As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game of the Year 2010 Poll [VOTE HERE]

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So we're doing that now?

Dishonorable mentions:
    Mass Effect 2
    Final Fantasy 13
    Alan wake

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The funny thing is a lot of them will look like GOTY lists

I doubt most people here play many actual poorly-received games

UnbreakableVow on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, going by what he said:
    Dishonorable Mentions: Sorry, I have to do it. These games didn't live up to either hype or legacy.

We'll see how my list shakes out as I at least try some of these games in my backlog before the deadline, but I'll probably be squeezing ME2 somewhere in the top 20. Even though I think it's beyond over-hyped

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    True

I guess I should take Alpha Protocol off my list then

There was pretty much no hype surrounding it and reviews shit all over it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Boom:

1. Metro 2033 (360,PS3)
    2. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
    3. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (PC)
    5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360,PS3)
    6. Halo Reach (360)
    7. Just Cause 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    9. Alpha Protocol (360,PC,PS3)
    10. Minecraft (PC*)
    11. Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)
    12. Dead Rising 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    13. Blur (360,PC,PS3)
    14. Transformers: War for Cybertron (360,PC,PS3)

I have to say, this is probably one of the best Top Ten lists I've ever had for a single year. Almost all of my top ten choices were major contenders for GotY; it's only around 8-9 that things start to get a little iffy for me.

But at the end of the day, Metro 2033 was just something else. When a game can almost make you taste the musty stink of underground tunnels and shiver in a frozen, blasted Moscow, that's pretty spectacular. It's got some issues, but it really stands out from the crowd even when compared to the STALKER games. I probably didn't enjoy Red Dead Redemption the most out of the list, but that is one helluva well-constructed game.

Just Cause 2 is a pretty major contender just because it's so hard to not enjoy that game. A few major issues keep it from being a list-topper, though. Reach's campaign wasn't as good as ODST's, but the multiplayer is the best iteration in the whole series and lots of fun.

Blur really got shortchanged and is an awesome fun high-speed battle racing game. It's a real shame that it sold so badly because the multiplayer was awesome. War for Cybertron also wasn't the greatest, but it's probably the best Transformers game yet and actually manages to have a pretty great multiplayer mode. Alpha Protocol is broken as hell, but the branching story is something I've yet to see even remotely approached by any other game and it's loads of fun to be a spy who does actual spy things like talking to people instead of just shooting everything.

I did completely forget about Darksiders, though, and that was a completely awesome game.

Also, here's my list of party-poopers who want to spoil a thread about talking about the awesome games from the year in favor of turning the thread into an annoying argument:

Renzo (for bringing it up)
    Spoit (for helping it along)
    UnbreakableVow (what a surprise)

How about the thread just be about actual GotY stuff instead of trying to prove cool cred by ripping on "overhyped" games?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There are a lot of people voting for SC2 who don't post in the SC2 thread :(

I don't play RTS's online and there's not much else to discuss if I don't want to spoiler myself on Heart of the Swarm.

Undead Scottsman on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's my top fifteen out of the most memorable titles I've played this year:

1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (PC)
    2. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    3. Bayonetta (360,PS3)
    4. Resonance of Fate (360,PS3)
    5. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PSP)
    6. Sonic Colors (Wii)
    7. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (360*,PS3*)
    8. Halo Reach (360)
    9. Alan Wake (360)
    10. Transformers: War for Cybertron (360,PC,PS3)
    11. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii)
    12. Deadly Premonition (360,PS3)
    13. Poker Night at the Inventory (PC*)
    14. Deathsmiles (Arcade, 360)
    15. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (PC*)

Resonance of Fate took me completely by surprise - it wasn't that high on my radar (but enough to pique my interest) when the thread about the game here was created and the first gameplay details started to emerge, but when I heard all the positive word of mouth I decided to give it a rent from Gamefly. . . right after finishing FFXIII. Thank goodness I did, since all of the bad taste that disappointment left in my mouth was washed right out as soon as I saw RoF's opening cinematics. Awesome game, well made by Tri-Ace; and kudos to Sega (my most improved publisher of the year!) for deciding to bring it out overseas too.

8, 9, and 10 are pretty much my choices for most "meh" games of the year. . . not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not nearly as good as I had hoped from all the previews and word of mouth. Wake had a terrific story and presentation, but the gameplay got a bit stale. Reach was fine for a Halo game, but didn't really change things up that much, especially considering the fact that all of Noble Team, with all their supposed skills and specialties, weren't used that effectively all around. Transformers was another one with great presentation - the closest I've seen to classic Generation 1 Transformers in a good long while - but again, gameplay never rose above the samey third-person-shooter stuff, even with the vehicle modes. If I had picked up and played through Vanquish (one of many titles I haven't gotten around to due to budgetary issues and lack of employment) it probably would have replaced WfC on the list, on a much higher spot to boot considering how awesome the demo was.

Other than that, yeah. . . lots of overlap with other people, especially in the top five choices or so.

Grimthwacker on
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
    2. Mass Effect 2
    3. Red Dead Redemption
    4. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    5. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    6. Starcraft 2
    7. Darksiders
    8. Civilization V
    9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    10. Halo Reach
    11. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    12. Call of Duty: Black Ops
    13. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    14. Kirby's Epic Yarn
    15. Limbo
    16. Fable 3
    17. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Just to note on a few of the games listed above.

- World of Warcraft because I don't care if everyone says it shouldn't be included. It absorbs most of my gaming time and is the only game that I have played for four + years.

- Mass Effect because it is so god that I still play it almost a year later.

- Red Dead Redemption because there is so much to do that I haven't beat it yet.

- Dragon Quest IX because it is absorbing my gaming on the go and I can't seem to not play it when I am away.

- Civilization V because most sim games suck as far as I am concerned but this one was actually fun.

- Starcraft 2 because I liked the first one and loved this one.

Syrionus on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am so excited to cast my votes, but I can't until the last day, because out of nowhere, here comes...

Nier.

I just started it this weekend, and I can tell it's something that Im going to like. I need to give it it's fair shake, and make sure I get it in where it needs to be.

Also, I've once again flip flopped Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake. Alan Wake will go down as one of my favorite games of all time, if not my favorite, But this year I have really enjoyed, and put more time into Deadly Premonition.

Really, really happy to see the love both those titles are getting either way.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    So: I don't think there is going to be any chance this will be able to stay up just from bumps for the rest of the week.

Is there any way we could get this thread stickied until the end of the week? The thing about the GOTY vote thread is it's something that doesn't necessarily generate enough discussion to stay on the front page, but it is something that people would like to see, and they won't know it's there unless they see the thread. When we get past the voting I often see comments from people going "oh darn, I wish I'd seen that while it was up".

Who would be the person to contact about this? I don't really know who the active mods in here are at this point ohdear.png

mcc on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cardboard Tube is still the dude to ask. It's just that now he's called Lewie P's Stepdad. Don't ask why. Just roll with it.

Unfortunately you kind of got undercut by another GOTY thread that popped up a few days before you put up the nomination thread, and that's been where most of the discussion has apparently been happening.

Monger on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I am so excited to cast my votes, but I can't until the last day, because out of nowhere, here comes...

Nier.

I just started it this weekend, and I can tell it's something that Im going to like. I need to give it it's fair shake, and make sure I get it in where it needs to be.

Also, I've once again flip flopped Deadly Premonition and Alan Wake. Alan Wake will go down as one of my favorite games of all time, if not my favorite, But this year I have really enjoyed, and put more time into Deadly Premonition.

Really, really happy to see the love both those titles are getting either way.

I just started Neir too, but there's no way I'll be able to finish it in a few days. It seems like a cool game, though.

And I've removed the part of my previous post that mentions games I did not like that other people liked.

Renzo on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks! You voted for:

Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    Super Meat Boy (360*,PC*)
    Starcraft 2 (PC)
    Fallout: New Vegas (360,PC,PS3)
    Just Cause 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    Bayonetta (360,PS3)
    God of War 3 (PS3)
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (360*,iPhone,PC*,PS3*)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360,iPhone,PC,PS3,Wii)
    Cut the Rope (iPhone)
    Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (PC*)
    Singularity (360,PC,PS3)
    Angry Birds (Android,iPhone,mobile)
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (PC*,360*)
    Game Dev Story (Android,iPhone)

I haven't played RDR and AC:Bro but I'm pretty sure they'd have been pretty high on my list if I'd gotten a chance to play them earlier.

I thought I'd played a lot of games this year, but now that I think about it most of them were from last year or even before. Even though I can't put most of them in this list, this was the best year I've ever had in terms of video games played. This is the year I first played the Half-Life 2 episodes, the GTA IV episodes, the Mass Effect series, the God of War series, Assassin's Creed 2, Batman: AA, Dirt 2, GRID, Portal, Hitman: Blood Money and more. And I taught myself how to play strategy games with Starcraft 2. Easily, best year ever. At least for me. In terms of video games.

Muddy Water on
    edited January 2011
    It's weird

I don't recall anyone around these parts making a big deal about P.B. Winterbottom when it was released

I'm seeing it show up on a lot of top lists here

UnbreakableVow on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's a good game. Decent. I only remembered I'd played it when I saw it on the list. Steam had it on sale for half a buck over Christmas.

Muddy Water on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There are a lot of people voting for SC2 who don't post in the SC2 thread :(

I posted in there (or at least read it) while I played it. I'm not currently playing SC2 because Steam sale and tons of games to play.

Peewi on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think we should just agree to pretend Unbreakable Vow's posts don't exist whenever we are in a thread talking about games we like because

a) his opinions are always different to the majority, for reasons I can only assume is for private entertainment

b) They very rarely make any sense or have any consistency...a game he likes will not necessarily mean he likes an almost identical game

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2011
    A) That doesn't even make sense, as on the very first page of this thread I listed my own personal top twenty, all of which are very well-liked games.

B) They always make sense, though your consistency point does not. Just because a person likes God of War, for example, doesn't mean he'll enjoy Dante's Inferno or Lords of Shadow, though they are largely similar games. I'd be more than happy to clarify anything you'd like over PM, since Ninja Snarl is right and we should probably keep the discussion of disappointments out of the thread.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2011
    I think of Vow as our collective dorky little brother. You know. The one that hasn't quite developed anything resembling taste and you kind of hate it when the family goes out and you have to sit next to him in the car while he smushes his face against the window and tries to creep out the guy in the next lane and you really want to just start wailing on him but you know your mother would be all "you only get one little brother" and then take away all your Power Rangers for a week. But every golden once in a while he says something that makes you think "hey, maybe that guy might eventually be sort of okay."

Anyway, my point is that dude is fine. Save your ire for people that are actually abrasive.

Monger on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, at least he seems to be keeping this thread on track.

Compared to the "My game is better than your game" pissing contests that the GotY thread usually turns into.

Dragkonias on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love these polls.

1. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
    2. Fallout: New Vegas (360,PC,PS3)
    3. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
    4. Darksiders (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City (DS)
    6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360,PS3)
    7. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)
    8. Heavy Rain (PS3)
    9. Halo Reach (360)
    10. Pac Man CE DX (360*,PS3*)
    11. Limbo (360*)
    12. Dead Rising 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    13. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (DS)
    14. Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (DS)
    15. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (360*,PS3*)
    16. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    17. Bioshock 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    18. Infinity Blade (iPhone)
    19. Angry Birds (Android,iPhone,mobile)
    20. Ash (iPhone)

Edit: except that I always miss something. Super Meat Boy should have been on there, it would have been 10 or 11 probably.

elevature on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wow, this thread just made me realize I spent the entire year playing nothing but backlog games..... damn it goes by quick.

Red Dead is pretty much the only new game I bought and played in the year.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There aren't enough votes for Bayonetta.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking through every list looking for a Deadly Premonition placement.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There aren't enough votes for Bayonetta.

Yes.

Also "lack of good taste" does not equal "tastes disimilar to mine".

Magic Pink on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't tell if your "yes" is in support of the fact that people aren't voting for Bayonetta, or if it's in support of my assertion and you do indeed identify Bayonetta as the amazing game it is.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited January 2011
    I can't tell if your "yes" is in support of the fact that people aren't voting for Bayonetta, or if it's in support of my assertion and you do indeed identify Bayonetta as the amazing game it is.

Bayonetta needs to be wrapped in bacon and force fed to everyone. Those who haven't bought it need to have it glued to their ass.

Magic Pink on
    edited January 2011
    Bacon is gross

Bayonetta deserves better than that

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2011
    You may exchange the bacon with anything else pre-shoving. I am no bacon fan myself but it's a good default material to start with.

Magic Pink on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are too many games on this list that I want to play and vote for, but I haven't played them yet

It hurts me inside
    Number of 2010 games played and enjoyed enough to vote for: 6
    Number of 2010 games on backlog and/or tobuy list: 18

WTB: More hours in the day.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As of right now (actually voting Friday, to give Nier a fair chance at moving up, since I like it a lot right now...)

1. Deadly Premonition (360,PS3)
    2. Alan Wake (360)
    3. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
    4. Chime (360*,PC*)
    5. Rock Band 3 (360,PS3,Wii)
    6. Halo Reach (360)
    7. Dead Rising 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Monday Night Combat (360*,PC)
    9. Blur (360,PC,PS3)
    10. Endless Ocean 2: Blue World (Wii)
    11. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (360*,iPhone,PC*,PS3*)
    12. Just Cause 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    13. Limbo
    14. Comic Jumper
    15. Angry Birds (Android,iPhone,mobile)
    16. Nier
    17. Super Street Fighter IV (360)
    18. Hydro Thunder Hurricane (360)
    19. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii)
    20. Kinect Adventures (360)

My biggest surprise to myself was how high Chime ended up. The thing with Chime was I bought it because the demo was fun, and as I ranked the games, I weighed how much longevity the title has. And I realized - I have literally played Chime at least once a week, every week, since release. It is my absolute #1 go to game when I get home from bars on the weekend, and it's always fun to pop in when my girlfriend is on the phone or Im waiting for something to cook. Chime has been an absolute blast and just a sure fire good time since it's release, and I still haven't 100%'d it, and I'm still not anywhere near sick of it.

Chime is the standout sleeper hit of the year for me.

I am very upset that I didn't play, but purchased, Miles Edgeworth this year. I'm sure it would be in my top 5, absolutley positive of it, but I never put it in.

I also havent played enough Splinter Cell, Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Professor Layton to vote honestly on them.

But overall I like my list =)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm. This thread really makes me think, I should pick up Deadly Premonition. Does it play anything like old school Resident Evil? As I love all the RE games before 4.

EDIT: I'm talking purely from a gameplay point by the way. I have some idea as to the tone and setting of the game.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited January 2011
    Haikira wrote: »
    Hmm. This thread really makes me think, I should pick up Deadly Premonition. Does it play anything like old school Resident Evil? As I love all the RE games before 4.

EDIT: I'm talking purely from a gameplay point by the way. I have some idea as to the tone and setting of the game.

No, more like RE 4 with some old school just sort of popping up sometime.

Magic Pink on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Didn't Deadly Premonition have laughably bad dialogue, animations, voice acting etc? I mean, people actually liked that game? Or was it a joke?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited January 2011
    mugginns wrote: »
    Didn't Deadly Premonition have laughably bad dialogue, animations, voice acting etc? I mean, people actually liked that game? Or was it a joke?

No. No, it didn't. It had BIZZARE all-that-stuff but it's nowhere near bad. The game is just amazingly unique.

Magic Pink on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mugginns wrote: »

Yeah, I can't tell how much of the love for Deadly Premonition is ironic "so weird, broken, and horrible it's actually awesome" affection.

Lawndart on
    edited January 2011
    I was gonna buy Deadly Premonition the other day but GameStop didn't have any copies in

And the clerk was like "I wouldn't let you buy it anyway, it's awful."

But that guy's an idiot so I'm thinking it's probably actually good

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2011
    Haikira wrote: »

If you want to know anything about Deadly Premonition, you can always check the dueling Giant Bomb Endurance Runs. It's an OTS third person shooter like RE4/5 in parts. And then it's an open world game in other parts.

After watching the Endurance Runs, I considered picking up a copy of Deadly Premonition just because I like its style and its personality, but I don't know that I could actually ever play that game.

Monger on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Videos of the game on youtube make it seem like one of those budget titles you get at the grocery store.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited January 2011
    And the clerk was like "I wouldn't let you buy it anyway, it's awful."

I LOVE it when asshole clerks do that.

More specifically, I love getting them fired.

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.