As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The biggest thing that bugs me with SA2 is Shadow Sonic. Seriously, wtf was all that about?

It's a shame that they didn't start SA1 with stuff like Sonic Colors. Imagine what'll we have now after that many years of developing that line of gameplay?

Shadow! It's just Shadow.

Man, if you didn't like Shadow, you must hate Silver. XD

I quite like Shadow. He makes a better rival than Knuckles. Not as good as Metal Sonic though. :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Never realized just how thoughtful the lyrics for 'Escape from the City' is.

Rolling around at the speed of sound

• Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular

Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options

Can't stick around got to keep moving on.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular

Can't stick around got to keep moving on.

Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out!

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Holy hell.

Those Stardust Speedway screens are just... wow. It's like Sega's just gone into "awesome mode" and has simply decided to make what may very well be the game that brings the Sonic series back to life.

I mean, after this, they'll have to remake the original series just like this- because this will sell a million copies easy, and remakes would be essentially Sega printing money and brteathing new life back into Sonic Team for more awesome titles.

Hell, I'd settle for a redone Sonic Spinball.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    VIDEO of Chemical Plant Zone

Holy shit

that music

• Options
    Incidentally, that CPZ Video is from the german dub of the game - they're dubbing the game for every language. That is awesome!

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    oh my god @ that

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Ugh everything looks amazing. The truck is hilariously dedicated.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I don't like how muddled the lighting in Chemical Plant Zone is. The backgrounds look good, but the original stage's foregrounds were bright and sterile-looking, so this feels totally different.

And the classic Sonic remix of the City Escape music fucking sucks. It's horrible.

Other than that, everything is incredibly amazing.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Oh lord that was amazing. Also good to see those red rings in the levels, this game gives a very strong Colours vibe. Hope you're right about what the Sonic Simulator equivalent is TSR, because that'd be perfect.

Only thing I'm missing is anything like colours powers - do we have anything like the sheild powers from sonic 3 at least?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Classic Sonic's City Escape is catchy as fuck. Don't know how to feel about Modern Sonic's yet.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
  • Options
    plufim wrote:
    Oh lord that was amazing. Also good to see those red rings in the levels, this game gives a very strong Colours vibe. Hope you're right about what the Sonic Simulator equivalent is TSR, because that'd be perfect.

Only thing I'm missing is anything like colours powers - do we have anything like the sheild powers from sonic 3 at least?

The elemental shields are in the game, all of them. The fire shield, the water shield, and the lightning shield. And they work just like in sonic 3 - the water shield can breath underwater and bounce back bullets and has a super bounce, the fire shield can protect from flame and lets you do a flaming forward dash in the air, and the electric shield protects against electricity and attracts rings, while also letting you double jump.

Most think the wisps are gonna be in as well.

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    HNNNNNG CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE I NEED IT RIGHT NOW AAAGH

actually had to pull out my sonic mega collection PLUS disc and play it earlier fuck I can't wait for this to come out

• Options
    plufim wrote:

The elemental shields are in the game, all of them. The fire shield, the water shield, and the lightning shield. And they work just like in sonic 3 - the water shield can breath underwater and bounce back bullets and has a super bounce, the fire shield can protect from flame and lets you do a flaming forward dash in the air, and the electric shield protects against electricity and attracts rings, while also letting you double jump.

Most think the wisps are gonna be in as well.

This pleases me. Hopefully they keep the wisp mechanic of gradually unlocking them to encourage backtracking to find all the red coins. Perhaps they'll do that for the shields as well, its a neat way of opening up levels for further exploration.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are power-ups going to be based on the origin games? So, elemental shields in Sonic 3 stages, wisps in Colors and so forth?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I was figuring shields for classic sonic, wisps for new sonic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    I don't think Chemical Plant could actually ever be any better than that, both classic and modern are totally spot-on.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder, is that placeholder music for Classic Sonic's Chemical Plant? It sounds identical to the actual Chemical Plant MIDI. While I don't want it to stray too far from the original, I'd like a little bit of arrangement, a remastering as it were.

The tiny amount of the low fi Modern Chemical Plant we heard? I approve. More of that, please.

I think the Classic era is solid, and it'd be hard to screw up the Modern era. The one I'm paying most attention to is the Adventure era; that will require the most work, as there's no copy pasting for either Sonic there. In terms of music though, seems Modern Sonic gets close-to-original music in the Adventure era, while Classic gets the remixes. Kinda unfair, when it's neither of their eras. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    The modern Chemical Plant music sounded like something from 80's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, or Konami games.

I mean that in an awesome way!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    I wonder, is that placeholder music for Classic Sonic's Chemical Plant? It sounds identical to the actual Chemical Plant MIDI.

For some reason I thought the snare drum sounded a bit meatier, but now I'm not sure

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Mr Bubbles wrote:
    I wonder, is that placeholder music for Classic Sonic's Chemical Plant? It sounds identical to the actual Chemical Plant MIDI.

For some reason I thought the snare drum sounded a bit meatier, but now I'm not sure

No, you're right. The snare part is new. Its actually slightly arranged. The newer one has a shorter repetition, the snares, more background instruments during the tune change at the 40 second mark in the video, etc. It isn't an exact copy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So Modern Sonic can't jump infinitely underwater like in Colors. Hrmm.

edzepp on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I'm loving almost everything from that video except for the constant "uh-oh, pink water is coming!" sounds in Classic. It seems like it could get annoying really fast.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    You know I really hope this sells a billion and Sega realizes this is all anyone ever wanted. They have enough levels from games that we can get generations 2, 3, 4...and ill be happy.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    Wooo the Red Rings from Colours are back! So glad about that, looking for them was a really enjoyable part of Colours for me.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    After hearing the Modern version of City Escape... I actually prefer the autotune synthpop Classic version. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD CITY ESCAPE REMAKE

I literally cried tears of joy

SA2 was my first Sonic game, and City Escape was the clearest memory in my head of Sonic games

I still remember the GC demo booth at Target

• Options
    hi5 anti

• Options
    Sonic 2 was my first Sonic game. As beautiful as Generation's Chemical Plant is, I have nothing but bad memories of that god damn stage. XD

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    agreed regarding Chemical plant
    I got the Sonic Anniversary collection for Gamecube

I am so bad at old video games.

• Options
    I don't get how any one can not like CPZ. It is, in my opinion, by far the best zone in Sonic 2. Best music, best layout, best gimmick (I love megamack, I don't get how anyone could find those floating staircase sections difficult).

I cannot wait to play the new version of it.

• Options
    I was 4 when I first played it. Those staircases presented a challenge. :/

My favourite stage from Sonic 2 is Mystic Mine. I think a large part of it is the music.

And the flashing badniks. Those things fascinated me.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I was 4 when I first played it. Those staircases presented a challenge. :/

My favourite stage from Sonic 2 is Mystic Mine. I think a large part of it is the music.

And the flashing badniks. Those things fascinated me.

Mystic Caves

The staircases in CPZ are pretty easy if you just take your time, and wait for them to line up along the walls. If you do that, you can use the walls as a safety net and then just fling yourself hard in that direction. Actually, the star case sections in Sonic Generations look much more difficult because they're free floating, not along any walls.

• Options
    Right! Mystic Caves. It has been a while. :P

Oh, and Metropolis. Cause Sonic 2 was my first, the idea of a zone randomly having 3 acts really confused me.

Then I got Sonic 1 and 3 ACTS EVERYWHERE!

Fondest memories of Sonic 2... the challenges Megatech magazine had. They'd print stuff like "clear Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in 30 seconds" and I'd think it was impossible, my best times sitting around 50.

I think my best, in recent years, was like 27 seconds. Oh how I would laugh at my younger self.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    on a similar note to this one: fuck aquatic ruins in its watery asshole fuck fuck fuck it took me three game overs to get to the boss with one life left and I ran out of rings RAAARGH FUCK EVERYTHING

that was the first time I had died in that entire playthrough!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    4 year old me, having beaten Chemical Plant for the first time: "YAY! No more drowning!"

Aquatic Ruin

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    The farthest I usually got in Sonic 2 was Mystic Cave. I remember the first day I ever got to Oil Ocean.. Somehow I got completely lost in the level and ended up running out of time on my last life.

I used to pour over the instruction manual, looking at badniks and reading descriptions of levels I would never see until sometime in my teens. I was so bad at video games, but I was content to just play the first two levels (or sometimes just the first level) of something over and over again. I wish I still had that sort of patience/enjoyment. Now I usually get bored of something the first time I get to a really hard part.

soempty.jpg