As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE [CHAT] INQUISITION!

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Blacktron wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Blacktron wrote: »
    Sooooo... Somebody attepmted to murder my Congresswoman today...

How was your day?

Consumed by it. It's as if the entire incident had been handwritten by some celestial scriptwriter to generate as much grief as humanly possible: a member of Congress who had just survived (survived... such a loaded word) a highly contentious election against half-crazed opposition shot in the head at point-blank range; the member of Congress married to an astronaut; one of her aides dead, a federal judge dead, a 9-year-old girl born on 9/11 and active in student government dead; the shooter having a reading list that includes the Communist Manifesto and Main Kampf. The fact that it happened at a town-hall meeting. The fact that, when the House read the Constitution on the floor, she was given the First Amendment, the part that addresses peaceable assembly and redress of grievances. The fact that Giffords actually appears on her way to recovering from a bullet to the brain. It's an overwhelming amount of emotional angst, topped with the most tragic of miracles.

There are tears right now forming that know they want to express something, but can't decide what they want to express most.
    That's a pretty fair assessment. I guess the only thing I have to add is that I've been ghosting this forum for several months now, and that this tragedy is the thing that finally got me off the fence. I would post this in the thread dedicated to the incident, but that thread has been closed due to stupid shit. I feel the need to point out to all who have been speculating about this event that, while this person is clearly crazy, he did not act apart from the social context that we in Southern Arizona find ourselves in. The fact of the matter is that, while this guy is crazy, he is not separate from the social context of Southern Arizona, and that that context is that the evil Democrat is out to destroy all that Arizona holds dear and must be stopped. To pretend that this is a unique incident is a horrifying whitewashing of the political climate of Arizona. This did not need to happen, and would not have happened if the Republican (Jesse Kelly) in the most recent election had won. I should have woken up to an uneventful Saturday, but that didn't happen.

am i misreading this or are you saying that the attempted assassination of the "evil democrat" was justified because the republican candidate didn't win the election?

edit: i think i must be misreading this. you're characterizing the political attitude in arizona's eighth in your post?

right?

I'm pretty sure he's saying "motherfucker is crazy, but at least part of that crazy is the fault of the teabaggers."

So yes, you're reading that wrong.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Misreading, will, I'm pretty sure

What he's trying to say is that the political viciousness (particularly in the firebrand tea party in AZ) contributed heavily to the events that happened

specifically dems probably wouldn't have attempted to shoot kelly if he had won

having lived in west texas in the clinton years, this strikes me as a reasonable assumption. there is something about the culture of the southwest i think. maybe it's a holdover from frontier days or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Strawman arguments are so easy to make

and so easy to ignore

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    He's saying the clearly rational and clear-thinking attacker, who is in no way a paranoid schizophrenic if his alleged youtube account is any indication, wouldn't have gone after the Republican if the Republican won.
    Lets bring the same misrepresentations of the other's arguments from the locked thread to [chat]. Maybe follow up this post with the suggestion he's blaming the Republican party for the death of a nine year old girl.
    Blacktron wrote:
    This did not need to happen, and would not have happened if the Republican (Jesse Kelly) in the most recent election had won.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The first time I skim read his post I did a double take as I sort of got the interpretation Will got, then I reread as that interpretation would be a truly insane comment

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    yeah okay let's not start this debate in the chat thread. sorry i encouraged it.

someone can start a new thread about this stuff tomorrow when we've had a little more time to gather information and reflect

it's really a sad, tragic thing

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm installing Metro 2033, it will be very scary but I am excited.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    I was going to make a big post in the AI thread, but then the thread descended into artificial stupidity.

There is nothing artificial about human stupidity. Except trolls.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So it turns out the George Foreman makes a pretty passable hamburger. I am sated.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »

It's a good game. Basically Eastern-European Half-Life 2 with a Stalker theme.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lookit the liddle bats!

Echo on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I should really be getting dressed and packing ready to head to London Village. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    So it turns out the George Foreman makes a pretty passable hamburger.

nothing wrong with the foreman grill, really

it's not great for getting a good seared crust on a steak or burger, but it's a quick, easy and economical way to cook a chop or burger.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I was thinking about playing that game, but I am pretty bad at shooters. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So it turns out the George Foreman makes a pretty passable hamburger. I am sated.
    As much as people joke about it, the George Foreman Grill is a fucking amazing invention.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BBC News's "[Event]: What We Know" articles are so damn handy when a major news item has been unfolding while you've been asleep.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That grill is supremely wonderful

And you can drink the grease afterwards! :rotate:

Eddy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So it turns out the George Foreman makes a pretty passable hamburger.

nothing wrong with the foreman grill, really

it's not great for getting a good seared crust on a steak or burger, but it's a quick, easy and economical way to cook a chop or burger.

yeah I mean the fairly slight difference in quality is very easily offset by the massive convenience. and that I was able to grill a burger in my pajamas while it's 22 outside.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I should really be getting dressed and packing ready to head to London Village. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Where you going?

I sometimes miss London.

Especially Camden and sort of New Oxford Street/Holborn.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I watched the first section of Helloweens LP of it, and it looked really cool. Unfortunately I scare easily, but it's daylight a couple of hours a day so...

I bought the THQ pack so I got STALKER now as well, to try later.

Honk on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Some of the best burgers I have ever had came from a George Foreman grill.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ITT: nerds love convenience

Eddy on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Starcross on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fluffy bats!

bats.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    feel like shit

my face from my eyes to my chin is dried out and beet red and irritated from all the runny nose

god

fucking put me out of my misery

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Says the guy with a Gengar avatar!

• Options
    edited January 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

Where you going?

I sometimes miss London.

Especially Camden and sort of New Oxford Street/Holborn.

No where interesting. Just heading down to New Malden to stay with a friend overnight before going to a training day at the NT Studio tomorrow.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Fluffy bats!

bats.jpg

They look like cheap toys more than real animals.

Starcross on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Cesca assures me that she is getting ready, and that the fact that she appears to be lounging about in a dressing gown is the result of some kind of optical illusion.

japan on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those bats are pretty awesome. The ranger is pretty cute too. Double win really.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i don't own a foreman grill, but used an old sandwich press when i was in college, which is essentially the same thing minus the foreman branding. it was handy, especially when i didn't have an actual stove.

now i am at a point in my life where i need to keep kitchen gadgets to a minimum so that i actually have room for stuff i need in my kitchen, so no foreman or sandwich press, even though they are cool for some things.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Says the guy with a Gengar avatar!

Hey man, I fucking loved my George Foreman Grill freshman year

(I just found it amusing that everyone just rose up in unison in support of the grill)

Eddy on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    all the muscles in between my shoulderblades are extremely tight

how do I stretch those

what can be done

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »

Cesca assures me that she is getting ready, and that the fact that she appears to be lounging about in a dressing gown is the result of some kind of optical illusion.

This completely and utterly true. It's all an illusion. Honest.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    feel like shit

my face from my eyes to my chin is dried out and beet red and irritated from all the runny nose

god

fucking put me out of my misery

you know, theraflu used to be amazing. if you had a head or chest cold and took that shit, you would feel relaxed and great within 15 minutes.

then they changed the formula because of the meth/ pseudoephedrine thing, and now it does not work for shit.

the last time i had a bad cold i just straight up suffered for like two weeks

so you have my sympathies dude

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The grill deserves its props.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    all the muscles in between my shoulderblades are extremely tight

how do I stretch those

what can be done

Grab a hold of something like a doorframe, one hand on each side. Then put your feet pretty close to the doorframe and lean backwards.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Whenever I had a bad runny nose I just took two benadryls, chugged water, and fell asleep within an hour

That doesn't help if you actually stuff to do unfortunately.

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    While standing. I'm not sure if I can adequately explain what I mean. :/

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

well seriously

it is kind of a magic bullet for single dudes cooking for one. between it and a rice cooker you can make real food without spending all night on one meal. the difference in how I eat now versus the years of PB&J and ramen is vast.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.