As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE [CHAT] INQUISITION!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Podly wrote: »
    @Japan: my mom is the same way. She must have like 10 different wine-openers which are significantly worse than the good-old two-hinge waiter's corkscrew

She made an attempt at using this thing she got for chopping veg over christmas. This thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWtROWsMLOE

It does not work like it does in the video. What happens is that you bring the "press" part down, it goes some way into whatever you're trying to chop, then it jams. At this point you either need to remove what you were trying to chop and cut it up so that it doesn't jam the machine, or exert so much pressure on the press that you start worrying about the maximum amount of mechanical load you can put on the hinge.

On top of that it is an utter pig to clean, being filled with fine meshes and grilles, and having a tendency to reduce things to mush as you try to push the thing closed over and over again.

japan on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My mom did some weird stuff when she visited me last year. One of them was she insisted I did not have enough towels and insisted I have more. Like, it wasn't a passing thought but something that HAD to be done before she left. If your parents visit do they do weird stuff like that?

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    yeah i have some sudafed (the good stuff with pseudo) but i'm on like my 5th dose and still very little improvement
    Seriously, Org, inhale some saltwater.

I'm not joking; it's every bit as unpleasant as it sounds, but it will clear you right the fuck out. The correct ratio is two teaspoons of salt to one cup of water (make sure it's mixed well). I'm not gonna say it's fun, but it works like fucking magic.

i trid this and vomited err'where

Organichu on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    btw, jets fans be crazy

people were talking so much shit today at work

the mind -- it boggles
    The Seahawks won today.

It was a fucking miracle, and at this point, any win by them is fucking gravy, but they just knocked the returning Superbowl champions out of the playoffs; that's pretty hardcore.

I actually thought the seahawks had a chance. I was reading on football outsiders that, according to DVOA, the Seahawks are like the fourth (statistically) worst team to make the playoffs. However, of the four previous worst teams to make the playoffs, three of them won their first game. Add to that the fact that the Saints had a fluff schedule and never had a game where they looked really good, I thought Seattle had a legitimate chance.

Plus, Matty H went to my highschool, so he's got that going for him.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah i have some sudafed (the good stuff with pseudo) but i'm on like my 5th dose and still very little improvement

I'm not joking; it's every bit as unpleasant as it sounds, but it will clear you right the fuck out. The correct ratio is two teaspoons of salt to one cup of water (make sure it's mixed well). I'm not gonna say it's fun, but it works like fucking magic.
    i trid this and vomited err'where
    I'm drunk, so I may have failed to mention that you should do it in the shower.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    btw, jets fans be crazy

people were talking so much shit today at work

the mind -- it boggles
    The Seahawks won today.

It was a fucking miracle, and at this point, any win by them is fucking gravy, but they just knocked the returning Superbowl champions out of the playoffs; that's pretty hardcore.
    I actually thought the seahawks had a chance. I was reading on football outsiders that, according to DVOA, the Seahawks are like the fourth (statistically) worst team to make the playoffs. However, of the four previous worst teams to make the playoffs, three of them won their first game. Add to that the fact that the Saints had a fluff schedule and never had a game where they looked really good, I thought Seattle had a legitimate chance.

Plus, Matty H went to my highschool, so he's got that going for him.
    He did amazingly well today; he really, really needs to retire, though. He's a fucking terrible quarterback.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As an avid Saints fan I was really worried going into the game. I was primarily worried because our defense regressed horribly this year (which is what happens with turnover-based defenses, it's usually boom-or-bust), and our top two running backs were out, Thomas being out hurting the most. Without Brees, they'd have been probably something like 4-12 this season.

Oh well, last year was amazing enough.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    when the saints called a run play on the two point conversion and they had their like third string RB in

well

I didn't think that was the best idea

So It Goes on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I did this with seawater in Malaysia once after catching a cold on (I assume) the plane there. At least I could sort of live with myself then

Sparvy on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    night bros

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    night bros

and lady!!!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    night bros
    G'night brosephina.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    night bros

and lady!!!

Ladies can be bros.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    when the saints called a run play on the two point conversion and they had their like third string RB in

well

There was literally no difference between them making the extra point and them not making the extra point at that point in the game, so they kind of had to go with the run for the conversion.

Unless you're betting on a safety, which is never a smart bet.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »
    night bros

and lady!!!

Ladies can be bros.

And Bros can be Hos. But bros come before hos.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    night bros

and lady!!!

and lady-bro

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

well

There was literally no difference between them making the extra point and them not making the extra point at that point in the game, so they kind of had to go with the run for the conversion.

why couldn't they do a pass play, is what I am saying

I understand why they had to go for two

So It Goes on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    He's a fucking terrible quarterback.

Not really. He's like Bledsoe-lite. He's just playing in an era of unparalleled QB skill, so he's ranked lower. He's the sam adams of QBs -- he's either the worst of the elite QBs or the best of the average QBs.

@Eddy: yeah, that's how I've felt after every year my team won. It's like "heh, I would have liked to won again, but I'm good for a few years."

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2011

well

Because that would ruin their January vacation plans.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    He's a fucking terrible quarterback.

Not really. He's like Bledsoe-lite. He's just playing in an era of unparalleled QB skill, so he's ranked lower. He's the sam adams of QBs -- he's either the worst of the elite QBs or the best of the average QBs.

@Eddy: yeah, that's how I've felt after every year my team won. It's like "heh, I would have liked to won again, but I'm good for a few years."
    I have watched some of the games this season, dude; he's fucking awful.

Today's game was an exception, but it's time for him to hang up his pads. He's an awful fucking quarterback.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

well

statistically you are more likely to convert a goal-line run than a goal-line pass, and they didn't need the conversion anyways.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am ready! Huzzah!

Now to sit about for 20 mins or so.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

well

statistically you are more likely to convert a goal-line run than a goal-line pass, and they didn't need the conversion anyways.
    "Need" being a relative term; if they had made the conversion, they only would have been down by a field goal and a touchdown, instead of by two touchdowns.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh wait

I thought they cut the lead to 3 if they got the 2 pt conversion

so uh what

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weren't they down by 11?

edit* or was it 4?

Either way, they needed another touchdown to take the lead.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    they lost by five...

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh well, obnoxious co-worker's team lost so I am happy.

• Options
    edited January 2011
    anyway the original point was

their rb's were out hurt

they put in a guy who had not taken a snap yet on the most crucial play of the game

personally I would have taken my chances with someone else who had been making some catches or something

So It Goes on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weren't they down by 11?

edit* or was it 4?

Either way, they needed another touchdown to take the lead.
    Yeah, they were down by 11. Then, they made the touchdown, from which there are three possibilities:

1) They don't make any points, in which case they're down by a touchdown.

2) They kick for one extra point... in which case they're down by four points, which is essentially down by one touchown.

3) They make the conversion, so they're down by three points, which is just one field goal; they could theoretically tie it up, and force the game into overtime.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wikipedia has a way better summary of news pertaining to the 2011 F1 season than any of the sports news sites.

All I wanted was a list of confirmed race drivers for the season, and to know which race seats were still To Be Announced. You'd think that this was something you'd be able to find out from Autosport or whatever, but apparently not.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

their rb's were out hurt

they put in a guy who had not taken a snap yet on the most crucial play of the game

personally I would have taken my chances with someone else who had been making some catches or something

I believe it's because Reggie Bush is fumble-prone and not their goal-line formation back with Pierre Thomas's injury

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2011

their rb's were out hurt

I believe it's because Reggie Bush is fumble-prone and not their goal-line formation back with Pierre Thomas's injury

he was out getting his leg looked at

jones was out too for injury reasons sustained on that drive I think

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    nfl_u_lynch_porter1x_576.jpg

and anyway this was the best part of the game

So It Goes on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

and anyway this was the best part of the game

My first thought was, "why is that man holding a tomato?"

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    anyway now that I have cowed you with my football knowledge I will try to sleep i guess

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm waiting on the result from me getting caught speeding by a camera. I was absent minded at the time and don't really know how much over the limit I was.

Honk on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I'm waiting on the result from me getting caught speeding by a camera. I was absent minded at the time and don't really know how much over the limit I was.

Were you trying to remember the name of Toto's first hit single

because it was 'Hold the Line'

just so you know for future reference

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone help me out: there's a study out there I swear to god there is that shows--or at least suggests--a relationship between higher pay for political elites and less corruption. But my Google-Fu is weak.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

Were you trying to remember the name of Toto's first hit single

because it was 'Hold the Line'

just so you know for future reference

I was basically minding my own business, I may have been singing along with the radio. Then FLASH and SNAP. "YOU JUST GOT FINED!"

Honk on
This discussion has been closed.