Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[SW:TOR] Both Guilds Now Open. Check Top of OP.

1565758596062»

• Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Any one else think it's sad we are about to roll this thread over for at least the third time. Games not even got a release date yet.

And for picking classes early. I'm with the others in that how it plays is of little consequence. If I get to run around with a lightsaber and Vader armor choking bitches with the force I'm all for it.

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bannon9k wrote: »
    Any one else think it's sad we are about to roll this thread over for at least the third time. Games not even got a release date yet.

And for picking classes early. I'm with the others in that how it plays is of little consequence. If I get to run around with a lightsaber and Vader armor choking bitches with the force I'm all for it.

I'll second that......but i'm feeling more emporer than vader....lightning FTW!!!!

texasheat on
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    texasheat wrote: »
    Bannon9k wrote: »

I'll second that......but i'm feeling more emporer than vader....lightning FTW!!!!

See, this x10000000000000000.

Ender on
    eahenryii wrote: »

i've resorted to reading your posts in William Shatner's voice.

I am now using the Christopher Walken voice.
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Jedi Knight is a tank capable class. there will not be a shortage of tanks.
    Jedi consular is a healing capable class. There will not be a shortage of healers.

People might play them differently, but at the end of the day people will have levelled a character that CAN function as a tank/healer if they respec it right.

Now if the only viable healing and tanks were not jedi classes that would be unwise. Fortunately they realised this is a bad idea.

Right. If they spec that way. Big "if" there.

Tanks I can see. Jedi get right in to the thick of things, especially in the more recent Star Wars media.

Healers though, I'm not too sure. I don't see the Consular being all that popular to be honest. At least, not as a healer. Who knows, I don't think they've said much about the healing abilities/mechanics in the game. If Consulars end up playings like DoKs from WAR then I could see them being really fun. If they're most efficient as a sit back and heal class... I dunno. I doubt many will roll Jedi with that sort of playstyle in mind.

Big "yup" about the "specing that way" part.

IMO Bioware should have used some different terminology for the big, high-level "classes" in this game. because Jedi Knight really isn't a class in a traditional MMO sense. its more like an archetype if anything, or maybe a concentration. your class is really Jedi Knight Sentinel or Jedi Knight Guardian.

This is an important distinction IMO because of an MMO gamers expectations of what "class" means - and a part of that is being able to respec within a class. But in SWTOR that's not the case. You can respec within your advanced class (and it seems both advanced classes will share a tree), but as of now you can never go back to before you made that choice.

So this notion that there'll be an endless selection of tanks available because Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors can tank is wrong IMO. Because if the Jedi Knight doesn't pick Guardian as his advanced class, he'll never be a true tank. And if a Sith Inquisitor doesn't pick Sorcerer, they'll never be a healer.

My prediction is that enough of the "tank utility" talents like more HP, more avoidance, whatever, are going to be in the shared tree of the Jedi Knight, thus allowing a Sentinel to be a serviceable tank if they want to spec for it, but not as good as a full on Jedi. Same for the other classes that have an advanced class that is "pure dps."

Joshmvii on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Applied to Rigorous Scholarship under Last Hearth for smuggler.

I have no idea what the smuggler will play like, I picked it for the story elements, always liked Han Solo better than Luke.

spamfilter on
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The fact that knight and consular have advanced classes isn't as important as the precursor class.
    I'm unconcerned with these details and don't consider respecing to be the primary argument.

The primary argument is the population percentage that are going to be rolling the precursor to these classes.
    Hence there are more people in the jedi knight sample that can choose a tank class when given their fifty fifty choice between tank and sentinel.

It's statistical hunch I'm making. I don't think it'll be a problem. I don't think there will be a glut of tanks, but I do think there will be enough people playing jedi knight that there will be a comfortable amount that will pick guardian.
    Essentially the huge jedi knight star wars omg thing is going to result in people picking jedi classes irrelevant of what that class can do. So once they have that cool jedi then they'll be faced with the choices they can make with their pick.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The fact that knight and consular have advanced classes isn't as important as the precursor class.
    I'm unconcerned with these details and don't consider respecing to be the primary argument.

The primary argument is the population percentage that are going to be rolling the precursor to these classes.
    Hence there are more people in the jedi knight sample that can choose a tank class when given their fifty fifty choice between tank and sentinel.

It's statistical hunch I'm making. I don't think it'll be a problem. I don't think there will be a glut of tanks, but I do think there will be enough people playing jedi knight that there will be a comfortable amount that will pick guardian.
    Essentially the huge jedi knight star wars omg thing is going to result in people picking jedi classes irrelevant of what that class can do. So once they have that cool jedi then they'll be faced with the choices they can make with their pick.

I thought about this too, but noobies might be problematic. WoW was my first MMO (I'm sure I'm not alone there) and I chose a Paladin to be my first main. I really had no idea what I was doing though, for a good long while. It didn't occur to me to heal other people in raids until my mid 40's.

It would have helped if I'd joined a guild, because that was what ultimately motivated me to learn my group role. But I think these Advanced Classes are going to come along pretty early in the character's career. I suspect a lot of people will say "Oh cool Guardian heavy armor awesome!" and then not tank at all.

I guess the tl;dr version is: just because the most popular classes offer tank/healing roles doesn't mean that people who take that advanced class will understand how to play them.

Terrendos on
  • JohnnyKongJohnnyKong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    I'm rolling an Imperial Agent for a dark side character and either a Knight or Consular for a light side character. I want to try out the ranged combat and see if it's, like, good, and the Agent has potential for a really interesting story that hasn't been told before. Balanced out by a Jedi because I ought to try that part of the game, too.

I might go consular because I enjoy the hybrid healing classes in other games, but I'll be honest: I'm leaning knight right now simply because I really, really like that class's ship.

The Jedi classes use the same ship, the Defender (that is unless a dev has stated otherwise recently). Same goes for the Warrior and Inquisitor.

JohnnyKong on
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I guess the tl;dr version is: just because the most popular classes offer tank/healing roles doesn't mean that people who take that advanced class will understand how to play them.

Oh yeah. For sure. I expect lots of that too.
    That happens normally anyway.

And I'm a patient man. I can teach a new person who has no clue.

I can't teach anyone not playing that class.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Not a bad point. Ultimately I think its going to come down to how much of a disadvantage being the "tank" is when compared to other aspects of the game - namely questing and pvp.

If they can get the dps vs. survivability in that sweet spot where you're tough to kill (but not impossible) and can still feel like you're thumping on other players/NPCs i think you'll see a good amount of tanks.

at the same time if you're near impossible to kill, but have a lightsaber tickle stick, i think it might be tough finding tanks.

I do think its a plus that the advanced classes share a common tree with their "sister" class. from the descriptions in the interview last week, it sounds like you have one shared tree, and then another tree that is geared toward your classes special role.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User
    edited April 2011
    I hope tanks aren't just beefier. I would hate to see the tank class get "buff" talents and the other dps class get all sorts of awesome ways to chop and dice enemies apart. The tank class would be so unappealing next to that. Instead I hope that tanks are more deflection based. As in you dodge and you get a sweet counter attack that looks awesome and does a lot of damage. Also repelling blaster fire with your lightsaber would just be awesome. "Active" tanking is always so much more fun than passive tanking. No one wants to be a pin cushion that just sits there and watches the fight happen.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sigh, I was hoping in the off chance that they are testing now that I just missed an email and have already been accepted, but of course I am not, I really want to get my trooper on :(

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone heard of anyone actually testing the game?? All my local friends that have tried to get in have yet to be accepted. I myself have heard of noone actually testing this game...is anyone here testing? I don't want to know specifics, NDA and all, but it'd be nice to hear that yes...someone is testing this game...

texasheat on
  • KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone heard of anyone actually testing the game?? All my local friends that have tried to get in have yet to be accepted. I myself have heard of noone actually testing this game...is anyone here testing? I don't want to know specifics, NDA and all, but it'd be nice to hear that yes...someone is testing this game...
    It's in closed testing with approx 2000 people last I heard. Two people a couple pages back said they were in it.

Edit: Friday Update is about the reveal of a new book 'Revan'...

Karmond on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The real updates will likely come in the next couple of days though, as there are a bunch of fansites at Bioware Studios this weekend. Hopefully, there will be something more substantial released there. I think the weak updates have been an indication of what happens when you miss your release window.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited April 2011
    sigh, I was hoping in the off chance that they are testing now that I just missed an email and have already been accepted, but of course I am not, I really want to get my trooper on :(

at this point you've got about the same chance of getting in the closed beta as you do winning the lottery. they've had something like 1.5 million people fill out the application to test the game.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
    edited April 2011

one of my guildies has a co-worker that has been testing the game for a while now.

in perhaps one of the ultimate kicks in the pants, apparently the guy could give two shits about being able to play and doesn't login all that often. fucker.

my guildy bitches about it constantly because he's like most of us in this thread that would lop off a testicle to play right now.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Karmond wrote: »
    It's in closed testing with approx 2000 people last I heard. Two people a couple pages back said they were in it.

There isn't actually any game; this is all just an excuse to market some poorly-written books.

SammyF on
  • baronfelbaronfel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    woo, applied to Remarkable Circumference as an Agent first, but I like the look of the Bounty Hunter as well. My account name is chethusk.

baronfel on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like the comment rage.

BOOK? WHAT THE FUCK I DONT WANT TO READ, I WANNA PLAY GAMES WRAAAAAA

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    Karmond wrote: »

There isn't actually any game; this is all just an excuse to market some poorly-written books.

I actually like the author a lot. He made one of my favorite EU books.

Burden of Proof on
  • BuffalanoidBuffalanoid Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Sweet, applied as Trooper Kelebron. For the Republic! :D

Buffalanoid on
    edited April 2011
    Drew Karpyshyn is a good writer. They're not some literary achievement, but his Mass Effect books are good reads.

Joshmvii on
  • TrumbotTrumbot Registered User
    edited April 2011
    New info from the PC Gamer May 2011 issue, as summarized by a SWTOR forum member:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=303168

This new info about PvP is making me think about playing on a PvP server for the first time...

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was a part of one testing group, so yes, testing is being done.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SaboSabo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I was a part of one testing group, so yes, testing is being done.

I'm testing it right now. 8-)

Smugglers get all the ladies, just sayin'.

Sabo on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    NDA! What if someone turns you in so they can take your spot!

emp123 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Trumbot wrote: »
    New info from the PC Gamer May 2011 issue, as summarized by a SWTOR forum member:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=303168

This new info about PvP is making me think about playing on a PvP server for the first time...

Very interesting stuff in that article there. It doesn't wow me with any new earthshaking revelations, but it's good to know that they are cleaning up some PvP functionality and doing good things with PvP.

I'm still on the fence with SW:TOR, but this is making me keep it on the radar.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2011
    A few things that jumped out at me from that:

-"Solo Conversation" mode, which allows players to enter conversations alone, even when grouped.

I know a lot of people will love this.

-Valor identical to Warhammer's Renown, an alternate PvP levelling system.

I'm not typically a PvP guy, but I think this is a cool idea. I like the idea of a separate pvp progression path for serious pvpers, and it gives me yet another mode of progression if I want to undertake it.

-Players can "commend" favorite teamates to give them bonus rewards.

This sounds like it could be really cool. A nice way to give a pat on the back to somebody who plays a healer or tank in pvp, assuming the bonus rewards are worthwhile. I think it's cool that it sounds like tanks will be like Warhammer where you taunt enemies to lower their damage done to your allies.

Joshmvii on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    A few things that jumped out at me from that:

-"Solo Conversation" mode, which allows players to enter conversations alone, even when grouped.

I know a lot of people will love this.

-Valor identical to Warhammer's Renown, an alternate PvP levelling system.

I'm not typically a PvP guy, but I think this is a cool idea. I like the idea of a separate pvp progression path for serious pvpers, and it gives me yet another mode of progression if I want to undertake it.

-Players can "commend" favorite teamates to give them bonus rewards.

This sounds like it could be really cool. A nice way to give a pat on the back to somebody who plays a healer or tank in pvp, assuming the bonus rewards are worthwhile. I think it's cool that it sounds like tanks will be like Warhammer where you taunt enemies to lower their damage done to your allies.

The third thing is basically the opposite of the group kick function they put into WoW, which is great. Positive reinforcement that manages to both encourage people to play well, and discourage people to be jackasses. Though I do wonder what kind of safeguards they'll put in to prevent people from gaming the "bonus rewards" part of it.

Javen on
    edited April 2011
    Honestly, I was hoping the next time I put up a thread for this, there'd be an open beta, but whatcha gonna do? I've been updating the OP over the last couple of weeks to incorporate the new stuff a bit better. I'll probably have it up in a couple of hours.

devCharles on
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    emp123 wrote: »

The NDA basically says that you can say you're a part of testing, but anything else and we'll send a unmarked black van to your house.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The NDA basically says that you can say you're a part of testing, but anything else and we'll send a unmarked black van to your house.

And he told us the smugglers get all the ladies.

Brb, gunna go report him so I can get into the beta

emp123 on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2011
    devCharles on
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

And he told us the smugglers get all the ladies.

Brb, gunna go report him so I can get into the beta

snitches get stitches

you narc

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill