As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2 million [Mass Effect Thread]'s in the first day

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't have a problem with Grunt's mission, at least none that I remember. I brought Zaeed and Kasumi, who helped handle the crazy bridge room with all the Berserkers by just laying down grenades like crazy, often knocking them off the side. I also got lucky with the YMIR, as it just kinda stalled out, shooting ineffective missiles at Zaeed's position behind a test-tube.

I went Kasumi - Mordin - Zaeed - Jack - Grunt - Archangel to just try a different order from my first playthrough. I wasn't expecting Archangel's to be as hard as it was, but getting the gates closed was a serious challenge, as I forgot to bring a sufficiently anti-Armor/Vorcha team to handle all the health regen.

Highly recommend bringing Grunt along on Archangel's mission just to get the scene talking with Garn.

metaghost on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah Grunt's isn't much trouble

I had a shitload of trouble with Jack and Archangel though

the latter is a bitch and a half even on some of the easier difficulties though

Elendil on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I exploited that mission so I was in the small doorway that leads into the room with the YMIR and the Blue Suns boss. Every time I wanted to regen my barriers I would just pop back into the room with my squad mates covering me. Aside from some areas Insanity on ME2 is fairly easy.

LotSB can get pretty hard in some spots just because it throws so many enemies at you from all sides.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    archangel's mission is a ton of fun, though
    if you're a vanguard

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited January 2011
    I think it's at its best when you play as an Adept at Veteran and below.

finnith on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    I exploited that mission so I was in the small doorway that leads into the room with the YMIR and the Blue Suns boss. Every time I wanted to regen my barriers I would just pop back into the room with my squad mates covering me. Aside from some areas Insanity on ME2 is fairly easy.

LotSB can get pretty hard in some spots just because it throws so many enemies at you from all sides.

That's what I had to do the first time around. Later on, nah, but the first time...whew, I had to cheese that one like a mofo.

Orca on
    edited January 2011
    I've found that a lot of the encounters, especially ones involving YMIRs, are really easy the cheese. I get that they run some pretty basic VI, but man, they are really, really stupid.

finnith on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emporium wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In terms of side missions in ME1, at least one (maybe more) actually involves Cerberus crap. Them doing experiments of the ethically questionable kind.

Also, there are missions to kill some batarians. Killing batarians is fun.

Oh man really? I didn't think there were any batarians in ME1. At least, I haven't seen any. I think.

I think Bring Down the Sky was the introduction of the batarians (at least as far as shooting them in the face goes). I can't recall any other side missions involving batarians.

Well, I Remember Me references them.

It further justifies the huge Batarian kill count all sensible people accumulate.

chiasaur11 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I appear to be doing something simultaneously right and wrong.

The awesome news is that it seems my computer now wants to play nicely with my TV, and both ME1 & ME2 play on the widescreen. It's pretty sweet.

Now the bad news is that in the ages since I last played ME1, I seem to have forgotten one pertinent detail; how do I establish a "new" import save from an old file? To clarify; I loaded up the finale of ME1 on an Engineer save that I'd played to completion before, and somehow have 2 saves for when I boot up ME2 for the import. I played through said finale as before, but this time I saved the Council.

However, when I load up ME2, both Engineer saves still show the Council as being dead.

Now, I know I can grab a save editor and do it that way, but is there any way to just use the file I've already got to produce the result I'm looking for in the game itself? I don't even recall how I made the second copy of the engineer, but that's basically what I want. Same character, third import file.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    I think it's at its best when you play as an Adept at Veteran and below.

Adept on Normal is what you do to wind down after a long day of Insanity Vanguarding.

DarkPrimus on
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So i just installed ME2 from steam and i put in my cerberus network code to the bioware site. So all the other DLC on the site i need to buy right?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited January 2011
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    So i just installed ME2 from steam and i put in my cerberus network code to the bioware site. So all the other DLC on the site i need to buy right?

Correct.

You need to buy all the other DLC.

You need to buy all the other DLC.

DarkPrimus on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You shall be shunned if you don't

SHUNNED

Dox the PI on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Orca wrote: »
    Is that considered twincest?

Interestingly enough, depending on the background choices, two different Shepards aren't really the same person. I mean, another is an orphan on Earth, another might not have even visited it. They have different genetics and background. On every "Alternate reality" every other character is always the same, but Shepard is just really a dude/dudette with the name Shepard who ends up in that position. There are probably countless people named Shepard among the Systems Alliance.

I really hope that ME3 explores Shepard's background more. Make him feel more like a real person. I mean, he is already the best written and most relatable main character of all time (FUCK silent protagonists), but having some more would be even better.

DarkCrawler on
    edited January 2011
    In ME3, if you've got the Spacer background, you have two ships in the immediate vicinity that you can send on what is sure to be a suicide mission.

One of them has Admiral Hackett in command.

The other has Shepard's mother.

DarkPrimus on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're forgetting that this is a bioware game and you can probably convince the reapers over the intercom to slow down their attack instead.

Dox the PI on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Horizon is definitely a wall the first time you hit it. Double scion + husk charge is a bitch to handle, especially in a confined space. So that's pretty normal.

I won't say it's smooth sailing from here on out, but that's the most difficult mission in the game IMO. Of course, picking up Grunt on insanity isn't exactly a cakewalk either, but you made it through that too.

Scions are just stupid on Insanity.

They take forever to kill.

And don't get me started about glitchy level geometry that occasionally freezes you in place for their convenience. Don't do it!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Horizon is definitely a wall the first time you hit it. Double scion + husk charge is a bitch to handle, especially in a confined space. So that's pretty normal.

I won't say it's smooth sailing from here on out, but that's the most difficult mission in the game IMO. Of course, picking up Grunt on insanity isn't exactly a cakewalk either, but you made it through that too.

Scions are just stupid on Insanity.

They take forever to kill.

And don't get me started about glitchy level geometry that occasionally freezes you in place for their convenience. Don't do it!

Really, if Heavy Shockwave had the kind of ass-kicking potential as Scion Shockwave, it wouldn't suck anymore.

Szechuan on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    In ME3, if you've got the Spacer background, you have two ships in the immediate vicinity that you can send on what is sure to be a suicide mission.

One of them has Admiral Hackett in command.

The other has Shepard's mother.

>tell ships to dock

>have mom get on hackett's ship

>miranda disagrees

>send miranda on mission

>alone.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In terms of side missions in ME1, at least one (maybe more) actually involves Cerberus crap. Them doing experiments of the ethically questionable kind.

Also, there are missions to kill some batarians. Killing batarians is fun.

There's a series of missions dealing of Cerberus. You end up killing a battalion of square-dancing Cerberus attack personnel.

Synthesis on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    metaghost wrote: »
    Horizon on Insanity is goddamn exhausting.

I'm pretty sure it took me over two hours to clear, especially since it took about 12 deaths to figure out a strategy for clearing the double Scion + Husks battle.

Stupid freezing shockwave attack is annoying as all hell, especially since it insta-killed Miranda.
    I just goosed out on my Insanity run and sniped the Scions from the doorway.

Then died about a dozen times to the collectors because I suck at this game.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it took me over two hours to clear, especially since it took about 12 deaths to figure out a strategy for clearing the double Scion + Husks battle.

Stupid freezing shockwave attack is annoying as all hell, especially since it insta-killed Miranda.

No matter what happens, Horizon is a skill-check on Insanity. :)

Orca on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Horizon is the reason I haven't started a Hardcore or Insanity run yet. Even on Veteran, that two-Scion fight is a pain in the ass, so I know I'm not ready for either of the last two difficulties.

Torso Boy on
    edited January 2011

on my most recent insanity run, i brought the cain. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited January 2011
    I need to replay this game. I actually haven't touched it in the last month. :(

Orca on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

How much random crap do you need to have done to have the Cain at that point? Because I hadn't even unlocked the Avalanche yet. The Particle beam was a great help clearing out the Husks by just cutting off their legs.

metaghost on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

How much random crap do you need to have done to have the Cain at that point? Because I hadn't even unlocked the Avalanche yet. The Particle beam was a great help clearing out the Husks by just cutting off their legs.

If it's an imported ME2 save, he already has it.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Cain is unlocked at three HW upgrades, right? Freedom's Progress, Omega, Zaeed's loyalty (paragon).

Elendil on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Cain is unlocked at three HW upgrades, right? Freedom's Progress, Omega, Zaeed's loyalty (paragon).

Yep, so basically the lesson here kids is that if you want to cheese the husks on horizon, don't kill vido santiago!

envoy1 on
    edited January 2011
    envoy1 wrote: »

Yep, so basically the lesson here kids is that if you want to cheese the husks on horizon, don't kill vido santiago!

the husks ain't the issue. nuking both scions in one blast is. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I played Horizon on Normal recently.

It was kind of weird, not having to stay in cover permanently, instead just rolling around in the open, outstrafing Shockwave and just walking up to both Scions with a shotgun. I had never ever seen that they do a close range aoe when you get close to them before that.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    envoy1 wrote: »

the husks ain't the issue. nuking both scions in one blast is. :P

I meant scions! Damn borderlands/steam sale. I haven't touched ME2 for a couple of months now.

envoy1 on
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A simple question about the PS3 release of ME2:
    Other than the six big decisions that we know are to be made in the intro comic, will all of the other decisions follow the same track as the pc/360 default?

Can anyone point me to a list of what these are?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of the intro comic, someone managed to put it up on Youtube in a pair of videos. For those that care, this the Male-Shep version (assuming that hopefully they made a Fem-Shep version as well). Good to see that romancing is one of the important decisions you can make with it.

Owenashi on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cojones wrote: »
    A simple question about the PS3 release of ME2:
    Other than the six big decisions that we know are to be made in the intro comic, will all of the other decisions follow the same track as the pc/360 default?

Can anyone point me to a list of what these are?

Shepard avoided every side quest and romanced nobody. So basically no/didnotdo to all of these:
    Achievements:
    - Rich Yes/No

Random:
    - Full Paragon/Renegade bar
    - Paragon/Renegade points
    - Childhood choice Spacer/Earthborn/Colonist
    - Reputation choice Sole Survivor/War Hero/Ruthless
    -?Quartermaster licenses all elkoss

Party Members:
    - Garrus recruited Yes/No
    - Wrex recruited Yes/No
    - Garrus is Paragon/Renegade
    - Tali side quest done Yes/No
    - Romanced someone Yes/No
    - Romanced Ashley/Kaidan/Liara

Citadel:
    - Dr. Chloe Michel blackmailer Killed/Persuaded
    - Asari Consort sidequest done Yes/No
    - Asari Consort sexytime Yes/No
    - Interview outcome Refused to do interview/Punch out/Apologize
    - Had first conversation with The Fan (Conrad Verner) Yes/No
    - The Fan last conversation outcome Paragon(Stay at home)/Renegade(Threaten)
    - Harkin talked to Yes/No (tied in to Garrus recruitment)
    - Accepted quest from Chorban to scan Keepers Yes/No
    - Number of Keepers scanned
    - Jahleed quest outcome (Chorban) Scared off/Killed
    - Fist outcome Let go/Killed
    - Old Friends quest (Earthborn background ONLY), talked to Finch Yes/No
    - Old Friends quest (Earthborn background ONLY), Finch killed Yes/No
    - Talked to your mom after talking to Lieutenant Zabaleta Yes/No (Spacer background ONLY, Citadel: Old, Unhappy, Far-Off Things)
    - Citadel: I Remember Me (Colonist background ONLY), Talitha talked down from killing herself Yes/No
    -?Possibly a 2nd check for Citadel: I Remember Me present, whether you Forced/Convinced Talitha to take the sedative
    - Citadel: Homecoming Body returned to Samesh Yes/No
    -?105a "And 105a might be relating to whether or not you gave Schnells the Salarian gambler his data or gave it to the bartender." OR Citadel: Reporter's Request Handed over data to the reporter Yes/No.

Feros:
    -?The company man (Ethan Jeong, ExoGeni Corporation representative) outcome good/good+ (outcomes listed here http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Ethan_Jeong, not sure which is which)
    - Number of colonists killed
    - Colony outcome Good+/Good/Fail/Renegade
    - Possessed Asari (Shiala(Thorian plant)) Freed/Killed

Noveria:
    - Gianna Helped(evidence handed over)/Betrayed/Evidence handed over to Lorik
    - Han Olar talked to Yes/No
    - Rachni Queen released Yes/No

Virmire:
    - Wrex killed by player/killed by Ashley/killed by Ashley without permission
    - Geth Flyers disabled Yes/No (Captain Kirrahe saved or not)
    - Psyrana dead Yes/No (Asari assistant in one of the labs let go or not inside the facility)
    - Rescued Ashley/Kaidan

Endgame
    - Old Council Saved/Killed
    - Choice for new council Anderson/Udina
    - Game complete Yes/No

Sidequests:
    - UNC:Hostile Takeover Accepted Money/Persuaded to disband gang
    - Know about Slaver Asari quest Yes/No
    - Slaver Asari quest outcome (Killed Sister) Yes/No
    -?UNC: Lost Module, unsure what is actually tracked here. "unc:module says easter egg so I assume it means the silver sphere you find on that planet that has 3 pages of text http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Eletania#The_Vision"
    -?UNC: Cerberus Heard of Cerberus Yes/No (ie did you do UNC: Missing Marines leading to this quest or not.
    -?UNC: Hades' Dogs Cerberus files found. Not sure what is tracked, probably if you returned them or gave to the Shadow Broker.
    - UNC: Hostage Chairman died Yes/No
    - UNC: Hostage Biotics Surrendered/Killed
    - UNC: Dead Scientists Killed Scientist/Convinced Corporal Toombs to lower weapon

DLC (Bring Down the Sky):

- Humans rescued Yes/No

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's pretty cool...surprised they make you choose the romance so fast, but the comic is pretty small.

Dragkonias on
    edited January 2011
    i am amused that Shepard calls Kaidan a "good kid" even though Alenko is older

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah...I caught that too...

Also caught Bioware retconning Tali's audio tape...

Dragkonias on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shepard seems the type to call everyone "kid", really.

Except maybe Zaeed.

chiasaur11 on
    edited January 2011
    three maybe significant things stood out:

1. Harbinger shows up in Shepard's vision. Does that make him the official leader of the reapers?

2. Feros totally glossed over. I guess the Thorian won't be important.

3. No mention of Sovereign's ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL of Saren. Did the Alliance/Council fleet legitimately take him down then, with no help from his paralysis?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png