2011 PAX PRIME

2456

Posts

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Passes don't have people's names on them. So, you can buy a pass and give it to anybody you want. If you're within the US, passes are mailed to you (up until a certain date). Internationally, you can either have passes sent via FedEx for an extra fee, or pick them up at will call the day before/day of PAX.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • IDS3RemixIDS3Remix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @Moe: Thank you for the clarification! Sounds like everything will work out, so now I'm looking forward to Prime even more now. Thanks! :)

    IDS3Remix on
  • taksertakser Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    hmwsgx wrote: »
    *Do you get to choose your hotel or is it basically first come first serve?
    For example, I go to GenCon Indy every year and I use their hotel registration system. With their system as soon as they open reservations all of their hotels surrounding their convention are filled within a half hour. Then you have to frantically search for other rooms so you don't end up all the way across town. The only way you can get the hotel you really want is to pay extra money for a "Very Important Gamer" pass and you'll get to choose your hotel early, plus you're guaranteed one of your top 3 hotel choices. Is this similar to how the registration works?

    As an aside - not sure if you realize or not, but Gen Con's Passkey system has been entirely upgraded this year. No more of the "top three choices" hassle. While I'm sure most of the connected or even remotely close locations are already booked, it was as simple as logging in, choosing your exact room in your exact hotel and reserving instantly. No wait-list (although that is still available due to the simple fact that hotels sold out), but the fear factor of not getting a room in your preferred hotel was pretty much nonexistent.

    As for PAX, it's been my experience with conventions that it's always better to go through a convention's hotel registration process if they offer bargains. Sure, something like Hotels.com can get you a room in a "three-star hotel" for under $100, but you won't know where you're staying until you've already been charged, and by then it's too late. As for Expedia... well, coming from someone who's been to my fair share of conventions (Gen Con, E3, CES, PAX, etc.) - I wouldn't even bother looking for hotel rooms. Maybe there's something I'm missing - some secret area of deals, but if it's not a flight, Expedia isn't even on my radar.

    takser on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To answer some more on the hotel question:

    Hotel registration opens right about the same time as passes go on sale, maybe shortly after. Through the registration system you can look at all the hotels participating with the PAX group rate, and who have rooms left, and make your choice as to which one you want to book with. the rates aren't identical at them all, but many folks have their preferences even if it costs a little more. If i recall correctly though, they tend to all be within $10-20/night of each other. Also, some offer the discount for the week, and some just for the Thurs through Sat/Sun time period, so you can pick which one fits to your plans. No one gets any special consideration for booking, when it opens it opens to everyone and it take about as long for the rooms to go as it does the passes. On that note, it's the same as passes, get them both early so you don't have to worry and have all the choices available you want.

    Even with the registration system, you can still call the hotel yourself and simply ask them for the PAX rate. If you have 7 people I would recommend using that method and getting two adjacent/adjoined rooms. It will be much more comfortable for everyone, especially if you have anyone else come hang with you.... and considering luggage and swag. I've also seen some people book through the travel discount sites and get better rates, but they know how to work with those systems intimately so i wouldn't recommend that.

    Steel Fire on
  • hmwsgxhmwsgx Registered User
    edited February 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    They'll have group of hotels available to choose from that will have discounted PAX rates.
    No wait list, but you can always try to book directly at the hotel at their normal rates.
    Think all of the PAX hotel rooms max out at quad occupancy. If you need more, probably have to book with hotel and not at PAX rate.
    Easy enough. Register, pick hotel, pick dates, enter billing, done.
    Well that seems easy enough then! :)
    takser wrote: »

    As an aside - not sure if you realize or not, but Gen Con's Passkey system has been entirely upgraded this year. No more of the "top three choices" hassle. While I'm sure most of the connected or even remotely close locations are already booked, it was as simple as logging in, choosing your exact room in your exact hotel and reserving instantly. No wait-list (although that is still available due to the simple fact that hotels sold out), but the fear factor of not getting a room in your preferred hotel was pretty much nonexistent.

    As for PAX, it's been my experience with conventions that it's always better to go through a convention's hotel registration process if they offer bargains. Sure, something like Hotels.com can get you a room in a "three-star hotel" for under $100, but you won't know where you're staying until you've already been charged, and by then it's too late. As for Expedia... well, coming from someone who's been to my fair share of conventions (Gen Con, E3, CES, PAX, etc.) - I wouldn't even bother looking for hotel rooms. Maybe there's something I'm missing - some secret area of deals, but if it's not a flight, Expedia isn't even on my radar.

    Ah! This was the very first year I wasn't able to register the hotel due to work, so I didn't realize the three choices design was dropped. We didn't do VIG, and the person who booked the hotel had some bizarre issue with booking the Westin Wednesday through Sunday (Thursday was completely unavailable for some reason) so we had to choose another hotel. This was one of my worries with PAX since it will be our first year and my whole group has never been to Seattle. Also, our costumes will be kind of unruly...
    Thanks for replying, and clarifying the new Gencon hotel system.

    Steel Fire wrote: »
    To answer some more on the hotel question:

    Hotel registration opens right about the same time as passes go on sale, maybe shortly after. Through the registration system you can look at all the hotels participating with the PAX group rate, and who have rooms left, and make your choice as to which one you want to book with. the rates aren't identical at them all, but many folks have their preferences even if it costs a little more. If i recall correctly though, they tend to all be within $10-20/night of each other. Also, some offer the discount for the week, and some just for the Thurs through Sat/Sun time period, so you can pick which one fits to your plans. No one gets any special consideration for booking, when it opens it opens to everyone and it take about as long for the rooms to go as it does the passes. On that note, it's the same as passes, get them both early so you don't have to worry and have all the choices available you want.

    Even with the registration system, you can still call the hotel yourself and simply ask them for the PAX rate. If you have 7 people I would recommend using that method and getting two adjacent/adjoined rooms. It will be much more comfortable for everyone, especially if you have anyone else come hang with you.... and considering luggage and swag. I've also seen some people book through the travel discount sites and get better rates, but they know how to work with those systems intimately so i wouldn't recommend that.

    Thanks, Steel! Its good to know the registration opens the same time/close to the passes. Less stress on my end! And I'd definitely book early--I'm too much of a worrier to wait it out.
    I love that they have the discounts for the week. We're planning to stay about Thurs- Sun. Now, when the hotel registration opens is there any hotel that sells out immediately? I've done some research and we'd like either the Sheraton or Roosevelt hotel. I don't know if they're included in the PAX registration but they seemed to be the closest (as far as I could tell) and I'm concerned about how fast the rooms sell out.

    Yeah, I think if we end up as a group of 7 I'd like to get two rooms. We have costumes we're bringing along and 3 of the people are pretty big guys. The group isn't fond of paying more for an extra room but I'm insisting on either a 2nd room or a large suite that can hold 6-7 people.

    Thanks for the replies!

    hmwsgx on
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *Bump* Hey guys, If anyone is looking to fly in from Boston. Right now Airtran has a flight thats only 340 something round trip. They also have a bill me later option. I just booked my flight and I'm going to prime! = D

    ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • frobearfrobear Registered User
    edited February 2011
    hmwsgx wrote: »
    Thanks, Steel! Its good to know the registration opens the same time/close to the passes. Less stress on my end! And I'd definitely book early--I'm too much of a worrier to wait it out.
    I love that they have the discounts for the week. We're planning to stay about Thurs- Sun. Now, when the hotel registration opens is there any hotel that sells out immediately? I've done some research and we'd like either the Sheraton or Roosevelt hotel. I don't know if they're included in the PAX registration but they seemed to be the closest (as far as I could tell) and I'm concerned about how fast the rooms sell out.


    They won't sell out in five minutes or anything, but I'd still book as soon as possible after they become available. Every year I've gone the hotel (Sheraton at least) will allow you to cancel your reservation with no fee until about three days before the event, so if you reserve rooms way in advance and your plans change you can back out. Still, it doesn't hurt to make sure everyone in your party commits up front.

    The Sheraton's been an awesome place to stay for the last three years, and it is directly across the street from the convention hall. Price per night has been about $160-175.

    frobear on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so long as i get my hands on a 3-day pass it's all good!

    will the PA guys release a date to get the passes?

    thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There will be an announcement on the front page when they go on sale, probably within a month after PAX East.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Hi PAXers!

    I'm planning a grand trip across the Atlantic from the UK to visit PAX (Prime) 2011 this coming summer in Seattle. I've never been to PAX before (I've always wanted to go), so this will be a realisation of some 6-7 years hoping, saving, more hoping, and some more saving.

    I'm guessing that after 7 years of PAX, there's a pretty standard list of 'things you should know' by now. I'm planning on picking up the 3-day pass when preorders become available, and am planning my flights etc. to allow me a good few days before / after the event to (a) get over the jet lag and (b) have some time to do some sightseeing / moseying around Seattle (hey, it's a holiday after all!).

    I'm curious to know if there's anybody else on here who's been out to PAX from the UK, and their thoughts and experiences with the whole shebang. Did you have any problems? Were there things you wished you'd known about before you went out there?

    I'm not a stranger to the U.S. by any means - but I've only been to Washington (NJ), New York and North Carolina, so Seattle will be another completely new place for me to take in.

    Also, if there's anybody from the UK planning on going to PAX Prime this year - do you know of any travel groups etc. that band together when heading out? (i.e. safety in numbers?). I don't really want to do the trip on my own, but I'm probably the only one of my friends that can afford the ludicrous cost of hauling my butt over the atlantic and accomodating myself somewhere for the week, and I've been known to make such trips on my own in desperation before!

    I can't begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to this. I truly hope it'll be a treasured memory, and hopefully the first of many to come.

    I Hope to hear from some of you soon!

    PixelPrime on
  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I've just had a look through this thread, and a lot of people seem to recommend the Sheraton? Seems like a nice hotel, a bit pricey though, perhaps?

    Much as I like comfort and convenience in a hotel, is this really the 'optimal' choice for accomodation? I guess you're paying for the proxmity to the convention. Does anyone have any recommendations on alternative hotels in the near vicinity based on previous experiences?

    I'm not massively fussed over hotel facilities beyond WiFi access, I'll likely be wanting to call my wife every night on Skype :D

    PixelPrime on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I'm a big fan of the Hilton Homewood Suites. Full kitchen, separate bedroom and living space, some rooms have a balcony, free shuttle rides to the grocery store (to stock said kitchen) and the PAX rate is comparable to the other hotels, like the Sheraton (who's rooms are TINY). A bunch of us stayed there last year and had a blast.

    The Homewood is also up the hill from the convention center, but immediately adjacent to Freeway Park (which you can cut through to get to/from PAX).

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the advice :)

    It looks like excitement has already formulated my decision. I've booked myself into the Sheraton for the nights of 25th-28th (inclusive). To be honest, $1000 is a lot of money for a hotel imo, but I guess as I said you're paying for the convenience and location.

    I really wanted to have a good day either side to explore Seattle a little - but I guess I'll just have to settle for an early-arrival / late departure flight and make the most of my jet-lagged abilities whilst I can :)

    So I guess that's the most expensive part done! Now I just need to book some flights and I'm sorted :D Can't believe I'm actually going to do this finally!

    PixelPrime on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ummm PAX will come out with their own hotel rates in a couple months in the $170-90/night range.. You'll save A LOT of money if you wait to book your hotel.

    SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    ummm PAX will come out with their own hotel rates in a couple months in the $170-90/night range.. You'll save A LOT of money if you wait to book your hotel.

    I had a look back through the forums before I booked up the hotel - I knew that they'd come out with some special rates - but unfortunately I'm not in a position where money will be particularly 'freely' available within the coming months, so I had to act quickly to get something arranged.

    Such is the burden, sometimes :)

    PixelPrime on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm did you pay in advance too? because with the pax rate, you don't pay until you check out (though they do put hold +deposit) on your CC

    SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • zezspecszezspecs Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PixelPrime wrote: »
    I'm curious to know if there's anybody else on here who's been out to PAX from the UK, and their thoughts and experiences with the whole shebang. Did you have any problems? Were there things you wished you'd known about before you went out there?

    I'm not a stranger to the U.S. by any means - but I've only been to Washington (NJ), New York and North Carolina, so Seattle will be another completely new place for me to take in.

    Also, if there's anybody from the UK planning on going to PAX Prime this year - do you know of any travel groups etc. that band together when heading out? (i.e. safety in numbers?). I don't really want to do the trip on my own, but I'm probably the only one of my friends that can afford the ludicrous cost of hauling my butt over the atlantic and accomodating myself somewhere for the week, and I've been known to make such trips on my own in desperation before!

    Usually there's an international traveller's guide that gets posted, and that should explain most of what you need to know for coming to PAX from outside the US, though I think it's usually biased towards people coming from the UK. I have no idea if anyone does specific travel groups, but I would recommend joining the PAX UK Facebook group to talk to other PAXers in the UK, and maybe you can try to set something up. If anything else, it's a great way to meet other UK PAXers.

    zezspecs on
  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Hmmm did you pay in advance too? because with the pax rate, you don't pay until you check out (though they do put hold +deposit) on your CC

    I couldn't see any charges on my card yet, no. I got a $220 rate in the end, so I'm not too displeased with the ultimate loss in saving since I'm only staying for 4 nights. I'm just happy to get a reservation; I'd be gutted to not be able to finally get over the Atlantic to PAX. Been a long time coming :)

    PixelPrime on
  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    zezspecs wrote: »
    Usually there's an international traveller's guide that gets posted, and that should explain most of what you need to know for coming to PAX from outside the US, though I think it's usually biased towards people coming from the UK. I have no idea if anyone does specific travel groups, but I would recommend joining the PAX UK Facebook group to talk to other PAXers in the UK, and maybe you can try to set something up. If anything else, it's a great way to meet other UK PAXers.

    This is fantastic, thanks so much for providing this info! I had no idea the breadth of visitors from overseas was so prolific! :)

    PixelPrime on
  • jagerboltjagerbolt Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Hey all, first time PAX goer here. I also looked at the website and had a sadface when I saw all the badges sold out, hah! But glad that isn't the case. Thanks for the hotel info also posted, very helpful.

    Looking forward to this!

    jagerbolt on
    d89dcff329912a4f.png
  • heyhiheyheyhihey Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I'm also planning on going for my first time, but in researching hotel/flight rates I ran into a little problem. I wanted to know what day is most recommended to check out of your hotel? Do you usually check out the last day of PAX (the 28th) or do you take an extra night and just check out the next day (the 29th)? If you do check out the last day of the convention, what time does PAX actually end because don't hotels usually want you out by noon? So if you only stay until the last day of PAX, what do you do with all of your luggage since you are forced to checkout before the convention ends? Sorry if the question is a little confusing, I understand I didn't word it in the best way.

    heyhihey on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Leaving Monday very much preferred. You'll probably be exhausted by the time PAX ends, which is not a very fun way to start a probably red-eye flight out of Seattle. Plus, there's afterparties. Take in as much PAX as you can.

    Also, any hotel that won't hold your bags after you check out is no hotel you want to stay in.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I went out on Monday and that was one of my best decisions. After 3 days of PAX, I had no energy left. Give your body an extra night of rest as a present for completing PAX.

    NeuralLink on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We have thought about leaving that Monday for more rest, however, the best thing we did is come in to Seattle on Thursday. Having the Monday might give you a bit of a rest but it is Seattle. So much to do.

    hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

    http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PixelPrimePixelPrime Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I had a feeling that was going to be the case. I'm glad I booked the Sheraton for Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday nights. That last night will definately be welcome after what I'm sure will be a mammoth 3 days. I'm hoping to get into Seattle early Thursday morning too so I can see some of the sights.

    Don't want to waste a 4781 mile trip :D

    PixelPrime on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You may have already booked at the Sheraton, but you still have options. When registration goes live,it would be worth your while to check out all the hotel rates and decide then if you want to book somewhere else. You'll be well far enough ahead of the trip that you can always cancel at the Sheraton without incurring any charges.

    At that point, if you decide you still want to stay at the Sheraton, then it would be worthwhile to call them directly and explain you booked early because you were traveling internationally and would like to get the PAX rate. if they aren't agreeable to that, then cancel and book someplace else at the PAX rate. The $40-50/night savings won't be something you want to just give up.

    Steel Fire on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oooh, I just can't wait for these forums to start turning "blue" again.

    First year, we stayed about 3 blocks away. Second year, spent more and stayed at the Sheraton. Totally worth it. It was great to be able to jet back to the room to dump SWAG, and/or not carry EVERYTHING you might need for the whole day. I think I may have even sneaked in a short nap.

    Coming with a much bigger running crew this year. First year, just us. Second year, added a friend. This year.... Us, three other couples and said friend from last year. Woo!

    akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • SirJohnBearSirJohnBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know if Pax Prime sold out last year, and how soon they sold out before the show if they did?

    SirJohnBear on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, about a month before.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SirJohnBearSirJohnBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Yes, about a month before.


    Alright, better make sure I get my tickets early for this one. I'd hate to have another Pax East situation on my hands.

    SirJohnBear on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty certain Prime always sells out. Well, at least the three years I've been it has.

    PAX is so amazing. I think it reminds me of high school pep rallies. Except WE'RE ALL THE NERDY KID. And it's the best.

    Best score of PAX last year was a WoW ccg loot card me and my buddy I brought won. He sold it on ebay and so both of our 3-days this year are payed for. You know, just in case you aren't pumped enough for PAX, free does, in fact, make it better.

    Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Can not waitttt for prime. Everytime I pass the convention center I cry inside... tear stained pillows.

    Sarahstrasza on
  • jamesmc874jamesmc874 Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, I'm just curious as to who I would speak with or what the process would be to get my friends a chance to play a show at the Pax Prime 2011. They are an entirely Geek band and even go so far as to having a sweet song dedicated just for the Firefly / Serenity series! These guys have great stuff and told me that they'd love to play at PAX here in Seattle this year.

    Any info would help.

    Thank you everyone!

    jamesmc874 on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    To my understanding, the guys at PA seek out and choose the bands they want to play at PAX personally. As far as I'm aware, there is no submission for consideration when it comes to the musical guests.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • jamesmc874jamesmc874 Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Is there even a general email box I could shoot them a link at? This is a small, relatively unknown band out of Florida so it's hard to imagine them having seen them on their own.

    Thanks for the info though!

    jamesmc874 on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    questions can always be sent to pax_questions at paxsite.com but don't expect a quick reply right as everyone is in the lead up to PAX east.

    SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • kinja20kinja20 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, I have a quick question, this is my 3rd PAX, 2009 I got a ride from my brother and last year I took the bus all three days, the bus was pretty fun dont get me wrong but I want a hotel. I`m bringing about 5 or six of my friends and I was wondering if I could have them help me with the payment and if I could even book a hotel myself because of the fact that I`m 16 so yeah..

    kinja20 on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At 16 I doubt you can book the hotel yourself. If you have a credit card to make the reservation with (and ultimately pay for it), maybe... but somehow I would have my doubts that they would allow a minor to take on that responsibility. You'll ultimately have to check with the hotel though, which would be something you could do now by calling them.

    As for your friends helping with the payment, you'll need to have them pay you their share so that you can then pay the credit card bill.

    Steel Fire on
  • DunagoDunago Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I've wanted to go to PAX since like...I knew it existed and I'm an avid reader of PA and watcher of their little show but this is the first year I've actually thought that going could be a possibility since now I'm 18 and have ways to get money. I don't know if this is easily figured out but what would be like an estimated price range for going to PAX? Not including like a plane ticket or gas money or whatever to get there. Like Hotel, Passes. Also what generally do you want to bring to PAX? (Sorry if any of this shouldn't be discussed here new to the PA forums)

    Dunago on
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Me and my son will be making our first trip to PAX in August and I was wondering how the PC tournaments work, specifically the team-based games I play: TF2 and MNC. Do gaming communities enter teams wholesale? Is there a clearinghouse for players from odd communities to meet up?

    Also, do you have to pre-reg for the tournaments? For TF2 are you allowed to log into your Steam account on the freeplay computers to get access to your loadout? Should you bring your own PC instead? Am I overthinking this? O_o

    WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    rx9e87jbbz0w.png

This discussion has been closed.