As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - a 100% effecient leveling run [Complete]

shojinshojin Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Games and Technology
oblivion%20banner.png

I'm sure this game needs no real introduction as to what it is: a first person RPG set in the Elder Scrolls universe. For a few years now this game has been played, modded, expanded and talked about since it came out. People have been disappointed with it's inability to meet the quality of story that previous Elder Scrolls games and horrendous glitches, and praised for the few things it did improve on (though I can't think of any off the top of my head.)

Now that the next installment in the series has been announced two installments have been finished, I figure it would be nice to have a little archival of everything, if at least to myself on footage. So, I finally started an actual Let's Play, and decided to put my foot out the door with a big entrance, by doing what's going to be a very long LP. It'll span every quest, item, oblivion gate, npc, unmarked spaces, easter eggs, house, horse, and even every nirnroot. I plan on doing absolutely everything in this game so that it can be put behind us all, and hopefully we can look ahead to Skyrim and be pleased with it. Yea, yea.. this series has gone on for a long time with huge breaks in between, but I'm committed to it. I'll have a new episode every week, because I've gotta research and make sure I do things right.

Support me on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/redshojin
Donate to Extra Life! http://www.extra-life.org/participant/shojin
Join me on Discord! http://www.discord.gg/83t3rnK

Stuff I made for this playthrough:
Efficient Leveling PDF
Item List

Mods in use:
OBSE
Fast Exist
Oblivion Stutter Remover
Blockhead
Unofficial Oblivion Path
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch
Unofficial Mods Patch
Qarl's Texture Pack v1.3
Optimized QTP3 Meshes
All Natural v1.34
Enhanced Water v20
Unique Landscapes Compilation
Darnified UI
Toggleable Quantity Prompt
Elven Map Redux
Elven Map for Shivering Isles
Unmarked Places
Real Days and Months
Colored Enemy Health
Keychain
A Takes All (and books)
Spell Delete and Item Remove
HiRes Oblivion Textures v11
Improved Sky Textures
Better Nightsky
Real Lava
Real Wood Road Signs
Better Silverware
HiRes Pewter
CM Better Wine
Better Gold
Kafeis' Better Amulet Replacer
Kafeis' Better Ring Replacer
Improved Fires and Flames
Improved Fruits, Vegetables, and Meats
Improved Skulls, Bones, and Ironwork
Book Jackets Oblivion
Shivering book Jackets
Grimbot's Spell Tomes
Book Jackets - Knights of the Nine
Better Staffs Texture
Mangler's Equipment & Ammo Textures
Weapon Improvement Project
Town Guard Shields
Enhanced Magic Effects
Robert's Male v5.2
Robert's Female Replacer v1.3
Robert Argonian Normal skin
Robert's Face Textures
Oblivion Character Overhaul v2.04
Robert's Male Body Replacer Texture Compatability
Robert's Female Body Replacer Texture Compatability

Here goes nothing:
Episodes 1-3: Tutorial Section Episode 4: Aleswell
Efficient Leveling/ Item Collection (5-16) Misc. City Quests (17-36) Daedric Quests (37-43) The Dark Brotherhood (44-49) Episode 50: Mastering the Masters
Mage's Guild (51-57) Fighter's Guild (58-63) Thieve's Guild (64-68) The Collector (69-72) Knights of the Nine (73-75) Episode 76: Mehrunes' Razor
Shivering Isles (77-94) Main Quest (95-120)

This is My Empire, These Cities Among the Stars
shojin on

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Episodes 5-6: Training/Efficient Leveling of Armor, and Melee Attacking

Here's the efficient leveling pdf. Note that I do the plan for level to 9. The order really doesn't matter, as long as it's followed in the same vein that's written.
    http://metallicsunmedia.com/oblivion/shojinefficientleveling.pdf

Here's a link to the planner I used to make my plan.
    http://ocp.uesp.net/

shojin on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Episode 7: Duplication Glitch

I apologize for not making many videos lately, and beg for forgiveness. Oh yea, we also cheat the game out of money, and I show you how too!

Duplication Info:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Glitches#Duplicate_Items_Using_Scrolls

shojin on
  • Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What mods are you using? I really like the look of some things such as the very colorful map.

Still watching this. Keep on keepin' on.

ronrab on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ronrab wrote: »
    What mods are you using?

I'm too lazy to post links to them all, but I'll give you a list of all the mods I have installed.

OBSE
    Fast Exist
    Oblivion Stutter Remover
    Blockhead
    Unofficial Oblivion Path
    Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch
    Unofficial Mods Patch
    Qarl's Texture Pack v1.3
    Optimized QTP3 Meshes
    All Natural v1.34
    Enhanced Water v20
    Unique Landscapes Compilation
    Darnified UI
    Toggleable Quantity Prompt
    Elven Map Redux
    Elven Map for Shivering Isles
    Unmarked Places
    Real Days and Months
    Colored Enemy Health
    Keychain
    A Takes All (and books)
    Spell Delete and Item Remove
    HiRes Oblivion Textures v11
    Improved Sky Textures
    Better Nightsky
    Real Lava
    Real Wood Road Signs
    Better Silverware
    HiRes Pewter
    CM Better Wine
    Better Gold
    Kafeis' Better Amulet Replacer
    Kafeis' Better Ring Replacer
    Improved Fires and Flames
    Improved Fruits, Vegetables, and Meats
    Improved Skulls, Bones, and Ironwork
    Book Jackets Oblivion
    Shivering book Jackets
    Grimbot's Spell Tomes
    Book Jackets - Knights of the Nine
    Better Staffs Texture
    Mangler's Equipment & Ammo Textures
    Weapon Improvement Project
    Town Guard Shields
    Enhanced Magic Effects
    Robert's Male v5.2
    Robert's Female Replacer v1.3
    Robert Argonian Normal skin
    Robert's Face Textures
    Oblivion Character Overhaul v2.04
    Robert's Male Body Replacer Texture Compatability
    Robert's Female Body Replacer Texture Compatability

shojin on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Episode 8: Frostcrag Spire Glitch

In this episode, we break the game a little bit to get a hold of a decent weapon, and a lot of glowing orbs, in return for a broken leg. Fun, fun, fun.

shojin on
  • Options
    izzyfoshizzyizzyfoshizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm also still watching this, keep posting!

izzyfoshizzy on
    We're giving away a brand new Nintendo 3DS, just subscribe to our Youtube channel!!: [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j783JuF4Ig[/vidURL]
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game has been on my backlog for ages, so I've been enjoying watching these. They've been giving me ideas for when I finally get around to playing it.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Episode 9: The Final Episode (April Fools)

Sorry... Things have just been getting too hectic for me, and I can't continue doing this LP.

shojin on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Only managed to watch 8 and 9 today, when I watched 9 I was all ready to post about how this is the best Oblivion LP I'd seen and other supportive crap in the hopes it would bring you back one day.............damn you got me good, you bastard! :D

I'll gush anyway.......well done so far, really great LP.

You say you're not an authority but you're still quite a few levels of pro above 99% of everyone else who played Oblivion.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    atat23 wrote: »
    Only managed to watch 8 and 9 today, when I watched 9 I was all ready to post about how this is the best Oblivion LP I'd seen and other supportive crap in the hopes it would bring you back one day.............damn you got me good, you bastard! :D

Tsk, tsk. Always look at the post date.
    atat23 wrote: »
    I'll gush anyway.......well done so far, really great LP.
    You say you're not an authority but you're still quite a few levels of pro above 99% of everyone else who played Oblivion.

Aw... shucks.

By the way everyone, I'll be doing at least one Oblivion video over spring break (next week) so, I should be able to do enough to get back onto a regular basis, and I want to let's play one other quick, quick game as well. What I want to ask is: should I start a side LP along with Oblivion? Elder Scrolls is great and all, but it takes me a lot of time to prepare - mostly because I have to sit at it for a long while. Maybe I should do a smaller game just so that there's at least videos being put out on a regular basis? I'm thinking Mario Tennis for the game boy... does anyone else have any suggestions on what I would be good at?

shojin on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was thinking of replaying Oblivion to prepare for Skyrim, but just watching the good parts of a good LP would save me a ton of time.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sigh. Even with efficient leveling Oblivion gets very unfun at higher levels. I've never finished the game. I've got a 140 odd hour save sitting on my hd and I just can't bear the thought of facing a world full of things that I can't one-shot sneak kill in the face anymore.

Whenever anyone says enemy scaling is a good thing I run Oblivion, stare at the main menu to rekindle my hatred and then exit to game to post angry things at that person.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I was thinking of replaying Oblivion to prepare for Skyrim, but just watching the good parts of a good LP would save me a ton of time.

Hopefully this is good enough for you.
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Sigh. Even with efficient leveling Oblivion gets very unfun at higher levels. I've never finished the game. I've got a 140 odd hour save sitting on my hd and I just can't bear the thought of facing a world full of things that I can't one-shot sneak kill in the face anymore.

Whenever anyone says enemy scaling is a good thing I run Oblivion, stare at the main menu to rekindle my hatred and then exit to game to post angry things at that person.

That's why I won't be doing the really cheap ways of killing. Even though I am leveling, I still want it to be fun for me. If you're watching this, then hopefully it won't make you too angry.

shojin on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Episode 10: Midnight Visit

Today we get a little visit from a special someone... FORESHADOWING YAY!

In other news, I'm working on a list of ALL of the items that I will be obtaining in this playthrough, both on screen and off camera. Most off I think, but I'll save most of the non-random stuff for the camera so you all know where they are. I will upload a pdf of the list for all of you that would like it - I'm personally gonna print it out and use it as a checklist for this LP.

shojin on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Episode 11: Potentially Blinding

In this episode we go find a rare helmet and fall into a hole. I will be switching to 720p after this episode. It's just too jittery recording at 1080p.

Efficient Leveling PDF

Item List

shojin on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nice, I guess I'll be following this. With all the buzz about Skyrim lately, I had the urge to play Oblivion again..but I guess I'll just watch you do it.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Nice, I guess I'll be following this. With all the buzz about Skyrim lately, I had the urge to play Oblivion again..but I guess I'll just watch you do it.

It's one way to do it. ;)

shojin on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Could always do a no-level run.

Just pick only Major skills that you can purposely never level, and as you level your minor skills you'll start to outpace everything else in the game.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Episode 12: Setting Scamps on Fire (Efficient Leveling)

In this episode, we train up our mighty spells after already having ridiculously buff arms. I show you how to efficiently and easily train just about all of the magical skills in the game. Either with the Arcane University (or Frostcrag Spire), or just on your own! I also show you a great place to train at.

Here's the efficient leveling pdf. Up to level 15 on it now:
    http://metallicsunmedia.com/oblivion/shojinefficientleveling.pdf

Here's a link to the planner I used to make my plan.
    http://ocp.uesp.net/

shojin on
  • Options
    Episode 13: Fort Nikel
    In this episode, we storm a fort, I tell you what I think of Skyrim, and we buy something rather nifty. Something weird happened with this episode - I recorded in 720, but rendered in 1080. It doesn't look that bad really, but you guys be the judges of that. What do you think?

• Options
    Episode 14: Bears

In this episode, we find three master trainers in order to raise our skills a little higher. Or just to annoy them. I think the second makes more sense. We find the ones for Destruction, Blade, and Blunt.

• Options
    Episode 15: Punch Me as Hard as You Can!

In this episode we find three more master trainers, two of which who want to find us. I show you the people we need to talk to in order to get the quests, and we get a little lost at times. Also, people. If you'd like to see more videos while you wait, go into my backloggery and pick a game for me that i can record without that much preparation!

My Backloggery

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I like to see you do a Let's Play of The Longest Journey or Assassins Creed 2, but unless IRL school related stuff doesn't let up I'd rather see you concentrate on that and not doing two Let's Plays at the same time. That said, if you haven't played through an Assassins Creed game get (skip 1 and go right to 2) they are phenomenal, and shouldn't require too much perpetration if you stick to the main quests and plan out which side quests you want to do (or just skip them entirely in the LP and do them in your own time). The Longest Journey is one of the greatest adventure games and if you have a passing interest in adventure games you owe it to yourself to play it.

That said, I'm looking forward to you tackling the main quests or guild quest in Oblivion. It's time you put all your hard work leveling to work :)

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I'm just going to leave this here....

• Options
    Episode 16: Efficiently Leveled We finish leveling ourselves, see the brand spanking new visuals (and in 60FPS!), notices glitches, and in the next episode we'll be at level 52 and can do whatever we want. It's back - every first of the month. :)

• Options
    Episode 17: Goobye Scamps! Is it true? We're finally rid of the menaces? FINALLY! Also, we visit some more Master Trainers.

• Options
    Episode 18: Are you not entertained?! We explore the fully upgraded Wizard's Tower and Deepscorn Hollow... and then we demolish everyone in the Arena. Well, almost everyone.

• Options
    Episode 19: Cleaning Imperial City Scum It's a grab bag of all kinds of Imperial City quests! Also, we finally get a couple of new pieces of shiny Daedric armor!

• Options
    Episode 20: Vampirisims There's a lot to do with vampires in this episode. Killing them, being them, curing them.. it's a lot to take in.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Four years is impressive. Lich didn't know what he was getting into.

• Options
    Episode 21: The Garlic Shortage We finish out that damned vampire cure quest, and then move on to more important things.. like a trainer we don't need. Also, a new glitch!

Episode 22: Nirnroot! We collect Nirnroot. A lot of nirnroot. It's all sped up, it's okay.

Episode 23: Skingrad We finally finish out the Arena! Though, it's a bit bittersweet. Also, we do everything in Skingrad.

Episode 24: Braveeeeeel We complete the rest of the quests in Bravil and I realize that I am in desperate need of a new weapon. If you'd like to see me focus on something in particular, please leave a comment. Otherwise, I'm going to continue through the cities.

I may have been a little lazy in updating this thread for a few months.. rest assured, I am still doing this - it's come out consistently every first of the month.

• Options
    Episode 25: LeyaWINNING! We buy two houses, solve some problems in Leyawin, and become KNIGHTS OF THE WHITE STALLION! THROW UP THE HORNS!

• Options
    Episode 26: Shey-den-hal My absolute favorite city in the entire game!

• Options
    Episode 27: Bruma It's cold up there. Damn Nords.

• Options
    Episode 28: Murder in Bruma I'm getting really, really lazy with these descriptions. Like, holy hell.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Episode 29: Anchoring in Anvil
    EDIT: Reuploading.. for some reason it didn't process to HD.

But it will be here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhUSzf0WzzA
    The docks are just full of surprises, aren't they! Or I guess they're actually full of pirates.

shojin on
  • Options
    Episode 30: Pillagers of Anvil There was a word I was supposed to look up, but I forgot it. In any case, we kill the robbers, and become pirates! There's irony in there.

• Options
    Episode 31: Virginia of Cyrodil Listen, this isn't a statement on Virginia, just on how weird Chorrol is. Maybe it's insulting for both. I won't apologize.

• Options
    Episode 32: Innsmouth You shouldn't be here OUTSIDER.

• Options
    IseultTheIdleIseultTheIdle Registered User regular
    Aaarrgh, this is really making me want to play Oblivion again.