Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Lets Talk About 3D Gaming "The Goggles, they do nuzzing!"

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
Some people love it, some people hate it, but regardless of what we think 3D is going to get jammed down our throats until it either dies or catches on. So this thread is to talk about 3D gaming, what you think of it, do you do any gaming in 3D, do you intend to buy a 3D device at any point, ask for advice, etc.

I myself own a 3D TV, 3D monitor, and I intend to get a 3DS day one. No I'm not a pathetic consumer whore that must buy every new shiny thing the second it comes out. I just happened to be buying a TV and 3D was a feature, not the reason I bought it. I got a good deal too, 1600 bucks for a 73" 3D DLP a year ago. The monitor was a 500ish dollar monitor that I got for around 200 bucks, so hell why not? And the 3DS is totally awesome, I can say that having played with the system quite a bit.

So far I'm happy gaming on my 3D TV, any 3D supported game content I've played on it has looked amazing. Super Stardust HD 3D should come with every single new 3D TV, it's just mindgasming. Black Ops on the 360 was pretty damn fun and amazing in 3D as well. There may be dick for TV and movie content on 3D TVs, but it seems like 3D gaming is going to be well supported. With Sony announcing that by the end of next year the PS3 will have 50 more 3D titles, I can only hope that the trend keeps up, and Microsoft will possibly take note.

The monitor on the other hand I've had for about a week and I'm iffy on it. It requires a lot of adjusting to work good in any way, and that's just because it's trying to force 3D on games that weren't designed for it. Games that are 3D certified look quite a bit better, but most things still have varying amounts of ghosting/double imaging that you just have to "live with". I'm sure though, that as more games come out specifically designed with 3D in mind the monitor will perform much better.

This thread is for all you guys to talk about anything and everything 3D gaming.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_television

Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
The_Spaniard on
«13

Posts

  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited December 2010
    quake did it pretty well

    undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited December 2010
    undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The first comment that typically comes out with regards to 3D is that it isn't really going to catch on until it's done without glasses.

    And that would largely be my take as well.

    Also interested in the 3DS.

    subedii on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing I wanted to say about 3D gaming - a lot of people say that it has no practical application, that you can't do anything with gameplay in three visual dimensions that you couldn't do before, and that there's no reason to assume that it could improve one's playing ability due to the extra depth sensitivity, etc.

    I don't think that's necessarily true. If you're able to cross your eyes and see an image in 3D, line up the purple boxes here:

    45608588.png

    Which box is closest to you? If you can answer correctly, you win the minigame and have seen one possible gaming application of 3D.

    And of course the first thing to come to mind is "so what?" which is natural because the example is stupid and simple and very limited. If you were asked that question in a regular game, you'd normally use other depth-perception cues, such as whichever box is biggest or appears to move fastest. But I think other gaming applications are possible using similar concepts. It's not a dead end of game design, just one that takes some ingenuity as usual.

    Now, whether anyone would be willing to try to make a game with mechanics based on 3D concepts, that's another matter entirely. The whole reason for the 3DS's slider is so that you can turn it off, which I suspect many people will be doing for various reasons, so you're limiting your audience by trying to make a mechanic out of it.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One thing I wanted to say about 3D gaming - a lot of people say that it has no practical application, that you can't do anything with gameplay in three visual dimensions that you couldn't do before, and that there's no reason to assume that it could improve one's playing ability due to the extra depth sensitivity, etc.

    I don't think that's necessarily true. If you're able to cross your eyes and see an image in 3D, line up the purple boxes here:

    45608588.png

    Which box is closest to you? If you can answer correctly, you win the minigame and have seen one possible gaming application of 3D.

    And of course the first thing to come to mind is "so what?" which is natural because the example is stupid and simple and very limited. If you were asked that question in a regular game, you'd normally use other depth-perception cues, such as whichever box is biggest or appears to move fastest. But I think other gaming applications are possible using similar concepts. It's not a dead end of game design, just one that takes some ingenuity as usual.

    Now, whether anyone would be willing to try to make a game with mechanics based on 3D concepts, that's another matter entirely. The whole reason for the 3DS's slider is so that you can turn it off, which I suspect many people will be doing for various reasons, so you're limiting your audience by trying to make a mechanic out of it.
    It is a step down from brown to blue. Also Starfox 3D sets a perfect case for practical application. Being in 3D you can actually judge more accurately the distance and size of shit coming at you to doge better.

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Call me when 3D stuff is as cheap as non-3D stuff and I don't have to wear glasses, and then maybe I'll try it. Maybe.

    The marketing push they're doing for 3D just makes me not want to try it. It's annoying. Shut up about 3D already. Admittedly I hate it more in movies because of the brightness issue - is there anything like that happening with TVs and games?

    Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm excited about the 3DS. Mainly because 3d is pretty cool but I wear glasses, so wearing those 3d glasses on top of mine is a chore at best and downright unpleasant at worse. It's the only reason I refuse to see 3d movies.

    ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have the 3d goggles/monitor setup from Nvidia and they work great for some games, and not for others. They've been sitting on the shelf for a while because you need a beast of a machine to enjoy the newer stuff in 3D [because it practically renders double the stuff], though whenever L4D2 pops on, or ME2 I reach for the 3d glasses 3d glasses are enjoyable from time to time.

    I'm interested to see how it progresses with the 3DS and in home 3d televisions. Don't know anyone personally who has a TV yet though it would be interesting to see the glasses thing catch on.

    The glassless 3d technology sounds spiffy but it's doubtful we'll see it in a practical TV package anytime soon.

    Actually I gotta check to see if Amnesia works with these things...

    Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I almost bought the Nvidia package on a whim but decided not to since I had glasses/contacts at the time. Now that I have laser eyes I am interested again. Saw Tron in 3d since my surgery and I was able to focus a lot better compared to other 3D movies I had seen with my contacts.

    HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I almost bought the Nvidia package on a whim but decided not to since I had glasses/contacts at the time. Now that I have laser eyes I am interested again. Saw Tron in 3d since my surgery and I was able to focus a lot better compared to other 3D movies I had seen with my contacts.

    I have contacts and they never seemed to be an issue with the 3D.

    Though I might be missing out!

    Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3D gives me a headache if it goes on for too long. By the end of Avatar, my eyes were extremely agitated.

    But for gaming in short spurts, on a big screen, it could be neat.

    I really, really want to try the new Mortal Kombat in 3D, since they're tailoring it for that anyways. It's the kind of game I play in short spurts.

    Also, while I don't really like sports games (or sports), from what I hear, 3D modes in those games basically tend to make the UI 3D and nothing else. I think that's pretty awesome.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User
    edited December 2010
    I get headaches and eye problems very easily, I'm guessing because I have convergence insufficiency, so I freaking hate 3D at the movies most times. That and because it's usually misused. When I tried the 3DS I was amazed though, not only did the 3D look surprisingly great, I didn't hurt my eyes at all! Of course that it will be harder on the eyes than 2D gaming, but still I was half-expecting to get instant headaches and nausea. Also, the viewing angle was pretty good, I was playing standing up, moving from 3DS to 3DS, talking to the booth babes and for the stereoscopic to "stop working" I needed to do it on purpose. Pretty cool.

    On the other hand, I went to a GT5 press thingy, tried it on a 3D Sony TV and it was terrible! Half the time I was wondering if the glasses weren't turned off.

    Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

    Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    I almost bought the Nvidia package on a whim but decided not to since I had glasses/contacts at the time. Now that I have laser eyes I am interested again. Saw Tron in 3d since my surgery and I was able to focus a lot better compared to other 3D movies I had seen with my contacts.

    I have contacts and they never seemed to be an issue with the 3D.

    Though I might be missing out!

    Previously 3D movies felt like the Magic Eye books. I had to wait a bit and stare directly at it and then the full effect was ready. Looking anywhere else on the screen or somewhere would start to blur our stuff.

    Could be different tech but I blame my new eye. The preview stuff before the movie worked right away. During the movie when I got distracted by asshole texters and looked back at the screen all was fine.

    HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really looking very much forward to the Shadow/ICO collection, HD and full 3D support. The original developers said that they wanted the games to be in 3D when they were first developing them, but lacked the technology, so they just put some programing hooks in to add it later if they ever got the chance. So they said that actually adding 3D for the re-release was cake. Imagine big ass Colossi in 3D. <3

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • DritzDritz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think people will be waiting a long time for 3D TVs without glasses. However waiting for glasses free 3D computer monitors and laptops might be a good bet since you wouldn't have to worry as much about viewing angles.

    If you are looking for a TV anyways it seems silly to not get one with 3D. At least for now the 3D TVs tend to be some of the best for 2D content. I imagine that'll change at CES and they will be many more lower end 3D TVs.

    Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have no interest in 3D on a console because of having to wear glasses. Also, having not done it I am curious about whether you have to be in a direct line of sight for 3D gaming to work. I move while gaming at times so wearing glasses and having to adjust to it each time I look away seems like a hassle.

    However, I am very interested in the 3DS because of the slider and the fact that it is done without glasses. I am slightly skeptical about how this will work. I would be interested in anyone who has played the 3DS or knows more about it than I do could explain how it works.

    nevermore13 on
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I sometimes play Gran Turismo 5 in 3D when the mood takes me. It's pretty and looks very nice, but there's no need or benefit to do so.

    Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have no interest in 3D on a console because of having to wear glasses. Also, having not done it I am curious about whether you have to be in a direct line of sight for 3D gaming to work. I move while gaming at times so wearing glasses and having to adjust to it each time I look away seems like a hassle.

    However, I am very interested in the 3DS because of the slider and the fact that it is done without glasses. I am slightly skeptical about how this will work. I would be interested in anyone who has played the 3DS or knows more about it than I do could explain how it works.

    Naw you can jump around with the glasses on, just as long as you don't turn your head completely to the side or sit upside down.

    I've played extensively with the 3DS, I even mentioned it in this thread, why do people keep asking for people that have played with one to comment on it? Anyway the glassesless 3D is great with the 3DS.

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I have no interest in 3D on a console because of having to wear glasses. Also, having not done it I am curious about whether you have to be in a direct line of sight for 3D gaming to work. I move while gaming at times so wearing glasses and having to adjust to it each time I look away seems like a hassle.

    However, I am very interested in the 3DS because of the slider and the fact that it is done without glasses. I am slightly skeptical about how this will work. I would be interested in anyone who has played the 3DS or knows more about it than I do could explain how it works.

    There are several methods of 3D-

    Polarized lenses: This is what movie theaters use. They use two projectors that project an image on the screen, one for each eye. Each lens can only let the light from one projector pass thus each eye only sees a specific image. (Cheap glasses, expensive projector, impractical for home use)

    LCD shutter glasses: This is what TVs use. The TV alternates frames for each eye. The glasses synchronize with the TV to block out the image for the other eye thus each eye only sees the image it needs to see. This requires a high refresh rate (120hz+) and the glasses are much more expensive.

    Parallax barrier: This is what the 3DS will use. The screen has twice as many horizontal pixels as the image that is shown, alternating columns for each eye. A special barrier on the front of the screen allows each eye to only see the specific columns that the eyes need to see.

    The two glasses technologies allow you to move freely and watch from any angle since no matter what, each eye can only see what it was meant to see. The glasses-less one requires a specific viewing angle thus is currently impractical for TV/theaters, however works for a handheld device where the user is typically directly in front of the device.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thank you Spaniard, sorry about asking about the 3DS I forgot you mentioned that in the OP.

    Also, thanks Rakal for the detailed description of the different types of 3D that really helped me understand how each will work and how they differ.

    nevermore13 on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought a Virtual Boy at launch because I thought it would be awesome. It was awesome but totally impractical and definitely not something that ever had a chance at catching on.

    I loved me some Red Alarm.

    slash000 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Glasses on top of glasses are not comfortable at all.

    So to 3D, I kindly say you can shove it.

    But that's just my personal opinion, if you like it, more power to ya.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wonder if they make prescription 3D glasses.

    slash000 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    I wonder if they make prescription 3D glasses.

    I'm sure someone is workin' on it, but at this point in time they'd be used to infrequently that it wouldn't be worth the money.

    Not to mention that there's like a dozen different kinds of 3D glasses tech out there.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have you noticed that most people don't really object to 3D but more having to wear glasses to see things in 3D. Also a lot of people who are against 3D tech have eye problems anyway?

    GaryO on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    Have you noticed that most people don't really object to 3D but more having to wear glasses to see things in 3D. Also a lot of people who are against 3D tech have eye problems anyway?

    How hard would it be for them just to make clip-on 3D lenses available at the theatre?

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    Have you noticed that most people don't really object to 3D but more having to wear glasses to see things in 3D. Also a lot of people who are against 3D tech have eye problems anyway?

    How hard would it be for them just to make clip-on 3D lenses available at the theatre?

    Even with 3D glasses I only see maybe 1/10 actual 3D effects, my right eye is alot stronger than my left eye so in normal eyes the 2 3D images would overlap to produce the 3D effect. However my right eye pretty much overides anything that my left eye can also see which means I dont see 3D. so for me personally no matter what they do 3D is a waste of time

    GaryO on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Glasses on top of glasses are not comfortable at all.

    So to 3D, I kindly say you can shove it.

    But that's just my personal opinion, if you like it, more power to ya.

    This is mention often, and as someone that wears glasses and has seen multiple movies in 3D I wonder what frames are people wearing.

    Uncharted 3 will make me get a new 3D TV (been due for an updgrade anyways).

    Kyougu on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GaryO wrote: »
    Have you noticed that most people don't really object to 3D but more having to wear glasses to see things in 3D. Also a lot of people who are against 3D tech have eye problems anyway?

    How hard would it be for them just to make clip-on 3D lenses available at the theatre?

    Whether or not a theater makes them, they should be really easy to make and cheap to buy a pair of your own. I'm surprised nobody has bothered.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I totally don't understand geeks who aren't excited about 3D. It's awesome and I for one can't wait to play around with it more. My tv has been paid for and arrives two weeks today ;)

    Also video content isn't that limited really, it's taking off quite well (and I've tracked down Friday the 13th Part 3 and Jaws 3d, and have a couple of other old Field Sequential horrors on order but I'm a sucker for them).

    ::edit:: As for prescription glasses, I haven't seen any, but there are 'clip-on' 3d glasses that work the same as 'clip-on' sun glasses.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited December 2010
    im not excited for it because like touch screen things, i find them amazing for little bits of fun

    but im not going to type a paper up on my ipad, nor am i going to watch every movie in 3d just because

    undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not excited about it because I'm in the camp that gets visual strain/minor headaches after ~20 minutes of viewing. I've already started boycotting movies that I want to see because my closest theatre(s) didn't offer a 2D option. I don't want to be stuck doing the same for games.

    Edit: Not that anyone is suggesting that 3D only games will happen, just a slope I don't particular want to go down.

    EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If you bought Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit because all the advertising and previews said it would be playable in 3D on the PS3, if you complain to EA they will give you a 20 dollar EA store gift card.

    Now it also seems like Criterion in a very skeevy way are trying to distance themselves from the promises of 3D in NFS:HP. Somebody emailed Criterion directly asking what the deal was with 3D, and while EA says it's still coming, this is what Criterion had to say.
    Hi Leon,

    Please point us in the direction of the 3D advertising that you have mentioned. We've never officially announced that we would be releasing 3D support for the game so it's concerning that you have seen details to the contrary.

    Criterion
    This is despite their own twitter site announcing, "3D support for ps3 and pc" and all the marketing saying the same. When pressed about it Criterion said that Twitter is not tantamount to an official announcement.

    I think I just might give EA a call for that gift card because I specifically bought the game as a racer to play on my 3D TV, I wasn't really interested in it beyond that because Paradise is enough Criterion racing fun for me.

    The_Spaniard on
    Xbox 360/One Gamertag: SpanWolf - PS3/PS4 Gamertag: Span_Wolf
    3DS: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883/WiiU:Span_Wolf
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/ - Origin: Span_Wolf
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Another misguided attempt at making videogames more immersive, and just as likely to appear in genres where nobody asked for another layer of gimmicky technology. Waggle the Wiimote to jump, tilt the Sixasis to line up a grenade throw, and now play a third-person fighting game in 3D, or watch a flat road surface look just as flat rushing at you, while the steering wheel looks like it's slightly closer than the TV screen.

    The most promising idea I've seen for putting the player "inside the game" is this guy's proposal.
    Wall the money being thrown at motion control and 3D, you'd think someone in the industry would recognize the value of a technology that combines both in a meaningful fashion without excluding 90% of the potential market by requiring the purchase of a new TV.

    Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    PSN: ZokuGojira
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm not excited about any 3D that requires glasses, but what has been proposed with the 3DS is certainly interesting.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Another misguided attempt at making videogames more immersive, and just as likely to appear in genres where nobody asked for another layer of gimmicky technology. Waggle the Wiimote to jump, tilt the Sixasis to line up a grenade throw, and now play a third-person fighting game in 3D, or watch a flat road surface look just as flat rushing at you, while the steering wheel looks like it's slightly closer than the TV screen.

    The most promising idea I've seen for putting the player "inside the game" is this guy's proposal.
    [url=

    Wall the money being thrown at motion control and 3D, you'd think someone in the industry would recognize the value of a technology that combines both in a meaningful fashion without excluding 90% of the potential market by requiring the purchase of a new TV.

    Except the user is typically stationary, it has zero effect on movies, and it has been done. It isn't remotely promising and vastly overblown.

    Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rakai wrote: »
    Except the user is typically stationary, it has zero effect on movies, and it has been done. It isn't remotely promising and vastly overblown.

    Are you talking about 3D films and motion control when you say "it has been done?" I agree. The former, in particular, has been around for more than a half century. And fumbling attempts at motion control gaming date back nearly 25 years.

    And the "typically stationary" argument applies to 3D films and to all viewing angle dependent, glasses-free 3D gaming, as well.

    As for having zero effect on movies, I can check again, but I don't believe the guy in the video is demonstrating a proof-of-concept for a new way to watch movies on the sofa.

    Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    PSN: ZokuGojira
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    How many of those not interested in 3d gaming have given it a shot? I got chance to play Batman:AA and some racing game a while ago in 3d and it blew me away!

    Also I tried the head tracking idea via homebrew on the Wii. It was neat but nothing special. A combination of that AND 3d would be interesting and is, in a way, already available. Gran Turismo 5 is playable in 3D, and if you've got the PSEye it can perform pretty basic head tracking, I've yet to try it though.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Basically, as someone who wears glasses, until they make it so that 3D is not a gigantic pain in the ass, it will be of no interest to me - hence why the 3DS sounds promising. I can just about tolerate putting on 3D specs over my glasses for a 90 minute film, but that is a rare exception to the rule. In my own home? No way.

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.