As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D) Shot

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually want to hear what the shooter haves to say? Instead of trying to shoe-horn him into any group I'm against?

Cause, right now, you are all labeling him a far-right-liberal-fundamentalist-atheist-communist-libertarian.
    Does it matter what he has to say? I'm not sure there's anything you can say to justify those actions. Though I agree the tribalism is a bit silly.

Aye, as horrible as his actions are, we need to figure out what he has to say, even if it is gobbledygook about tactical nuclear fnords coming to take over mankind. We need to poke into this guy to see why he went the way he did, and hopefully prevent this kind of shit from becoming commonplace. I know we'll never eliminate it outright (hey! getting rid of "oppressive" levels of government is how we were founded go fig!), but hopefully we can identify patterns to intervene before someone takes that final step into the abyss.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2011
    If his enemy is "the government", then his wild shooting hit a lot of targets it would seem.

I for one am happy the little shit lived. We need to see his motivations, then punish him to the fullest extent of the law.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    syndalis wrote: »
    If his enemy is "the government", then his wild shooting hit a lot of targets it would seem.

I for one am happy the little shit lived. We need to see his motivations, then punish him to the fullest extent of the law.

My thoughts exactly.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Am I the only one who actually want to hear what the shooter haves to say? Instead of trying to shoe-horn him into any group I'm against?

Cause, right now, you are all labeling him a far-right-liberal-fundamentalist-atheist-communist-libertarian.

This. I really don't think this guy belonged to any political party aside from Insaneative Crazicrat.

Or some such... I'm bad at this game.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    815165 wrote: »

Does it matter what he has to say? I'm not sure there's anything you can say to justify those actions. Though I agree the tribalism is a bit silly.

Anybody remember a couple of years ago the woman in Pittsburgh who carved a 'B' into her face and then claimed some unidentified black men jumped her and did it?

Strangely, a few people here suggested, before pictures of her post-attack were released, that she probably did it herself. Mainly because the whole story seemed fishy. These people were attacked for jumping to conclusions and such. But they were right.

And amazingly, in recent years, a few people have jumped the rails and started shooting folks. Then it turns out that they had been immersed in the same crazy rhetoric espoused by prominent right-wing people who basically suggest that liberalism needs to be eradicated.

Given the facts (who got shot and where, and who did the shooting), it shouldn't be surprising that many people will come to the conclusion that this dude might have been influenced by it.

But hey, keep trying to paint forumers who make that connection as being unreasonable. Who knows? In a few days, they might have to eat some crow. But where will you be if the odds play out and he was a right-wing whacko?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aye, as horrible as his actions are, we need to figure out what he has to say, even if it is gobbledygook about tactical nuclear fnords coming to take over mankind. We need to poke into this guy to see why he went the way he did, and hopefully prevent this kind of shit from becoming commonplace. I know we'll never eliminate it outright (hey! getting rid of "oppressive" levels of government is how we were founded go fig!), but hopefully we can identify patterns to intervene before someone takes that final step into the abyss.
    I think there's a risk of saying to every other nutter out there with a message that shooting some people is a good way to broadcast your message to a billion people world wide. Finding out why these things are happening is a good idea in terms of helping spot future cases and hopefully prevention but the motive shouldn't make it's way to the media; though this is probably impossible in the age of narrative driven 24 hour news.

815165 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sure we'll be hearing all next week that this is because of those damn teapartiers.

Even if the guy has absolutely no affiliation I'm sure they'll find some way to spin it, they always do.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We need to know why he did what he did so we can prevent it in the future.

Whether he's ideologically motivated, wants attention, is just plain crazy, etc, we need to know. If we don't know we can't do anything to keep this from happening again.

It will be interesting to see what he has to say for himself. The only silver lining here is that he survived so we can find out.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to go ahead and say that someone can be both political and crazy.

Hachface on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys I hear Ozzy Osbourne caused a kid to kill himself with his song "Suicide Solution".

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hachface wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and say that someone can be both political and crazy.
    Bachmann.jpg

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    We need to know why he did what he did so we can prevent it in the future.

Whether he's ideologically motivated, wants attention, is just plain crazy, etc, we need to know. If we don't know we can't do anything to keep this from happening again.

It will be interesting to see what he has to say for himself. The only silver lining here is that he survived so we can find out.

Which is what it all boils down to. We simply won't really know anything until at least Monday. Meanwhile, speculation is all there is.

Getting on a high horse and condemning people for seeing a potential connection between eliminationist rhetoric and this guy's actions isn't actually any better. He was probably going to do something like this anyway, but hearing 'encouragement' can't have helped any.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    New press conference with the Sheriff says Giffords was the target (I'm not sure if that is his opinion or if they have other information)

EDIT: The reason I treat his statement as suspect is because he has issues with right-wing radio.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    agentk13agentk13 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    agentk13 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I don't think this dude was dealing in reality.

[http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2011/01/08/the-crazed-internet-rantings-of-jared-loughner

spoilered for size/insanity
    My Final Thoughts: Jared Lee Loughner!
    Most people, who read this text, forget in the next 2 second!

The population of dreamers in the United States of America is less than 5%!

If 987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,618 is the year in B.C.E. then the previous year is 987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,619 B.C.E.

987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,618 is the year in B.C.E.

Therefore, the previous year of 987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,619 B.C.E.

If B.C.E. years are unable to start then A.D.E. years are unable to begin.

B.C.E. years are unable to start.

Thus, A.D.E. years are unable to begin.

If A.D.E. is endless in year then the years in A.D.E. don't cease.

A.D.E. is endless in year.

Therefore, the years in A.D.E. don't cease.

If I teach a mentally capable 8 year old for 20 consecutive minutes to replace an alphabet letter with a new letter and pronunciation then the mentally capable 8 year old writes and pronounces the new letter and pronunciation that's replacing an alphabet letter in 20 consecutive minutes.

I teach a mentally capable 8 year old for 20 consecutive minutes to replace an alphabet letter with a new letter and pronunciation.

Thus, the mentally capable 8 year old writes and pronounces the new letter and pronunciation that replaces an alphabet letter in 20 consecutive minutes.

Every human who's mentally capable is always able to be treasurer of their new currency.

If you create one new currency then you're able to create a second new currency.

If you're able to create second new currency then you're able to create third new currency.

You create one new currency.

Thus, you're able to create a third new currency.

You're a treasurer for a new currency, listener?

You create and distribute your new currency, listener?

You don't allow the government to control your grammar structure, listener?

If you create one new language then you're able to create a second new language.

If you're able to create a second new language then you're able to create a third new language.

You create one new language.

Thus, you're able to create a third new language.

All humans are in need of sleep.

Jared Loughner is a human.

Hence, Jared Loughner is in need of sleep.

Sleepwalking

If I define sleepwalking then sleepwalking is the act or state of walking, eating, or performing other motor acts while asleep, of which one is unaware upon awakening.

I define sleepwalking.

Thus, sleepwalking is the act or state of walking, eating, or performing other motor acts while asleep, of which one is unaware upon awakening.

I'm a sleepwalker - who turns off the alarm clock.

All conscience dreaming at this moment is asleep.

Jared Loughner is conscience dreaming at this moment.

Thus, Jared Loughner is asleep.

Terrorist

If I define terrorist then a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon.

I define terrorist.

This, a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon.

If you call me a terrorist then the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem.

You call me a terrorist.

Thus, the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem.

Every United States Military recruit at MEPS in Phoenis is receiving one mini bible before the tests.

Jared Loughner is a United States Military recruit at MEPS in Phoenix.

Therefore, Jared Loughner is receiving one mini bible before the tests.

I didn't write a belief on my Army application, and the recruiter wrote on the application; None.

The majority of citizens in the United States of America have never read the United States of America's Constitution.

You don't have to accept the federalist laws.

Nonetheless, read the United States of America's Constituion to apprehend all of the current treasonous laws.

You're literate, listener?

If the property owners and government officials are no longer in ownership of their land and laws from a revolution then the revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the land and laws.

The property owners and government officials are no longer in ownership of their land and laws from a revolution.

Thus, the revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the land and laws.

In conclusion, reading the second United States Constition, I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar.

No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver!

No! I won't trust in God!

What's government if words don't have meaning?

The dude isn't playing with a full deck. It doesn't take a Glenn Beck or Art Bell to get this dude to go off. He could have been watching Sesame Street and seeing everyone as a secret agent for Big Brother Bird.

That sounds like Beck's core demographic. So, really, why do you think that he picked a democrat who is a major target of republican animosity and hysteria instead of the set of Sesame Street?

Because the universe flipped a coin on what would trigger the wacko. But if you really need tragedies like this to demonize Glenn Beck when you can just do a Google search for his idiotic quotes instead then yes, Glenn Beck brainwashed a stable human and turned him into a killer. It's Sirhan Sirhan all over again!

Read the post again, idiot.

agentk13 on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well this says she's out of surgery, responsive, and the doctor is optimistic of her recovery. But as to what quality of life she'll have after this we probably won't know for a few days. Still in critical condition though, so she's not out of the woods yet.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Would be nice if this would cause us to look at how completely shitty our health care system is when it comes to addressing problems of mental health, and then actually do something about it

But it won't

So It Goes on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How would our mental health care system treat someone who is mentally ill if they never seek treatment?

Should we have roving bands of psychiatrists diagnosing people in the street?

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    How would our mental health care system treat someone who is mentally ill if they never seek treatment?

Of course we can't treat people who hide and never seek help

But if care was easy to access and mental health issues didn't have a giant stigma maybe more people would seek it

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm sorry, I don't think this dude was dealing in reality.

[http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2011/01/08/the-crazed-internet-rantings-of-jared-loughner

spoilered for size/insanity
    My Final Thoughts: Jared Lee Loughner!
    Most people, who read this text, forget in the next 2 second!

The population of dreamers in the United States of America is less than 5%!

If 987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,618 is the year in B.C.E. then the previous year is 987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,619 B.C.E.

987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,618 is the year in B.C.E.

Therefore, the previous year of 987,123,478,961,876,341,234,098,601,978,619 B.C.E.

If B.C.E. years are unable to start then A.D.E. years are unable to begin.

B.C.E. years are unable to start.

Thus, A.D.E. years are unable to begin.

If A.D.E. is endless in year then the years in A.D.E. don't cease.

A.D.E. is endless in year.

Therefore, the years in A.D.E. don't cease.

If I teach a mentally capable 8 year old for 20 consecutive minutes to replace an alphabet letter with a new letter and pronunciation then the mentally capable 8 year old writes and pronounces the new letter and pronunciation that's replacing an alphabet letter in 20 consecutive minutes.

I teach a mentally capable 8 year old for 20 consecutive minutes to replace an alphabet letter with a new letter and pronunciation.

Thus, the mentally capable 8 year old writes and pronounces the new letter and pronunciation that replaces an alphabet letter in 20 consecutive minutes.

Every human who's mentally capable is always able to be treasurer of their new currency.

If you create one new currency then you're able to create a second new currency.

If you're able to create second new currency then you're able to create third new currency.

You create one new currency.

Thus, you're able to create a third new currency.

You're a treasurer for a new currency, listener?

You create and distribute your new currency, listener?

You don't allow the government to control your grammar structure, listener?

If you create one new language then you're able to create a second new language.

If you're able to create a second new language then you're able to create a third new language.

You create one new language.

Thus, you're able to create a third new language.

All humans are in need of sleep.

Jared Loughner is a human.

Hence, Jared Loughner is in need of sleep.

Sleepwalking

If I define sleepwalking then sleepwalking is the act or state of walking, eating, or performing other motor acts while asleep, of which one is unaware upon awakening.

I define sleepwalking.

Thus, sleepwalking is the act or state of walking, eating, or performing other motor acts while asleep, of which one is unaware upon awakening.

I'm a sleepwalker - who turns off the alarm clock.

All conscience dreaming at this moment is asleep.

Jared Loughner is conscience dreaming at this moment.

Thus, Jared Loughner is asleep.

Terrorist

If I define terrorist then a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon.

I define terrorist.

This, a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon.

If you call me a terrorist then the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem.

You call me a terrorist.

Thus, the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem.

Every United States Military recruit at MEPS in Phoenis is receiving one mini bible before the tests.

Jared Loughner is a United States Military recruit at MEPS in Phoenix.

Therefore, Jared Loughner is receiving one mini bible before the tests.

I didn't write a belief on my Army application, and the recruiter wrote on the application; None.

The majority of citizens in the United States of America have never read the United States of America's Constitution.

You don't have to accept the federalist laws.

Nonetheless, read the United States of America's Constituion to apprehend all of the current treasonous laws.

You're literate, listener?

If the property owners and government officials are no longer in ownership of their land and laws from a revolution then the revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the land and laws.

The property owners and government officials are no longer in ownership of their land and laws from a revolution.

Thus, the revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the land and laws.

In conclusion, reading the second United States Constition, I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar.

No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver!

No! I won't trust in God!

What's government if words don't have meaning?

The dude isn't playing with a full deck. It doesn't take a Glenn Beck or Art Bell to get this dude to go off. He could have been watching Sesame Street and seeing everyone as a secret agent for Big Brother Bird.

That sounds like Beck's core demographic. So, really, why do you think that he picked a democrat who is a major target of republican animosity and hysteria instead of the set of Sesame Street?

Because the universe flipped a coin on what would trigger the wacko. But if you really need tragedies like this to demonize Glenn Beck when you can just do a Google search for his idiotic quotes instead then yes, Glenn Beck brainwashed a stable human and turned him into a killer. It's Sirhan Sirhan all over again!

Read the post again, idiot.

Yes I get it. You think heavy metal and video games caused the Columbine Massacre as well I guess.

We're not going to agree on this.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

But if care was easy to access and mental health issues didn't have a giant stigma maybe more people would seek it
    Something tells me this guy doesn't have a problem with being stigmatized.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

Something tells me this guy doesn't have a problem with being stigmatized.

I think you are missing my point

oh well

So It Goes on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Schizophrenic breaks can come on suddenly in your early 20s with no warning as I understand it.

This guy might only have been off the rails for five or six months before this happened.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Speaker wrote: »
    Schizophrenic breaks can come on suddenly in your early 20s with no warning as I understand it.

This guy might only have been off the rails for five or six months before this happened.
    I am inclined to believe this as everyone who has come out who knows him hasn't been in contact with him for a while and no one is reporting that he was as insane as those youtube videos make him out to be, or at all.

Hoz on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Heavy metal and video games don't have consistent messages like, say, specific people.

That'd be like saying having any interest in politics encourages violence.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Except crazy people usually aren't connoisseurs of a whole genre of art, they fixate on a particular band, a book, or a movie.

Hoz on
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So didn't act alone. Not what I expected.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Another difference is that nobody is demanding Palin, Beck & co. be censored or restricted in any way. Just that they consider the ramifications of how they express themselves.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Heavy metal and video games don't have consistent messages like, say, specific people.

I'm pretty sure violent video games have a consistent message of killing things.

Which clearly makes children want to kill real things. Right?

And heavy metal WHOO boy with all that worship Satan and don't even get me started on DEATH metal!

Think of the children, ban violent games and Fox News and no one will go nuts and kill politicians ever again. It'll be like the good ol days of the 80 no wait I mean the 196...shit

Uhh...the 186FUCK!

Kagera on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's very telling about the sort of people most of you are that you immediately jump to trying to blame conservatives for this instead of waiting for facts or maybe at least noticing the similarities between this and Taxi Driver.

But then, blaming Martin Scorsese or Robert Deniro doesn't suit your half-assed political philosophy of "we're good, you're evil."

So the shooter in this case was also trying to woo Jodie Foster?

Or would you prefer to ignore the prominent right-wingers who have been using eliminationist rhetoric for the last couple of years?

Maybe you're right. Maybe a 35 year old film was the cause of all this and absolutely nothing people have been repeating over and over could've ever played a part in it.

Maybe neither had anything to do with it, or maybe both. That's the point. You don't know. Nobody knows what drove this kid to do what he did except the kid himself.

But instead of waiting for the facts, you choose to assign blame to your Hated Opposition, which has nothing to do with being rational or objective, but it fits your worldview that the other side is Evil so you just assume it was their fault, and there couldn't possibly be any other explanations.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I'm pretty sure violent video games have a consistent message of killing things.

And heavy metal WHOO boy with all that worship Satan and don't even get me started on DEATH metal!

Think of the children, ban violent games and Fox News and no one will go nuts and kill politicians ever again. It'll be like the good ol days of the 80 no wait I mean the 196...shit

Uhh...the 186FUCK!

We have reached DERP maximum!

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

Source?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Uhh...the 186FUCK!

We have reached DERP maximum!

Derp Force 10.
    Honk wrote: »

Source?

Well there was him

and all the voices in his head.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Source?

Fox had the sheriff's press conference on. Looking for another suspect. A white male in his 50s.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

What the hell, did not see that coming.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Again, Kag, you are using genres when we are referring to specific people.

I could easily see people condemning a specific series of game with questionable themes. Not to mention that this is politics being compared to entertainment.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Source?

Fox had the sheriff's press conference on. Looking for another suspect. A white male in his 50s.

...The guy's dad?

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

What the hell, did not see that coming.
    It could have just been a relative dropping him off to shop or something.

If it is actually someone else linked to the attacks, it does change things, though.

Lone whackoes don't have partners to drive them to the killing spree.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2011

I could easily see people condemning a specific series of game with questionable themes. Not to mention that this is politics being compared to entertainment.

Honestly? I've never heard of Giffords before today.

And I'm pretty sure no one has really called for her death who is high in the Tea Party Movement or the GOP in general.

So...I'm not seeing her being targeted by Glenn Beck or Palin except being called some dodgy names which happens to all politicians.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Honestly? I've never heard of Giffords before today.

And I'm pretty sure no one has really called for her death who is high in the Tea Party Movement or the GOP in general.

So...I'm not seeing her being targeted by Glenn Beck or Palin except being called some dodgy names which happens to all politicians.

Beck actually hits on her pretty hard.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.