Options

Harry Potter actor poses naked

• Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Well Colm Meaney(O'brian) actually seems to do a decent amount of acting in films in the UK.
    Really? That's pretty cool. I've noticed him in quite a few films in the US, too...though I think a lot were either pre-TNG or during it. Stuff like Far and Away, Last of the Mohicans, or The Commitments. Basically bit/supporting parts as "guy with Irish accent." He seems like a pretty decent actor, though.
    Yeah, he shot a mini-series back in my home province a couple of years ago. He was one of the main characters in this though.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't see how this guy is going to be able to play Harry until the Deathly Hallows film, which should be out in 2010.
    Although a lot of teen movies do have 30 year olds playing high schoolers so what do I know...

Sam on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I don't see how this guy is going to be able to play Harry until the Deathly Hallows film, which should be out in 2010.
    Although a lot of teen movies do have 30 year olds playing high schoolers so what do I know...

As do a lot of TV shows. It's not uncommon. The suspension of disbelief shouldn't be too difficult, considering he's been playing the part since he was a kid. Make-up and lighting can go a long way, too.

Actually, I think the average age of an actor/actress playing a 16-17 year old is more like 23 or 24.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Pants Man wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    He isn't posing naked. he has a nude scene in a play... Not sure why this is such a big deal.

cuz he's a skinny-ass underage (in the US) movie mega star who acts in a movie franchise directed towards children.

and now he's gettin' nekkid and all the little kids are gonna go "mommy, why is harry potter getting his junk out and showing it to a horse?"

i personally don't acre; it's not like it's a movie, where kids will sneak in to see it just because he's in it. it's a long boring stage play which kids won't probably care about because it's a long boring stage play. the part that annoys me is that he's only doing this to get some street cred, which is fine, but it's just so obvious and fake.

"IN A SHOCKING NEW ROLE, LAMB CHOP IS DEBBIE IN 'DEBBIE DOES DALLAS'!!!!!"

So starring in a children's movie when you're a child precludes the prospect of taking sexually explicit roles?
    I don't see how this is any more fake than any other actor taking the part. It's actually pretty brave, considering the fact that he's striving for recognition without capitalizing on his existing family friendly image, and putting said image (and the prospects that come with it) at risk.

I can picture girls (maybe some wand loving male fans too) going to see this just for his nude scene though.

Sam on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Equus is an awesome play.

People who are bothered by it shouldn't go to the show.

Just kidding. People who are bothered by retarded things don't go to plays anyway. They should just shut up.
    I saw the Richard Burton movie on public TV when I lived in England. It was like "Welcome, American boy, to a world without an FCC"

Heh.

I've only read it.

I've only read it, and I greatly enjoyed it, too. I'd love to see it performed.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Chick is 24.

And a nude scene in a play isnt a bad way to shed an image. The Fact that its a play and a well respected play at that is a step in the right direction.

As well, the number of people that will actualy see you nude will be very small.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Jonathan Frakes does crappy shows on SciFi

Don't forget Roswell...producer, director, and played his washed-up ex-Star-Trek star self. On the other hand, maybe it's better to forget Roswell.

I actually really liked season 1 of Roswell. Season 2 and 3 were pretty much utter crap.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Well, he'll only be what, 20 when they film it? 21 when it premiers? It shouldn't be that hard for him to play a 17-year-old at that point. Hell, look at Smallville. Guy that plays Clark Kent was 24 when the series premiered. Yeah, he didn't look like a 15-year-old, but he still looked like a teenager at least.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    "Abra Kadabra... Alakaza...ugh...rgh..fffrrgh!"

...."Daniel what the hell are yo.... OH MY GOD GET AWAY FROM THAT HORSE!!"

Is that a magic wand in your pocket or are you just happy to see me :winky:.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    "Abra Kadabra... Alakaza...ugh...rgh..fffrrgh!"

...."Daniel what the hell are yo.... OH MY GOD GET AWAY FROM THAT HORSE!!"

Is that a magic wand in your pocket or are you just happy to see me :winky:.
    :lol:
    borat.jpg

Johannen on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Won't someone think of all the Fan fiction this will spawn! Harry/Centaur shippers will be going into creative overdrive.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Well Colm Meaney(O'brian) actually seems to do a decent amount of acting in films in the UK.

Really? That's pretty cool. I've noticed him in quite a few films in the US, too...though I think a lot were either pre-TNG or during it. Stuff like Far and Away, Last of the Mohicans, or The Commitments. Basically bit/supporting parts as "guy with Irish accent." He seems like a pretty decent actor, though.
    I loved him in Layer Cake.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Remember that scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

"It always comes back to that fucking pie!"

"Dude, you fucked a pie."

Replace pie with horse and you have the next generation of this joke.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Apart from doing classy nude plays, Radcliffe is also doing indie Australian flicks that no one will ever watch. The guy knows how to branch out.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Low Key wrote:
    Apart from doing classy nude plays, Radcliffe is also doing indie Australian flicks that no one will ever watch. The guy knows how to branch out.

Hey, not the worst idea. Get paid some "Harry Potter money" and you can spend the rest of your life doing pretty much whatever...I'm sure he got paid a fuckload more to play Harry Potter than Jason Biggs got paid to fuck a pie.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fallingman wrote:
    Good for him, breaking out of his typecast as the boy wizard. That could destroy a career.

I can imagine him having a daily routine of getting up, shower, shave, walking past a picture of Mark Hamil and chanting "I will not end up like you. I will not end up like you!"
    Hm...

"You killed my career!"
    "No. I am your career!"

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

Hey, not the worst idea. Get paid some "Harry Potter money" and you can spend the rest of your life doing pretty much whatever...I'm sure he got paid a fuckload more to play Harry Potter than Jason Biggs got paid to fuck a pie.

Personally I bet it's got less to do with wanting more challenging roles and more to do with realising that being remembered as the little kid with the glasses and the stupid hair will never get him invited to the playboy mansion. Getting buff, naked and assaulting horses on the other hand...

Low Key on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn I was hoping this was about the girl who plays Hermonie. Or Ron.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Has anyone pointed out how "Mary Poppins" flashed her boobs to ensure she wasn't typecast yet?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Has anyone pointed out how "Mary Poppins" flashed her boobs to ensure she wasn't typecast yet?

Mary Poppins was played by an actor?

That's like saying Luke Skywalker wasn't the guy's real name.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Man, don't dis luke. Luke did Jack Nickelson's voice in that Bruce Wayne cartoon.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Man, don't dis luke. Luke did Jack Nickelson's voice in that Bruce Wayne cartoon.

Hamill was a better Joker than Nicholson. In fact, when I think of the Joker talking, I think of Mark.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Low Key wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

Personally I bet it's got less to do with wanting more challenging roles and more to do with realising that being remembered as the little kid with the glasses and the stupid hair will never get him invited to the playboy mansion. Getting buff, naked and assaulting horses on the other hand...

A lot of serious actors aren't that rich at all. I don't see how it's fair to assume he'd take Jason Biggs roles if he didn't have his paychecks from Harry Potter. It's not like actors that only do theatre aren't talented.

Sam on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sif no Hermione.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Hamill was a better Joker than Nicholson. In fact, when I think of the Joker talking, I think of Mark.

As do I.

Better role than he had in Star Wars as far as I'm concerned.

Best Joker Ever.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Colm Meaney was great in a fairly recent Irish indie movie called Intermission, a highly amusing slice-of-life/caper flick (slice-of-caper?) which I commend to any fans of Go or Bottle Rocket. It's also got Kelley Macdonald, the schoolgirl from Trainspotting, who just keeps getting hotter, and also (to wrench the thread back on topic) Shirley Henderson, who played Moaning Myrtle.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shirley Henderson is like, 40.

Which suprised the hell out of me when I tried to find out if she was the same person who played Moaning Myrtle after watching that episode of Dr. Who where she gets turned into a talking sidewalk tile.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote:

Which suprised the hell out of me when I tried to find out if she was the same person who played Moaning Myrtle after watching that episode of Dr. Who where she gets turned into a talking sidewalk tile.

Holy crap.. You're right, she was born in 1965..

Cripes; between the ghost effect, makeup and hollywood magic, I totally believed she was a teenager. Crikey!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Patrick Stewart has done a lot of good voice work, too...and even a couple non-X-Men film roles.
    More than just a couple. And glancing over it, they're not even including his theatric career.

Glal on
  • Options
    OverlardOverlard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote:

Holy crap.. You're right, she was born in 1965..

Cripes; between the ghost effect, makeup and hollywood magic, I totally believed she was a teenager. Crikey!
    I know the girl who was one of the final three narrowed down for the role. I think she was 20 at the time (and looked younger). Giving it to someone who looks in their 30s was weird.

And I think Daniel Radcliffe realises he needs to branch out while he can. He's not a very good actor, so he needs the experience and exposure if he wants to have a decent career beyond Potter 7.

Overlard on
    mario.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That girl from White Oleander and Matchstick Men creeps me out in her ability to play different ages, although I know she's at the right age to pull it off.

When I saw the pic I was like, man, I wish I had a hot naked 24-yr-old at my back and reaching for my goods when I was 17.

I don't think Radcliffe was ever in too much danger of type-casting. For one, Harry Potter was a sensation before he was ever cast, and millions of people were all paying attention to him as "the actor who's going to blah blah blah" long before we actually saw him play the role, so it isn't quite the same as Mark Hammill, whose image blasted into everyone's head as this new and unprecedentedly awesome character before we even knew the actor's name. Also, Radcliffe isn't a total charicature or anything, he looks like a normal guy. Take off the glasses and add a few years and he's good for any role. Kind of like Doogie Howser or something, you hardly even notice it's him these days.

I think Hermione is more in danger. As soon as she hits 18 she really needs to do the clichéd, 'I-just-wanted-to-show-I'm-not-a-child-anymore" role. Showgirls 2?

Yar on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Kind of like Doogie Howser or something, you hardly even notice it's him these days.

Man, what? I see Neil Patrick Harris and all I can think is, "hey look! it's Doogie!"
    I think Hermione is more in danger. As soon as she hits 18 she really needs to do the clichéd, 'I-just-wanted-to-show-I'm-not-a-child-anymore" role. Showgirls 2?

I'm trying to figure out in my head if it'd be worth it. I mean...Showgirls. Ugh.
    Glal wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    Patrick Stewart has done a lot of good voice work, too...and even a couple non-X-Men film roles.
    More than just a couple. And glancing over it, they're not even including his theatric career.

Um...glancing over that nearly everything since Star Trek has been voice work. I noticed maybe seven or eight non-X-men/Star Trek roles in movies. I mean, the list is long but you've got bit TV appearances, voice work (including video game voice work) and Star Trek film listen there too. Take all those out, and you're left with X-men and a few others. In like thirteen years. I don't really count X-men because to me it wasn't much of a departure from Star Trek and didn't do anything to help break the typecasting.

I'm not saying he isn't successful, or isn't a good actor. And I know he's done some stage acting as well (and been successful there). It just seems that like pretty much any other Star Trek actor, there isn't much use for him on the screen except as basically-himself or as Picard-but-not. Not his fault, mind you...it's the audience's.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Showgirls 2: The British Invasion
    mcdermott wrote:
    I'm not saying he isn't successful, or isn't a good actor. And I know he's done some stage acting as well (and been successful there). It just seems that like pretty much any other Star Trek actor, there isn't much use for him on the screen except as basically-himself or as Picard-but-not. Not his fault, mind you...it's the audience's.
    I think he's always considered stage acting his first love and real career, so probably isn't too concerned about how he's perceived in his film work.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DeepQantas wrote:
    Fallingman wrote:
    Good for him, breaking out of his typecast as the boy wizard. That could destroy a career.

I can imagine him having a daily routine of getting up, shower, shave, walking past a picture of Mark Hamil and chanting "I will not end up like you. I will not end up like you!"
    Hm...

"You killed my career!"
    "No. I am your career!"
    :^:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    I think he's always considered stage acting his first love and real career, so probably isn't too concerned about how he's perceived in his film work.

Oh, I agree. I basically think of him as a stage actor as well, who happened to have a couple notable roles on-screen. I always thought he seemed a bit overqualified for Star Trek...but I don't think he or the show suffered for it. I don't think stage actors have to deal with the same level of typecasting bullshit as TV/movie actors.

I will say it must be nice as a stage actor to have all that Star Trek and X-Men money to pay the bills.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Steamboat WilleySteamboat Willey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I had a monocle I'm fairly sure it would have fallen in my drink when I saw "Driving lessons". Rupert Grint in a film with swearing and sex! :shock:
    But I suppose they have to grow up, and boy are they growing up! First, Grint gets Driving lessons, now Radcliffe does this! I can't wait to see where Emma Watson goes :twisted:

Steamboat Willey on
    Its all good fun until someone loses an eye.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:

Oh, I agree. I basically think of him as a stage actor as well, who happened to have a couple notable roles on-screen. I always thought he seemed a bit overqualified for Star Trek...but I don't think he or the show suffered for it. I don't think stage actors have to deal with the same level of typecasting bullshit as TV/movie actors.

I will say it must be nice as a stage actor to have all that Star Trek and X-Men money to pay the bills.
    It's funny, he originally didn't want the role of Picard, but his agent convinced him the show wouldn't take off, and he should take it for some quick and easy money.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man.

I hope someone takes pictures.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:

He was in a limited run fo a Christmas Carol a few yeasrs back. I'd have liked to see him as Scrooge

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.