As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boil it down for me: Computers in 2007

Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
It's been a long time since I was in the market for a computer, so I haven't followed things very closely lately. I keep hearing people pump up the Core 2 Duo, and I'm wondering how it performs in comparison to the A64s (back when I was in, it was almost unanimously AMD > Intel).

Also, how are the Geforce 7000's, especially in the midrange? Is Crossfire worth it yet? How are the drivers doing? etc.

And I guess while I'm here, are ASUS and Abit still generally solid choices for a motherboard? I'm not looking for frills, I just want something that will last me (and I guess hold a stable o/c). I'm running an ASUS P4S800 and it's the weakest link in an otherwise stable and lovely system.

Torso Boy on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Take a look at this thread.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Core 2 Duo is the best processor to get. AMD's new product line may be a better choice, but we don't know that and, more importantly, they're not here yet. Go with a Core 2 Duo. My laptop has one (1.6GHz), and it performs significantly better than my desktop's Athlon64 3000+.

The mid-range of the GeForce7 range is alright for gaming, but it won't wow you. With nVidia's 8xxx line out now and ATi's (or, AMD's) new graphics chipset due to show, mebbe you could find yourself a cheap X1900 variant. That, or go for a GeForce 7900GT.

Edit - Both Asus and Abit are indeed, safe choices when it comes to the motherboard. Just don't skimp and get a budget version.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Torso Boy wrote:
    It's been a long time since I was in the market for a computer, so I haven't followed things very closely lately. I keep hearing people pump up the Core 2 Duo, and I'm wondering how it performs in comparison to the A64s (back when I was in, it was almost unanimously AMD > Intel).

Also, how are the Geforce 7000's, especially in the midrange? Is Crossfire worth it yet? How are the drivers doing? etc.

And I guess while I'm here, are ASUS and Abit still generally solid choices for a motherboard? I'm not looking for frills, I just want something that will last me (and I guess hold a stable o/c). I'm running an ASUS P4S800 and it's the weakest link in an otherwise stable and lovely system.

Intel core2 is better then amd x2.

Geforce 7000's are rock solid mid range, but currently you want geforce 8000 because of DX10, they should get cheap in march.

Asus and Abit are still quality OC boards. Gigabyte and MSI are also decent. DFI is the current top end but finiky, and recently graphics card giant evga (nvidia partner) has been cranking out good nvidia boards.

Memory is still the same players.

crash5s on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Glad to hear Gigabyte is a good mobo, since that's what I happen to have. Of course, I've been wanting to build a new computer so I've been following threads such as this to find out what's good, what's not, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Buy a Mac.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Buy a Mac.

Ahahahahahahaha.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Darmak wrote:

Buy a Mac.

Ahahahahahahaha.

If your hat is made of money an intel mac is not a bad choice. Course for a fraction of the price you can put together something far more powerful on your own.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=429854

Check that out, about $500 US for a good Core 2 Duo system. Of course, if you can wait a few months, there's a new Core 2 Duo chip with a 10x multiplier, which will be cheaper than the E6300 and stock-cooling overclockable to past the most expensive Core 2 Duo out there.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    archonwarp wrote:

Check that out, about $500 US for a good Core 2 Duo system. Of course, if you can wait a few months, there's a new Core 2 Duo chip with a 10x multiplier, which will be cheaper than the E6300 and stock-cooling overclockable to past the most expensive Core 2 Duo out there.
    Story of the personal computer market - if you can wait six months, you'll be able to make a vastly better machine for about the same cost. Only downside is, the same thing remains true six months down the line.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    JihadJesus wrote:
    archonwarp wrote:

Story of the personal computer market - if you can wait six months, you'll be able to make a vastly better machine for about the same cost. Only downside is, the same thing remains true six months down the line.

Actually, the thread i linked doesn't even list the newest budget chip, which is the superior alternative at a much lower price due to its overclocking capabilities. Grab the newer lower-clockspeed-higher-multiplier core 2 duos as they'll let you overclock crazily.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    archonwarp wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    archonwarp wrote:

Actually, the thread i linked doesn't even list the newest budget chip, which is the superior alternative at a much lower price due to its overclocking capabilities. Grab the newer lower-clockspeed-higher-multiplier core 2 duos as they'll let you overclock crazily.
    And I'm guessing an upper-middle-of-the-road ASUS should have good overclocking tools, am I right?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Torso Boy wrote:
    archonwarp wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    archonwarp wrote:

And I'm guessing an upper-middle-of-the-road ASUS should have good overclocking tools, am I right?

Yep. I know the board he linked is supposed to be good for overclocking too.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What's the consensus on the AMD Turion 64 on a laptop versus a Core Duo setup? Been shopping around and seems high end laptops prefer the Turion, but why?

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bombboy wrote:
    What's the consensus on the AMD Turion 64 on a laptop versus a Core Duo setup? Been shopping around and seems high end laptops prefer the Turion, but why?

the core 2 is better then the turion as a chip. However the AMD laptop platform (namely due to graphics support) can edge out the intel one in some cases.

It's also true that only AMD has sli in the laptop sector.

crash5s on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    archonwarp wrote:
    JihadJesus wrote:
    archonwarp wrote:

The chip he's referring to is the E4300 (or it may be the 4200. Regardless it's a 4xxx model), which has a lower multiplier. However, by the same token, if you have a faster FSB with one of the better procs, you get a larger improvement clock for clock. So the E4300 is easier to OC, but if you're going to OC, you can end up with better results with another chip.

Or something like that. I don't OC, so I don't get all the details.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So in getting an AMD based laptop that is SLI capable, might as well fill in the two vid slots or otherwise it would be better to get a comparable Core Duo setup with one nice GeForce Go solution?

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    bombboy wrote:
    So in getting an AMD based laptop that is SLI capable, might as well have fill in the two vid slots or otherwise it would be better to get a comparable Core Duo setup with one nice GeForce Go solution?

For the most part yes.

But if you are going with integrated GFX amd will usually offer the best platform, or if you want SLI.

crash5s on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm looking at building a computer within the next six months. Ideally, I'd like to play Crysis at 1680x1050. I don't need specifics yet, but any idea on what price range I'd be looking at? I'd be building it myself, and I already have a monitor, so those won't factor into the price.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm looking at building a computer within the next six months. Ideally, I'd like to play Crysis at 1680x1050. I don't need specifics yet, but any idea on what price range I'd be looking at? I'd be building it myself, and I already have a monitor, so those won't factor into the price.

maybe $1300 or so

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Hardtarget wrote:

maybe $1300 or so
    I was thinking about $1500, so that's good to know it'll be right in my price-range. Thanks.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg