As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to cut acrylic?

Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've ordered some 1/16" thick 4' X 8' panels of acrylic mirror that I'm going to have to cut into some pretty intricate shapes. (Pie sections, curves, etc).

Is there an easy way to do this?

Previous methods we've used in my lab usually end up with 2 pieces of cracked and ruined acrylic before we get anything useful.

Past methods include.....

1) Scoring with a razor blade for hours

2) Clamping between two two by fours and using a jigsaw

3) Ill fated attempt at using nippers

4) Laser Cutter. However, it means I would have to source smaller sections of acrylic

signaturebighe7.jpg
Akilae729 on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There are saw blades you can buy that are designed to cut acrylic.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    how small are these intricate shapes?

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I came up with a few possible vectors to do it for some stuff I'm planning on doing the near future.

The scoring method can work, but not for intricate shapes obviously. As the previous poster indicated you can also by special blades meant to cut the stuff. I've also found companies such as this this one who use a laser to cut the stuff, and are decently enough priced, as well as stock the material on hand (I think). You can also buy acrylic in liquid form and use molds to make your shapes, though I've heard the cast acrylic doesn't look quite as nice as the commercial grade stuff you can buy.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    how small are these intricate shapes?

As of now they are going to be "pie" sections of a parabolic dish that is 6 ft across. So whatever method I use either has to be able to handle big pieces or I have to lay up a bunch of little sections.

Either pie sections or tons of really thin strips.

I'll check out the acrylic saw blades

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The straight sections of the pie you can score, then use a band saw with a fine blade, 3+ teeth per thickness of material. Coping saw should work as well if you don't have a band saw available. Jig saw if you absolutely have to.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you're going to use a jigsaw, remember that most of the blades for cutting plastics require you to run the saw at a lower speed than usual. If you have a saw without adjustable speed you might struggle.

It's also possible to cut acrylic with a router (again, at low speed), if you aren't concerned about the thickness of the cut.

japan on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Forbe! wrote: »
    The straight sections of the pie you can score, then use a band saw with a fine blade, 3+ teeth per thickness of material. Coping saw should work as well if you don't have a band saw available. Jig saw if you absolutely have to.

Yeah, for anything you can't score I'd go with a coping saw, that's how I put in a cat door on sheet of acrylic in place of a small window. Scored it to size and used the coping saw to cut out the cat-door shaped section. I tried using a circular saw in place of scoring for the large cuts and it ended very poorly.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you can use a laser cutter, do it, even if you have to use smaller pieces to fit the bed (probably like 18"x32"). Especially if it has to be precise.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alternately go find a laser shop with larger table sizes and ask nicely. I work in such a place (nowhere near you I expect), we hate cutting the stuff, but we can do it. So ask them nicely, but the cost may be higher than you currently plan to cover for cutting. That all depends on the shop.

Otherwise, you're cleanest cuts probably come from the solid state lasers right?

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Vortigern wrote: »
    Alternately go find a laser shop with larger table sizes and ask nicely. I work in such a place (nowhere near you I expect), we hate cutting the stuff, but we can do it. So ask them nicely, but the cost may be higher than you currently plan to cover for cutting. That all depends on the shop.

Otherwise, you're cleanest cuts probably come from the solid state lasers right?

I might end up just using the laser cutters that I have available in our fab lab and do a bunch of tiny mirror sections. The sections have to bend on multiple axis so smaller might be better.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Water jet, or laser its the only way to get clean cuts. Laser if you need the 0.01 accuracy.

stormbringer on