As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of the Year 2010 Poll [VOTE HERE]

• GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, this poll just reminds me that I really didn't play a lot of games this year. Like, at all.

Anyway.

1 - Fallout: New Vegas
    2 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (it was really hard to pick between New Vegas and this for #1, but I've just put so many hours in Fallout...)
    3 - Mass Effect 2
    4 - Starcraft 2

Graviija on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deadly Premonition, Alpha Protocol, and Amnesia took the top spots for me. I voted for some other stuff, but those are the really important ones for me.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I hope that makes sense.
    It sure didn't.

Chronocide on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God this fucking sucks

I got a ton of the games on this list for Christmas and my birthday and I just haven't had the time to play them all! Castlevania and Super Street Fighter are just sitting over there! How can I truly know what the game of the year is without oh who am I kidding it's Red Dead Redemption

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Debated between Deadly Premonition and Mass Effect 2 for the top spot, but DP needs more recognition, ME2 is sure to be near the top of the charts.

DarkPrimus on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You basically just said "Mass Effect 2 is more popular than StarCraft II"

Which is pretty much correct

In non-Korea, anyways

Yeah, but I also meant that, among people who like Starcraft 2, it'd be almost universally given that SC2 is better than ME2, even if they like both, but ME2 has wider appeal and so is more popular.

Dhalphir on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Debated between Deadly Premonition and Mass Effect 2 for the top spot, but DP needs more recognition, ME2 is sure to be near the top of the charts.

I don't understand this

You are supposed to vote for which game is your game of the year, not to fuck up percentiles

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People who say "oh i won't vote for <X popular game> because it will get enough votes anyway" are fucking stupid and should just not bother participating at all. fuck off you silly gooses.

The end.

Dhalphir on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

I don't understand this

You are supposed to vote for which game is your game of the year, not to fuck up percentiles

I wouldn't have put it so near the top if I didn't think it deserved the spot, I just had trouble deciding which was my #1. Mass Effect 2 was #2.

I had several choices for top 10 that some people would find "questionable", based solely on hearsay. The gentleman who traded in Alan Wake on the previous page because he heard bad things about it, for example. It was my choice for #6.

DarkPrimus on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks! You voted for:
    Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    Halo Reach (360)
    Minecraft (PC*)
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World (360*,PS3*)
    Starcraft 2 (PC)
    Limbo (360*)
    Final Fantasy 13 (360,PS3)
    God of War 3 (PS3)
    Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)
    Rock Band 3 (360,PS3,Wii)
    Cut the Rope (iPhone)
    Infinity Blade (iPhone)
    Angry Birds (Android,iPhone,mobile)
    Monday Night Combat (360*,PC)
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (360*,iPhone,PC*,PS3*)
    Blur (360,PC,PS3)
    Game Dev Story (Android,iPhone)
    Robot Unicorn Attack (iPhone,Flash)

Scott Pilgrim is up that high mostly due to the dlc/patch that was just released for the 360, now the game is no longer impossibly hard on the easiest difficultly. Everything else pretty much just lined itself up from there

ronzo on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seriously don't know what the hell took that patch so long to show up on XBLA

PS3 had it for months

UnbreakableVow on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks! You voted for:
    1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
    2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS)
    3. Starcraft 2 (PC)
    4. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
    5. Endless Ocean 2: Blue World (Wii)
    6. Metroid: Other M (Wii)
    7. Monster Hunter Tri (Wii)
    8. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)
    9. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii)
    10. WarioWare D.I.Y. (DS)
    11. Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All Stars (Wii)

Once again, living in Europe means I can't vote for many of my favorite games this year because they came out in the rest of the world last year. :(
    Also, somehow I missed Golden Sun - Not that I'm far enough in to judge it anyway.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    You basically just said "Mass Effect 2 is more popular than StarCraft II"

Which is pretty much correct

In non-Korea, anyways

Yeah, but I also meant that, among people who like Starcraft 2, it'd be almost universally given that SC2 is better than ME2, even if they like both, but ME2 has wider appeal and so is more popular.

Yeah I agree with this. When I was making my list, nothing came even remotely close to SC2. And ME2 was 2nd on my list, but the space between spot 1 and 2 are infinitely greater for me this year than in others.

Some games are fun for one or two playthroughs, some games you keep coming back to and play for years (CS and maybe TF2 for me) or you remember as great, and a rare few absolutely consume you (BW first, and now SC2).

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The lack of EA MMA on the list means the insidious influence of CoD manages to break my top 5 for the first time ever. Looking at my list it's really multiplayer heavy, which shouldn't really surprise me considering my gaming time has become a much more social experience than ever before in the past year--it still does surprise me though.
    I also wish I could've put Breath of Death higher up but I just never got around to completing it, still not sure what exactly distracted me from it either.

Thanks! You voted for:

1.Bayonetta (360,PS3)
    2.Alpha Protocol (360,PC,PS3)
    3.Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    4.Call of Duty: Black Ops (360,DS,PC,PS3,Wii)
    5.Scott Pilgrim vs The World (360*,PS3*)
    6.Football Manager 2011 (iPhone,PC,PSP)
    7.Transformers: War for Cybertron (360,PC,PS3)
    8.Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (360,PC,PS3)
    9.Vanquish (360,PS3)
    10.Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    11.Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)
    12.Yakuza 3 (PS3)
    13.Costume Quest (PS3*,360*)
    14.Beat Hazard (360*,PC*,PS3*)
    15.Mount and Blade: Warband (PC)
    16.Medal of Honor 2010 (360,PC,PS3)
    17.After Burner Climax (360*,PS3*)
    18.Monday Night Combat (360*,PC)
    19.The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (PC*,360*)
    20.Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (360*)

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't understand this

MY Game of the Year?

Whoops.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011

I don't understand this

Let me say this much:

The way my ranking algorithm works, flipping the positions of your #1 and #2 vote will have basically no effect on final placement.

Just vote for whichever one you like more

mcc on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Basically what MCC said. The final tally is a really awesome amalgamation. I love going down the chart and seeing where people place their things. Take, for example, that I played fewer big-profile games outside of Blizzard. As such I have some indy games skewed higher, and I am completely missing some of those big-ass games (like ME2, which I own but hadn't played so I didn't feel qualified voting for). That changes the percentages.

Just have fun and vote for what you enjoyed. If your list goes over 20, that's when you need to cut things.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ronzo wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim is up that high mostly due to the dlc/patch that was just released for the 360, now the game is no longer impossibly hard on the easiest difficultly. Everything else pretty much just lined itself up from there

As someone who beat Scott Pilgrim over the last two nights, and thinking it is all kinds of awesome; just how hard was it before the patch?

I had no problems at all now it has been patched, kinda wish I'd placed it at number 10 instead or 16-ish, but then again the reason I didn't technically beat it in 2010 (by one day!) is because it took them so long to patch the damned thing, I owned it from a sale ages back but refused to play it until fixed...

Nice list BTW.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how do we get a game added to the list? Because Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising isn't on there and definitely makes my top 10.

Or is it left off because it's technically an expansion pack? I guess I could see that, but I thought it would count considering everything it adds and the fact that it's stand-alone.

I mean, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm is also technically going to be an expansion pack when it comes out in a year or two, so will that be left out as well? And WoW: Cataclysm is technically an expansion pack as well.

subedii on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's my list.

1. Darksiders
    2. Vanquish
    3. Resonance of Fate
    4. AC Brotherhood
    5. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    6. Alan Wake
    7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
    8. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
    9. Red Dead Redemption
    10. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
    11. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
    12. Tron: Evolution

Those are pretty much the only games from this year that left a significant impression on me. I played Halo: Reach but I didn't particularly enjoy it and whilst Bayonetta was virtually flawless from a gameplay standpoint, I just couldn't stand the story and the characters. As for ME2, I'm waiting on the PS3 version.

And whilst I still need to finish Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption, I feel that I've played enough of them to be happy putting them on my list.

Other than that, the rest of the games I played this year have been from earlier years.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have played so very few games from 2010:

1) Heavy Rain (PS3)
    2) Darksiders (360,PC,PS3)
    3) Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
    4) Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)
    5) Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (360,PC,PS3)
    6) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360,PS3)
    7) Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (360,PS3)
    8) Limbo (360*)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    here's the list of someone else
    no it's mine

Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
    Fallout: New Vegas (360,PC,PS3)
    Supreme Commander 2 (360,PC)
    Army of Two: The 40th Day (360,PS3)
    Costume Quest (PS3*,360*)
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (PC*,360*)
    Limbo (360*)
    Minecraft (PC*)
    Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (PC*)
    Toy Soldiers (360*)
    Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)

left out a couple of odd ones, and I haven't played some of my games yet (Splinter Cell, Dead Rising 2). I also play a lot of games from the last years since I can get them for a cheap price now

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    subedii wrote: »
    So how do we get a game added to the list? Because Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising isn't on there and definitely makes my top 10.

Or is it left off because it's technically an expansion pack? I guess I could see that, but I thought it would count considering everything it adds and the fact that it's stand-alone.

I mean, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm is also technically going to be an expansion pack when it comes out in a year or two, so will that be left out as well? And WoW: Cataclysm is technically an expansion pack as well.

You missed the nominations thread where MCC explained what was and wasn't going on the list.

Undead Scottsman on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pity. It was probably high up on my list too.

subedii on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the deliberation phase was last week. TBH I'm surprised that WoW: Cataclysm was on the list, but I guess it had precedent and the fact that it changed about 80% of WoW going for it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah, the deliberation phase was last week. TBH I'm surprised that WoW: Cataclysm was on the list, but I guess it had precedent and the fact that it changed about 80% of WoW going for it.

Actually, it was posted on thursday in this week and only ran for a couple of days.

Peewi on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deadly Premonition won because whilst I've played Fallout New Vegas a hell of a lot more and would replay it again and whilst Red Dead Redemption was massive fun no game this year came close to just how obsessed I became with DP for a good while. It's really a fantastic game.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

As someone who beat Scott Pilgrim over the last two nights, and thinking it is all kinds of awesome; just how hard was it before the patch?

I had no problems at all now it has been patched, kinda wish I'd placed it at number 10 instead or 16-ish, but then again the reason I didn't technically beat it in 2010 (by one day!) is because it took them so long to patch the damned thing, I owned it from a sale ages back but refused to play it until fixed...

Nice list BTW.

I was on my 3rd continue before I could beat Patel, and I was level 8 before being able to KO Lucas Lee. I started a playthrough with a friend a couple of days before the patch dropped and we went from having to revive each other more than 5 times a level to maaaaaaybe once or twice a level.

Basically it went from oldschool nintendo hard to just normally difficult. Enemies can still use combo's to kick your shit in (ninja's have one thats like 8-8-8-32 for damage, which is half your health), but a group of 4 low ranked enemies will no longer destroy you even at level 16

ronzo on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I beat Patel on my second life the first time I played it. And as soon as you got the Bionic Arm upgrade the game got ridiculously easy.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Patches should make the game harder. I like challenges.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boo! My no.1 game of the year: Skate 3 wasn't one of the choices.

Rest of my picks:

1. Rock Band 3 (360,PS3,Wii)
    2. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    3. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Eps. 1-5 (iPhone,PC*,PS3*)
    4. Fallout: New Vegas (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Bayonetta (360,PS3)
    6. Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (iPhone,PC*,Wii*)
    7. Heavy Rain (PS3)
    8. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
    9. Just Cause 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    10. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (PC*)
    11. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
    12. Dance Central (360)
    13. Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (360*)
    14. Soulcaster 1 and 2 (360*)
    15. Civilization V (PC)
    16. Cthulhu Saves the World (360*)
    17. VVVVVV (PC*)
    18. Puzzle Quest 2 (360*,DS,iPhone,PC,WP7)

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My Top 10. Numbers 11-20 are kind of a hodgepodge and not in any real order.
    Thanks! You voted for:

1. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    2. Super Street Fighter 4 (360,PS3)
    3. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
    4. Fallout: New Vegas (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)
    6. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
    7. Just Cause 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
    9. Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All Stars (Wii)
    10. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (360*,PS3*)

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited January 2011
    Skate 3 was brought up in that thread, too. What the hell?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just looked over the nomination thread, I don't see mention of Skate 3.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited January 2011
    Hm, I could have sworn it was. Ah well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1. Starcraft 2 (PC)
    2. Heavy Rain (PS3)
    3. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    4. VVVVVV (PC*)
    5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360,PS3)
    6. Civilization V (PC)
    7. Pac Man CE DX (360*,PS3*)
    8. Halo Reach (360)
    9. Bejeweled 3 (PC*)
    10. Rock Band 3 (360,PS3,Wii)
    11. Just Cause 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    12. Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)
    13. Singularity (360,PC,PS3)
    14. Limbo (360*)
    15. God of War 3 (PS3)
    16. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (360,PS3)
    17. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360,iPhone,PC,PS3,Wii)
    18. Alan Wake (360)
    19. Bayonetta (360,PS3)
    20. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1 Mass Effect 2
    2 Infinite Space
    3 Star Trek Online
    4 Starcraft II
    5 Pokemon Heartgold/soulsilver
    6 Super Mario Galaxy II
    7 Alpha Protocol
    8 Fallout: New Vegas
    9 Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    10 Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

I ended up mostly going by hours I had put in to the titles, though I weighted single player hours about 1.5 times as much as multiplayer hours. There are a bunch of games I liked that didn't make the list, and a few on the list that may seem a bit odd (Infinite Space and Star Trek Online) that I mostly like for their atmosphere and because I am a sucker for games you can fly a spaceship and shoot lasers.

Z0re on
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011

Nice list BTW.

My strong impression from having played it was that the game was the game had been balanced assuming 4 players, but if you played it in 1 player mode you were just screwed because you had to sink 4x any reasonable amount of damage into every enemy in order to drop it. I played it once and was wowed in several ways but also it took me FOREVER to complete just the first level-- it wasn't really even very hard, just sort of brutally time consuming to move even a single screen's length. Then I got to the boss, died and was like "screw it".

I actually didn't know there was a patch (is it on PSN also?) so if that's an option I'll totally go back and give it another chance.

mcc on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Took me a while, but done.

01. Mass Effect 2
    02. Red Dead Redemption
    03. Alan Wake
    04. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    05. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

06. Halo Reach
    07. Metro 2033
    08. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    09. Heavy Rain
    10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

11. Dead Rising 2
    12. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    13. God of War 3
    14. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    15. Darksiders

16. Bayonetta
    17. Gran Turismo 5
    18. Fallout: New Vegas
    19. Donkey Kong Country Returns
    20. Civilization V

For the record. I was completely unobjective. I also didn't put games up high, because they're an underdog or anything. It's just pure and simple, in the order of personal entertainment value. I think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a complete masterpiece, just like the original. But I just couldn't put it over some of the other games out this year. The same thing applies to quite a few games low in my list too. Civ5,Bayonetta and God of War 3 are also brilliant games.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I put RDR at the top of my list, it was impossible not too. Many games fought tooth and nail for my number two though. In the end Starcraft 2 was the last one left standing.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.