As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Squigie wrote: »
    I've done some experimenting with cobblestone generator designs, using what I've seen from others and my own ideas.
    cobblestonegen1-1.png
    cobblestonegen1-2.png
    This design is very nice, and it was my starting point. It is compact and effective. The water current both pushes the user away from the lava and collects the cobble, and it can accommodate two players at once.

I am intrigued by your ideas and have subscribed to your newsletter whether you like it or not!
    u2Jyx.jpg

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    Draygo wrote: »
    Dont worry about running out of land either. The world is rougly 4x as big as the total surface area of earth.

Really? Did it change when it went to beta because in my alpha I walked all the way around to the other side. Cartograph stopped mapping things and I was basically walking in a black area till I came around to the other side.

Really? You're the first person I've heard ever claim that. How long did it take?

Literally it took me a week real time to find my spawn again. I went exploring and got lost so I just decided to watch the sun and figure out which way was south and then just keep a walkin till I looped back.

I had a massive array of lava towers all around my spawn so I figured if I walked south far enough I'd eventually loop around the world and be able to spot my network of markers, thing was at the time I couldn't tell you where my spawn was in relation to where I was at due to me getting all mixed up with a cave system that I had explored.

EDIT:

By saying I was walking in a black area I mean cartograph when it spit out maps wouldn't show me where I was at other then a black shot, and XRAY gave me a black loadout as well.

This was back in alpha, around just after the biomes update hit. I went exploring far far out to find new biomes because I had explored a pretty large area around my base.

iRevert on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone have a favorite mob farming strategy currently? I've played a bit with some of the older tower designs, but I've been very lazy about scouring for a current version that works well

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy fuck is branch mining the way to go. been doing it for about 30 minutes and have found 20 iron 6 diamond, 2 stacks of Redstone and probably 3 or 4 stacks of coal.
    and not a single mob.

inb4 puss!

Fuck fighting mobs though i suck at it.

edit: Fixed it up for the grammar Nazi that i'm sure is waiting to bite my head off.

iammattpleevee on
    SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
    Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
    PSN?: iammattpleevee
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy fuck is branch mining the way to go. been doing it for about 30 minutes and have found 20 iron 6 diamond, 2 stacks of Redstone and probably 3 or 4 stacks of coal.
    and not a single mob.

inb4 puss!

Fuck fighting mobs though i suck at it.

edit: Fixed it up for the grammar Nazi that i'm sure is waiting to bite my head off.

I don't think grammar Nazis live here.
    Anyway, I branch mine as well and it is really effective. Good for getting diamond early on.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No one here but us strawmen.

Glal on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah branch mining is $$

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is Dianao down? my game crashed and i keep getting connection timed out.

iammattpleevee on
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    what is this "branch mining"?

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You mine down to about 2 or 3 blocks above bedrock then make a long 2x1 hallway. Then you have hallways branching of the main with 3 blocks in between each hallway. I usually mine down each hallway till i hit lava, or something interesting like this room i found at the end of one it had iron and gold and a large amount of water that seems to be infinite.

edit: here's the descprition i read that seems to be clearer than what i wrote.

You dig down to the bedrock, because that's where you're going to find the most different kinds of stuff. One or two layers above the bedrock, so you don't have it interfering with your work, you dig a long tunnel, 2 high and 1 wide, which will serve as the trunk. Then, every 4 squares on either side of the trunk, you dig perpendicular tunnels extending out 20 blocks (or as far as you want). You leave 3 undug blocks between because veins are generally 2x2 horizontally, so you will see ore in the vein even though there is technically one row of unexplored blocks. When you finish that layer, you can start one a layer above, offsetting the branches by one block so that you are more likely to find veins you could possibly have missed the first time.

So essentially, a long hallway (the trunk) with perpendicular hallways (the branches) coming off either side.

doubleedit: Also I keep getting connection timed out when trying to connect to diano. The game crashed on me so i restarted it and tried to connect and keep getting connection timed out. Any ideas on how to fix this?

iammattpleevee on
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'd say 10 blocks above bedrock. That way you still get all the materials and you don't need to worry about digging into a lava pool.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The lava pools don't seem too, i just don't dig under myself and leave about 2 block in between me and whatever I'm mining and just plug up the tunnel if i run into lava.

iammattpleevee on
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, but there's no resource difference between bedrock and layer 16. On the other hand, no lava pools above 10.

Glal on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So if you're spicifically looking for lava, under 10 is where you want to be?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am having some tech problems with SMP that I was wondering if anyone had experienced.

A few days ago I played with a friend on my OSX macbook which was running the server and game client for us, and everything worked dandy.

Last night I tried letting the laptop simply act as the server while I played from my Win7 64 desktop that is on the same network. I was getting some significant lag, but the real issue was regular disconnects, ranging from seconds in to ~10-15 minutes apart, with some of the following errors:

internal exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection Reset by peer: socket write error
    internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

My friend maintained connection all evening with no problems, and I have the laptop designated as a DMZ on my network to avoid any possible firewall shenanigans. Googling the problem has only turned up a lot of similar complaints on forums with no apparent solution.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I am having some tech problems with SMP that I was wondering if anyone had experienced.

A few days ago I played with a friend on my OSX macbook which was running the server and game client for us, and everything worked dandy.

Last night I tried letting the laptop simply act as the server while I played from my Win7 64 desktop that is on the same network. I was getting some significant lag, but the real issue was regular disconnects, ranging from seconds in to ~10-15 minutes apart, with some of the following errors:

internal exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection Reset by peer: socket write error
    internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

My friend maintained connection all evening with no problems, and I have the laptop designated as a DMZ on my network to avoid any possible firewall shenanigans. Googling the problem has only turned up a lot of similar complaints on forums with no apparent solution.

What user are you running under? It could be a permissions issue with win7.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lux782 wrote: »

What user are you running under? It could be a permissions issue with win7.

Administrator

Scosglen on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I've got the day off and I'm bored so I've decided to start a Town in the Void/The Far Side. Come one, come all. Interesting location, plenty of minerals and unexplored area's, unique sites and most of all a incredible amount of room for development. Just follow the highway to the Void, then follow the signs that lead to The Far Side.

Loathing on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dont worry about running out of land either. The world is rougly 4x as big as the total surface area of earth.

Really? Did it change when it went to beta because in my alpha I walked all the way around to the other side. Cartograph stopped mapping things and I was basically walking in a black area till I came around to the other side.

Really? You're the first person I've heard ever claim that. How long did it take?

Literally it took me a week real time to find my spawn again. I went exploring and got lost so I just decided to watch the sun and figure out which way was south and then just keep a walkin till I looped back.

I had a massive array of lava towers all around my spawn so I figured if I walked south far enough I'd eventually loop around the world and be able to spot my network of markers, thing was at the time I couldn't tell you where my spawn was in relation to where I was at due to me getting all mixed up with a cave system that I had explored.

EDIT:

By saying I was walking in a black area I mean cartograph when it spit out maps wouldn't show me where I was at other then a black shot, and XRAY gave me a black loadout as well.

This was back in alpha, around just after the biomes update hit. I went exploring far far out to find new biomes because I had explored a pretty large area around my base.

You probably accidentally looped back to your spawn by walking, not that you walked around the world. As far as i know its impossible to walk 'around' the world because minecraft is 'infinitely' flat. There is a mapping program out there called c10t. It is a much better mapping program than cartograph. Has the bonus of not crashing on very large maps. You can always map it with that and see what your world actually looks like.

Oh and next time make a compass. It always points to spawn.

Draygo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Am I the only one having problems connecting to diano?

iammattpleevee on
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    was just about to ask that.

Lubony on
    No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, but there's no resource difference between bedrock and layer 16. On the other hand, no lava pools above 10.

This is so true. You can dig below 10, but I find it to be more trouble than it's worth. Every other branch suddenly dead ends with a lava tube. There's nothing worse than digging and getting caught by falling lava because you're not paying close attention. Usually that ends with me running down the hall on fire hoping to remember where I saw the last waterfall. I've lost a few diamond tools and raw diamond ores that way. Now I just dig above the lava and it's all diamondy goodness.

Considering how lucrative branch mining can be, I actually dread finding a cavern. "Damn, a cavern! There's exposed minerals here, but now I have to light it up like a Christmas tree and deal with mobs around every corner for who knows how long this thing is. Fuck it." * blocks off the entrance*

El Guaco on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Could I get the IP to the underdark server please?

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't really stand branch mining just because I find it horribly boring.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    True, some people prefer to explore the caves because they enjoy the adventure. Usually, when I'm mining, it's because I need to procure materials, but mainly because I just need something "safe" to do while waiting out the night so I can go back to building again in the morning.

Speaking of, back in the alpha days, seeing more than a few mobs at a time made me freak out. Now I look outside my fortress out night and there are perhaps 20+ in the fields around me, and I usually have to deal with 2 or 3 creepers outside my door before I get back to work. Did the beta version of SMP get harder? I've seen mobs spawn less than 10 squares from a torch, which I thought was not possible. Did those rules change?

El Guaco on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I used to constantly deal with mobs spawning up in nooks above UC and giving me a BIG FRIENDLY HUG, but I finally decided to find torch them and wall up my area.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Unless I can get someone else to go with me I don't explore caves much. Monsters in caves freak me out way more then outside.

iammattpleevee on
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

EDIT:

You probably accidentally looped back to your spawn by walking, not that you walked around the world. As far as i know its impossible to walk 'around' the world because minecraft is 'infinitely' flat. There is a mapping program out there called c10t. It is a much better mapping program than cartograph. Has the bonus of not crashing on very large maps. You can always map it with that and see what your world actually looks like.

Oh and next time make a compass. It always points to spawn.

Thanks for this delicious morsel of mapping goodness.

Kileak on
  • Options
    D4r7hJ3nD4r7hJ3n Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Am I the only one having problems connecting to diano?

Nope, same here.

D4r7hJ3n on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Glal wrote: »

Limed for extreme usefulness and possible obscurity.

Good show!

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kileak wrote: »

But Kileak! What does this mean for operation itresting sub-mapathon: landmark edition?

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's lava pools on the surface now.

Are they only on the surface or below level 10 then? Not in-between?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    There's lava pools on the surface now.

Are they only on the surface or below level 10 then? Not in-between?

Big lakes are at lvel 10. You can get some above, but never the huge amounts you see at the bottom.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »
    Kileak wrote: »

But Kileak! What does this mean for operation itresting sub-mapathon: landmark edition?

Wellllllllll........im having issues with the program lol. So not sure.

Also, EMP GET ON SO I CAN BURN DOWN THE TREE FARM.

Srly, tree farm v6 2.0

Kileak on
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can someone (i.e. Vic) please reset my character data before I log on and crash the server again? :P

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Can someone (i.e. Vic) please reset my character data before I log on and crash the server again? :P

Sending a PM to him is probably the best/fastest way to get his attention.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Sending a PM to him is probably the best/fastest way to get his attention.
    Friggin' derp. I forgot.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh god. That means maybe, just maybe one day, we can have minecraft+mount and blade.

Hire workers! LITERALLY build a castle! Setup blueprints, so there's a huge outline of what you want to build in the air, then you fill it with blocks! Or the workers do, but slower! Attack other castles! Recruit an army!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh god. That means maybe, just maybe one day, we can have minecraft+mount and blade.

Hire workers! LITERALLY build a castle! Setup blueprints, so there's a huge outline of what you want to build in the air, then you fill it with blocks! Or the workers do, but slower! Attack other castles! Recruit an army!

Step by step closer to a Dwarf Fortress crossbreed of epic proportions.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.