Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Best Sub-$1000 DSLR?

davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User
edited December 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
The title says it all. I'm looking for a camera in that range. Nikon, Canon — any brand, really. I've currently got an Olympus EP-2, but I'm considering taking it back if I can find a better camera for the price. i find the screen to be a bit grainy (especially in low light conditions), but it does have a pretty awesome digital viewfinder that makes up for that.

davidbarry.jpg
davidbarry on

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are you looking for just the body sub $1k, or body + lens?

I'm a Canon girl myself, but I ultimately decided by picking up as many DSLRs as I could find and going with the brand that fit my hands best. I would suggest, for sake of used lens availability, that you stick with Canon or Nikon but you may find that Pentax or Sony or something else fits your needs better.

I found Digital Camera Reviews to be very helpful narrowing the field, and ultimately bought my gear used from KEH. Buying used allowed me to get more camera for my buck and the customer service at KEH is really fantastic so I didn't worry about getting a crap product like you might on eBay or other auction site.

Usagi on
  • embrikembrik Registered User
    edited December 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Are you looking for just the body sub $1k, or body + lens?

This is important.

I can't recommend enough the Nikon D90, which Amazon is selling for sub-1000 w/ the kit 18-105 lens. I've been incredibly happy with the camera. For the money, it's a fantastic setup.

However, as Usagi mentioned, it's really helpful to head to some stores and pick up the cameras to see which one(s) you like shooting with and feel best to you. For me, the Nikon fit like a glove, but I know that's not the case for everyone.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nikon D90, Pentax K-7 or Canon D300s are all solid choices for around that price.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]