As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] Thread glitched out. Make a new one.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    This shit is bananas.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Geralt would also have been perfectly acceptable.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    That's it for now. There was more information disseminated, but there's a blanket nda on everyone who got even a whiff of it. Seems like even the single picture we got was a little too much.

What I've been told is that the CE will be worth the money and any other guest characters will not be overtly offensive.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Ezio as a guest character? Nice! Much better than star wars character. At least his looks kinda fit with the rest of the game.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Well, Ezio does fit within the timeframe (we're still roughly in Renaissance era Europe, right?). You can't say this doesn't make sense from a historical, thematic and business standpoint. AC is pretty high profile, and that should help generate more positive buzz for SC V than the Star Wars cameos did.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:

I hate you so very much, because I want this badly, and know it will never happen.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah I am ok with him as a character. Not being a fan of or even really playing the AC games, I can look at him from that standpoint and not single him out as a lolguest.

I mean, I spent a good 3 minutes looking at that pic and wondering why you made no mention of the dude selected in it. This is because I didn't even realize he was a guest. That says something.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ezio Auditore is one of the most likable characters in video game history, hopefully that translates to Soul Calibur.

At any rate, interested in SC5 a bit more now :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Ezio is a way better choice than the Star Wars characters. He fits.

I'm perfectly fine with guest characters as long as there isn't a ton of them and they at least fit in some sense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Some of the people I've seen who are most tolerant about the guest characters (revealed or not), and who are saddled with the nda, are also the ones who are vehemently against them being allowed in tournaments. Which is why I'm leaning toward the guest characters being part of the CE, because it doesn't make sense for Ezio to be console exclusive, unless he ends up on one console and another Assassin's Creed character ends up on the PS3.

We're going to have to wait a few more days for the nda to be lifted so everything can be made clear. With the new January release date there's only 3 months to reveal the last 15 characters; the new ones shown in the supposed leak haven't been properly revealed. That would be a character a week at least, right up to the release date. And since they're announcing the CE and all that it includes, we have to suppose they'll announce the exclusive characters as well.

On top of that, we haven't gotten even the barest glimpse of any modes besides standard versus. I would say that starting as soon as the nda lifts there will be a very steady stream of announcements.

Also looking forward to NEC even more now. I hope all those Soulcalibur 5 rumours pan out.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Where does the January date come from? That seems awfully soon with so much left to reveal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    From the same place the CE, stick, and guest character reveal came from.

It'll be a few days before that's solid as well.

stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    January release date? That's bananas...I was thinking March at the least.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Page- wrote:
    This is what they're showing:

2j4blw6.jpg

If legit, that would be our first look at Nightmare, also a new character (the one in the hat), and in the bottom left is the created character icon, as well as coloured Leixia art. So that's space for 29 characters, with 17 revealed, and 3 months till release.

Looked at that picture...

A) OMG...Nightmare...and it looks like the original too...I hope he is the broadsword version.
    B)If that stuff about people being opposite their rival/character relation stuff is true...opposite of Leixia=Evil Kilik maybe?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Doesn't exactly fit the pattern of the top row being all new characters, middle rows being returning characters. Daishi did say that it would be about a 50/50 split between them.

And in that case Maxi should be opposite Astaroth, not Mitsu.

stream
  • Options
    Well...isn't that a new Astaroth?

But yeah, you're right...I forgot about the top row being new characters.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

A) OMG...Nightmare...and it looks like the original too...I hope he is the broadsword version.
    B)If that stuff about people being opposite their rival/character relation stuff is true...opposite of Leixia=Evil Kilik maybe?
    That's obviously the 2nd guest character: JoJo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, here to defeat ZWEI and his Stand.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm going to go ahead and admit that I'm the reason these guys keep putting guest characters in. I've never really followed SC too closely, but GOD DAMN I want to play it now because of Ezio.

I didn't even like SCIV!

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I never played Assassin's Creed but that guy fits a hella lot better than the other guests so far. So I'm okay with this.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping for a WiiU version next year with Link <_<

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Wow, Ezio fits in perfectly. Possibly the best guest character so far.
    The game's gonna have Lizardman in it, right? Right? :(

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Slightly paranoid about the possibility that the game is either being rushed and/or phoned in. January release means 9 months from announcement to release. Then again, Marvel had a similar schedule.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    my kingdom for Guts cameo sometime ever. Guts and Griffith.
    now, they would fit in!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    B:L wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

That's obviously the 2nd guest character: JoJo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, here to defeat ZWEI and his Stand.

As soon as I saw the picture this morning, this is exactly what I came here to post. The pic, with that silly hat looks like JoJo, and fits perfectly as a rival to ZWEI. Incoming time stop Critical Edge. :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I can definately get behind Ezio as a guest.

But only because he's blending with the crowd so well.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    AC characters are the town biycle of video game cameos...

Truer words.

• Options
    Slightly paranoid about the possibility that the game is either being rushed and/or phoned in. January release means 9 months from announcement to release. Then again, Marvel had a similar schedule.

The game was actually announced last December. That's when Daishi and Harada set up the twitter account and said work has started, and then showed the first bits of concept stuff. So that's a little over a year. However, there are some things that help, like getting another studio to do all the single-player work, and using the same engine as the last game.

Still, they've been promising balance patches and dlc since they started working on the game, so at least there's that to fall back on.

stream
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    How much life do the characters in soul calibur normally have? Is it all the same or does it vary from character to character. I'm hearing that SS/CS do 80 damage, but that seems low. Maybe they nerfed it. I recall those two doing something like 30-40%

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    How much life do the characters in soul calibur normally have? Is it all the same or does it vary from character to character. I'm hearing that SS/CS do 80 damage, but that seems low. Maybe they nerfed it. I recall those two doing something like 30-40%

SC characters don't have varying health.

SC4 is about 250 I believe. So 80 seems about right.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    IT was 250 for a long time, from what I remember. And it has never varied, there is no life or defense differences like in the Guilty Gear / Blaz Blue games. So thats roughly 30%

• Options
    Yeah, characters in 3d fighters don't often have different health or defence (i.e., Soulcalibur, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive).

They mode often mix it up with different weights, like in Virtua Fighter or Dead or Alive, or sizes, like in Soulcalibur. In Soulcalibur they also all have different back steps, forwards steps, and side steps. For example, Vader has a very strong side step in Soulcalibur 4, while Rock has one of the best forward steps. In Virtua Fighter every character has a different weight, which determines how fast they fall during combos, and which combos will work. In Soulcalibur as well some characters are larger or smaller than others and combo differently or have to block moves differently. Like Amy's 66b:a. The 66b forces crouch, and the a is a guard break. Against most characters the force crouch will cause the a to whiff, but characters like Rock and Astaroth are big enough that they have to manually duck the a.

There are exceptions, though. In Soulcalibur 4 Yoda's soul gauge is exceptionally small, making it easier to get critical finishes on him.

stream
  • Options
    In further retroactive news, there were a bunch of people at this secret press conference that nobody can talk about where Namco spilled all the beans about Soulcalibur 5, and not just Markman this time. Jaxel was there as well, and annoyed that anything was leaked in the first place (which is why the news didn't make the front page of 8wr, and won't until the nda is lifted).

He met up with the Namco guys who were there, and gave Tago a hat:

2qnwbo8.jpg

They've already acknowledged that part of the fan base, but it's nice of them to make it a little more intimate.

And, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFht_6AWGWY&amp;feature=player_embedded

stream
  • Options
    I'm hearing that the nda will be lifted on Thursday.

I've also heard vague hints about the guy with the hat possibly owning a musket. And that Nightmare is really fast. Which I hope means something other than what it might mean, though at this point I'd be willing to give that a go. Also, Leixia is finally playable.

So at least we know the wait won't be long.

stream
  • Options
    I still find it hard to beleive those guys i used to play with as noobs are all important now.

I like the fact they used Soul Edge music in that vid. Still the best soundtrack by far.

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Ezio is awesome. Gonna miss my lightsabers, though. :(

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    So the top row was supposed to be all new characters but the guy in the hat is actually Raph?

Right next to ViolAmy?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    So the top row was supposed to be all new characters but the guy in the hat is actually Raph?

Right next to ViolAmy?

So...ViolAmy all but confirmed at this point.

Also...Raphael costume sucks. Hopefully his 2P is good.

Also...it is classic Nightmare...yay!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote:

Right next to ViolAmy?

So...ViolAmy all but confirmed at this point.

And what's with the rumor that Nightmare has feminine eyes? I can't see shit.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Absalon wrote:

I hate you so very much, because I want this badly, and know it will never happen.

Ditto.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.