As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] Thread glitched out. Make a new one.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Amy isn't a good character, Amy is a top 5 contender with no bad matchups and no legitimate weaknesses.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, a good character. Like I just said.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would like for the online interface and netcode not to blow this time around.

Probably a long shot given that it's a Japanese developer.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, I'd personally delineate between a good character and a top 5 character, but I can dig it.

Delineate is a more interesting word.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Hey, the online interface was fine. Of course, I came at it after putting a lot of time into VF5, so my standards may be skewed.

Plus, SC4's netcode doesn't blow, it's just mediocre. I can play almost-perfect matches with connections in the same state. Now, DOA4. That blows.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Worst part about Dead or Alive 4's online is that it often hides the lag so that you only notice it when you're not just mashing. Which means a lot of people don't notice it.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing I do miss about DOA 4 online was how they set up the lobbies with your little character running around. I always thought that was cool.

EDIT: Back on track now, I really should finish the online achievements for SC IV...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Good games last night with Templewulf. It's apparent to me that I need something other than the regular 360 controller if I want to compete. I'm used to the PS3 controller, but damn does my game suffer on the 360. Templewulf pretty much dominated me :P.

As far as the above discussion goes, Amy has nothing but good frames. My ex-gf played as her and could easily own online and she really wasn't that good. Amy can just throw out moves and she has so many techs that you're eventually going to whiff against her and get stun chained.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    New Soulcalibur team hard at work.

62121201.v1293538214.jpg

I may be play a bit tonight if my net connection is reasonable; I've got offline sessions lined up tomorrow, so it shouldn't bother me too much. I really need to get a new router, though.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    The reason I really hate the guest characters is because they all don't feel like they belong in the game. They should expand on the awesome cast they have already, but if they do put more guest in, at least make them valid choices. The Star wars characters just didn't belong in the SC universe. Netiher did Heihachi or Spawn. Bring in Kratos, one of the Belmonts, or even ugh.....Dante (Dante's Inferno Dante not DMC). At least they "fit" the SC time period and would all have a easy ways to tie them into the SC story line.

I've always loved the SC story line and characters, I just think it could be so much better than what it is if it took on a more serious tone and stayed consistent.

I would like a game with a more serious tone in the style of pre-eclipse Berserk, but we at minimum have a comically evil Zombie Pirate. Maybe sci-fi clashes a bit much, but a gritty reboot would clash with about half the cast.
    I even think the create a character thing was a little overdone. It was cool that you get to create a fighter, but in the end all you get is a reskinned main character fighing in his underware with clown shoes and an S&M mask on his head using a rubber mallet for a weapon.
    Fuck you! My created characters are awesome.

Yes, that's my point. Cervantes back story from Soul Blade and SC1 it sounds pretty dark and gritty. After aquiring the Soul Edge he murders his entire crew yet he has no memory of doing so. But then through out the series we teeter on the edge of dark and gritty to comical and silly; especially when the characters talk, ugh. But it is a fighting game, and I'm not expecting a masterpiece of a story, I just think if they put in more effort to keep it serious it would add a lot to the series. That's just Namco's writing style, they did the same thing in the Tekken series. Good fighting, rediculously stupid story with cool characters.

Lol, I see you take pride in you clown shoed fighter. I had a Mitsurugi re-armored and re-colored that looked bad ass and a few other guys that looked pretty cool. I guess I'm just bitter that I got beaten a few times by guys using the rubber mallet :P.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    voodoosporkvoodoospork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dread Pirate Raphael is still the best costume ever.

voodoospork on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Very true.

Looking forward to having to choose a new main, like every other Soulcalibur. Hopefully they make Cassandra playable again.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I would get online again, but I played some yesterday because my hype levels were at maximum then I remembered how trash it was.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still have warm feelings for this franchise. I still remember it on the dreamcast. Cerrrrrvantes wins!

battledrill on

edited December 2010
    A new Soulcalibur?

I'll keep my eye on it, but I don't know that I'm all that enthused about it. The second one was excellent and pretty much the reason I brought a PS2, but the series just seemed to get less and less enthralling with 3 and 4.

Here's hoping 5 puts the magic back in.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm somewhat glad that I didn't really get into this series seriously until 4. So many long time fans seem to be disenchanted by Soul Calibur, but I fucking love IV. It's easily my most played game of this gen.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You can blame Soulcalibur 3 for all the bad vibes. Soulcalibur 4 was a good fighting game, it just skimped on all the single player nonsense.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Good games last night with Templewulf. It's apparent to me that I need something other than the regular 360 controller if I want to compete. I'm used to the PS3 controller, but damn does my game suffer on the 360. Templewulf pretty much dominated me :P.

The 360 dpad is total garbage. I limped along on the analog stick for a while, but the MadCatz Fightpad (I got mine at a B&M store) really helped me out. A friend of mine got the TE stick (which is on sale b1g1 right now), and it's upped his SF and SC game tremendously.

Be warned, though, that switching to an arcade stick will temporarily make you terrible until you relearn your muscle memory.

Also, I wouldn't call it dominating; we just haven't played in a while and you need to relearn some of the match ups. I know that even when I have a favorable match up against Voldo, I tend to freeze up because WTF.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Heck, I've been playing since Soul Blade and I still like SC4.

Though, speaking of SC3, I think the one thing it did well, and I would like to see in SC5, was it's extensive training tutorial.

It explained a lot of important things about the game and was very helpful.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Heck, I've been playing since Soul Blade and I still like SC4.
    Hell yes!
    Though, speaking of SC3, I think the one thing it did well, and I would like to see in SC5, was it's extensive training tutorial.

It explained a lot of important things about the game and was very helpful.
    Hell. Yes.

If more fighting games came with quality tutorials (e.g. VF4:Evo), it'd go a long way to luring in new blood.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Only if they get a better translator. Half the shit in there was so badly explained, and if I remember some of it was flat out wrong.

Main reason they had it, though, was because the transition from Soulcalibur 2 to Soulcalibur 3 was huge, and some of the new stuff did deserve explaining.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010

The 360 dpad is total garbage. I limped along on the analog stick for a while, but the MadCatz Fightpad (I got mine at a B&M store) really helped me out. A friend of mine got the TE stick (which is on sale b1g1 right now), and it's upped his SF and SC game tremendously.

Be warned, though, that switching to an arcade stick will temporarily make you terrible until you relearn your muscle memory.

Also, I wouldn't call it dominating; we just haven't played in a while and you need to relearn some of the match ups. I know that even when I have a favorable match up against Voldo, I tend to freeze up because WTF.

Don't be modest templewulf, you're pretty good :D

Yeah, I use the analog because it's more accurate than the DPAD sadly. I own a Hori stick, but I just cannot play Soul Calibur with it. I'm not sure if I want to relearn the game from the ground up, I've already got the muscle memory with a pad.

I would honestly sit down and re-learn it with a stick if my friend owned two sticks (or I had a PS3 stick). Since I play the majority of my Soul Calibur on a PS3 and my stick is for the 360, I'd still be stuck playing with a pad at his house. :(

I looked long and hard at the SF4 FightPads but their button layout is so different that once again I'd be stuck forcing new muscle memory on my brain. I'm considering that new 360 controller with the transforming DPAD. Has anyone tried it?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm hoping that Soul Calibur 5 isn't 3d (or faster sidestepping mechanics) and has actual specials.

They have to take the clunkiness out of this franchise.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not even going to touch that one.

But I'd really love a Last Blade 3.

The future of Soulcalibur?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzXDxLBblM

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Omg.

index_06.jpg

http://www.hori.jp/us/products/xbox360/horipad_ex_tb/index.html

Well, now to find a brick 'n mortar place that sells these puppies. I imagine I'll be making a trip to the Pacific Mall rather soon.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing I'll always miss from SC II was that each bonus weapon had a story attached to it. I also hope the weapon demonstrations return. Those were fun to watch.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Hey, the online interface was fine. Of course, I came at it after putting a lot of time into VF5, so my standards may be skewed.

Plus, SC4's netcode doesn't blow, it's just mediocre. I can play almost-perfect matches with connections in the same state. Now, DOA4. That blows.

What I remember from playing, or trying to play, SC4 online was joining a open lobby, waiting for the other people to finish there match, for 3 or so minutes, then them immediately kicking me when it was my turn to play. This happened all the time until I just gave up trying to play matches online.

Imagine for a second Blizzard's Battle.net functionality and interface applied to a game like Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, or Soul Calibur. It would be incredible.

Assuming they can get the netcode to not suck.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Soul Caliber could really benefit from a back to basics approach methinks. First off axe any dumb cross-universe cameos. Second, stop making female characters look like cracked out megawhores. I mean come on I don't want to look at anything that half way resembles this. That's walking the line into survial horror territory for me. Obviously dough bewbs are a series mainstay but at some point you have to scale back humongoid melons like that.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    First off axe any dumb cross-universe cameos. Second, stop making female characters look like cracked out megawhores. I mean come on I don't want to look at anything that half way resembles this. That's walking the line into survial horror territory for me. Obviously dough bewbs are a series mainstay but at some point you have to scale back humongoid melons like that.

5 pages you guys are slowing down.

Listen I don't care if people dislike the character designs because "opinions" but it has no bearing on the gameplay and all it does is bog down threads for pages.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    One thing I'll always miss from SC II was that each bonus weapon had a story attached to it. I also hope the weapon demonstrations return. Those were fun to watch.

I always enjoyed that as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    First off axe any dumb cross-universe cameos. Second, stop making female characters look like cracked out megawhores. I mean come on I don't want to look at anything that half way resembles this. That's walking the line into survial horror territory for me. Obviously dough bewbs are a series mainstay but at some point you have to scale back humongoid melons like that.

Listen I don't care if people dislike the character designs because but it has no bearing on the gameplay and all it does is bog down threads for pages.

Basically.

I was really pissed when people shitted up the SC4 thread talking about Ivy's rude titties for like 40 or so pages. Rather, than something actually relevant to the game.

Get over it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Listen I don't care if people dislike the character designs because but it has no bearing on the gameplay and all it does is bog down threads for pages.

Basically.

I was really pissed when people shitted up the SC4 thread talking about Ivy's rude titties for like 40 or so pages. Rather, than something actually relevant to the game.

Get over it.

Aesthetics are important to any game. I think the art direction of these games has taken a sharp nose dive since 2. Will the gameplay is what is most important, undoubtable, I think that since that thread is basically hopes for the next iteration of the series, I don't think it's inappropriate for people to voice their concerns.

Come on guys, we are all breast friends here.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In SC5 Ivy and Taki will have unique counters that involve using the centripetal force generated by their jugs to spin back around and whack you in the face.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, arguing about art direction every now and then is okay, but when the only input people have is too complain about that and they have little else relevant to say about the game, yes I get annoyed. Since, in the long run, it's probably one of the least important things about the game.

Especially, as in the SC4 thread, when it just devolves into a lot of stupid with little point.

I mean that hasn't happen, yet(mainly because SC5 doesn't have any screenshots), but excuse me if I place a much greater importance in gameplay in fighting games and don't care if someone isn't a fan of large titties. Though, I guess everyone needs to feel like they've offering some input, no matter how irrelevant.

Honestly, as for art direction. I can't say SC has taken a sharp dive at all. Some characters have lame costumes, but that's always been the case, and the series is generally consistent.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think my favorite part of SC4 was watching Page beat people with Rock. It was like a child with gigantism having a tantrum on a ragdoll.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Honestly, as for art direction. I can't say SC has taken a sharp dive at all. Some characters have lame costumes, but that's always been the case, and the series is generally consistent.

Consistently upping the fanservice and insanity ante, sure.

Also, this time, no having to unlock characters please.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Whatever, I'll just roll my eyes, because I'm not trying to get sucked into this stupid.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not really trying to invalidate your stance of gameplay is more important and that art direction is meaningless.

Just trying to state my opinion that the art direction has not been really all that consistent.

Also costume customization I feel kinds of offset the dumb art direction anyway.

On the gameplay side I kinda still enjoy SC gameplay so I'm kinda looking forward to it!?

Also wondering if the soul guage (SP?)/clothe damage system.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Changing the way characters are unlocked would be a great move. At least they've always had the good sense to make it possible to get everything without ever touching the singleplayer crap.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    if it spawned a 40-pages-discussion then art direction is obviously important at least to some of us (I complained about boobs on page 3)

Alfred J. Kwak on
This discussion has been closed.