Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

2 million [Mass Effect Thread]'s in the first day

15758596062

Posts

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    I'm worried guys, my collection of "cute" ME pictures is starting to overtake my weird an disturbing ones D:

    I saw a bit of fanart of Jack getting a piggy-back ride from Zaheed, with Zaheed beginning one of his gruesome stories, and Jack relishing it.

    And everyone else staring at them. It was brilliant.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    I'm worried guys, my collection of "cute" ME pictures is starting to overtake my weird an disturbing ones D:

    I saw a bit of fanart of Jack getting a piggy-back ride from Zaheed, with Zaheed beginning one of his gruesome stories, and Jack relishing it.

    And everyone else staring at them. It was brilliant.

    Link. I must see possibly the greatest thing ever.

    electricitylikesme on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If Zaheed, Jack, and Kasumi aren't a pirate crew in ME3, I will only buy twelve copies.

    CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dead pirates, assuming they're all dead

    Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    renegade shep should have had the option to take jack up on her offer of turning pirate

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know, a Jack game should be the Force Unleashed with sexy voiced space pirates.

    CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey now, don't consign Kasumi to death by being in Zaeed's squad. She needs to stay on the Normandy, where she belongs.

    Stalking Jacob.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that, and the Geth were space-Vikings for years. The Quarians are disliked because they root through garbage, particularly garbage that's not theirs.

    Like Tal mentioned, the geth hadn't been heard about past the Perseus Veil until Eden Prime. Even if they had, though, my point was the only reason anyone hates the geth is because they hate this tiny fragment that they assume represents all of them (and which no longer exists) and they don't know about the cool, hippie geth, whereas people hate the quarians because their entire species is rooting around people's garbage.

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To be fair, it's a bit of a retcon. Before legion, there was never any indication that the geth were anything other than a hostile machine race.

    Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You mean beyond the fact that none of them left the veil 'till Sovs, or the fact they recorded that quarian song and were obviously worshipping the Reapers.

    CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey now, don't consign Kasumi to death by being in Zaeed's squad. She needs to stay on the Normandy, where she belongs.

    Stalking Jacob.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that, and the Geth were space-Vikings for years. The Quarians are disliked because they root through garbage, particularly garbage that's not theirs.

    Like Tal mentioned, the geth hadn't been heard about past the Perseus Veil until Eden Prime. Even if they had, though, my point was the only reason anyone hates the geth is because they hate this tiny fragment that they assume represents all of them (and which no longer exists) and they don't know about the cool, hippie geth, whereas people hate the quarians because their entire species is rooting around people's garbage.

    well, those cool, hippie geth are the reason the quarian species was reduced to rooting around people's garbage. that and general council stupidity.

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey now, don't consign Kasumi to death by being in Zaeed's squad. She needs to stay on the Normandy, where she belongs.

    Stalking Jacob.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that, and the Geth were space-Vikings for years. The Quarians are disliked because they root through garbage, particularly garbage that's not theirs.

    Like Tal mentioned, the geth hadn't been heard about past the Perseus Veil until Eden Prime. Even if they had, though, my point was the only reason anyone hates the geth is because they hate this tiny fragment that they assume represents all of them (and which no longer exists) and they don't know about the cool, hippie geth, whereas people hate the quarians because their entire species is rooting around people's garbage.

    well, those cool, hippie geth are the reason the quarian species was reduced to rooting around people's garbage. that and general council stupidity.

    This has been discussed to death in the SE++ ME2 thread but quite frankly the Qurians have no one to blame but themselves for losing their homeworld.

    The Qurians first response to their slave labour force becoming sentient was attempted genocide.

    Karl on
    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well, those cool, hippie geth are the reason the quarian species was reduced to rooting around people's garbage. that and general council stupidity.

    Quarians were really the reason for that. Genocide isn't good and the Geth aren't good for that reason alone...but that war was genocide VS genocide, you can't blame the Geth for winning.

    And Quarians did not exactly consult the Council before attempting to genocide their slave force.

    DarkCrawler on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Karl wrote: »
    Hey now, don't consign Kasumi to death by being in Zaeed's squad. She needs to stay on the Normandy, where she belongs.

    Stalking Jacob.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that, and the Geth were space-Vikings for years. The Quarians are disliked because they root through garbage, particularly garbage that's not theirs.

    Like Tal mentioned, the geth hadn't been heard about past the Perseus Veil until Eden Prime. Even if they had, though, my point was the only reason anyone hates the geth is because they hate this tiny fragment that they assume represents all of them (and which no longer exists) and they don't know about the cool, hippie geth, whereas people hate the quarians because their entire species is rooting around people's garbage.

    well, those cool, hippie geth are the reason the quarian species was reduced to rooting around people's garbage. that and general council stupidity.

    This has been discussed to death in the SE++ ME2 thread but quite frankly the Qurians have no one to blame but themselves for losing their homeworld.

    The Qurians first response to their slave labour force becoming sentient was attempted genocide.

    that argument's just treating geth like organics. you can turn a geth on and off with no harm done; the same can't be said about organic life. see: cerberus' horrendously expensive efforts to resurrect shepard

    couple that fact with the massively disproportionate response that the geth displayed in nearly eliminating the quarian race, and the geth start to look like immense bastards

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, but if you turn them off with the intention to then disassemble them, that's not the same as just flicking a light off and on.

    Quarians tried to murder them, they murdered right back.

    NO DISASSEMBLE NUMBER FIVE!

    moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    that argument's just treating geth like organics. you can turn a geth on and off with no harm done; the same can't be said about organic life. see: cerberus' horrendously expensive efforts to resurrect shepard

    couple that fact with the massively disproportionate response that the geth displayed in nearly eliminating the quarian race, and the geth start to look like immense bastards

    Quarians weren't planning on turning the geth off and then turn them on later. They treated them like a malevolent AI program, so they wanted to erase them and return them to what they were before. They were planning to eradicate an entire new budding sentient species like nothing.

    And again, answering genocide with genocide isn't a disproportionate response, it's just an equally bad one.

    DarkCrawler on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the geth ARE nothing without being networked. it's not some threshold of intelligence, some critical mass that suddenly puts them in a higher tax bracket named "sentience". they don't depend on some quantum computer like a real AI. they don't "die" like an AI will if copied.

    geth sentience does not have the same value as organic sentience. neither does geth life. don't believe me? ask the geth!

    EDIT: who's making the new thread?

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey now, don't consign Kasumi to death by being in Zaeed's squad. She needs to stay on the Normandy, where she belongs.

    Stalking Jacob.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that, and the Geth were space-Vikings for years. The Quarians are disliked because they root through garbage, particularly garbage that's not theirs.

    Like Tal mentioned, the geth hadn't been heard about past the Perseus Veil until Eden Prime. Even if they had, though, my point was the only reason anyone hates the geth is because they hate this tiny fragment that they assume represents all of them (and which no longer exists) and they don't know about the cool, hippie geth, whereas people hate the quarians because their entire species is rooting around people's garbage.

    well, those cool, hippie geth are the reason the quarian species was reduced to rooting around people's garbage. that and general council stupidity.

    The fact that the whole galaxy hates the Geth (well, perhaps sans Shepard, assuming you weren't cruel enough to sell Legion to Cerberus), pretty much demonstrates that no one gives a shit about the hippie-Geth. They need to get off their hippie butts and address the fact that the 5% of their species that the Galaxy cares about were psychotic religious fanatics who went around murdering people for the worse possible reasons--seduced by Citadel's Most Wanted, Saren, or by the Reapers.

    Seriously, it's a problem. And ME2 repeatedly demonstrates it--unfortunately for Legion. This may qualify as ironic--a Geth who is one of the non-murderous fanatic majority is treated as if he were part of the fanatic minority even as he is considering their destruction. I honestly think the Geth are banking on the whole "fuck organics, disappear into the void" option, if it weren't for the Reaper threat.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Saying that once the geth reach sentience it's not murder if you separate them up first is like saying it's not murder if you lobotomize someone before incinerating the lobes. The quarians saw their own designs had sentience too late and were like, "fuuuuuuuuck" and stupidly tried to destroy them instead of approaching them peacefully and starting to replace them with non-sentient slavebots.

    GG, quarians.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The fact that the whole galaxy hates the Geth (well, perhaps sans Shepard, assuming you weren't cruel enough to sell Legion to Cerberus), pretty much demonstrates that no one gives a ship about the hippie-Geth.

    Because no one knows they exist! I'm not saying people's assumptions are wrong for what they know, since they know nothing of them, but they're still wrong, albeit unwittingly.

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The fact that the whole galaxy hates the Geth (well, perhaps sans Shepard, assuming you weren't cruel enough to sell Legion to Cerberus), pretty much demonstrates that no one gives a ship about the hippie-Geth.

    Because no one knows they exist! I'm not saying people's assumptions are wrong for what they know, since they know nothing of them, but they're still wrong, albeit unwittingly.

    I never said they weren't wrong (though they're right about that fanatic murderous minority). And if the majority decides to clam up and hide from the rest of the universe, the minority might as well be the majority. People don't give a shit about the Geth, you think they're going to care about the nuances of their internal debate or philosophy?

    Not really. And the heretic Geth are still, fundamentally, Geth--Legion acknowledged this. Putting aside that they're less numerous (because all their neighbors, including the other Geth, decided to kill almost all of them), they're not "irrelevant" to the state of Geth affairs. Even if the Geth wanted to--which they seriously don't seem to, as far as I can tell--they can't just go "Hey guys! We know we kind of got off on the wrong foot, but we're actually really cool dudes! Nachos and beer at our planet!" and expect it to work like that.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Saying that once the geth reach sentience it's not murder if you separate them up first is like saying it's not murder if you lobotomize someone before incinerating the lobes. The quarians saw their own designs had sentience too late and were like, "fuuuuuuuuck" and stupidly tried to destroy them instead of approaching them peacefully and starting to replace them with non-sentient slavebots.

    GG, quarians.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The fact that the whole galaxy hates the Geth (well, perhaps sans Shepard, assuming you weren't cruel enough to sell Legion to Cerberus), pretty much demonstrates that no one gives a ship about the hippie-Geth.

    Because no one knows they exist! I'm not saying people's assumptions are wrong for what they know, since they know nothing of them, but they're still wrong, albeit unwittingly.

    Look, the rest of the galaxy don't believe in th Reapers either. You can't blame them for making assumptions, even if the assumptions are wrong.

    Its just another thing that i'll get to rub in everyones faces when Reapers turn up and have to deal with Shepard and his team of superfriends (which at this point has got to be the a united Krogan army, the Rachni, the Geth and if they can get their fucking act together the Qurians).

    Karl on
    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Saying that once the geth reach sentience it's not murder if you separate them up first is like saying it's not murder if you lobotomize someone before incinerating the lobes.

    again, geth sentience ≠ organic sentience. geth separate themselves all the goddamn time. the average geth mobile unit has the intelligence of a cow. legion is an exception, not the rule.

    but anyway, we've all had this debate before, so i'll leave it alone for now.

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Karl wrote: »
    Saying that once the geth reach sentience it's not murder if you separate them up first is like saying it's not murder if you lobotomize someone before incinerating the lobes. The quarians saw their own designs had sentience too late and were like, "fuuuuuuuuck" and stupidly tried to destroy them instead of approaching them peacefully and starting to replace them with non-sentient slavebots.

    GG, quarians.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    The fact that the whole galaxy hates the Geth (well, perhaps sans Shepard, assuming you weren't cruel enough to sell Legion to Cerberus), pretty much demonstrates that no one gives a ship about the hippie-Geth.

    Because no one knows they exist! I'm not saying people's assumptions are wrong for what they know, since they know nothing of them, but they're still wrong, albeit unwittingly.

    Look, the rest of the galaxy don't believe in th Reapers either. You can't blame them for making assumptions, even if the assumptions are wrong.

    Its just another thing that i'll get to rub in everyones faces when Reapers turn up and have to deal with Shepard and his team of superfriends (which at this point has got to be the a united Krogan army, the Rachni, the Geth and if they can get their fucking act together the Qurians).

    I seriously doubt you're going to get your precious Geth Army, regardless of Shepard's decision in ME2 (I would like to see the statistics on that--given that reprogramming is the Paragon option, I think, I assume it would be more common). It's possible, but it's equally possible that the non-fanatic Geth will continue to do their best clam impression. One thing that made the heretics heretics was their willingness to involve themselves in the affairs (and deaths) of organics. The rest of the Geth are quite orthodox and very shy...there's a decent chance that's not going to change (though if it did, it could happen in an abrupt few hours, courtesy of Legion's debates).

    On the bright side, personally, I'll take Legion himself (or themselves) over a Geth Army. He's actually interesting, unlike a bunch of faceless automatons that look like the bunch of faceless automatons I spent a few weeks massacring. He's capable of rudimentary facial expressions. Suck on that, wannabe machines.

    Not sure about the Rachni either. I think a Krogan Army will exist, albeit a small one that is united in part because of its smallness (won't stop its effectiveness, though). Not optimistic about the Quarians either.

    We'll just have to wait and see.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never said they should (care about philosophy)?

    I honestly don't know what you're arguing about. I don't see the point in saying the universe doesn't care about X when the only reason for that is that they're wholly ignorant of X. I'm not suggesting instead the reintroduction of the geth to society or whatever - this thing about opinions on geth is just a tangent. The seed was that I said there aren't any murderous geth post-ME2 and it's not "still happening," and that only the quarians are still keeping on with that hatred thing, so the hatred of geth (from player viewpoint) is not more rational than Ashley distrusting aliens for recent history like the original quote said, especially since the geth were absent for three centuries and weren't raiding or anything.
    again, geth sentience ≠ organic sentience. geth separate themselves all the goddamn time. the average geth mobile unit has the intelligence of a cow. legion is an exception, not the rule.

    Which still changes exactly nothing about wiping out the entirety of their sentience as an entity. Genocide = genocide.

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So a group of religious extremists makes everyone hate the entire race, and are especially hated by a people long in diaspora?

    Why, that almost sounds familiar.

    CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well the asari on Illium straight up tells you that because you saved the queen (i'm assuming you didn't give her an acid bath in ME1) that the Rachni will be there to help you.

    I'd be surprised if the geth don't help. They rejected the reaper's offer for aid and the reaper's pose a threat to their continued existence/creation of their dyson sphere.

    Karl on
    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hah, geth sympathizers

    don't you remember when they snuck into quarian homes at night to murder children in their sleep

    -Tal on
    2vue7ao.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    hah, geth sympathizers

    don't you remember when they snuck into quarian homes at night to murder children in their sleep

    Ah, this takes me back.

    Dragkonias on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    With pitchforks!

    Monstrous.
    So a group of religious extremists makes everyone hate the entire race, and are especially hated by a people long in diaspora?

    Why, that almost sounds familiar.

    Whoah, whoah there. We already have our space Jews. We can't be mixing our historical metaphors, this is a videogame!

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never said they should (care about philosophy)?

    I honestly don't know what you're arguing about. I don't see the point in saying the universe doesn't care about X when the only reason for that is that they're wholly ignorant of X. I'm not suggesting instead the reintroduction of the geth to society or whatever - this thing about opinions on geth is just a tangent. The seed was that I said there aren't any murderous geth post-ME2 and it's not "still happening," and that only the quarians are still keeping on with that hatred thing, so the hatred of geth (from player viewpoint) is not more rational than Ashley distrusting aliens for recent history like the original quote said, especially since the geth were absent for three centuries and weren't raiding or anything.

    Well, that's where you're wrong. It's not just the Quarians. It's all the survivors of Geth attacks. It's the Council itself, and its constituents. It's the body of organic beings in the galaxy who actually have an opinion on the Geth (outside of humans, and perhaps including them, a large majority may not feel one way or another). People are not exactly lining up to defend the Geth that aren't murderous fanatics.

    It's not about rationality, it's about how people behave and continue to behave. The Geth during their absence were effectively non-existent. People are a lot more interested in their non-absence, when they went around killing people and sticking them on spikes, and you can guess why. I'm sure there are people pointing out the disparity between decades of seclusion and suddenly going on a murderous rampage, but they're going to be drowned out by survivors telling stories of the Geth sticking people on spikes. In a decade, it might be a different story--or it might not.

    Legion pleading his case to the Council demonstrates two parts of this--first, that the Council's leaders weren't hoping for the Geth to actually be nice guys, and were quite happy killing them wherever they showed up (turn about is fair play), and that Legion, perhaps the best-perpared Geth in the universe to plead his species' case, still couldn't be sufficiently convincing.

    How people view of think of the Geth isn't a tangent, it's the whole basis of this--especially since the Geth have no easy way to offer a differing opinion.
    So a group of religious extremists makes everyone hate the entire race, and are especially hated by a people long in diaspora?

    Why, that almost sounds familiar.

    I'm guessing it didn't end with everyone coming together, holding hands, and singing "Kumbaya"?
    Karl wrote: »
    Well the asari on Illium straight up tells you that because you saved the queen (i'm assuming you didn't give her an acid bath in ME1) that the Rachni will be there to help you.

    I'd be surprised if the geth don't help. They rejected the reaper's offer for aid and the reaper's pose a threat to their continued existence/creation of their dyson sphere.

    The Rachni I think--and this is just my own theory--are going to offer some sort of infrastructure support, since they seem to be remarkable builders and artisans. Perhaps creating something comparable to a Reaper. I don't think it's going to an actual land army like the kind everyone is gushing about, because the Rachni Queen seemed quite intent on escaping the fate of her kind being doomed to serve as warrior slaves. But again, just a theory.

    Plus, Bioware could just totally forget or ignore the whole issue.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    I'm worried guys, my collection of "cute" ME pictures is starting to overtake my weird an disturbing ones D:

    I saw a bit of fanart of Jack getting a piggy-back ride from Zaheed, with Zaheed beginning one of his gruesome stories, and Jack relishing it.

    And everyone else staring at them. It was brilliant.

    You know what was mildly disappointing?

    Whenever Grunt began a gruesome story, you didn't get enough options for "You think that's great?" and launching into your own enemies list or laughing and promising to passing it on.

    But it was nice how often Shepard could toss her own stories into the pool. Talking to the gun store guy about how she was going to hunt slavers, pirates, and geth, telling the Shaman you were going godhunting, even talking about how stupid most people on the ship were regarding tech with the Saronis applications guy while Garrus nodded.

    I liked that guy a lot, thinking about it. Nice to have someone recognize and properly appreciate Shepard.

    chiasaur11 on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    2183? Why don't they just give you a slide rule and ask you to eyeball it?

    -Tal on
    2vue7ao.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, that's where you're wrong. It's not just the Quarians. It's all the survivors of Geth attacks.

    ...

    How people view of think of the Geth isn't a tangent, it's the whole basis of this--especially since the Geth have no easy way to offer a differing opinion.
    the hatred of geth (from player viewpoint)

    This discussion here about galactic opinions on geth was the tangent. The player knows better, so broad arguments about whether the hatred of geth is so much more rational than Ashley's xenophobia don't need to account for the views of the non-Shepard masses.

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The hippie geth are assholes because even after Sovereign revealed himself, they stayed in isolation and made absolutely no effort to warn or prepare the rest of the galaxy

    not even a "oh shit guys, about 5% of our population went nuts and are going to attack you soon, watch out"

    -Tal on
    2vue7ao.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    moocow wrote: »
    yeah, but if you turn them off with the intention to then disassemble them, that's not the same as just flicking a light off and on.

    Quarians tried to murder them, they murdered right back.

    NO DISASSEMBLE NUMBER FIVE!

    Jut remember the all important advice of Malcolm Reynolds: If someone tries to kill you, try and kill them right back.

    I bet the Rachni end up building a fleet of warships in secret for Wrex's Krogan forces. Finally, the bitter foes from the Rachni war will learn to live together in peace. Also the Krogan fleet arrives just in time to save the Turians.

    jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This discussion here about galactic opinions on geth was the tangent. The player knows better, so broad arguments about whether the hatred of geth is so much more rational than Ashley's xenophobia don't need to account for the views of the non-Shepard masses.

    I don't know about you, SoundsPlush, but I'm personally more interested in the 99.9% of the galaxy that isn't Shepard, and I've already acknowledge that she knows better. There's an actual discussion to be had there, besides "Shepard thinks Legion's an okay bloke" or "Shepard sold Legion to Cerberus to pay for an armor upgrade and a weekend at a spa".

    Once Shepard becomes the hive-mind for the whole galaxy, then I'll switch my interest. As of ME2, Shepard was still trying to convince people she wasn't a Cerberus puppet, and that Saren wasn't calling the shots.
    -Tal wrote: »
    The hippie geth are assholes because even after Sovereign revealed himself, they stayed in isolation and made absolutely no effort to warn or prepare the rest of the galaxy

    not even a "oh shit guys, about 5% of our population went nuts and are going to attack you soon, watch out"

    Well, to be fair, the Geth really hate leaving their "head in the sand" state--and given the Morning War, and the option to be self-sufficient, I can't really blame them. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have fully dedicated themselves to stopping the heretics even if 50% of their species sided with Sovereign. Plus, they appear to respect dissenting opinions to a large degree.

    Ah, top't at 100.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sure, but the original thing you were responding to me about was a completely different subject and was all about the player's viewpoint.

    From the galactic viewpoint, geth are murderous assholes, a justified view by what they know, like I said. I don't know what else there is to say about that since the cool geth are happy to just let organic society forget about them and go hide in their tree fort after they give back the quarians their Eden. If Shepard convinces them to help organics out meanwhile, she shouldn't have any trouble berating the leaders of the alien fleets to shut up and deal with it so Shepard can get to killing the reapers.

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sure, but the original thing you were responding to me about was a completely different subject and was all about the player's viewpoint.

    From the galactic viewpoint, geth are murderous assholes, a justified view by what they know, like I said. I don't know what else there is to say about that since the cool geth are happy to just let organic society forget about them and go hide in their tree fort after they give back the quarians their Eden. If Shepard convinces them to help organics out meanwhile, she shouldn't have any trouble berating the leaders of the alien fleets to shut up and deal with it so Shepard can get to killing the reapers.

    Ah, my fault then. I was more interested in the issue of the Geth being reintegrated into normal life, which was brought up in the past (and others steered the issue to, if it wasn't already about that). Not a lot of room on how Shepard feels.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The problem with the nice Geth?

    They are too nice. They don't go after the rogue Geth because, you know, your buddy Steve thinks ACDC rules, and you listen to a mixtape and don't see the appeal, so he leaves in a huff?

    You don't go off and murder Steve. You shrug and wish him the best with his love of ACDC and go on with your life.

    Which turns out to be a bad idea when Steve forms an ACDC cult and pledges to kill the unbelievers, but there was no reason to see it coming from your prospective.

    chiasaur11 on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

    Which still changes exactly nothing about wiping out the entirety of their sentience as an entity. Genocide = genocide.

    it's not a duality if the species in question doesn't have on/off sentience, but instead ranges from cow-like to genius.

    the whole concept of the value of organic life is based on the asymmetry of death. in most cases, it's irreversible and represents a gigantic loss.

    that doesn't apply to the geth; there is no defined geth "sentience", only a nebulous varying gestalt presence that's a function of the network. that's why legion himself has no qualms "killing" his own people. even he says they're just programs.

    that's not to say that the geth back then thought the same. i believe that legion's rather clinical view is the result of a lot of geth navel-gazing. and let's remember the reason quarians got into AI research in the first place: trying to preserve the personalities, presences, and "souls" of their ancestors. i'm sure the initial geth were colored quite strongly by organic concepts such as death and souls.

    TL;DR: the geth of the morning war thought like organics and killed like organics; the geth of today think like synthetics and are quite embarrassed at all the slaughter they did

    curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plus, they're not dead if they can be uploaded; just that platform happens to have been destroyed.

    They'll route around it, no worries.

    Orca on
    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
Sign In or Register to comment.