As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a good Keyboard with no clackityclacking keys

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, asking for a friend who is looking for a new PC Keyboard.

It shouldn't be huge, so the Logitech G11 I use is not something I can recommend.
She wants a keyboard that is fairly quiet and the keys should be backlit.
Keyboard will be used for gaming, mostly TF2 and WoW, but doesn't have to be a specific gaming board.
Price range can vary, but nothing extrafancy, I'd say 80$ tops.

Librarian on

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Saitek Eclipse

Saitek Eclipse II

They may have a newer model but they're very solidly built and don't clack clack much if at all. They're weighty so they don't shift around and pretty slim.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    IBM model M.

No wait, that's the anti-recommendation; while it is the greatest keyboard to ever exist it is also the loudest.

I think razor has one with the chicklet style keys which would be pretty much the anti-clack. Your friend might also want to look into using an apple keyboard, they are also very quiet keyboards.

edit: I have a Saitek eclipse I and I can attest to their high quality but unless they changed the design for the II they are relatively quiet for clacky keys but they're still pretty noisy in comparison to other key switch types.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SplitTheSkySplitTheSky Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I've never tried the ones mentioned here. However; I do love my G19. It's very quiet on the key front.

SplitTheSky on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmmm.. backlit...

I've found that most gaming keyboards are very loud, but "normal" keyboards are rarely backlit or so it seems. I use the Logitech 350, it's cheap, very silent and has a standard keyboard layout. But, it's not back-lit.

Heyo, this seems nice. Listed as $80 there, could be cheaper on Newegg.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Heyo, this seems nice. Listed as $80 there, could be cheaper on Newegg.

I got this for about 1/2 priceish on cyber monday and I like it. Probably the cheapest out there that I could afford but at least it feels rather nice typing on it, compelling me to type. Some how they made it feel pretty solid and it doesn't have the plastic clickity feel. Oh and it is quiet by my standards, making seemingly less noise than my netbook's keyboard. Love it.

Some things I thought was unusual that you might like/dislike is that the keys have huge labels and that they shifted the scroll lock key, replaced it with insert and made the delete key the size of 2 keys. But if you are using it for gaming, I think it has served me well in that respect.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently the Logitech G110 is only a bit wider than a normal keyboard, but it still has back-lighting and 12 G-keys along the left side.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thing about the G110 is that if the G15 is any indication of Logitech Gaming Keyboards, it might be very loud.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Because of what your friend is looking for she's better off trying a bunch of different boards in a store. It's hard to find a board that's illuminated, quiet, and has solid weight. Otherwise I suppose any old rubber dome (yech) keyboard will work. Quiet, squishy, cheap.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I recommend against the original Saitek Eclipse. The glossy keys cause the backlight to be useless because of glare from the monitor.

corky842 on