what is the hardest thing you've ever had to do

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    If anything, I envy bis

purely on the virtue of variety

something that makes me mad(?) is the notion that bisexuals are lucky because they have double the chances of finding someone

it just doesn't sit right with me for some reason but I'm not sure why

E: not that I'm saying that's what you're saying or anything, it just made me remember is all

yeah, that's not my thought process at all

mostly, it's about people appreciating a wider variety of aesthetics than I can

oh sure, definitely

maaaaaan I shaved my legs in the shower and now they're all prickly :<

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    in actuality it can be extremely difficult for bisexuals to date

if they choose at all at any point to disclose to their partner that they are bisexual

you don't have to, of course, because your partner will just assume you are whatever sexuality is compatible with dating them (if you're a dude and they're a dude, they'll assume you are gay, etc.)

and you can choose to just not correct them on that assumption

if you're just casually dating someone, this is fine, it's not like you need to disclose every sexual viewpoint and value you have on the first date or something

but if your relationship is becoming more serious they really kinda do have a right to know

they are the person you are having sex with, after all

if for no other reason than they have a right to have some understanding of your sexual experiences and such

if you choose only to disclose it at that point in the relationship and actively or passively concealed it up until that point it can feel like a hell of a betrayal even if they're not otherwise monosexist

and if they are monosexist, things will end up getting ugly

so if you are a bisexual person trying to date it can be an incredibly complex minefield of when, if at all, do you tell the person you are dating.

considering the attitude the gay community in particular has towards bisexuality this can make dating someone of the same gender incredibly frustrating and fraught with heartache for a bisexual.

Pony on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Geek wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    one time I kissed a frog
    and I liked it :oops:
    Naveen-Frog-prince-naveen-10629079-852-480.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1D9hA1tWIw
    I fucked your eggsac

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    fuck I really hope all this hatred and shit gets sorted by the time I start dating cause going through something like that is an experience I do NOT wish to partake in

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I do not envy that position, even if it would come with the benefit of enjoying dongs

BEARD on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    Gonna be an oldie with me, breaking up with a girl who i still loved because the situation wasn't working out and breaking up would work out best for both of us. She was devastated and its the first time ive ever initiated breaking up with someone and I handled it less than well.

All worked out well though in the end. And im pretty grateful its the hardest thing ive had to do.

Thankfully I've never had the actual breaking up of a girl be that horrific for me. But it has always been what comes from it that tears me up.

Like when an ex & I broke up in high school and agreed to be friends, but the next day she started altering her walking schedule so she wouldn't have to speak to me in addition to it being revealed she dumped me for an emotionally abusive guy who commanded her when she could speak (while I had been trying to work with her during our relationship on her public speak skills).

Or like when an ex in college broke up with me and agreed to be friends but the next couple weeks stopped any talking to be, told me she was going to try to hook up with one of my best friends, tried to crush me through authority at our campus radio station and lauded over me that she had found a 'perfect' boyfriend.

Ladies...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    BEARD wrote: »
    Okay

I don't think people are intolerant of bisexuality in the same way you see intolerance of transgendered or homosexual people though, unless they are all of these things, in which case they're just intolerant of everything. "Monosexism" isn't a belief people are going to have much conviction in.

hey beard isn't it crazy presumptuous on your part to tell me just how much conviction people feel over the subject when i actually have personal experience with it and have been broken up with over it multiple times and been rebuked from social gatherings over it and been insulted, belittled, and publicly mocked over it

maybe you should just stick to "hey i actually don't know all that much about this subject" and leave it at that.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Good god, chili cheese Fritos are delicious

BEARD on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yo I'll just worry about getting dates first, thanks

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    fuck I really hope all this hatred and shit gets sorted by the time I start dating cause going through something like that is an experience I do NOT wish to partake in

being broken up with because the person you are dating now knows you are bisexual fucking sucks.

it hurts, quite a lot, and it never really becomes something you get cool with

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I do not really know that much about the subject

BEARD on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »

date zonugal

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    Ulises wrote: »
    pony this is nuts

it's like you want to feel persecuted by something

those ___________* don't really have it that bad! they just want an excuse to get angry at us normal people!

*gays
    *women
    *transpeople
    *uppity blacks

yeah this is silly, undermining the level of discrimination anybody is faced with

sorry guys

i guess i might be facing plenty of the old monosexism and bisexual erasure myself in the coming years

Ulises on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    as a general notion people should avoid telling other people that a form of discrimination they've personally been the victim of is "not that big of a deal"

even if it looks, on some larger scale, as statistically insignificant to a larger percentage of people when you are talking to someone who has actually experienced it you might show some tact in refraining from belittling the severity or importance of it to them personally.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pony wrote: »

being broken up with because the person you are dating now knows you are bisexual fucking sucks.

it hurts, quite a lot, and it never really becomes something you get cool with

nuuuuuuh D;

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ooowwww I missed a couple places when shaving and now the back of my knee is all red and inflamed OWWW

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

date zonugal

how does he feel about boring hetero dudes

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Let me clarify

I don't think you don't have the right to be offended if somebody is intolerant of your bisexuality. You have the right to be offended as hell about that. I was just saying that it's hard to conceive of a person who could be tolerant of homosexuality and not bisexuality. It seems like monosexism is simply a side-effect of general bigotry.

But! You have more experience in the matter. So, these people exist, and they are assholes.

BEARD on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Its not all bad guys! My best friend is engaged to a bisexual personage who would argue into the dirt anyone who doubted or belittled her bisexuality or her love of my mate.

Beard I basically JUST did a class on this in Gender studies so this kind of stuff is fresh in my brain, the reaction of the 'gay community' to bisexuality in particular was/is pretty interesting/shocking.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I do not really know that much about the subject

that's okay

i didn't think you were being malicious

to be honest it's actually really hard to parse something like monosexism actually being an issue until you actually see or experience it for yourself.

because it's the sort of thing that, were people logical and non-hypocritical, shouldn't even happen!

so it's the sort of idea that is presented to someone and they're reflexively like "naw, man, that's crazy, that's not a real thing, that don't happen"

because they realize how incredibly baseless and ludicrous monosexism is and they're like "how could anyone who claims to be open-minded or cool with gay people also be such an asshole towards bisexuals?"

the answer, as is often the case with discrimination, is simply hypocrisy and stereotyping and the fact that being logically consistent is not exactly an extolled virtue in the minds of many

Pony on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

date zonugal

I've been told I am quite a catch.

Rawr!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'll tell the next girl I date that I am also into dudes, and see what happens

it's like when dave chapelle dressed up in whiteface

BEARD on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

date zonugal

I've been told I am quite a catch.

Rawr!

and he has a mouth where a dick would be!

infinite blowjobs~

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    how does he feel about boring hetero dudes

That happens to be my favorite type of hetero dude...

I'm sorry that is a lie.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ZONUGAL casts INFINITY BLOWJOB

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2010

It's super effective!

EVERYONE GETS OFF then FAINTS!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Um, excuse me. I believe the correct title is blowjobs of the infinite.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    IT IS SUPER EFFECTIVE!

edit: Dammit Arivia! Dammit!!!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ooowwww I missed a couple places when shaving and now the back of my knee is all red and inflamed OWWW

whuh

I have mountain man legs and I don't want to have mountain man legs so I shave and I didn't do a very good job of it this time and I got razor burn on the back of my knee

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    how do I ask a girl nicely to shave her pubes?

Franko on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Um, excuse me. I believe the correct title is blowjobs of the infinite.

shit

he's right as of last month's errata and rulings document

pack it up folks

we've been...outnerded

@Zonugal: you are welcome

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The obvious upgrades to the spell being

QUANTUM BLOWJOB

and

TENGAN TOPPA GURREN BLOWJOB

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Let me clarify

I don't think you don't have the right to be offended if somebody is intolerant of your bisexuality. You have the right to be offended as hell about that. I was just saying that it's hard to conceive of a person who could be tolerant of homosexuality and not bisexuality. It seems like monosexism is simply a side-effect of general bigotry.

But! You have more experience in the matter. So, these people exist, and they are assholes.

i understand that, especially that bolded thing

it seems logically impossible for a person to simultaneously hold that "gay=okay, bi=bad"

yet they do!

for reasons i explained, which aren't even good reasons but they are the reasons people use.

monosexism in the gay community in particular is a complex beast

because for one thing you have all those notions of hedonism and monogamy and all that i explained earlier

but also, and very few gay monosexists would admit this openly

is an intrinsic bitterness some gay people (especially gay men) have for bisexuals for the ability of bisexuals to easily "pass" in a heteronormative society, that bisexuals have an "unfair advantage" in that they have the "option" of dating someone of the opposite gender and arousing no suspicion or ire and being perfectly happy moseying along in straight society.

out of this belief, a lot of gay people think that bisexuals don't have the same vested interest in the gay rights movement and other associated things unless they're actively dating someone of the same gender, and especially not if they are in a monogamous relationship with someone of the opposite gender.

the vicious cycle of this is that these viewpoints largely serve to alienate bisexuals from the gay community and from queer activism, which only reinforces the belief of the gays that they don't care as much or aren't really "one of us" or whatever, which means they alienate them more, etc.

it's complicated and has a bunch of different factors involved, those are just some.

Pony on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Franko wrote: »

"Bitch, that shit be hairy yo. "

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i actually had to look up monosexism when I read it in here, but then I realised I totally know a gay dude who doesn't "believe in bisexuality" and i just hadn't thought about it

that has now contributed to my growing dislike of the guy

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

whuh

I have mountain man legs and I don't want to have mountain man legs so I shave and I didn't do a very good job of it this time and I got razor burn on the back of my knee

y-you have hair on the back of your knees?

whuh

I had a similar response when I discovered them!

they are a bitch and a half to get rid of, let me tell you

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

tell her that she is unfeminine and a hairy witch and that you won't sleep with her unless she shaves no matter what

that is the socially acceptable way

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I really would like to know why there's such a large proportion of transgendered folks associated with these forums, which (ostensibly!) have absolutely nothing to do with transgenderism. Are there some sorts of internet ley-lines converging here?

BEARD on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Very belated "great to hear it!" to you Whippy

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

tell her that she is unfeminine and a hairy witch and that you won't sleep with her unless she shaves no matter what

that is the socially acceptable way

umm I don't think I can say all that to my mom dude

Franko on