As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    If they bring the time travel mechanic back for this game, I hope they streamline it to just past and present.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Generations didn't/isn't getting any new level or music DLC right?

I was heartbroken when the instrumental versions of Reach for the Stars and Endless Possibilities from each games respective final boss were not unlockable :(

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    More new screenshots:

6887163509_bc0a3c54de_b.jpg

6887166551_ef2c547a4b_b.jpg

6887166069_c3f370dfe2_b.jpg

Also, gameplay trailer next week

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I don't understand why SEGA isn't churning out new stages as DLC for Generations.
    I would pay multiple € per single stage without even thinking about it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Oops, didn't post them all:

6887164943_37974c8f5f_z.jpg

6887161961_c17909af21_z.jpg

6887160379_0991a1f50c_z.jpg

6887158873_5830199d15_z.jpg

6887157299_7ee0bc54e7_z.jpg

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    I don't understand why SEGA isn't churning out new stages as DLC for Generations.

I know! And music to! I'd pay for music as well. SEGA TAKE MY MONEY! I'm begging you!

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Klyka wrote:
    Honestly, I would too. I mean, what DLC DID we get? A pinball minigame. Is that REALLY it? I mean, Generations is a rather short game. I would LOVE more levels. There are so many memorable levels in the series, that I really wish we had gotten more than ONE per game. SA 1 has things like emerald coast (Which actually IS in the DS version, aparently).

Plus, we don't get a stage where we're on one of eggman's carriers. Maybe sky deck, Though, when I think about it, Egg fleet from heroes might be more impressive.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    It's me or those running animation frames look less "forced"/"awkward" than in Episode 1.

g0OFz.jpg

Don't know how to explain it. It's something about Sonic's body position but I like them more.

HiT BiT wrote:
    It's me or those running animation frames look less "forced"/"awkward" than in Episode 1.

g0OFz.jpg

Don't know how to explain it. It's something about Sonic's body position but I like them more.
    It's because his head is forward, like he's leaning forward, which is how people run. The old animation made it look like he was leaning back while he ran.

Also, the spinning leg effect is literally the original 2D animation overlayed as a transparency over the model, while in episode 1 it was this blur thing that didn't look the same.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think I am one of the few that liked Episode 1.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I tend to shit on Episode 1 whenever it's mentioned. But I gotta admit, my first time through I had fun with it. I think it was for the wrong reasons though, I was thinking "huh, this is cool, it's just like that bit in Sonic 2..." rather than "huh, this is cool, it's all new."

The level themes being shown off in these Episode 2 shots are pretty exciting because they're fresh, rather than retreads.

Oh brilliant
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I liked it as well. Was it better than the classics? Nope, but it was fun all the while.

Fun enough that I ended up buying it on three separate platforms. Bought it initially on Wii, bought it on 360 when it was on sale for the hell of it/Avatar Awards, bought it on iPhone because...well it was when I was new to the iPhone and I was young and foolish and thought playing games on the thing would be a worthwhile venture.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I liked it as well. Was it better than the classics? Nope, but it was fun all the while.

Fun enough that I ended up buying it on three separate platforms. Bought it initially on Wii, bought it on 360 when it was on sale for the hell of it/Avatar Awards, bought it on iPhone because...well it was when I was new to the iPhone and I was young and foolish and thought playing games on the thing would be a worthwhile venture.

...says the person with the ridiculously high Jetpack Joyride score. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Rorus Raz wrote:

You've got company

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Episode 1 was fine. Just fine. FINE.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i just hated how you needed momentum to build up speed

but the instant you let go of the direction you were travelling you lost all that momentum

it was awful

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jumping was very much the same--as soon as you let off the direction you were holding, you'd just stop moving and fall straight down. That's so not Sonic it hurts me. Like, physically. I had to wonder how no one involved in the development of said game made this realization at any point during its production. Did they just never play the originals?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    The option in Generations to let you pick the music as you played through stages was amazing. I had "Open Your Heart" as the stage music for 50% of my gameplay.

Jumping was very much the same--as soon as you let off the direction you were holding, you'd just stop moving and fall straight down. That's so not Sonic it hurts me. Like, physically. I had to wonder how no one involved in the development of said game made this realization at any point during its production. Did they just never play the originals?

That happened because the fanbase kept shrieking "I don't want to automatically run! Speed must be earned! Momentum momentum momentum!" and the developers shrugged and gave them what they wanted.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They have some non-Newtonian idea of momentum.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    And now, with one leaked image from the upcoming Disney animated movie Wreck-It Ralph (centered on video game characters), I will make TSR buy a ticket.

bowser_eggman_disney.jpg?w=584

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    You should buy a ticket regardless. Sounds like a fun movie to watch.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That Episode 2 picture interests me because it looks closer to the 2d levels of Generations than any of the Dimps shit.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I didn't know that movie was going to use real game characters

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote:
    I didn't know that movie was going to use real game characters

Given the sheer volume of new stuff created for the movie, neither did anyone else until that leak.

cloudeagle wrote:
    And now, with one leaked image from the upcoming Disney animated movie Wreck-It Ralph (centered on video game characters), I will make TSR buy a ticket.

bowser_eggman_disney.jpg?w=584

I haven't seen a movie in years. I refuse to support the MPAA.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I get the feeling that Sonic Team hasn't played the Genesis games-- either ever, or just in a very long time. Either way, it feels more like they watched a video of someone playing, and made Sonic 4 off of that; like they based it purely on what was seen, rather than what was felt.

And have since tweaked things like in Sonic Generations, where they've received input on what was wrong with the way Sonic 4 felt/worked. And they've gotten closer, but aren't quite there yet...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    So tomorrow a gameplay trailer for Sonic 4 episode 2 will be released. I have it on good authority that it's aimed at shocking those who didn't like Sonic 4 episode 1's physics, in the same way that Sonic 4 episode 2's graphics shocked those who hated the look of Sonic 4 episode 1.

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    I hope so, I wanted to like Episode 1 so much, but barely played it before I just stopped playing...

This new one looks better already.

I like that this thread keeps popping up, reminds me I need to get generations, loved both demos for that.

fragglefart.jpg
    I hope so, I wanted to like Episode 1 so much, but barely played it before I just stopped playing...

This new one looks better already.

I like that this thread keeps popping up, reminds me I need to get generations, loved both demos for that.

FWIW, I liked Episode 1 quite a bit. I'm very much looking to episode 2, though. everything about it seems better in general. Including the ideas being tossed around... Dr. Robotnik creating a little-planet powered, time traveling death egg? That would have blown my fucking mind as a kid.

found my cousins game gear with sonic triple trouble, i had no idea that was released over here

game is pretty cool

god that looks fucking awful

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Looks alright.

I don't think it looks as good as they were hyping it up to be. It's hard to tell though because they didn't show too much consecutive footage, if that makes any sense.

Taxman just spoke of the trailer. Uncurling is gone and rolling inertia is correct in the new Sonic 4.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Hype achieved. The game looks much better in motion while still keeping its own style.

PNk1Ml4.png
    In case no one was paying attention, Sega also announced Jet Set Radio HD for XBLA and PSN along with this trailer.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dang. I was going to try to wait a few months for the inevitable Sonic Birthday PSN sale to save a few dollars, but that trailer isn't making it easy to resist.

Edit: No PC logo at the end? That's a bummer.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    In case no one was paying attention, Sega also announced Jet Set Radio HD for XBLA and PSN along with this trailer.

Just saw that. Hype set to max.

EDIT: Jet Set Teaser here.

Igort on