As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unique Locations and Strange Places!

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
3.jpg

The Door to Hell - Uzbekistan

A natural gas vein that has been burning for about 35 years from a failed oil expedition.

strange-places-eye-africa.jpg

The Eye of Africa - Mauritania

strange-places-saltflats.jpg

Salar De Uyuni - Bolivia

Worlds largest salt flat, and despite the presence of water it is completely undrinkable.

colored-earth-mauritius.jpg.jpg

The Coloured Earth - Mauritius

jungleroomx on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcC_g1wPovM

Victoria Falls. I'd love to go there.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    centraliapa_realsilenthill.jpg

Centralia, PA. The real life Silent Hill.
    Wiki wrote:
    Centralia is a borough and ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005,[1] 9 in 2007, and 7 in 2010[2] as a result of a mine fire burning beneath the borough since 1962. Centralia is now the least-populous municipality in Pennsylvania, with four fewer residents than the borough of S.N.P.J.

Early History
    Johnathan Faust opened Bull's Head Tavern in 1841 in what was then Roaring Creek Township. In 1854, Alexander W. Rea, a civil and mining engineer for the Locust Mountain Coal and Iron Company, moved to the site and laid out streets and lots for development. The town was known as Centreville until 1865. There was another Centreville in Schuylkill County, however, and the Post Office would not allow a second one, so Rea renamed his village Centralia.[3]

Centralia was incorporated as a borough in 1866. The anthracite coal industry was the principal employer in the community. Coal mining continued in Centralia until the 1960s, when most of the companies went out of business. Bootleg mining continued until 1982. Strip and open-pit mining is still active in the area, and there is an underground mine employing about 40 people three miles to the west.
    Centralia area showing conditions before mine fire

The borough was also a hotbed of Molly Maguires activity during the 1860s and 1870s. The borough's founder, Alexander Rea, was one of the victims of the secret order when he was murdered just outside of the borough on October 17, 1868.[4] Three individuals were convicted of the crime and hanged in the county seat of Bloomsburg, on March 25, 1878. Several other murders and arsons also occurred during this period.

The borough was served by two railroads, the Philadelphia and Reading and the Lehigh Valley, with the Lehigh Valley being the principal carrier. Rail service ended in 1966. The borough operated its own school district with elementary schools and a high school within its precincts. There were also two Catholic parochial schools in the borough. The borough once had seven churches, five hotels, twenty-seven saloons, two theatres, a bank, a post office, and 14 general and grocery stores. During most of the borough's history, when coal mining activity was being conducted, the town had a population in excess of 2,000 residents. Another 500 to 600 residents lived in areas immediately adjacent to Centralia.[1]

Mine Fire
    This was a world where no human could live, hotter than the planet Mercury, its atmosphere as poisonous as Saturn's. At the heart of the fire, temperatures easily exceeded 1,000 degrees [Fahrenheit]. Lethal clouds of carbon monoxide and other gases swirled through the rock chambers.[3] - David DeKok (1986)

It is not known for certain how the fire that made Centralia essentially uninhabitable was ignited. One theory asserts that in May 1962, the Centralia Borough Council hired five members of the volunteer fire company to clean up the town landfill, located in an abandoned strip-mine pit next to the Odd Fellows Cemetery. This had been done prior to Memorial Day in previous years, when the landfill was in a different location. The firefighters, as they had in the past, set the dump on fire and let it burn for a time. Unlike in previous years, however, the fire was not extinguished correctly.

Other evidence supports this theory, as stated in Joan Quigley's 2007 missive, such as the fact that a trash hauler dumped hot ash and/or coal discarded from coal burners into the open trash pit. The borough, by law, was responsible for installing a fire-resistant clay barrier between each layer, but fell behind schedule, leaving the barrier partly incomplete. This allowed the hot coals to penetrate the vein of coal underneath the pit and light the subsequent subterranean fire. Quigley cites "interviews with volunteer firemen, the former fire chief, borough officials, and several eyewitnesses, as well as contemporaneous borough council minutes" as her sources for this explanation of the fire.[5] Another theory of note is the Bast Theory. It states that the fire was burning long before the alleged trash dump fire. However, due to overwhelmingly contrary evidence, few hold this position, and it is given little credibility.[5]

The fire remained burning underground and spread through a hole in the rock pit into the abandoned coal mines beneath Centralia. Attempts to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful, and it continued to burn throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Adverse health effects were reported by several people due to the byproducts of the fire, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and a lack of healthy oxygen levels.

In 1979, locals became aware of the scale of the problem when a gas-station owner and then mayor, John Coddington, inserted a stick into one of his underground tanks to check the fuel level. When he withdrew it, it seemed hot, so he lowered a thermometer down on a string and was shocked to discover that the temperature of the gasoline in the tank was 172 °F (77.8 °C). Statewide attention to the fire began to increase, culminating in 1981 when 12-year-old resident Todd Domboski fell into a sinkhole four feet wide by 150 feet (46 m) deep that suddenly opened beneath his feet in a backyard. Only the quick work of his cousin Eric Wolfgang in pulling Todd out of the hole saved Todd's life, as the plume of hot steam billowing from the hole was measured as containing a lethal level of carbon monoxide.

In 1984, the U.S. Congress allocated more than $42 million for relocation efforts. Most of the residents accepted buyout offers and moved to the nearby communities of Mount Carmel and Ashland. A few families opted to stay despite warnings from Pennsylvania officials.

In 1992, Pennsylvania governor Bob Casey claimed eminent domain on all properties in the borough, condemning all the buildings within. A subsequent legal effort by residents to have the decision reversed failed. In 2002, the U.S. Postal Service revoked Centralia's ZIP code, 17927. In 2009, Governor Ed Rendell began the formal eviction of Centralia residents. He is facing criticism from some for this move.[1][6]

Today
    Very few homes remain standing in Centralia; most of the abandoned buildings have been demolished by humans or nature. At a casual glance, the area now appears to be a field with many paved streets running through it. Some areas are being filled with new-growth forest. The remaining church in the borough, St. Mary's, holds weekly services on Sunday and has not yet been directly affected by the fire.[citation needed] The town's four cemeteries—including one on the hilltop that has smoke rising around and out of it—are maintained in good condition.[citation needed] There is also a notice board posted near Hammie Hill, about 500 yards from the cemetery, protesting the evictions and demanding Governor Rendell intervene. It is expected that the sign will be updated when Tom Corbett becomes governor in January 2011.

The only indications of the fire, which underlies some 400 acres (1.6 km²) spreading along four fronts, are low round metal steam vents in the south of the borough and several signs warning of underground fire, unstable ground, and carbon monoxide. Additional smoke and steam can be seen coming from an abandoned portion of Pennsylvania Route 61, the area just behind the hilltop cemetery, and other cracks in the ground scattered about the area. Route 61 was repaired several times until its final closing. The current route was a detour around the damaged portion during the repairs and became a permanent route in 1993; mounds of dirt were placed at both ends of the former route, effectively blocking the road. Pedestrian traffic is still possible due to a small opening about two feet wide at the north side of the road, but this is muddy and not accessible to the disabled. The underground fire is still burning and will continue to do so for an estimated 250-1000 more years.[7]

Prior to their demolition in September 2007, the last remaining house on Locust Avenue was notable for the five chimney-like support buttresses along each of two opposite sides of the house, where the house was previously supported by a row of adjacent buildings before it was demolished. Another house with similar buttresses was visible from the northern side of the cemetery, just north of the burning, partially subsumed hillside.[8]

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania did not renew the relocation contract at the end of 2005, and the fate of the remaining residents is uncertain.[9]

In 2009, John Comarnisky and John Lokitis Jr, were both evicted in May and July, respectively. In 2010, only five homes remain as state officials try to vacate the remaining residents and demolish what's left of the town. As of May, the remaining residents are mounting another legal effort to reverse the 1992 eminent domain claim; they are currently awaiting a jury to begin proceedings.[10]

It is expected that many former residents will return in 2016 to open a time capsule buried in 1966 next to the veterans' memorial.[1]

This gets posted around here a lot but it's still worth a mention. I'm totally going someday.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LoklarLoklar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This reminds me of "Urban Exploration"

It's when people sneak into old buildings in their community to see what is going on. In Toronto there's an old church that burned down ~10 years ago that still has stone steps up the steeple and a little area cleared for gatherings. Creative graffiti, a shopping cart and all kinds of stuff that you can hurt yourself on.

It's not nearly as spectacular as the pics in the OP. But it's a bit of uniqueness that can be found close to your neighbourhood.

Loklar on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Lake Manyara National Park, where this is common:
    liontree.jpg

agentk13 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I discovered this site recently: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

A lot of it isn't necessarily interesting locations, just HDR making everything look better than it normally does, but this one in particular is awesome:

1043853869vdupvxl.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

A lot of it isn't necessarily interesting locations, just HDR making everything look better than it normally does, but this one in particular is awesome:

Cool. Where is it? Cesky raj?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kowloon Walled City. A place that used to exist in Hong Kong.

5r68urt56utr6u.jpg

A ghastly place made up of only a few city blocks. The city was controller by neither the British nor the Chinese, and so just kind of grew all by itself. It became a safe haven for refugees, people without a state, and criminals. When it was torn down in 1993 an estimated 50,000 people lived there. They built and maintained absolutely everything themselves.

6r78it5r6utr6u.jpg
    r6tr67uer7u6.jpg
    685r75r7.jpg
    tr67iudtr6ur6u.jpg
    t67uer5u.jpg

The entire place looks like some kind of Cyberpunk prison complex.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Centralia is pretty spooky. I drove through there frequently for years.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Naica Crystal Cave in Mexico is absolutely beautiful.
    070409-crystal-cave.jpg
    It doesn't really look like it belongs on Earth.

Starcross on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kaliyama wrote: »

Cool. Where is it? Cesky raj?

According to the website it's in China?

Here's another place, though. Giant towers of dirt.

87907295-0216371166.jpg

ID16_san-juan-y-sierra-de-las-quijadas-491da056e0042.jpg

While it's difficult to get to, it's deserted and beautiful.

adytum on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    rtw_2004.1248349629.1_dolly-sods.jpg

I have always like Dolly Sods in WV. It's the highest plateu east of the Mississippi and a lot of the trees only have branches on one side because of the wind.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There was a site that's no longer updated that used to have a lot of abandoned structure pictures on it.

http://www.artificialowl.net/

It has everything from shipwrecks, to vehicle graveyards, to abandoned buildings. The site is really frustrating to navigate, but the photos can be breathtaking.

One thing that AO has is pictures from Prypiat, which is the town next to Chernobyl.

145_Pripyat_amusement_park_1282237024.jpg

I've also always liked the Maunsell Forts
    They were forts built in the Channel during WWII to serve as early notice/anti aircraft for the UK.

Maunsell%20Army%20Sea%20Forts22.jpg

There's also a complete somewhat modern abandoned city somewhere in Cyprus.
    Here's a blog link to that city: http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/000985.html

Detroit also has some pretty choice things too. There's a slideshow that's pretty neat on Time
    http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1882089,00.html

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In Egypt, there are a lot of abandoned and decaying mud brick cities. Nature is slowly eating them away, as nobody is keeping them up anymore. It's a shame, because other North African countries (specifically Morocco) have maintained and modernized their historical neighborhoods and the result is truly fascinating; Egypt decided to build concrete projects and abandon the mud brick cities completely.

There are a few out in the countryside that are still inhabited, and one or two that have been preserved as tourist destinations, but many are slowly decaying to the wind and moisture of the desert. I suspect those that are left will slowly be fazed out as well.

adytum on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kowloon Walled City is something I never knew existed. Pretty interesting.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kowloon Walled City is a place I wish I could have seen before they went and wrecked it all. For good reason, but still. So cool.

as for my contribution:
    socotra-yemen.jpg

Socotra Island. It sits off the East coast of India. An estimated 1/3rd of its plant life is found nowhere else on the entire planet.

Socotra_Island_15.jpg
    Socotra-Island-in-Yemen_Great-scenery_1575.jpg

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Jesus. That looks like you should be fighting aliens underneath those things.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Starcross wrote: »
    070409-crystal-cave.jpg

This is melting though! The crystals don't like being exposed to the air, so apparently they're trying to convince the mining company to reflood the place.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Kowloon Walled City. A place that used to exist in Hong Kong.

5r68urt56utr6u.jpg

A ghastly place made up of only a few city blocks. The city was controller by neither the British nor the Chinese, and so just kind of grew all by itself. It became a safe haven for refugees, people without a state, and criminals. When it was torn down in 1993 an estimated 50,000 people lived there. They built and maintained absolutely everything themselves.

The entire place looks like some kind of Cyberpunk prison complex.
    Was this the same place in Shenmu 2?

I wish I could go back and see this place for myself. It was prolly disgusting on the inside but damn, its like a borg ship...

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    070409-crystal-cave.jpg

This is melting though! The crystals don't like being exposed to the air, so apparently they're trying to convince the mining company to reflood the place.

what kind of crystals are they?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    070409-crystal-cave.jpg

what kind of crystals are they?

Selenite, which is apparently gypsum, which is apparent (CaSO4·2H2O)

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it just me or is the Victoria Falls video hilariously gay?

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it just me or is the Victoria Falls video hilariously gay?

It is just you.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe he means how it's two guys? From some other videos of it, I assume tourists usually have a guide there with them. Which is sensible, because... well, you kinda don't want to jump into water at the edge of a waterfall unless you know you're in the right spot.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I really need to visit Yellowstone. You know, before the volcano erupts and blasts the US off the map.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Great Blue Hole, Belize:

strangeplacesbluehole.jpg

Death Valley:

deathvalleyracetracks2.jpg

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Death Valley:
    Racetrack Playa, specifically.

Wikipedia has another great panorama that I'll just link:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/Deathvalleysky_nps_big.jpg

I'm not sure why, but images of the night sky over a desert just get to me. I could stare at them for hours.

Also, I feel a little weird recognizing a place that I've never been anywhere near.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had that night sky picture as a background for so long.

i don't have anything like this....

well ok, the White Horse and Caerne giant in England, along with maiden Castle, avesbury stone circle.

but i'm lazy to get pictures.

but the white horse that I got to see was right near Dragonmount, the hill/mountain in england where St. George was believed to have killed the dragon, because nothing grows on top.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I live in Imperial County, California.

Picture of Bombay Beach dried out marina.

Bombay Beach, and a couple other towns that border the Salton Sea, have issues with the water level changing. It swallowed up some trailers and buildings, forcing people to abandon them. Then, the water receded. This has left behind a crust of hardened salty, mud, with wet mud beneath. Fish bones and chemicals literal the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Mountains The Chocolate Mountains are named for their dark coloring, which is produced from the fact that they are made of iron oxide, so they are covered in rust. On the flater pieces of land, old Indian trails that have been there for centuries stretch this way and that. There are also places where petroglyphs were made in the ground.

http://www.salvationmountain.us/ Salvation Mountain is literally a man-made monument to a man's belief that God wants him to create the monument in the middle of Imperial County. It is a neat place, and I walked the Yellow Brick Road to the top, too.

Sky on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Jesus. That looks like you should be fighting aliens underneath those things.

Yep. Pretty sure I've seen Warhammer 40K terrain looking exactly like those three plants.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sky wrote: »
    I live in Imperial County, California.

Picture of Bombay Beach dried out marina.

Bombay Beach, and a couple other towns that border the Salton Sea, have issues with the water level changing. It swallowed up some trailers and buildings, forcing people to abandon them. Then, the water receded. This has left behind a crust of hardened salty, mud, with wet mud beneath. Fish bones and chemicals literal the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Mountains The Chocolate Mountains are named for their dark coloring, which is produced from the fact that they are made of iron oxide, so they are covered in rust. On the flater pieces of land, old Indian trails that have been there for centuries stretch this way and that. There are also places where petroglyphs were made in the ground.

http://www.salvationmountain.us/ Salvation Mountain is literally a man-made monument to a man's belief that God wants him to create the monument in the middle of Imperial County. It is a neat place, and I walked the Yellow Brick Road to the top, too.

That salvation mountain place was in the movie into the wild.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All these locations look amazing, but they also look like some long forgotten creatures may come from them at any moment.

The Great Blue Hole is just missing some giant claw or tentacle popping out and dragging that boat down to its dark hole.

I've watched too much sci fi.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Be careful with your wishes...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

ACSIS on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Be careful with your wishes...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

I didn't really need another reason to believe the ocean is terrifying but hey there one is!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For those that haven't already, I highly suggest checking out Undercity, run by self-proclaimed "urban historian" Steve Duncan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWF3IDk9Gek

Dram on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    also, salt plains, freaky.

I went to some out in Oklahoma far too many years ago to admit to.

it's a vast expanse of white that seems like it should end in water. somewhere there should be water. out there, on the horizon. water.

but no, no water. it's just freaky.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    For those that haven't already, I highly suggest checking out Undercity, run by self-proclaimed "urban historian" Steve Duncan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWF3IDk9Gek

Really really amazing video, thank you.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    There's always Serengeti, the "endless plain," named for the fact that its rich soil is so shallow that trees can't grow in enough density to block the horizon (when it's not blocked by the oceanic rippling of the topography):
    serengeti_leopard.jpg

agentk13 on
  • Options
    tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vietnam's Hong Son Doong's cave network. Big enough in some areas to fit a half mile block of 40-story buildings:

cave1.jpg

and house it's own jungle:

cave2.jpg

Check out a bunch of other amazing pics I can't link over from the source National Geographic page:
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]