As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tremblay wrote: »
    Could it be possible, and I am really just talking as somebody who has no clue about the Minecraft innerworkings, that all mobs/objects that fall into the void are somehow "trapped" there and don't despawn? Then the server would need to keep tracking all those things...

That sounds like what happened with the minecarts on colapture. I read somewhere (the wiki maybe?) that falling into the void can really mess things up, but a lot of people have jumped in (myself included) and came out fine.

Even if the void is causing a chunk of the problems, cases like Ham, Piq, and Ruro show that it can happen near the bedrock walls of the map.. which is especially confusing because there are just normal chunks on the other side of it.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    13thLegion13thLegion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The lag thing is fairly recent. I've had plenty of good days in the past to build stuff and explore the underdark's uberdark--which is full of monsters and diamonds... But besides not being able to log in currently due to connection time outs, I'm play some single player which isn't quite as exciting. Mostly due to starting over and having no direction on what to do.

13thLegion on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oye Handkor logs in, crashes the server, now minecraft.net is down.

damnnnnn Handkor :P

Kileak on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry. I guess I'll wait a couple of day before trying again.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nah, just PM Vic and have him reset your data. See if that does anything.

Kileak on
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kileak wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5747200/

Dead Space 2 Minecraft style. Damn spiffy.

That's freaking awesome. It really makes me want to hollow out a mountain now to use as a base in a single player world. No idea how I'd get enough TNT to do that, though.

Do it.

Do it, by hand.

G0D on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    /give

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    G0D wrote: »

That's freaking awesome. It really makes me want to hollow out a mountain now to use as a base in a single player world. No idea how I'd get enough TNT to do that, though.

Do it.

Do it, by hand.

I already tried that once when I was making a recreation of a Zelda dungeon; I needed a 'bottomless' pit that was 40x20 and down to bedrock. I don't think I'll ever do that by hand again.

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    /give

Am I missing something here?

Also, is everyone keeping up with the Yogscast MC vids? They were good. They got better. But now, they're marvelous. Oh, and hilarious as well.

[edit]Tiberii, does MC edit still work? I'd suppose that's the only other option besides building a mob tower. Well, that and hunting hundreds of Creepers. Ugh.

G0D on
  • Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm off to bed, my major project in Diannao just needs some minor details and it will be finished. By tommorrow, probably.

Oh, and Yogscast is just hilarious, highly recommend it.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Currently designing a new project, I'll be back on the Underdark to look for room to build once time and school schedule permits.

This shits going to be awesome.

Loathing on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If anyone's interested, I updated my customized Aza's Arid Pack (with daxnitro's DOF mod and MrMMods) with some fixes to simplemap, a couple edits to terrain.png, and textures for the boat and minecart from Misa's Realistic Pack.

If you're already using the previous version of this pack, you're either going to have to go through the whole process again (which I recommend), or go poking around in .minecraft\bin and your minecraft.jar, replacing files.

edit: Video, for anyone wanting to see how it looks first.

Why does this forum make it so hard to not embed a video?

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cool. I've been using the old version and its been great, going to download your updated one as soon as I get the chance.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »
    If anyone's interested, I updated my customized Aza's Arid Pack (with daxnitro's DOF mod and MrMMods) with some fixes to simplemap, a couple edits to terrain.png, and textures for the boat and minecart from Misa's Realistic Pack.

If you're already using the previous version of this pack, you're either going to have to go through the whole process again (which I recommend), or go poking around in .minecraft\bin and your minecraft.jar, replacing files.

edit:

Video-

for anyone wanting to see how it looks first.

Do it this way- Just break the link out by itself and the forum will automatically make it an embedded video. No need to even put [Url) (/url] at all.

Also, Simple map? DO WANT! I loaded the painterly pack and that seems to look really good so far but this one looks superior to that. Where do i get the patcher to install this set of mods?

*edit* oh.. it comes with it >.<

Any tips for not screwing this up?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think you need to take another look at that sentence :P

I was trying to not embed the video, because I've posted it before in this thread and i didn't want my post to seem obtrusive. I guess I should have tested what ended up there, because it looks like that links to a single letter. Oh well, I guess the only way to link to youtube is to embed a video. Edited.

As for not screwing it up, do everything in the order in the readme, and back up your minecraft.jar just in case. Be careful editing your path variable if you haven't done that.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think you need to take another look at that sentence :P

I was trying to not embed the video, because I've posted it before in this thread and i didn't want my post to seem obtrusive. I guess I should have tested what ended up there, because it looks like that links to a single letter. Oh well, I guess the only way to link to youtube is to embed a video. Edited.

As for not screwing it up, do everything in the order in the readme, and back up your minecraft.jar just in case. Be careful editing your path variable if you haven't done that.

OH.. just spoiler tag it then. That's the best way to make it easy to deal with if people don't want to look.

It's late and i'm certain i misunderstood. This happens far too often then not with me.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I've been using this and really like it for the most part, but why did you opt for trees and wheat to be so grey? It can be kind of hard to tell sometimes when crops are ready.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My game crashes when I use your pack. For no real reason, just starts to crash every 10 minutes or so.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    G0D wrote: »

Do it.

Do it, by hand.

I already tried that once when I was making a recreation of a Zelda dungeon; I needed a 'bottomless' pit that was 40x20 and down to bedrock. I don't think I'll ever do that by hand again.

I am doing a 50x50 down to bedrock currently by hand. No TNT because I want floors to build with easier. This is from almost cloud height too. Its not too bad but I am going in shifts. I think I am about halfway done.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah hi

I've wanted to get into MC for awhile now, seems a good enough time. I don't know where I am on server 1 or whatever, but it seems like unexplored territory at this point.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I've been using this and really like it for the most part, but why did you opt for trees and wheat to be so grey? It can be kind of hard to tell sometimes when crops are ready.
    That's just the standard texture from Aza's pack, albeit with some edits I did to improve the contrast. I used that pack as a base, so generally I didnt cherry-pick anything that comes from that pack. Except the leaves, which I decided to leave the way they were, even after putting in some updated textures from the new version of Aza's pack. I didn't really like the new leaves.

It is, after all, an arid texture skin. As in, dry. The pale wood textures fit with that theme, in my opinion. I haven't done any wheat farming yet, but I might end up swapping the texture out if I don't like it when I do.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My game crashes when I use your pack. For no real reason, just starts to crash every 10 minutes or so.

I've heard of people crashing for odd reasons every now and then when running some texture packs. Bigger ones will take up a lot more ram, so you might be running out, maybe? I've never crashed running this, but then again, I've got 4GB.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    Yeah hi

I've wanted to get into MC for awhile now, seems a good enough time. I don't know where I am on server 1 or whatever, but it seems like unexplored territory at this point.

"World 1" is not a multiplayer server, it's a randomly generated single player map.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok new question!

While on top the hill my base is dug into, I discovered that not only did I at random pick the tallest hill in the area (which will work great for the "Help I'm an idiot with no sense of direction" beacon I'm building up there), but apparently I'm on an island! The hilly nature of the place hid it, but from my hilltop vista I can clearly see water on all sides, as far as the eye can see.

If I build a boat and go sailing, will I discover any new land out there, or is my island all I get?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    Yeah hi

"World 1" is not a multiplayer server, it's a randomly generated single player map.

No I meant the first server on the OP, I didn't feel like typing it out.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I've heard of people crashing for odd reasons every now and then when running some texture packs. Bigger ones will take up a lot more ram, so you might be running out, maybe? I've never crashed running this, but then again, I've got 4GB.

Yeah, I'm running 8gigs of ram on Win7 64bit. I can't figure out what the problem is but it's highly annoying.

I've been out of Minecraft for several months, all these mods and stuff are...very cool. Going to have to spend some time getting things installed right so I don't auto-crash anymore, I think the way I installed it might have an issue.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @TheExAm I followed the directions in the readme but when I actually load up the game SimpleMap gives an error that it can't find the map overlay. Do you know what that means and how to fix it?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It crashes when I try to use it, and then it crashes the MC client on startup till I remove it.

Brand new generated map, and RAM isn't an issue for me.

EDIT:

As in it won't even reconize it as a valid texture pack crashing.

iRevert on
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Ok new question!

While on top the hill my base is dug into, I discovered that not only did I at random pick the tallest hill in the area (which will work great for the "Help I'm an idiot with no sense of direction" beacon I'm building up there), but apparently I'm on an island! The hilly nature of the place hid it, but from my hilltop vista I can clearly see water on all sides, as far as the eye can see.

If I build a boat and go sailing, will I discover any new land out there, or is my island all I get?

The world is procedurally generated as you explore, so if you hop in a boat and sail, say eastward, you're bound to hit new lands sometime.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Ok new question!

The world is procedurally generated as you explore, so if you hop in a boat and sail, say eastward, you're bound to hit new lands sometime.

Oh yay! That means once I strip my island paradise to bare earth, I can go searching for new lands to wantonly destroy! It's the american dream!

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dont worry about running out of land either. The world is rougly 4x as big as the total surface area of earth.

Draygo on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Draygo wrote: »
    Dont worry about running out of land either. The world is rougly 4x as big as the total surface area of earth.

Really? Did it change when it went to beta because in my alpha I walked all the way around to the other side. Cartograph stopped mapping things and I was basically walking in a black area till I came around to the other side.

iRevert on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    were you playing creative? I'm talking survival Infdev maps. If you were on indev then quickly hitting the 'edge' makes sense.

Draygo on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iRevert wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »

Really? Did it change when it went to beta because in my alpha I walked all the way around to the other side. Cartograph stopped mapping things and I was basically walking in a black area till I came around to the other side.

Really? You're the first person I've heard ever claim that. How long did it take?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

It crashes when I try to use it, and then it crashes the MC client on startup till I remove it.

Brand new generated map, and RAM isn't an issue for me.

EDIT:

As in it won't even reconize it as a valid texture pack crashing.

You have to unzip it and follow the readme. It's not just a texture pack.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've done some experimenting with cobblestone generator designs, using what I've seen from others and my own ideas.
    cobblestonegen1-1.png
    cobblestonegen1-2.png
    This design is very nice, and it was my starting point. It is compact and effective. The water current both pushes the user away from the lava and collects the cobble, and it can accommodate two players at once.
    cobblestonegen2-1.png
    cobblestonegen2-2.png
    This one is wholly my own creation. It is also the one that doesn't work very well. I was trying for a setup where I could just hold down the mouse button and not have to aim. Unfortunately, the water does a poor job of conveying the cobble, and the current sometimes reverses, pushing the user towards the lava.
    cobblestonegen3-1.png
    cobblestonegen3-2.png
    Number 3 is my favorite, both aesthetically and functionally. It has the double-sided aspect of 1 and at the right angle I don't have to move the mouse.
    cobblestonegen4-1.png
    cobblestonegen4-2.png
    4 is a curtain design, which I found attractive at first, but it lacks the ease of use of 1 and 3. Could be wonderful for decorative purposes though.

I also found the most adorable little cave, which I think I like more than any other home I've built in Minecraft.
    cavehouse2.png
    cavehouse1.png
    critterswarm.png
    Has anyone else notice critters spawning in larger numbers lately? It may just be that location, but there sure seem to be a lot of them.

Squigie on
    Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I fired up my old server for a little while today, and yea animals fricken everywhere. So your not the only one, dunno whats up with that.

Also, for some reason I can't get back onto the Underdark - it either just sits at Logging In... forever, or it loads and I'm in a black void, then it disconnects me. The hell?

Loathing on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dunno. I just logged in, and it's the quickest I've gotten on in like, weeks.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trying to log in.
    I think i just crashed the server again.
    You said that I can fix this if i get my player data reset?

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Trying to log in.
    I think i just crashed the server again.
    You said that I can fix this if i get my player data reset?

For those who consistently crash the server, yeah this seems to be the only solution. Just throw it out if you logged out in or near the void to help us narrow down whats causing the "curse"

Kileak on
This discussion has been closed.