Options

what is the hardest thing you've ever had to do

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    i actually had to look up monosexism when I read it in here, but then I realised I totally know a gay dude who doesn't "believe in bisexuality" and i just hadn't thought about it

that has now contributed to my growing dislike of the guy

aaaaah

bisexual erasure infuriates me

i mean, gay people often have society telling them they are abominations or a plague or whatever

and that sucks

but at least people acknowledge they exist

being told your sexual orientation doesn't really exist and that you're just lying to yourself about who you are and "eventually you'll figure out" is so asinine and condescending and cruel it just

aaaaaaaaaaaaah

makes me so angry

Pony on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Learning basic social skills was pretty hard. Once I learned (and began to understand) What it meant to have Aspergers Syndrome, I became kind of obsessed over everything; body language, facial expressions, eye contact, tone of voice, choice of wording, etc.

It was a pretty gradual process, and I spent so much time developing that it feels like a lifetime ago. It was a whole lot of stress. Completely worth the effort, though.

This is why I have heavy sympathy for people who struggle socially, and zero sympathy for those who can't be bothered to learn from their mistakes.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BEARD wrote: »
    I really would like to know why there's such a large proportion of transgendered folks associated with these forums, which (ostensibly!) have absolutely nothing to do with transgenderism. Are there some sorts of internet ley-lines converging here?

it's probably because we're such an open minded community or some gay shit

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    how do I ask a girl nicely to shave her pubes?

tell her that she is unfeminine and a hairy witch and that you won't sleep with her unless she shaves no matter what

that is the socially acceptable way

umm I don't think I can say all that to my mom dude

What

Why would you be concerned with your moms pubes?

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hardest thing I've ever done is speak at my brother's funeral. Couldn't get the words out, started sobbing about two sentences in to what I wanted to say, sat down ashamed that i couldn't speak.

Also coming out to my friends was pretty nerve-wracking.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really would like to know why there's such a large proportion of transgendered folks associated with these forums, which (ostensibly!) have absolutely nothing to do with transgenderism. Are there some sorts of internet ley-lines converging here?

some gay-ass shit

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited December 2010

there isn't

there's actually an incredibly small proportion

careful how you use that word proportion, bro, it has meanings

a very, very small percentage of the forum's population is openly trans

maybe a much larger percentage are quietly trans or are lurkers or something but

of those who openly discuss it, i can from memory maybe count them on one hand?

some of whom are banned or don't post here anymore

the reason for your perception of this large amount is because the Penny Arcade forums are a remarkably tolerant and open-minded forum despite being largely composed of white male gamers in their 20's.

so the transpeople who do post here periodically feel comfortable openly discussing it

ain't nothing special about the board that attracts them, it's just the culture of the board that makes them more comfortable with discussing it

this is in addition to the usual internet anonymity effect of encouraging people to be more open about themselves and whatnot

Pony on
  • Options
    BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Some bisexual-ass shit.

Hmm

Maybe that's why people are so intolerant; it lacks the punch of calling somebody gay, or a dyke, or a tranny. There's no punch to it.

BEARD on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My girlfriend is constantly shaved. Theres this commercial on for women's shavers at the moment that constantly says "sick of that prickly cactus feeling under your arms after shaving?" and it just keeps saying 'prickley feeling' over and over until I have a boner.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i can attest to the fact that being bisexual pretty much owns.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Pretend to choke on one of the hairs while going down on her and get her to suggest that for safety reasons she shaves.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Some bisexual-ass shit.

Hmm

Maybe that's why people are so intolerant; it lacks the punch of calling somebody gay, or a dyke, or a tranny. There's no punch to it.

I think he's onto something, boys!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    there are things i discuss on the internet

my sexual orientation, my religious beliefs, my political viewpoints, personal philosophies on life n shit

bad experiences and awful stories about my life, bitching about my family, etc.

that i'd pretty much never do in person

it's not even because of anonymity, really, i make zero effort to hide my identity and i hang out with a bunch of forumers outside the internet on a regular basis!

so, i dunno

i guess it's easier in text for me to just blah blah blah about whatever

Pony on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

Pretend to choke on one of the hairs while going down on her and get her to suggest that for safety reasons she shaves.

I usually wouldn't risk going down on an unshaven girl

unless I forgot to floss my teeth before bed that day

Franko on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

60,000 members for what, 4 transfolk? not too off the "average"

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

It's cause we're just awesome like that.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Some bisexual-ass shit.

Hmm

to this day i've never heard anyone seriously utter in anger a slur directly targeted at bisexuals

i've seen people try to invent one as some kind of thought exercise or something but

so far as i know a slur for bisexuals doesn't really exist

probably because a bunch of people don't believe bisexuals exist

Pony on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Doing the paperwork with my parents to drop out of high school was particularly soul-crushing.

They both have college and grad school degrees, and to see them resigned to the fact that not one, but all three of their children had fundamentally fucked up their academic careers (and only one of them to even graduate high school)... I don't know if it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but for them, certainly.

I would feel terrible about it, but life got a lot better after that happened.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kosh, teefs, whippy, antimatter. Am I missing somebody? It's like when we used to try and name all the black kids at our high school.

BEARD on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think the closest is like they are greedy or indecisive or something? Something like that?

Also its christmas eve in Australia, I will ask Santa his opinions and get back to you guys

Frosty thats awful, and I can imagine the feeling, I came close to dropping out as well. But yeah 6 years later and highschool has really no bearing on my life, but at the time it was heinous.

Prohass on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kosh, teefs, whippy, antimatter. Am I missing somebody? It's like when we used to try and name all the black kids at our high school.

you just had to read the back of their jerseys

Franko on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Some bisexual-ass shit.

Hmm

to this day i've never heard anyone seriously utter in anger a slur directly targeted at bisexuals

i've seen people try to invent one as some kind of thought exercise or something but

you... you FENCE FUCKER!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    whippy never said thanks for the japanese pokemon (excuse me, pocket monsters) VHS tapes i got him

pretty sure i got him some cards too

nope

no nothing

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    a buddy of mine once was like

"there's totally a slur for bisexuals"

and i'm like "oh?"

and he's like "yeah, attention-whores"

i made a face

and he's like "SEE! That offends you as much as a racial slur!"

i was like

damn

Pony on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

tell her that she is unfeminine and a hairy witch and that you won't sleep with her unless she shaves no matter what

this post changed my life

most of the difficult periods I'm going to go through a result of my life choices are yet to come, and I don't really want to face them. I know there will come a time and a place but every day that doesn't happen I think maybe everything will work itself out. It won't, but I don't know what else to hope for.

realizing I am an asshole was difficult

trying to change my behavior was worse i think

but I had a really rough time realizing that I can't make things better for the people I hurt

Walking into a psychiatrist's office for the first time was pretty difficult, in retrospect. I was forced to go to begin with, my appointment was running three hours behind schedule, and by the time I sat down I was absolutely livid and just wanted to get out as soon as possible. Within two minutes I had completely broken down and the rest of my family had left the room. I felt so ridiculous sobbing in front of a complete stranger. I was very collected and self-possessed, and suddenly realizing how helpless and unhappy I was was a pretty big blow to my sense of self. I'm still trying to rebuild myself into the person I want to be.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Flip-floppers. Wafflers. Drinky-birds.

Any of these sufficiently vitriolic? Time for bed, methinks.

BEARD on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

meeeeee

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010

you just had to read the back of their jerseys

this made me giggle.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    a buddy of mine once was like

"there's totally a slur for bisexuals"

and i'm like "oh?"

and he's like "yeah, attention-whores"

i made a face

and he's like "SEE! That offends you as much as a racial slur!"

i was like

damn

hahahahaha

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hardest thing I've ever gone through was losing my 15 year old brother in a vehicle accident on icy morning roads just a month ago to the day.

I'm 23, and most brothers I knew with that age difference had a noticeable disconnect because of it - but me and my bro were completely best friends because he was just that awesome. He was smart and witty and caring as hell and just basically had life in the palm of his hand. I mean, I can type words about how awesome he was all day and no-one reading them could be any closer to really understanding how much he would just brighten a room. Watching TV shows we used to watch together nowadays just isn't nearly as good. Not because I'm directly thinking about him and being sad, but he and I aren't just cracking wise about people and situations constantly anymore.

There's just so many things that I wonder about even still. I really wish I could just have ten more minutes to ask him about his favorite song or what he was thinking about trying to be when he got older or if he ever felt bad after I tried explaining my depression to him because I thought he was old enough to know...

Ugh, I could go on about this forever I'm sure. I've already typed and deleted multiple paragraphs. The hardest "thing" I had to do is a tie between any of a plethora of events all tied to losing my bro, but the most unexpected one would probably have been setting a table for dinner with one less plate the evening after it happened.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

trololol.jpg
    Shitty 10 second edit.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    you know i never actually answered this thread's basic question

which was

the hardest thing for me to do was to try to kill myself

it was so hard to do i ended up trying to do it a second time months later

and i still fucked it up!

pretty difficult, really

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    franko's basically a superstar poster.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

this post changed my life

most of the difficult periods I'm going to go through a result of my life choices are yet to come, and I don't really want to face them. I know there will come a time and a place but every day that doesn't happen I think maybe everything will work itself out. It won't, but I don't know what else to hope for.

realizing I am an asshole was difficult

trying to change my behavior was worse i think

but I had a really rough time realizing that I can't make things better for the people I hurt

Walking into a psychiatrist's office for the first time was pretty difficult, in retrospect. I was forced to go to begin with, my appointment was running three hours behind schedule, and by the time I sat down I was absolutely livid and just wanted to get out as soon as possible. Within two minutes I had completely broken down and the rest of my family had left the room. I felt so ridiculous sobbing in front of a complete stranger. I was very collected and self-possessed, and suddenly realizing how helpless and unhappy I was was a pretty big blow to my sense of self. I'm still trying to rebuild myself into the person I want to be.

your mom has a crazy bush too eh?

Franko on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hardest thing i ever had to do was go to my cousins funeral

he died of a heroin overdose you see

Beasteh on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought you yanks got your Bush issues sorted out when you voted that Obama dude in

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    beasteh those aren't 98 degrees lyrics at all!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I thought you yanks got your Bush issues sorted out when you voted that Obama dude in

ZING!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    JC and Cosmic :( I cant even fathom something like that JC (your brother) so im not going to say anything about it. (sorry JC, I had it as cosmic there for a second, got confused)

One thing I have noticed in terms of a prejudice is a common one against depression. But I think we;ve all been down that road a few dozen times, its just weird because the last class of uni I had a guy brought it up in a totally dismissive way and I was blown away by how ignorant he was of it. Basically carrying the opinion that there are sad people and then sad people who medicate cos they wanna wuss out. I dont think he realised how insensitive and wrong he was

Prohass on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    beasteh those aren't 98 degrees lyrics at all!

thankyou for introducing me to this 'band'

Beasteh on