As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Both Guilds Now Open. Check Top of OP.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Starcraft 2 was the first PC-only game to MSRP at $60. I think it sold like gangbusters, so I wouldn't be surprised to see $60 AAA titles pop up on the PC from now on.

captaink on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inflation, it's not really a difficult concept. Like Catastrophe said, I really don't see why anyone would make a big stink about $10 more when it would already be at least $50 at launch, plus a monthly fee.

Edit: that is, if it was going to be a day-one purchase for you in the first place.

Emporium on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    Starcraft 2 was the first PC-only game to MSRP at $60. I think it sold like gangbusters, so I wouldn't be surprised to see $60 AAA titles pop up on the PC from now on.

A single event doesn't make a trend. There are also other factors at play there that aren't at play with TOR.
    Emporium wrote: »
    Inflation, it's not really a difficult concept.

Apparently it's difficult enough that you don't know what it is or when it's happening.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

A single event doesn't make a trend. There are also other factors at play there that aren't at play with TOR.

Well, Black Ops was also $60 on PC. It appears that Dragon Age 2 will be as well. And amazon has Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 2 up for $60, though neither of them probably has a final MSRP.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also the past two World of Warcraft expansions have been $40, which is high for an expansion pack, if you were looking for examples of MMO products increasing in price.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, Black Ops was also $60 on PC. It appears that Dragon Age 2 will be as well. And amazon has Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 2 up for $60, though neither of them probably has a final MSRP.

Is the price on Dragon Age 2 final yet? Also, is there evidence of cost increase in games being published on the PC by companies that aren't EA or Activision that fit the criteria of a AAA release?

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Is the price on Dragon Age 2 final yet?

It is only two months away so I imagine it is.

captaink on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

When it's EA and Activision eyeballing each other at price, with the opportunity to make more $$$, it's pretty much a sure thing!

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Starcraft 2 was the first PC-only game to MSRP at $60. I think it sold like gangbusters.

Trying to dig something up on Starcraft 2 sales, and I'm mostly seeing talk about how it was lower than expected.

Anyway, to stay on TOR pricing: It simply does not make sense to price it at $60 dollars if Bioware wants to stay market competitive. Hell, it makes even less sense to do it when your major competition is charging that much.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    WoW expansions are going for $10 more than previous.

Bioware products are going for $10 more than previous.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised.

captaink on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure if the argument was if it was going to cost $50 or $60 but what that means to people and whether 'you' would still be purchasing it if it were the latter. I still think I'll be getting this game at launch (or within a week). It really just depends on whether it will fit into my schedule. I'm thinking all these New Year's resolutions will be dead by the time April or May rolls around.

PS. Still playing Kotor II. I'm only using my Jedi Guardian and my robot companion.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it true that if I like the clone troopahs and stormtroopers, I will like the Soldier class? Seems obvious but I want to run it by all you knowledgeable folk.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it true that if I like the clone troopahs and stormtroopers, I will like the Soldier class? Seems obvious but I want to run it by all you knowledgeable folk.

I would venture to guess a firm yes. They're trying to make the trooper class a super badass special ops clone trooper/stormtrooper basically. I believe that if they succeed in that, even marginally, you'll enjoy your choice.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you like Commander Cody from the Clone Wars cartoon, you'll probably like it, yes.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    If you like Commander Cody from the Clone Wars cartoon, you'll probably like it, yes.

I like him enough to buy the sideshow toys figure of him

But I was interested in playing a trooper when I saw the video from thier demo from the summer about the game
    You get a fist pump action to rally people? and a rather large blaster? sign me up

But then I am probally going to play a female one as long as they don't look goofy

Brainleech on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And you will note the female ones are voiced by none other than FemShep! So good choice.

Astale on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you like awesome man-skirts, you'll love the Trooper.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes, this is of a time in star wars when the Troopers weren't artifically grown from the dna of a bounty hunter.

These are enlisted soldiers with the best training, firepower and armor of the time being tough as nails badasses.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We should pole to see what class sex combinations we'll see the most of and the ones we'll see the least off.

I was thinking about it and you might see more female smugglers than you would inflitrators or much fewer sith warrior tanks as females then you would consulars. It's interesting that classes and roles lend themselves to certain sexes more than others.

I would have guessed there would be less female troopers than males but if Femshep is the voice it could be a wild card.

It could just be that there are fewer female characters in MMOS or maybe we just don't notice them. I know that I played a female druid in WoW and that I'll play a male jedi knight in TOR but a female consular.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's also a size thing in addition to gender. Gnomes could be warriors in wow but how many female gnome wArrior tanks did you see? Sure we had dwarfs but they... Dwarfed gnomes. Point being, perception is important. And you want the person who's going to be taking the brunt of the dmg to be someone of stature. Simply put, Vader wouldn't be as intimidating at 5 feet tall.

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The more I think about it, the more I think Bioware is going to implement a Legacy system to get people to play through characters multiple times giving bonuses for multiple play throughs. The consequence stuff seems like they're trying to make it in a way where you will inevitably fuck up in some way, and Bioware does like to vacate companions lately, so I have a feeling you'll want to go through it all differently at a few points during the game.

Unfortunately, the cat will likely be out of the bag after the first month, so I'm curious as to how much of an incentive there will be in terms of character strength to replay through.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering that sixty dollars is not the common accepted price of PC games, I would be surprised.

As others have said, $60 is becoming the norm. Maybe they'll sell it for $50, but I have no idea why they'd do that since they could easily get away with $60.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has EA started selling other games at 60 yet? I know Activision has. Call of Duty and Starcraft both had a 60 pricetag on PC but I don't remember if any EA titles have had a $60 price yet.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TrumbotTrumbot DJ On the one.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still can't decide on which character I'll play first. Definitely not a force-using class, as I am an MMO contrarian. A Chiss Imperial Agent going the sniper route sounds cool, and I really feel that I missed out playing Mass Effect 2 as a male character, not getting the female voice acting. That could get me to roll a femtrooper tank. What's everyone else feeling?

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really want to play a Scoundrel, I'm just afraid they're going to be terrible. I still resent Blizzard for all the bullshit with Rogues from 2004-2005. I love the archetype but their mechanics tend to be bad. So I might just go with Bounty Hunter, and go at the archetype from that angle.

And I will play a Jedi Knight and/or Sith Warrior. Because I never got over magical space samurai.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering that sixty dollars is not the common accepted price of PC games, I would be surprised.

As others have said, $60 is becoming the norm. Maybe they'll sell it for $50, but I have no idea why they'd do that since they could easily get away with $60.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am now buying the majority of my PC game purchases during the steam seasonal sales. Even games selling for $60 out of the gate I'm getting for $25-$45.
    It's strange, all this trend seems to do is harm brick and mortar stores by promoting the steam sales even more heavily while also diminishing front end sales while promoting long term sales (at a reduced profit)

Oh and Jedi Counselor Shadow for me; no question.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'll be starting with a smuggler, but I'll be going the gunslinger route. I want to check out the Scoundrel route, but I'm also apprehensive as it seems to be a very strange hybrid class. It's interesting to see how it will be implemented.

devCharles on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm really interested in the Imperial Agent's storyline so I'll probably have that as my main. If the PA guild is Republic I'll probably keep a Consular alt.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    I'll be starting with a smuggler, but I'll be going the gunslinger route. I want to check out the Scoundrel route, but I'm also apprehensive as it seems to be a very strange hybrid class. It's interesting to see how it will be implemented.

I agree. I want to do Scoundrel, and I will, but it's got the hallmarks of being overhauled over and over again.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    devCharles wrote: »

I agree. I want to do Scoundrel, and I will, but it's got the hallmarks of being overhauled over and over again.

I think I will go Jedi Knight first. But the real problem is that everything looks so tasty.

Sith Inquisitor for my Darth Bane/Machievelli needs.
    Scoundrel to get my Malcolm Reynolds on.
    Trooper for sheer badassery.
    Jedi Knight because its Star Wars.
    Imperial Agent because espionage rocks and I know Bioware will do it well.
    Bounty Hunter--- because its STEVE BLUM. Nuff said.

Jedi Counselor and Sith Warrior do not interest me as much. Not because of power or skill concerns, those look fine. I just have a lesser interest in those class-storylines.

Of course the problem is that this leaves me wanting to play 6 of the 8 character classes. To completion.

Alt-fucking-itis ahoy!

Rchanen on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Imperial Agent.

Espionage, counter-intelligence, assassinations, land-speeder bombings.....these are a few of my favorite things...

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Imperial Agent.

Espionage, counter-intelligence, assassinations, land-speeder bombings.....these are a few of my favorite things...

10 bucks says you only get to do 50% of that once in a while, if your lucky.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Torocast interview with Principal Lead Combat Designer:
    TOROcast: When looking at the Jedi Knight and their two Advanced Classes, the skills that they acquire within their chosen AC seem to pigeonhole them into either becoming a tank or a melee DPSer. Is this the case or will it be possible for those Advanced Classes to move beyond one trinity role?

Georg Zoeller: While the Jedi Guardian can become a fully capable Tank (in terms of the trinity), they can also be specced to be competitive damage dealers, even with a single saber.

TOROcast: Now that we have seen quite a bit of information regarding the Jedi Knight and the Jedi Consular, can we expect the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor to be gameplay mirrors, or are those classes going to be quite a bit different from their Republic counterparts?

Georg Zoeller: The Jedi Knight and Consular fill the same functional roles on the Republic faction that the Sith Warrior and Inquisitor fill on the Empire side. As such, there is a fair bit of similarity in their respective capabilities, although the detailed gameplay mechanics can deviate between the two.

TOROcast: There is some concern over Consulars being limited to dress-like robes and 'that hat.' Will they be able to have options to look more like a Jedi Knight?

Georg Zoeller: There is a good variety of outfits available for Consular characters, including some non-robe outfits, but a Consular is not able to wear the armored outfits available to the Jedi Knight, so they will never be able to achieve the exact same look.

TOROcast: Early in development, BioWare said that they were doing something unique and special with healing. What is happening that is different compared to a typical MMO design?

Georg Zoeller: In Star Wars: The Old Republic, improving your character’s Presence attribute, which governs healing ability, also improves the character’s active companion in various ways. Coupled with the ability to adjust companion behavior and equipment, this enables the player to function as a healer; even in solo situations.

TOROcast: It has been long debated about which class is the best healer for the Republic since it is known that the Smuggler has healing abilities. Will one class be a superior healer or are they both completely viable as a primary healer?

Georg Zoeller: All classes with access to healing abilities (and there are more than you think) are completely viable as primary healers in The Old Republic.

TOROcast: Will a Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular ever have a reason - other than just for kicks - to fight with a non-lightsaber weapon? Would that include blasters?

Georg Zoeller: Jedi Characters can wield certain non-lightsaber weapons, but blasters? No. Who brings a gun to a lightsaber fight anyway?

TOROcast: Consulars, Sages in particular, appear to have very little need for a lightsaber. Is it possible for a Sage/Consular to simply be unarmed or would there be significant drawbacks to that?

Georg Zoeller: While you could certainly play a Sage unarmed for roleplaying reasons, you would sacrifice not only the ability to finish off opponents who managed to get close to you with a quick strike, you would also sacrifice the defensive benefits a lightsaber can offer, especially when dealing with pesky blaster fire.

TOROcast: Consulars appear to rely deeply upon their Force points for their abilities. What recourse do they have once they are drained of Force points and still have enemies attacking them?

Georg Zoeller: Both advanced classes have ways of handling such a situation, depending on their skills. For example, a Sage may be able to sacrifice health in a last bid to overcome his attackers - an ability that can obviously backfire when seriously outnumbered.

TOROcast: We know balancing questions are tricky to answer, but what has your approach been to balancing the Shadow? MMO players can quickly recognize the dangerous PvP potential of a stealth class with burst damage, crowd control, healing, and ranged DPS.

Georg Zoeller: While the Shadow will certainly be a very versatile and potentially deadly adversary in the hands of skilled players, they are balanced to handle lengthier fights like any other melee class. They also are not equipped to heal themselves, which should alleviate some of those fears.

TOROcast: The story that we have seen for both Jedi classes from levels 1-10 seems very epic in scale considering it is such an early level. Should we expect something similar for all classes? Will that scope continue throughout the game?

Georg Zoeller: Yes. :)

devCharles on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Great to see that they intend one-handed dps to be viable, I hope that is actually the case.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Me too! I don't understand this obession Kotor 1 & 2 had with using multiple lightsabers. Obi-wan didn't do it, Darth Vader didn't do it, Luke didn't do it, Mace Windu didn't do it. the list goes on.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    TrumbotTrumbot DJ On the one.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you're a min/max'er, 1-handed 'saber dps won't be viable I think. I hope people are a little more tolerant of that than in WoW. He says that it'll be "competitive", so I am not optimistic for it to be more than a few talents. However, any offshoot talents and deviations from strict trinity talent trees are fine by me.

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Me too! I don't understand this obession Kotor 1 & 2 had with using multiple lightsabers. Obi-wan didn't do it, Darth Vader didn't do it, Luke didn't do it, Mace Windu didn't do it. the list goes on.

Those guys didn't do it because they needed an extra hand to use the force. They were balanced.

Then you have dudes who focus on pure lightsaber combat like Maul. Dude didn't use the force that much.

Sooo, I think that if someone duel-wields sabers, their ability to use certain force powers should be inhibited. Its a decent trade-off, imo.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gen. Grievous also used multiple lightsabers in combat and he didn't use the 'force'.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Right.

I'm not saying they need the force to use multiple lightsabers. I am saying that with both hands already engaged with weapons, a duel-wielder isn't as free to make the motions to use the force.

Think Dragon Age. As a Mage you need your hands free to cast certain abilities. Same thing here. If you got weapons in both hands, how you gonna 'wave' or 'push' or 'pull'?

I got no problem with duel-wielding but if you are gonna get advantages (DPS) with it, there should be some disadvantages (fewer available force powers) to balance it.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think your missing the point. I don't want to use two sabers or a dual bladed saber because I think it is dumb and that most of the heroes I grew up enjoying didn't have two sabers. Jedi were more like samuri. I want to be able to play a dps role without being forced to look stupid.

And I'm worried about the word competitive too. That is like saying, "you could do it but why would you?".

Catastrophe_XXVI on