ughhhh

Maybe we should just become therapists ourselves!

I'm sure we've experienced enough bullshit to recycle that bullshit and put up a convincing facade

And then ultimately manipulate people at their most vulnerable for sex and money

Really we're doing a service - someone needs to be grooming the next generation of great psychologists in the same way we learned how!

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    a dude in an aggressive confrontation with another dude generally does not know how to react to a pimpslap

especially a back of the hand

i've done it and had a guy just sort of stare at me, mystified

it's just so outside what a dude in that sort of situation expects to happen that being brazen enough to do it establishes all sorts of weird dominance psychology and he acquiesces

Pony on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think by the time I was 19 I knew I was probably a narcissist. Took a psychology class on mental disorders, now I am fairly confident.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I haven't had much luck with therapists

I always feel like I'm being talked down to, or they manage to stir up a bunch of shit in my head and give me nothing to handle it with- and then work and school suffers

The Stanford people were pretty good, though

Thoroughly impressed with that institution

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Probably the hardest shit I've ever had to do, honestly, was live in Africa. Getting used to that, what with all the starving kids and shit, was tough. Fortunately it was seventh grade year so I didn't really miss anything in school whatsoever.

Also tough was having to call out my dad on something he did once that left me minorly depressed (it was something stupidly small he said that just kind of grew into a complex in my mind) and the conversation kinda turned into a general talk on life from there, which was nice. Just trying to spit it out was tough, though.

Also trying to start longboarding again after crashing at twenty-odd miles an hour and getting road rash is... tough.

But honestly compared to some of you guys I feel like I've had it fucking good, and I just want to give so many of you hugs. So many of you. Especially everyone.

Also Arivia, I know a really tall transsexual (one s or two?) with a relatively flat chest (probably would be large on, say, a Japanese woman but she's 6'5") and she looks gorgeous. No idea what you look like, but a lot of women don't really need giant chesticular fortitude. If you want DDs go for it cos they're your tits, but hey a large C is always wonderful and good for your back.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm 19 there is nothing difficult about my life.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    yeah, gettin' catcalls is pretty nice when you're more or less a walking set of body image issues

although I seem to get more creepy would-be sex offender comeons than catcalls ;_______;

awww

yeah

being trans is like the worst body image thing ever

my bf started worrying once and I just pretty much went "I sympathize but honey you have totally got it way easier"

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    he put it a little more gently than that and tried to spin it in a positive way in the same way that psychiatrists try to tell aspies they're geniuses or something

I think this is a pretty good thing to do, so long as it's applied realistically.

I mean, not everyone with aspergers is gonna be amazingly good at math or have a perfect memory or something.

But some problems, ones that set people apart from the norm, also have strengths that come from that, and I see no reason why people shouldn't be encouraged to take some small pride in that strength, so long as they also understand the drawbacks that need to be dealt with.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

Trust me on that one.

Metz, are you the hunter in the second half of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Odo_dEU9Uk

this video won't load for me so i'm just gonna say yes.

also when i was in fifth grade i tried to organize my fellow students against the teachers to overthrow the school.

again, i pull no legs.

i was the tiniest revolutionary.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    years ago a psychiatrist diagnosed me with anti-social personality disorder

i was medically defined as a sociopath

rather than being upset by this, i went "IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW" as if it made the way i'd been an absolute shit human being excusable because i have a condition okay

so much like some people with Asperger's (or more accurately, nerds on the internet who claimed to have Asperger's) rather than acknowledge my condition as a problem to be worked with I wore it as some kind of excuse-badge to try to absolve myself of responsibility for my behavior

and to squelch the burgeoning voices of my repressed conscience and guilt, which i did for years and years

i allowed that diagnosis to partially define me as a person, which was terrible

that changed only a few years ago, and it took some pretty awful things to happen to me (and obv. a new psychiatrist) for things to change and for me to accept that not was that psychiatrist wrong in the first place

i had used that diagnosis as a defense mechanism to shield myself from dealing with my real problems

Pony on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if there's any way to state this without coming off as melodramatic.

But actually accepting your own death, not learning to ignore or downplay it, but to genuinely come to terms with the human condition, has pretty much made every other problem in life feel like cake to deal with.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I guess coming out will be difficult, but more so to my friends than my family.

Except my dad. He grilled me yesterday about if I was hanging out Christmas Eve with a girl and why I don't have a girlfriend.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Probably the hardest shit I've ever had to do, honestly, was live in Africa. Getting used to that, what with all the starving kids and shit, was tough. Fortunately it was seventh grade year so I didn't really miss anything in school whatsoever.

Also tough was having to call out my dad on something he did once that left me minorly depressed (it was something stupidly small he said that just kind of grew into a complex in my mind) and the conversation kinda turned into a general talk on life from there, which was nice. Just trying to spit it out was tough, though.

Also trying to start longboarding again after crashing at twenty-odd miles an hour and getting road rash is... tough.

But honestly compared to some of you guys I feel like I've had it fucking good, and I just want to give so many of you hugs. So many of you. Especially everyone.

Also Arivia, I know a really tall transsexual (one s or two?) with a relatively flat chest (probably would be large on, say, a Japanese woman but she's 6'5") and she looks gorgeous. No idea what you look like, but a lot of women don't really need giant chesticular fortitude. If you want DDs go for it cos they're your tits, but hey a large C is always wonderful and good for your back.

oh it's not necessary

I just like the idea

as someone in D&D's [chat] noted, if I was born in the US and had the body for it right now I would definitely be doing porn/whatever to support myself through uni

it's just sort of my thing

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    a dude in an aggressive confrontation with another dude generally does not know how to react to a pimpslap

especially a back of the hand

i've done it and had a guy just sort of stare at me, mystified

it's just so outside what a dude in that sort of situation expects to happen that being brazen enough to do it establishes all sorts of weird dominance psychology and he acquiesces

acques.... URRG :x

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    yeah, gettin' catcalls is pretty nice when you're more or less a walking set of body image issues

although I seem to get more creepy would-be sex offender comeons than catcalls ;_______;

awww

yeah

being trans is like the worst body image thing ever

my bf started worrying once and I just pretty much went "I sympathize but honey you have totally got it way easier"

please keep in mind that it isn't a contest

your boyfriend has a whole festive fun grab-bag of self-depreciation issues and you trying to point out how you have it worse than him doesn't really comfort or help him much at all

in fact it just makes him feel shitty for having the issues in the first place and adds guilt to his existing neuroses

just FYI

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    years ago a psychiatrist diagnosed me with anti-social personality disorder

i was medically defined as a sociopath

rather than being upset by this, i went "IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW" as if it made the way i'd been an absolute shit human being excusable because i have a condition okay

so much like some people with Asperger's (or more accurately, nerds on the internet who claimed to have Asperger's) rather than acknowledge my condition as a problem to be worked with I wore it as some kind of excuse-badge to try to absolve myself of responsibility for my behavior

and to squelch the burgeoning voices of my repressed conscience and guilt, which i did for years and years

i allowed that diagnosis to partially define me as a person, which was terrible

that changed only a few years ago, and it took some pretty awful things to happen to me (and obv. a new psychiatrist) for things to change and for me to accept that not was that psychiatrist wrong in the first place

i had used that diagnosis as a defense mechanism to shield myself from dealing with my real problems

I have zero experience with mental disorders but this is something I agree with.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Metz, in kindergarten my mom used to get calls from my school because I would fight bullies in my classes.

It is one of my favorite stories concerning myself because I like that, even at the age of five (a year after overcoming being born deaf & remaining so till four), I knew what had to be done.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every once in a while I honestly wonder if I'm bicurious. I can't really say sexual on that one because I've never, you know, had bi sex. I would fuck 1970s era David Bowie, at the very least.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

oh it's not necessary

I just like the idea

as someone in D&D's [chat] noted, if I was born in the US and had the body for it right now I would definitely be doing porn/whatever to support myself through uni

it's just sort of my thing

wowsers, pennie

is that a monstrously terrible idea

Arivia you don't know good fuck all about the American amateur porn industry do you?

Pony on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    People who constantly ask, nay, demand to know about relationship statuses are tactless buttholes who need slapped upside the head

Yes Great Aunt M, that means you too

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Every once in a while I honestly wonder if I'm bicurious. I can't really say sexual on that one because I've never, you know, had bi sex. I would fuck 1970s era David Bowie, at the very least.

Who wouldn't though?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    if it was a contest we'd totally be ruining shit though

aw yeah bring on those misery olympics

I used to have a really good pile of trans self-deprecating jokes. Like "gay people have pride parades. we have funeral processions."

@Pony: No, it's not a contest and I do try really hard to help him out.

And no I do not know! But I can dreaaaaam.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    if it was a contest we'd totally be ruining shit though

aw yeah bring on those misery olympics

i would destroy all comers

lets be honest it would come down to like, me stale and munkus again

and stale would win

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Metz, in kindergarten my mom used to get calls from my school because I would fight bullies in my classes.

It is one of my favorite stories concerning myself because I like that, even at the age of five (a year after overcoming being born deaf & remaining so till four), I knew what had to be done.

My mom, when talking about some of our shitty neighbors and their shitty children, used to tell me about how one of their kids, some sort of down's syndrome case named Chris, who was twice my size once upon a time, used to pick on me a lot ,sometimes mildly violently.

His mother did nothing to stop this, of course. In fact, she threw out another neighbor's back by roughly grabbing the woman's arm after said woman grabbed her son's arm to stop him from bashing me over the head with some plastic doodad as an impromptu club.

Well, one day I come flying into the house, like I'm trying to outrun a stampede. Moments later, Chris and his mother come hurrying up to our door.

Chris has a bloody nose.

Teehee.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    there are things i discuss on the internet

my sexual orientation, my religious beliefs, my political viewpoints, personal philosophies on life n shit

bad experiences and awful stories about my life, bitching about my family, etc.

that i'd pretty much never do in person

it's not even because of anonymity, really, i make zero effort to hide my identity and i hang out with a bunch of forumers outside the internet on a regular basis!

so, i dunno

i guess it's easier in text for me to just blah blah blah about whatever

I read the other day that different forms of expression come on a spectrum of most protected to most vulnerable, with writing being one side for most people and something like dancing on the other.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also hard has just been dealing with my parents in general after my brother's death. (Which, as an aside, I've only actually been able to reference as his "death" for about a week. Before it was more just, "oh, yeah I was planning to do that and then my bro... and I just haven't gotten around to it yet.")

My mom has "coped" with it by completely burying herself in work, which means she has barely coped at all and on days without much to do she basically gets into the state that I was at the day after it happened.

My dad on the other hand has just stirred up more shit than usual except now everyone's vulnerable enough to where some of it really makes me want to just beat the shit out of him. A week after my brother died he mentions to my mom that he doesn't see their marriage going anywhere and wants a divorce. The next day he decides that she was too sad-looking about it and now they're going to stay together. His extreme sexism has only seemed to ramp up since it all happened as well, which is just great to listen to when I'm at home nowadays.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png