As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I don't wanna [CHAT] I wanna tank LFD all day.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    The only one I have an issue with is scarab lord. Because it was awarded to a small sect of people for what was a server wide effort and most of the scarab lords were the uber douche of douches.

I was thinking today that there should have been other neat titles for doing a lot for that quest chain or the war effort stuff

Nerdgasmic on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Apparently all the people with nostalgia boners for C'thun wiping repressed any memories they had of late AQ40 trash.

What late AQ40 trash? I've seen people speak of how bad it was before, but I don't remember what they are talking about. I never actually got to attempt C'thun because when we got to him Naxxramas came out and we stopped raiding AQ40 almost entirely. I do remember us running in and having him kill us, just to see him.

I remember beating the Twin Emps and being able to immediately run into C'thuns room after a long hallway. Were there mobs in there? The only ones I can think of are after Fangkriss(he was the centipede dude after the long gauntley of bugs, right) and before the Twin Emps that were the giant Egyptian looking guys that dropped meteor and what not.

In that hallway are lots of trash packs; they're the ones everyone bitches about. However, they don't respawn, so you only have to clear them once per raid reset.

Not sure how you don't remember there being mobs there :?

I'll have to go back there and see them again I suppose. We killed Twin Emps twice I think before Naxxramas came out and started doing Naxx instead. I remember running into C'thuns room. It was either I didn't think they were that bad, or that we just ran past them to get to C'thuns room.

Buddies on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    Freezing Trap: 78 second duration, 24 second cooldown, can be launched anywhere, works on any mob.
    Wyvern Sting: 30 second duration, 60 second cooldown, works on any mob.

That means with Freezing Trap alone I can comfortably CC 2 mobs forever and 3 mobs in dire circumstances; with Freezing + Wyvern Sting I can CC almost an entire pack. And if the mob isn't completely immune to CC, then it's my bitch.

I can't wait.

You can only use Freezing Trap on one mob. If you put it on another mob before the first one breaks, then the first one will break as soon as you trap the second mob.

But yea, you can CC 2 Mobs with ease with trap and Wyvern Sting.

You're shitting me. That's... very sad =/

In Classic/TBC you could have a 36ish second duration Freezing Trap with a 45ish second cooldown; enough to maintain two frozen mobs for a long time if you juggled them. I remember doing this quite a bit in Heroic Hillsbrad, among other places.

Catching up on thread, texted my hunter friend, and he tells me that while it would break the trap in BC/Wrath, you can double trap now.

Also, I enjoyed the Ouro/C'Thun/Twin Emps fights. I still have my pimp hat from Ouro. The C'Thun trash can die in a goosey fire though.

It's the first thing I'm testing when I get home, heh.

Rius on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    The only one I have an issue with is scarab lord. Because it was awarded to a small sect of people for what was a server wide effort and most of the scarab lords were the uber douche of douches.

I was thinking today that there should have been other neat titles for doing a lot for that quest chain or the war effort stuff

One of the things I really liked about WAR during my tour of duty in that game was the Tome of Lore or whatever it was, and all the minor achievements and funny little titles you could get along with them.

Bobble on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, a CC discussion. I like how this is the "we want you to use CC in heroics again" expansion, but then they'll make pulls that are like nothing but elementals and/or dragonkin, which like 6 classes have no way to CC.

forty on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They should let you CC anything with any spell.

"Did you just turn that fire elemental into a sheep?"
    "Yup."
    "How the hell did you pull that off?"
    "Magic."
    "But-"
    "MAGIC!"

Also, let every race be every class.

reVerse on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, a CC discussion. I like how this is the "we want you to use CC in heroics again" expansion, but then they'll make pulls that are like nothing but elementals and/or dragonkin, which like 6 classes have no way to CC.

People forget sap, but it can now sap dragonkin and demons.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm not certain whether to be relieved or annoyed that Shackle Undead is useless this expansion.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another bone to pick with this expansion: spells/abilities not working in situations where they should as dictated by their tooltip.

Case in point: H Deadmines - Big Ogres? Can't sap them. They're humanoids, non-bosses, but nope, no Sap for you. In fact, we couldn't find a way to CC them at all. Ditto some of the other humanoids in that instance.

Cloak of Shadows seems to work fine on some NPC magical abilities, not so much for others. Some of the fire elementals in H BRC? Nope. You're still eating all of that fire damage.

Hey, it's a channeled spell, I'll just kick it and that should take ca--oh, no, wait, it didn't work.

Halfmex on
    edited January 2011
    they need to add a second, NPC-only Mind Control that works like Enslave Demon

Nerdgasmic on
    edited January 2011
    korodullin wrote: »

I'm not certain whether to be relieved or annoyed that Shackle Undead is useless this expansion.

Not for heroic SFK it isn't. Though from the priests I had you'd assume it was.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011

Not for heroic SFK it isn't. Though from the priests I had you'd assume it was.

Well for most trash it's not exceptionally useful, since tight quarters end up having it broken more often than not. It's nice for Springvale, but that's about it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know how many times I had to point out to priests and shamans that they had shackle/bind elemental.

So many of them straight up didn't know. Not even like "oh hadn't used that in awhile"; just "what are you talking about?"

EDIT: Granted, bind is new; but still

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did Chimaeron last night on 25.

That fight is fucking intense holy shit.

Ascendant Council RNG however is not fun.

Oghulk on
    edited January 2011
    Well for most trash it's not exceptionally useful, since tight quarters end up having it broken more often than not. It's nice for Springvale, but that's about it.

I dunno I'd say for most of the trash leading post the first boss, till the end of the instance a shackling priest would be useful. They don't even when asked to do so, but it would be nice. The corriders aren't that tight, and you can always back up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2011
    I'll put it this way: I love shackling and do it every opportunity I get. Only problem is that the minute I shackle something, it gets broken practically instantly for one reason or another. I've had tanks go out of their way to break it purposefully and in Wrath I've gotten kicked from Halls of Reflection runs for shackling the annoying hunters that nobody ever picked up.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited January 2011
    I haven't shackled since BC

I think that in retrospect it is one of the reasons why Crypts is one of my favorite instances

Nerdgasmic on
    edited January 2011
    Priests that shackled HoR were my hero, as a pally tank.

It wasn't hard to LoS the rangers if your group wasn't retarded (seriously, there was always a hunter who would take a few potshots for no fucking reason at the ranger), but more often than not it was nice to just have them be out of the way. Also it saved people from frost/freezing traps during the fights.

The Dude With Herpes on

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think that in retrospect it is one of the reasons why Crypts is one of my favorite instances

You can burn in hell.

Seriously. Crypts. Augh.

But I completely agree with everyone saying that when the occasional and rare priest would Shackle the stupid hunter or mage is the most awesome guy ever.
    Also, the rare and occasional Hunter who would trap either one of those.

L Ron Howard on
    edited January 2011
    On the other hand whenever I did HoR as a DPS I would always /facepalm when the brilliant DK tanks would deathgrip the mercs and then bitch about the mages and hunters.

I want to scream every time I see a DK DG a melee mob, while casters just sit back and whittle away at the party; particularly in Cata.

The Dude With Herpes on

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finding out one's, previously deactivated, account was compromised and used more than a year ago sucks :( Now to survey the damage.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited January 2011

People forget sap, but it can now sap dragonkin and demons.
    The party in question didn't have a rogue.

Except in SFK, where everything is undead, so very few CCs work.

forty on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Finding out one's, previously deactivated, account was compromised and used more than a year ago sucks :( Now to survey the damage.

This is the only reason I am playing again; someone texted me that my Hunter was online in the middle of a weekday after 3 years of inactivity. I got my account back and played for 29 days on the Chinese fellow's credit card (blizzard de-linked his payment method but didn't retract the time) and here I am.

A post in VotBS is coming tonight, as well.

Rius on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aegis wrote: »

This is the only reason I am playing again; someone texted me that my Hunter was online in the middle of a weekday after 3 years of inactivity. I got my account back and played for 29 days on the Chinese fellow's credit card (blizzard de-linked his payment method but didn't retract the time) and here I am.

A post in VotBS is coming tonight, as well.

I suppose I shouldn't have spoken too soon. Now the downloader's having connection issues -.-

Aegis on
    Characters
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Case in point: H Deadmines - Big Ogres? Can't sap them. They're humanoids, non-bosses, but nope, no Sap for you. In fact, we couldn't find a way to CC them at all. Ditto some of the other humanoids in that instance.

[...]

well

it seems reasonable that you can't CC certain things. Bosses are the obvious example.

I do wish it was a bit more obvious beforehand though, since anything smaller than a boss usually you find out because it doesn't work and oh shit

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    they could at least be listed as uncategorized

Nerdgasmic on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    exmello wrote: »
    I guess the problem was that MC was only fun/challenging for 3/40 people in the raid, BWL for only 15-20 and the amount of drops per boss for the amount of people in the raid was just sad. I still like that style of progression though. Like Rius said though, C'thun was a blast. I enjoyed smashing our head against him for a month or more before having our guild fall apart, merging with the other top guild and getting him 2nd attempt.

Edit: I don't think attunements were either of those things. They just ensured that you ran the earlier content at least ONCE. It's not like you needed full tier 5 to the next tier content or whatever, you just needed to kill the boss once. You didn't need to farm the heroics, you just needed to do them once.

What the fuck is wrong with some of you?

What kind of self loathing masochists do you have to be to enjoy frustration and misery and guilds falling apart so you can down a fucking boss.

Good fuck.

Every day I don't play wow I see more and more how bad the game has gotten.

This is the sort of person being catered to now.

God.

Actually, this is the sort of person the game ISN'T catered to now. Have you bee reading the conversation? People are complaining because this is how it USED to be and it's not like that anymore. For some reason.

LockedOnTarget on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    End wrote: »

[...]

well

it seems reasonable that you can't CC certain things. Bosses are the obvious example.

I do wish it was a bit more obvious beforehand though, since anything smaller than a boss usually you find out because it doesn't work and oh shit
    Oh no, I'm fine with bosses being immune (honestly it's not like you'd ever need to CC a boss anyway). I'm speaking strictly about trash mobs.

Halfmex on
    edited January 2011

[...]

well

Bosses, yes. Anything beyond big single/double pull mobs? Not really. I found out in a Deadmines PUG that apparently at least one variety of the elite caster type mobs in there is immune to CC (or at least the hunter's Freezing Trap). Just a normal-looking, normal-sized humanoid mob. Pretty chintzy.

forty on
  • martinimartini Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure that caster has a special spell they can use to get out of CC, they're not actually immune to it. I think it makes perfect sense for some mobs to be immune to CC (and the dual ogres are a perfect example of where it makes sense), otherwise the design options are pretty limited.

martini on
    I raised the wall. And I will be the one to knock it down.
    edited January 2011
    Oh right, I forgot, Blizzard's downloader loves to hate any kind of firewall/antivirus program.

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited January 2011

[...]

well

Oh no, I'm fine with bosses being immune (honestly it's not like you'd ever need to CC a boss anyway). I'm speaking strictly about trash mobs.

I don't think it's unreasonable for certain trash to be unCCable either though. Bosses are just an obvious example of (often) humanoids that can't be CCed.

Basically, I don't think it's unreasonable, but I do think it'd be nice if it was more obvious before you pull.

End on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    And Blizzard is doing ye olde transfer bullshit to me again. This time I tried to faction change before the server transfer, but no dice.

Echo on
    edited January 2011
    Bosses, yes. Anything beyond big single/double pull mobs? Not really. I found out in a Deadmines PUG that apparently at least one variety of the elite caster type mobs in there is immune to CC (or at least the hunter's Freezing Trap). Just a normal-looking, normal-sized humanoid mob. Pretty chintzy.

The caster mob example is pretty funny, because those actually have a debuff that says they can't be CCed.

But it's also magic, so you can purge it off.

End on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah, those are actually really simple to CC

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited January 2011

The caster mob example is pretty funny, because those actually have a debuff that says they can't be CCed.

But it's also magic, so you can purge it off.
    Unless you can't (don't have someone who can purge magic in the group).

Just seems silly in an expansion where the devs went out of their way to focus on crowd control.

Halfmex on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is the one thing I hate about Cata - that once you get in the Random LFG (yea yea - PUGS are awwwwwwwwwful) see the instance, you are spending 5 seconds praying for a certain kind of class - TotT: Please let there be a shaman or Ret Pally; Grim Batol - please give me at least a Hunter! I mean you can do any of these instances with any group set up (since we all have CC of some sort) - it's just others are way better and make the instances more enjoyable.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited January 2011
    martini wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that caster has a special spell they can use to get out of CC, they're not actually immune to it. I think it makes perfect sense for some mobs to be immune to CC (and the dual ogres are a perfect example of where it makes sense), otherwise the design options are pretty limited.
    Well, the trap never even appeared on the NPC. It's not like in HToC where the faction champions get CC'd and then break the CC with their "trinkets." There was just no effect at all.

Edit: OK, so it's a buff that prevents stuff from applying in the first place. That still limits your options somewhat depending on comp.

And Deadmines is still too long.
    ED! wrote: »
    I mean you can do any of these instances with any group set up (since we all have CC of some sort) - it's just others are way better and make the instances more enjoyable.
    Two classes have no CC at all, at least one only gets a decent CC if speced for DPS (so none if it's in the group as a healer or tank), and still other CCs are limited on their target type.

forty on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel very spoiled as a warlock, being able to CC three things at once is just well, awesome.

My usual group was a lock, a shaman, a druid, a mage and a priest. We've definitely had entire pulls CCd at once due to miscommunications. :lol:

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2011
    Can someone explain to me what the Warlock CC's are? EDIT: At 85.

I was running something on my warrior a couple weeks ago and the tank was like "sucks we have no CC" but we had a lock in the group and I said something and they just responded like I was insane.

I have a lock, but he's only 53 and I can't think of any of the abilities he has now that would qualify as CC, except Banish.

It'd just be nice to know since I'm really not up on the class.

The Dude With Herpes on

This discussion has been closed.