As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• Options
    Not0KNot0K Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    This guy is porting Sonic Unleashed levels to Sonic Generations (PC):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRJqKyIcE0

EDIT: He's also working on a level editor.

Not0K on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Igort wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Wonder why the silence? Trying to keep expectations low? Stung by Generations' low sales?

Did Generations sell badly? I thought it sold about as they expected.
    The month it came out it hit maybe 25th on the console game charts, which is much, much worse than other Sonic games did.

I've heard it's managed to get some surprisingly decent revenue on Steam, though it's largely due to some steep sales.
    The Steam version launched at literally half the price of the console versions, and was the superior version. So it sold briskly for the first few weeks.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Igort wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Wonder why the silence? Trying to keep expectations low? Stung by Generations' low sales?

Did Generations sell badly? I thought it sold about as they expected.
    The month it came out it hit maybe 25th on the console game charts, which is much, much worse than other Sonic games did.

I've heard it's managed to get some surprisingly decent revenue on Steam, though it's largely due to some steep sales.
    The Steam version launched at literally half the price of the console versions, and was the superior version. So it sold briskly for the first few weeks.

It's also been a featured game on Steam for a really long time, even without sales.

Also, the level remake is pretty damn cool :o

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    finally got a decent sub-1:30 time on speed highway classic, ranked 14th

now to get lower, 1:16 is doable but insane here is a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgEoXQSQruQ

• Options
    and then you see what the top 10 times are, all hacked 0:00

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Past a certain unreasonable time (IE YOURS BEASTEH! >:/ ) leaderboards should require proof submission.

An unrealistic dream, but one I cling to.

Good going btw Beasteh. I just reformatted, gonna be doing a full LP of Generations soon I think. :3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote:
    "Rolling around at the speed of sound, I got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow..."

Sonic Adventure 2 and the song is called City Escape (same as the level). The original artist for the song was actually brought back for the Generations remix.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    lordlundar wrote:
    AnakinOU wrote:
    "Rolling around at the speed of sound, I got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow..."

Sonic Adventure 2 and the song is called City Escape (same as the level). The original artist for the song was actually brought back for the Generations remix.

It's actually 'Escape From the City'

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    lordlundar wrote:
    AnakinOU wrote:

It's actually 'Escape From the City'

Also, the song was written by Jun Senoue, who's been writing Sonic music since Sonic 3, so he wasn't really "brought back" for Generations. The two guys who helped Jun out by singing on it, Ted Poley and Tony Harnell have also done a few songs for Sonic since, including "We Can" from Sonic Heroes, and "Race To Win" for Sonic Rivals 2, but I guess you could technically include them in being "brought back" .

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Do we have a thread for Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games? I'm guessing not, but that's what I'm playing now for review.

Wii one's not bad, for the most part, but I'm looking forward to the Adventure Mode in the 3DS game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZh7QPKsgI

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Demo was fun, can't wait for the 3DS version.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    I've started playing this as part of my Steam backlog reduction operation. The first level of every zone so far is awesome! But the second level of every zone is garbage. Are there any mods that transform the 3d levels into more 2d levels out there yet?

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Garbage?

Is it the controls, the gameplay or the level design? I think the level designs for both Classic and Modern are really good, but the Modern controls are a little too stiff and hard to manage for actual platforming.

How far are you, anyway? If you really hate the 3D levels, you can suffer through them and then play the extra missions as Classic Sonic. Most of those are good (some are horrible, some are amazing) and there are five of them for each zone.

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    I do not like the modern gameplay. The lock on attacks, the f-zero over the shoulder sequences where you use the bumpers to steer etc are just horrible. I am not too far in yet but like you said I will suffer through the 3d to get to more 2d. The 2d is awesome, the entire thing should have been more of that.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote:
    Are there any mods that transform the 3d levels into more 2d levels out there yet?

I'd also like to know about this, and the reverse. Somebody hacked the demo to do this and it actually worked pretty ok.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Rhiley wrote:
    I do not like the modern gameplay. The lock on attacks, the f-zero over the shoulder sequences where you use the bumpers to steer etc are just horrible. I am not too far in yet but like you said I will suffer through the 3d to get to more 2d. The 2d is awesome, the entire thing should have been more of that.

Sounds like you'd most likely prefer the 3DS version.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote:

I felt the same way too, by the time I got through to about the fourth 3D level I was really starting to dig it. I still preferred the 2D but something clicked and I enjoyed the modern levels.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I've dug the modern Sonic gameplay since it debuted in Unleashed. I thought unleashed was awesome, and colors was, by design a better game, but a step back in terms of visuals and level design.

Sonic Generations knocked it out of the ballpark for me. I felt like the modern Sonic stages were finally branching enough to the point where you can play a level many times and see completely different routes. They get more branching as the game goes along. I never had any problem getting used to the controls, but mainly because I started with Unleashed, which had a good learning curve that sort of eased you into the top speed.

I hope they keep with this formula and keep improving upon it. Maybe throw in knuckles or tails, and make their gameplay fundamentally the same as Sonic's, only with different powers, which lead to different routes? I'd dig that.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I would go for that, Generations has finally renewed an interest in modern Sonic for me.

Though I would really like it if they continued making classic sonic games, for xbla/psn/steam etc. Scrap Sonic 4 and just give me more Generations style classic Sonic please.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Rami wrote:
    I would go for that, Generations has finally renewed an interest in modern Sonic for me.

Though I would really like it if they continued making classic sonic games, for xbla/psn/steam etc. Scrap Sonic 4 and just give me more Generations style classic Sonic please.

That's what Sonic 4 is ultimately going to become, though. A lot of signs point to them switching over to the Sonic Generations 3DS engine, which was even closer to the originals than the console versions. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gIgIh7v8s

At this point, I think it's pretty clear that both the classic and modern playstyles are going to continue in their own series. The art they've been releasing for Sonic 4 episode 2 has looked great - all completely original designs. I was reading that the success of Sonic 4 episode 1 really caught sega off guard, and the as a result episode 2 is being given a much higher budget and a longer dev cycle.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I haven't played a Sonic game since back when they threw Knuckles into the series, but Generations was a completely awesome blast. Just a top-notch stellar game all around. I've beaten the game, but I know for a fact I will be revisiting it frequently in order to get better times and do everything it has to offer.

More of the same of Generations and I'll play the series pretty much forever. Great combination of exploration and speed.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I hope they bring back the Colors walljump and water jump in future games.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    generations is up there as one of my fav games in the series along with 3+knuckles and cd

Beasteh on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Generations made the 3d gameplay click for me, and the 2d stuff was right up there with how I remember sonic 2 fondly.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Just started playing this on Steam, it looks gorgeous and plays great. So glad this doesn't seem to have any of that were beast crap.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    1:24:27 on speed highway clasic now 8-)

god my hand is killing me

i seriously doubt any of the times on this board below 1:15 are legit, at all

• Options
    Screenshots of Sonic 4 Episode 2

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/SONIC-4-Episode-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111f2?cid=search

Of particular interest; holy shit they weren't kidding about Sonic CD being important to this one, that appears to be...
    Little Planet in the background. :O

I was trying my damndest not to get too excited for this after Sonic 4, but yeah, I am looking forward to it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    screenlg2.jpg

And with this picture a couple dozen erotic fanfics were born.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you meant this picture.
    screenlg4.jpg

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Eurgh.

But yeah, check dat Little Planet! :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It's not ugly anymore!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I see no one has mentioned the online coop yet :D

I have been trying to post those photos since early today. Fuck work.

• Options
    Also, Ice-water-carnival stage is an interesting mashup of tropes. There's been water in ice stages, and water in carnival stages, but never a carnival stage and ice stage meshed together.

I hope the boss is a throwback to Sunset Hill Zone.

• Options
    YiAm3.jpg

nononononononononononono

• Options
    reserving any/all opinion of sonic 4 episode 2 until i see the physics/level design

because, you know, dimps

• Options
    Beasteh wrote:
    reserving any/all opinion of sonic 4 episode 2 until i see the physics/level design

because, you know, dimps

Interestingly enough, the Xbox Live leak this stuff comes from lists Sega as the developer, not Dimps.

• Options
    consider my interest slowly becoming aroused

• Options
    i guess they were surprised by the success of generations and decided to put way more effort into sonic 4

• Options
    Beasteh wrote:
    i guess they were surprised by the success of generations and decided to put way more effort into sonic 4

It was the success of Sonic 4 that lead to this. That game sold very well, and it caught Sega off guard. Way back when this episode was first announced, they said it was going to have a much larger budget and a longer dev time. Seems true enough.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Happy to see actual 3D graphics this time, but it still doesn't look very good. Co-op moves sound dumb, but maybe that's just because Sonic Heroes was so bad.

...I'm still interested, though. I have a completely unwarranted level of optimism about this game.

I guess we're also getting a sequel to Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing this year? That's probably more exciting to me, because I love the first one.