As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

British Shows: Watch all the hot new television before it comes to America!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4cHWS2758
    Razer was the best. Took out a damn house robot.

Did I just watch robot anal sex?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When at school I was in the choir, we went to a choristers competition and did Red Dwarf and Black Adder (alongside more traditional hymns). Came third - take that Glee.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You did the Blackadder series 2 ending theme?

Or did you do Baldrick's poems?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Series 1 I thought, but youtube has made me think it could have been season 2. Was only 11 at the time so actually saw Black Adder after learning the song.
    Nope, definitely series 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pUKXtmcnE&feature=related

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Makes sense. The series 2 ending theme had the same tune with a different arrangement and different lyrics every episode.

Baldrick's poems would have been awesome as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLybS4jKSCE

It really hits you in the gut.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    May as well post the best scene in the entire series as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRx90mOXS7Q

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hadn't seen that Razer clip, awesome.

I hated the house robots so much. They all had completely useless weapons and were only strong because they were fucking gigantic.

Also if we're posting clips from game shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIfcYwI6Ps

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    EDIT: Huh. And they apparently put them all up officially on youtube (albeit at not brilliant quality).

Actually, despite appearances, that channel isn't official at all. The channel description begins with
    If you want a episode uploading message me. I will only fulfil request of those that have subscribed to me.

which is the first clue, along with the unofficial stretched artwork in the background and the fact that most official channels are able to put up episodes as one video rather than in chunks. But perhaps the biggest thing for me personally is that I know people at Grant Naylor and they don't have anything to do with this channel.

I'd like to add: All eight series are up on Netflix, although the first three series are the "remastered" versions which fans almost universally hate for ruining jokes and awful, awful CG. My recommendation: Rent the S1-3 discs from Netflix, which are the original broadcast versions, and then stream the rest.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    I hadn't seen that Razer clip, awesome.

I hated the house robots so much. They all had completely useless weapons and were only strong because they were fucking gigantic.

Razer did Matilda a favour, because they replaced that rubbish arse chainsaw with some beefed up circular saw that turned her into a beast.

Dead Metal got a revamp, and that pinky little buzz blade he had, was replaced with something that was a bit more beefy.

Razer was also the first robot to beat Chaos 2 (Chaos 2 was the only robot to win 2 series in a row)

It's all coming back! Shame I used my brain to remember rubbish like this, as opposed something useful.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh dear god, I'd totally forgotten about Knightmare and how wonderfully awful the whole thing was.

Tav on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I quite enjoy Only Connect, a quiz gameshow in which teams have to identify what links a group of clues.

Sets of clues were identified by greek letters. People complained that this was snobbish and pretentious, and so were replaced with Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Also the host, Victoria Coren is extremely sarcastic:
    "Hello, and welcome to Only Connect — the show described by the Daily Mirror as "weird". It is a bit strange — There are two teams; I ask them questions, and if they get the answers right they get points, and at the end of the quiz, whichever team has the most points, they're the winners. It's a revolutionary idea, but someone had to try it."

I'll admit I've only watched an episode (I knew a couple people on it before christmas), but it seemed way unbalanced towards the final round if you were good enough at it. The aformentioned team were winning handily, and then got completely destroyed in the last couple minutes because someone on the other team was practically autistic savant at rearranging the letters.

Leitner on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    retrovm wrote: »
    anyone here ever watch the brittas empire? i LOVED that show when i was a kid. that, and are you being served?

I loved the Brittas Empire. I was so glad when it came out on DVD and I could add it to my collection.

That said, one of my favourite British series has yet to be mentioned and that series is Drop the Dead Donkey. The last two seasons were a bit weak, but the first four seasons are some of the best comedy there is. You can find all of it here on YouTube.

Another oldie but goldie that you've probably never seen is the 'Aaagh! It's the Mr Hell Show'. It's Bob Monkhouse's last ever appearance and it is a truly, truly wonderful cartoon clipshow.

NSFW.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One which probably never made it across the pond is the very short lived, but brilliant surreal sketch show the Wrong Door:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnYAKAQd9Zg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHODegQccWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7mHf17KDIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5lGzk3uRX8

Floofy on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    May as well post the best scene in the entire series as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRx90mOXS7Q

That's a great one, I like this one quite a bit:

Walking very slowly towards the enemy

And there's another one where they have a small patch of dirt and grass on the table, signifying the amount of land they have taken. Blackadder asks them what scale it is, Darling pulls out the ruler and says, "1:1." or something similar. I can't seem to find it though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Only Connect is fantastic. I'd quite like to go on it but I tend to get maybe one question right per episode.

Also, there seems to be a US remake of Shameless? I only watched the first series, it was good fun, I think it might have gone a bit too strange after that (I saw a Christmas special with some kind of army lockdown for instance).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    I quite enjoy Only Connect, a quiz gameshow in which teams have to identify what links a group of clues.

Sets of clues were identified by greek letters. People complained that this was snobbish and pretentious, and so were replaced with Egyptian hieroglyphs.

"Hello, and welcome to Only Connect — the show described by the Daily Mirror as "weird". It is a bit strange — There are two teams; I ask them questions, and if they get the answers right they get points, and at the end of the quiz, whichever team has the most points, they're the winners. It's a revolutionary idea, but someone had to try it."

I'll admit I've only watched an episode (I knew a couple people on it before christmas), but it seemed way unbalanced towards the final round if you were good enough at it. The aformentioned team were winning handily, and then got completely destroyed in the last couple minutes because someone on the other team was practically autistic savant at rearranging the letters.

I've watched plenty of episodes where that doesn't happen, but it's always a risk in quickfire rounds. I love the Coren family, though. I saw Alan Coren live back in his News Quiz days, and he was delightfully caustic. His newspaper column was brilliant as well.

Giles Coren, along with Sue Perkins, had a very interesting series on food called The Supersizers Go... which looked at diets and lifestyles in various points in history.

On the subject of quizzes, I feel that I should mention University Challenge. The questions are hard, and there are lots of them, which isn't something that you tend to see these days in quiz shows which have 45 minutes of banter and 15 minutes of actual questions.

Plus Stephen Fry was on it.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The final scene from Blackadder Goes Forth still chokes me up. Such a brilliant series.

Crystal Maze was the best thing on TV while Richard O'Brien was the host. When he left and Ed Tudor-Pole took over.. bad things happened.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    One thing that is more apparent in British comedy shows is that it's like the same pool of people showing up for the supporting and side characters for a series. That Armstrong and Miller clip above, for instance, has Sophie from Peep Show (and M&W Look and Look Around You), along with the chick who was the ex-wife from the IT Crowd who was also in the Peter Serafinowicz show and some other comedies.

Yeah, there seem to be a couple of circles in British comedy, where you'll often find a bunch of the same cast members working together, showing up in smaller roles in shows led by other members who've supported them in the past.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am now watching Father Ted. It seems strange. I feel like I should put on subtitles.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, I wish I could go back in time and watch every Father Ted episode for the first time again.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    Crystal Maze was the best thing on TV while Richard O'Brien was the host. When he left and Ed Tudor-Pole took over.. bad things happened.

I still catch the repeats on whatever obscure digital channels they appear on.

Also the Krypton Factor was fantastic. Watching people build a model of a space shuttle then zipline over a muddy field used to be the highlight of my Monday.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I still catch the repeats on whatever obscure digital channels they appear on.

Also the Krypton Factor was fantastic. Watching people build a model of a space shuttle then zipline over a muddy field used to be the highlight of my Monday.

Yes! I used to love that show.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »

I've watched plenty of episodes where that doesn't happen, but it's always a risk in quickfire rounds. I love the Coren family, though. I saw Alan Coren live back in his News Quiz days, and he was delightfully caustic. His newspaper column was brilliant as well.

Giles Coren, along with Sue Perkins, had a very interesting series on food called The Supersizers Go... which looked at diets and lifestyles in various points in history.

On the subject of quizzes, I feel that I should mention University Challenge. The questions are hard, and there are lots of them, which isn't something that you tend to see these days in quiz shows which have 45 minutes of banter and 15 minutes of actual questions.

Plus Stephen Fry was on it.
    and alternatively:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxA0a5G6ccg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Ed Tudor-Pole was ridiculously underrated!

I mean yeah Richard O'Brien was amazing, but Tudor-Pole was perfectly acceptable. He didn't deserve the backlash. Bah!

Also when Stephen Fry puts his hand ion his cheek in that clip I pretty much swooned. Just FYI.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I loved the crystal maze. So much incompetence. The ocean/shipwreck zone was the best, especially the games that were actually underwater. I remember there being sharks sometimes too.

And the Krypton Factor. When I was 7-8 I had swimming lessons on Monday evenings, on the way home my mother would stop and get fish & chips and we'd eat it while watching the Krypton Factor. I always enjoyed the people that would spend their points on an arrow or two in the big maze thing, and then go off in the other direction after finding it because it didn't look like the exit was that way.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love this thread for introducing me to Saxondale.

Also I watched a couple episodes of Wire in the Blood this past week. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but I am enjoying it enough to keep watching. I can't help but find most British television depressing the first time I see it, what with how grey everything is over there, but eventually I get to know the characters and soon enough the depression isn't there. Wire in the Blood is different in that it never stops being depressing (and really fucking creepy).

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We're like next-gen gaming - great once you get past the colour palette.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Father Ted was just a ridiculously charming show. Half the jokes would never have passed if they'd been delivered by other characters.

It's a shame Graham Linehan will never hit that high again. Black Books is pretty good, and The IT Crowd has its moments, but they don't even come close. Not that they're trying to; they're much more cynical and all. Still, too bad.

Anyway, Misfits gets a 3rd series. Can they make up for the Christmas special?

Also, rumours abound that the Alan Partridge movie is finally confirmed. God I hope so. Watching Coogan try and break into Hollywood is painful.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bogart wrote: »

But nobody from outside the Northwest has ever been on that show!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sherlock is fantastic. The two leads really nail the characters. I'm really looking forward to Season 2.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Did anyone watch Episodes (first episode of it was last night I think)?

A show about a British couple who write a comedy that wins a bunch of awards, at which point some Holywood exec's come along, persuade them to come to America to re-write it for an American audience, and force them to have Matt LeBlanc star in it.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Father Ted was just a ridiculously charming show. Half the jokes would never have passed if they'd been delivered by other characters.

It's a shame Graham Linehan will never hit that high again. Black Books is pretty good, and The IT Crowd has its moments, but they don't even come close. Not that they're trying to; they're much more cynical and all. Still, too bad.

I agree, as time goes by his stuff has become less and less funny. I enjoy the IT crowd, but for the most part it's...meh, particularly the later series. There's more or less nothing that really defines the programme now - the actual running an IT department, nerd jokes etc, just gets ignored so that they can go off on a surreal adventure.

Also Linehan is terribly dull in interviews.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of the best gameshows (and probably a great candidate for the TV Shows that died too early thread) was Time Commanders. Presented by Richard Hammond (of Top Gear fame) and using an edited Rome: Total War engine, members of the public would attempt to re-enact famous historical battles. Each team had two 'generals' who had a tactical map and conducted overall strategy and two 'lieutanents' who were responsible for control at a unit level. Could a team of accountants from Slough be able to defeat the Romans at Mons Graupius? Could a family from Ipswich triumph at Gaugamela? Could Mum handle the Companion Cavalry with skill? At the end of every episode you'd get a brief history lesson, and watch a renowned military historian play with blocks, smashing them into each other and throwing them around with childlike glee.

I would love to see new series done using the games that have come out since.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of the best gameshows (and probably a great candidate for the TV Shows that died too early thread) was Time Commanders. Presented by Richard Hammond (of Top Gear fame) and using an edited Rome: Total War engine, members of the public would attempt to re-enact famous historical battles. Each team had two 'generals' who had a tactical map and conducted overall strategy and two 'lieutanents' who were responsible for control at a unit level. Could a team of accountants from Slough be able to defeat the Romans at Mons Graupius? Could a family from Ipswich triumph at Gaugamela? Could Mum handle the Companion Cavalry with skill? At the end of every episode you'd get a brief history lesson, and watch a renowned military historian play with blocks, smashing them into each other and throwing them around with childlike glee.

I would love to see new series done using the games that have come out since.

I only ever saw one team win their battle: A family won the Battle of Samford Bridge by rushing in and not letting the Vikings get their act together, much like King Harold did.

It was also fun to see the team resort to Hollywood tactics like long thin lines of men and watching them get ripped apart.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    facetious wrote: »

Ed Tudor-Pole was ridiculously underrated!

I mean yeah Richard O'Brien was amazing, but Tudor-Pole was perfectly acceptable. He didn't deserve the backlash. Bah!

Also when Stephen Fry puts his hand ion his cheek in that clip I pretty much swooned. Just FYI.

Ed Tudor-Pole's big single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANx3L-N0yU&playnext=1&list=PLDF8855CA1AA09935&index=19

I mention it because it's one of the first I ever owned.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know the following is unlikely to ever hit America, but do people remember that series, where Jeremy Clarkson talked about people who had won the VC (his father in law managed to win one, so considering who Jeremy is, he must have nearly exploded from Joy).

He also did a documentery on The Greatest Raid of All Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgF0R4dhUqk

So much condensed stiff upper lip.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Episodes (first episode of it was last night I think)?

A show about a British couple who write a comedy that wins a bunch of awards, at which point some Holywood exec's come along, persuade them to come to America to re-write it for an American audience, and force them to have Matt LeBlanc star in it.

Yes.

I am not yet convinced. Most of the humour this episode relied on crashingly obvious set-ups, but that could just be getting the necessary exposition out of the way.

If it's going to be funny it's going to rely heavily on the characterisation, and I haven't seen enough of it yet to really judge the performances.

japan on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Robert's Web is pretty good. It's like a middlebrow version of Tosh.0

Deebaser on