As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Visual Effects] BLOOD EVERYWHERE! (NSFW?)

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Social Entropy++
A long time after a friend recommended it to me, I finally got around to watching The Thing last night. And even 29 years later it's still one of the most visually impressive horror films I've seen. Alhough nowadays we can do some pretty amazing CG effects, they don't seem to have the same physical presence on the screen as their prop counterparts do. They may in some senses look less realistic, but they always seem infinitely creepier, at least to me. Take these for example:

REAL SPOILERS

Alien (1979):

The Thing (1982):

Videodrome (1983):

That's not to say what we have today is bad though. We have films like this:

And this:
tron-legacy-11.jpg

And although were both pretty terrible plot-wise, they were both very pretty. Heck, they even managed to recreate a younger Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy.

Still, traditional effects are by no means dead! If you've seen Walking Dead, you'll almost certainly remember this scene, which was done almost entirely with makeup effects:
289.jpeg&w=600&h=auto&zc=1&ft=jpg

And if you're wondering, here's how they did it:

Let's talk about VISUAL EFFECTS.

Flay on

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    practical effects are being used less and less, it seems

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As a visual effects artist, I agree with you.
    I am contributing to something I dislike. Practical effects will always look better to me.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what's worse is, dudes whose bread and butter was practical effects like robert rodriguez start up their own CGI studios and their digital blood sucks balls

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was trying to think of other good examples of practical effects in modern films, but I really can't! That makes me sad...

I've been mucking around with makeup effects for a little while, but I've pretty much just scratched the surface, and I've only just skimmed some information about prop effects. At some point I'd really like to attempt making a short film or something using some effects, but I don't have the equipment just yet which is a shame.

Flay on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Flay,

Christopher Nolan, homie.

The dude flipped a semi truck on the real. The dude used an actual rotating hallway.

sure he uses cgi here and there, but some of the best directors out there are keeping it real.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Futore wrote: »
    Flay,

Christopher Nolan, homie.

The dude flipped a semi truck on the real. The dude used an actual rotating hallway.

sure he uses cgi here and there, but some of the best directors out there are keeping it real.

Daaaamn how did I forget those. Nolan is basically my favourite director ever.

Flay on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i have a friend who worked on the spiders for the first (?) harry potter movie

they ended up using cg instead :(

Quoth on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Possibly one of the most credible and scary film moments for me was with traditional effects.

It was in Irreversible and if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    another use of practical effects that should be noted is in the environment. Shutter Island, while suffering in some other areas as a film, has one of the best atmospheres in a movie in recent memory. And that was all shot in Massachusetts and Connecticut and Nova Scotia

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck yes videodrome.

Horror movies and fx were the only good thing to come out of the eighties.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    zimfan wrote: »
    Possibly one of the most credible and scary film moments for me was with traditional effects.

It was in Irreversible and if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about.

That was done with CG.
    Well, it was practically shot, but because it looked kind of fake they went in afterward and fixed it digitally in post production.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    feebsicle wrote: »

That was done with CG.
    Well, it was practically shot, but because it looked kind of fake they went in afterward and fixed it digitally in post production.

Still, you've got to give them the editing on the whole Arm breaking thing and the Face breaking might have been CGI to a point but throughout the movie they meticulously fixed every digital with practical effects.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I remember watching The Thing on TV once and just being absolutely repulsed and disturbed by the effects. Watching that clip in the OP, I still find myself squirming. Uuuughghahghagh

Not saying that's a bad thing, it's a testament to how well-done practical effects can be absolutely amazing and make or break a scene.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That was done with CG.

Still, you've got to give them the editing on the whole Arm breaking thing and the Face breaking might have been CGI to a point but throughout the movie they meticulously fixed every digital with practical effects.

The penis in the rape scene was CG.
    That was someone's actual job. Creating a CG a penis, and animating it raping Monica Belluci.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I always thought that Guillermo del Toro movies had some pretty good practical effects in them!
    Also, Lord of the Rings had some excellent practical miniature sets.

As for good CG? Jurassic Park will always blow me away. Those dinos were done so well. Considering this was done in the early 1990's, and it still holds up to the stuff that comes out nowadays. Phenomenal work by ILM.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That was done with CG.

The penis in the rape scene was CG.
    That was someone's actual job. Creating a CG a penis, and animating it raping Monica Belluci.

Yeah I know

but it was only when he got off of her, if I remember correctly

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I heard of a Drinking game for the Thing.

Every time Kurt Russel takes a drink you do a shot.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also I will say that no movie has made my jaw drop at the visual effects the same way Avatar did. Saw it in IMAX 3D and the scene where he tames the flying thing made my balls tingle.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A cool thread on a nerdy subject. I like it.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uriel wrote: »
    I heard of a Drinking game for the Thing.

Every time Kurt Russel takes a drink you do a shot.

the drinking game is called How to Murder Your Friends That Watch The Thing

Raneados on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always thought that Guillermo del Toro movies had some pretty good practical effects in them!

As for good CG? Jurassic Park will always blow me away. Those dinos were done so well. Considering this was done in the early 1990's, and it still holds up to the stuff that comes out nowadays. Phenomenal work by ILM.

You know what blew me away the most when I was first learning CG? Those dinos were modeled in NURBs according to my teacher.

God Damn

because seriously fuck NURBs

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Veretas wrote: »

You know what blew me away the most when I was first learning CG? Those dinos were modeled in NURBs according to my teacher.

God Damn

because seriously fuck NURBs

Almost everything back then was nurbs based. It blows my mind as well.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would like to learn how to do visual effects in real life. Then my short films would be so much cooler

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    a school my friend is going to is teaching the kids entirely in nurbs and I am like what the fuck is wrong with your teacher

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That teacher should be fired.
    Nobody uses nurbs. They are all going to be screwed.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »
    I would like to learn how to do visual effects in real life. Then my short films would be so much cooler

This dude does some really great makeup tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op_SVJHpmxI

Flay on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is what I told my friend. She just sort of shrugged. The students don't know any better.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

This dude does some really great makeup tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op_SVJHpmxI

Right when I clicked that I'm just like D:

But damn that's some awesome makeup

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Master and Commander is probably my favorite modern example of how VFX should be used.

Also Zodiac because there are shots in there that I had NO idea were VFX shots or really incredible matte paintings.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There are actually quite a lot of movies that use visual effects very well. You just can't appreciate it because you don't know it's digital when you're watching it. Kind of a bittersweet industry for the artists who are really talented at what they do.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Master and Commander is probably my favorite modern example of how VFX should be used.

Also Zodiac because there are shots in there that I had NO idea were VFX shots or really incredible matte paintings.

matte paintings and compositing in general is in pretty much in every film nowadays. Even if only to set a color tone.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ps Feebs I like your work :D

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Thing is probably my favorite sci-fi film, it is so good.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wrench N Rockets should post in here

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some of the movies with the best special effects had room for both methods, blending "real" work, such as animatronics and makeup and digital work for when physical effects are not practical or too expensive

by which I mean Jurassic Park

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Dreamworks does last I checked.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Macera wrote: »
    Some of the movies with the best special effects had room for both methods, blending "real" work, such as animatronics and makeup and digital work for when physical effects are not practical or too expensive

by which I mean Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park is the continuous benchmark for all films.

Always.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah, they're still a nurbs house. How To Train Your Dragon was pretty much all nurbs. Though apparently they are dipping into polys again.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Michel Gondry does some kickass shit with practical effects.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Veretas wrote: »

Yeah, they're still a nurbs house. How To Train Your Dragon was pretty much all nurbs. Though apparently they are dipping into polys again.

Also basically anyone in the product design or automotive industry.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg