As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] 2033

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    £1600 for car insurance? Woah. I got my first car (after holding a license since I was seventeen) a couple of years ago and it was around 500 quid.

yeah but you're old

car insurance for young people costs $Texas

deservedly so

I drove the car off the road yesterday

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bogart is older than me, but not by a huge margin.

japan on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I guess Jack Straw isn't planning to run again. That or he thinks he's going to get kicked upstairs to the Lords.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    £1600 for car insurance? Woah. I got my first car (after holding a license since I was seventeen) a couple of years ago and it was around 500 quid.

yeah but you're old

car insurance for young people costs $Texas

deservedly so

I drove the car off the road yesterday

ugh

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    My last renewal quote was about £270, from Admiral.

Bogart on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Res wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    one of these days I'm gonna make a [chat]

live the d&d dream

It's sort of like becoming an ascended being.

One of these days, one of these days

I imagine it is like the difference network TV and cable

green rooms, soft chairs

a sense of accomplishment

I've been here for like two years I think and I only just made one

It was a dammed good one though!

M240B all up ins!

Jokerman on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leitner wrote: »
    So I guess Jack Straw isn't planning to run again. That or he thinks he's going to get kicked upstairs to the Lords.

I guess he broke the camel's back?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember being young and paying $2k a year for the state minimums on on 77 Dodge Aspen Sedan. I was paying 4x more per year than the car was worth. I actually paid $500 for it.

Ahhh memories.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My last renewal quote was about £270, from Admiral.

Hrmm. In that case it's probably a combination of me being a new customer (so I don't have a renewal quote to use as leverage) and not having any No Claims Discount (because the last time I held insurance in my own name was about four years ago and they won't accept a proof of no claims issued that long ago).

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Urgh.

I fucking hate when politicians decide they need to make statements addressing "the [ethnic or religious group] community".

It's like they don't realise it makes them look like massive bigots.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    japan wrote: »

Urgh.

I fucking hate when politicians decide they need to make statements addressing "the [ethnic or religious group] community".

It's like they don't realise it makes them look like massive bigots.

Look like? O_o

Haphazard on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    On the other hand, rape apologism.

Can’t say I know the case, or areas involved enough to make a judgement either way, but I’ve seen rampant patriarchal cultures misogyny brushed under the carpet that way before. Happens all the time in national media tbh.

Leitner on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, guys. Vanquish is fucking awesome.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a game that I'll be playing today, it's supposed to basically be Russian Half-Life and also very scary. I've decided to actually play this through, but I might pass out a few times due to fear.

Worst thread.

The differences are pretty big tbh. One of them is an engaging, tense, game set in a very interesting world with really fun action.

The other is Half-Life.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, it is cold outside.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hello [chat]. Been a while. How is everyone?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow. I've not read the comic in like two weeks, so I decided to catch up since no one is here.

Holy shit did the go out on a limb with that last trilogy. Tycho is letting his word obsession show pretty strongly.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Hello [chat]. Been a while. How is everyone?
    Tired. I didn't sleep well this weekend. Didn't recuperate from my week. This is not a good start to my semester.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I need to try that stuff.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    a good night was had by all

last time I ever drink homemade alcohol though

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I went to bed at about 6am today. And that's when I wanted to go to bed earlier...
    First work day of the year (tomorrow) will be a tired one.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Giffords is a badass. Shot in the head with a pistol from a foot away and she's expected to survive. Goddamn.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tav wrote: »

Rode the white lightning, eh?

(Never ride the white lightning)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Giffords is a badass. Shot in the head with a pistol from a foot away and she's expected to survive. Goddamn.
    Also is probably not mentally challenged, either.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Ehh, they haven't said that. The doc said he's as optimistic as he can be "in these kinds of situations", but, optimistic in a "shot in the brain" situation usually means the person being able to tie their shoes again.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't get the euphemism...?

My friend's family make their own brandy since it's a Hungarian tradition. It was raaaaaather strong. I had like, two cups of that and coke and afterwards I just had to swap to cans because I would have been sick from it.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ehh, they haven't said that. The doc said he's as optimistic as he can be "in these kinds of situations", but, optimistic in a "shot in the brain" situation usually means the person being able to tie their shoes again.
    She was talking and responding to commands before surgery.

This leads me to believe she still has decent cognitive functions.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, Hyde Park is pretty amazing in this bright sunny Winter's day. Although I think I may have gone slightly overboard with the photos of dogs and birds

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I don't get the euphemism...?

My friend's family make their own brandy since it's a Hungarian tradition. It was raaaaaather strong. I had like, two cups of that and coke and afterwards I just had to swap to cans because I would have been sick from it.
    White Lightning = Moonshine

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So Nicholas Meyer's commentary on the Star Trek II DVD is really good. He avoids the pitfall of so many commentaries where they just talk about what's on screen ("that car cost a lot of money!") - it really feels more like a wide-ranging seminar about art and storytelling and so forth.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Who was the guy who shot Representative Giffords? A loon, for sure.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    This is a game that I'll be playing today, it's supposed to basically be Russian Half-Life and also very scary. I've decided to actually play this through, but I might pass out a few times due to fear.

Worst thread.

The differences are pretty big tbh. One of them is an engaging, tense, game set in a very interesting world with really fun action.

The other is Half-Life.

Metro 2033 is many things to me, but it's not engaging, nor is the world overly interesting. The action is about as fun as getting repeatedly stabbed through the chest by a massive, deformed rat-monkey-thing.

It's tense. Except where the tension gets bled away by the checkpoint system until the game is just a monotonous grey-white / brown-red blur.

Metro fails on nearly every level
    1) having multiple varieties of weapons, and then not letting the player tactically choose between them
    2) having a psuedo-RPG feel, but stopping just before it gets interesting
    3) having checkpoints that were, to all appearances, designed by massive, deformed rat-monkey-things.

It's not a bad game, but Half Life (especially 2, which would be the metric used above) is easily the better game.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    So Nicholas Meyer's commentary on the Star Trek II DVD is really good. He avoid the pitfall of so many commentaries where they just talk about what's on screen ("that car cost a lot of money!") - it really feels more like a wide-ranging seminar about art and storytelling and so forth.
    Commentaries walk a fine line, usually.

I like equal parts "story of what happened behind scenes during specific scene on screen" and talking about the entire experience.

I also prefer actor/director commentaries for that reason.

Single commentaries with just actors or just producers/directors tend to be one-sided and boring.

(The commentary on Big Trouble in Little China is funny, because Carpenter and Russell talk about random shit and not about the movie at all)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Haphazard wrote: »
    You have no idea

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So Nicholas Meyer's commentary on the Star Trek II DVD is really good. He avoid the pitfall of so many commentaries where they just talk about what's on screen ("that car cost a lot of money!") - it really feels more like a wide-ranging seminar about art and storytelling and so forth.
    Commentaries walk a fine line, usually.

I like equal parts "story of what happened behind scenes during specific scene on screen" and talking about the entire experience.

I also prefer actor/director commentaries for that reason.

Single commentaries with just actors or just producers/directors tend to be one-sided and boring.

(The commentary on Big Trouble in Little China is funny, because Carpenter and Russell talk about random shit and not about the movie at all)

Big Trouble is one of my favorite commentaries. Actually I think all Carpenter/Russell commentaries are pretty much like that - it sounds like they just get some booze and let 'er rip. The one for Conan the Barbarian is pretty awesome in a similar way.

I guess the other kind I really like are the ones that are really technical/informative, like the ones for the Batman animated series - you'll hear the producers and writers talking all about key frames and "off-model" and all this other stuff and it's kind of a neat insight into this really complicated world.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I agree, Carpenter and Russel just sound like two buddies bullshitting everytime they do a commentary together.

They do stay on point during The Thing commentary, though. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I feel kind of embarrassed watching some of the commentaries on old Doctor Who episodes because it's, like, two actors who played minor roles in one episode of a six-part story and an octogenarian TV director who probably directed dozens of other things that year and barely remembers even working on the show.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Haphazard wrote: »
    You have no idea

Holy fuck. What was he on?

Rhetorical question of course, from baffled me.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I agree, Carpenter and Russel just sound like two buddies bullshitting everytime they do a commentary together.

Carpenter is a really awesome dude and I wish he would make better movies, although I've heard good things about Pro-Life or whatever it is.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Carpenter is a really awesome dude and I wish he would make better movies, although I've heard good things about Pro-Life or whatever it is.
    Ah, his movies are great for what they are. (I love you, Ghosts of Mars)

His new movie...what is it called...The Ward! It looks decent. Sadly, he is not doing the music for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrnTbLRmMA

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.