As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camera? Camera!

PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you.in Beach CityRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Pondering which new camera to get, since my Canon PowerShot A520 is going down for the count. This is what I'm looking for:

1) Relatively simple controls, much like my poor dying PowerShot. (If I want complicated I'll just go to my N70)
2) Built-in and fairly good quality macro-capabilities. (Switching out lenses? See above.)
3) Runs on AA's. (Fancier batteries? See #1.)
4) A manual setting.
5) More than 4 megapixels.
6) No more than $200, preferably under $150.

It has been... 6 years now, about, since I even looked at camera stats and who has what, which is why I'm asking for recommendations in this. Please include links. Thanks in advance. :)

Passerbye on

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got a Samsung SL310W model that I picked up over a year ago from best buy. It's a 13.1 megapixel camera that runs off of rechargeable lithium ION battery (sorry, no AA's but I like rechargable). Think at the time I got it the price was about 150.00. Samsung has some lower MP models that may even be cheaper but the battery thing is the only non-match of your list.

Some Stats:
    Lens: Wide-angle 28mm optical zoom
    Maximum aperture: f/2.8
    Optical zoom: 3.6x
    Face detection: Yes
    Blink detection: Yes
    Self-portrait: Yes
    Smile shot technology: Yes
    Image stabilization: Yes, optical and digital
    Dual image stabilization: Yes
    Red-eye fix: Yes
    Video recording: Yes, via MPEG-4 format
    Display: 2.7-inch Intelligent LCD
    Supported memory cards: SD/SDHC (not included)
    Scene modes: 11
    Shutter speeds: 1 to 1/1,500 second (auto); 8 to 1/1,500 second (manual)
    ISO: Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,600, 3,200
    Battery: Rechargeable lithium ion
    Item width: 3.6 inches - Item height: 2.4 inches - Item depth: 0.9 inches - Weight: 4.9 ounces

http://digital-camera-avatar.blogspot.com/2009/04/samsung-sl-310w-131mp-digital-camera.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SL-310W-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001BS810G (has 19 customer reviews, 10 5s, 2 4s, 7 1s).

Personally I've never had any problems with it and it takes really good resolution shots. I do carry a spare battery on me if I'm going to have extended periods of pics without a nearby power source to connect to for some recharging. FYI, It's my only camera though so its the only suggestion I have, Passer.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Every camera I've ever used that used AA's, sucked them down like there was no tomorrow. Yeah, you can walk into any store and buy fresh batteries, but all the cameras I've used that have rechargeable lithium ion batteries take thousands of pictures before they need a recharge.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    I got a Samsung SL310W model that I picked up over a year ago from best buy. It's a 13.1 megapixel camera that runs off of rechargeable lithium ION battery (sorry, no AA's but I like rechargable). Think at the time I got it the price was about 150.00. Samsung has some lower MP models that may even be cheaper but the battery thing is the only non-match of your list.
    Some Stats:
    Item width: 3.6 inches - Item height: 2.4 inches - Item depth: 0.9 inches - Weight: 4.9 ounces

http://digital-camera-avatar.blogspot.com/2009/04/samsung-sl-310w-131mp-digital-camera.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SL-310W-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001BS810G (has 19 customer reviews, 10 5s, 2 4s, 7 1s).

Personally I've never had any problems with it and it takes really good resolution shots. I do carry a spare battery on me if I'm going to have extended periods of pics without a nearby power source to connect to for some recharging. FYI, It's my only camera though so its the only suggestion I have, Passer.

1) How long is 'extended periods of pics'?
    2) I'm assuming you had to buy a separate charger for the fancy battery. How much did it cost?
    3) How do the macros come out?
    Every camera I've ever used that used AA's, sucked them down like there was no tomorrow. Yeah, you can walk into any store and buy fresh batteries, but all the cameras I've used that have rechargeable lithium ion batteries take thousands of pictures before they need a recharge.

I use rechargeable AA batteries for the Canon I've got right now, they work just fine for my purposes. I just need something that'll last through 3-4 hours of sporadic use (ie - walking through some place and snapping the occasional picture of something every few minutes, in most cases having the camera off between photos.) This isn't going to be a long-photo session camera, just a glorified point and shoot with a little more room for play and the ability to take pictures of ants.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Some Stats:

1) How long is 'extended periods of pics'?
    2) I'm assuming you had to buy a separate charger for the fancy battery. How much did it cost?
    3) How do the macros come out?

1) Sadly, I do not recall how many pics I had gone thru before I noticed it dying. I know it died at the zoo so I'll count those up when I get home and PM you a number. That was when I knew I needed a spare battery and hadn't thought about it. We found a local best buy and I picked up my spare battery there.
    Except for that one trip I haven't really had to do extended picture taking. The battery is only 1050 mAh I think so if you can get a 1500 mAh secondary you should have plenty of power. Not sure how much power is eaten if you go max resolution with super fine pixel quality.

2) actually I just picked up an extra battery (about 25 bucks I think). The camera charges thru the usb connector so basically I just use the camera to charge. The camera for me came with a wall mount usb connector so you can have a full charge in a couple of hours. So that's what I use for charging. Basically I charge a battery, put it in my camera case, then charge the next one which stays in the camera. If you do want a stand alone charger they may run around 60+ dollars if I recall (when I found out what the camera came with I pretty much neglected a charger). They might be down in price now.

3) For the macros I was doing close ups on my painted miniatures. Lighting was not the greatest so I had to use a flash but it looked decent. I am not a picture expert so your mileage will vary but at the 13mp resolution the definition was pretty sharp. If I can find where I put my pics I'll try to link them so you can get an idea. If you can find one in your city to test out, by all means do so and see what you think. I know I picked up this model since it had the highest megapixel count and was oddly the cheapest at the time that I had seen in this type of camera and it had the macro option in it.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    90% of the digicams you can buy today don't use AA batteries, and they almost always come with a battery and a charger. My Sony Cybershot is 10.1 MP, with 10x Optical Zoom (which was a requirement for me) and was pretty cheap when I bought it 2 years ago (Under $200).

It also takes pretty damn good pictures*, and has all of the fancy schmancy image-stabilization features and whatnot. It's bulky though, it's not one of those slim cameras that fits inside of your wallet.

* Warning - Link is 1.6 megs. Also is creepy.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jak - Thanks, the in-camera charging sounds like cool-beans. I'm looking forward to seeing your examples on the macro side. The Samsung is looking pretty good right now.

MGHM - That's not creepy, that's fantastic. And I don't mind bulky cameras.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Went and counted my shots Passer. Got 182 in before camera died. Do not recall how much of a charge I had but it was not a full charge. That was over the course of 3 hours I think going back and forth. Just looked at my battery and its only 800 mAh so yeah, getting a 1050 or bigger mAh battery may go longer on shot usage if you are out and about taking a steady stream of pics.

Here are macro shots.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Jakarrd/Warhammer%2040k%20Models/Daemonette1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Jakarrd/Warhammer%2040k%20Models/ChaosDP3.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Jakarrd/Warhammer%2040k%20Models/ChaosP2.jpg

Just taken macro shots. Done with a flash and without a flash, resized.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Jakarrd/Warhammer%2040k%20Models/SDC10845.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Jakarrd/Warhammer%2040k%20Models/SDC10844.jpg

Jakarrd on

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hmmmmmmmn. It's a debate now between the Samsung and the Sony. But at least I've got an idea of where to start. Thank you.

Passerbye on