Options

[Ocarina of Time 3DS], is it really worth the hype as its made out to be?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    (i.e. Jabu Jabu dungeon sucked)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    None of the dungeons were bad. Well, except the Bottom of the Well. That was well and truly the stuff of nightmares.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    It should also be interesting to see what content they add, though to be fair, usually when they re-release a Zelda game with a "new dungeon" or whatever, the new stuff tends to be somewhat lame (i.e. Link's Awakening DX color dungeon, that extra 4 Swords dungeon in ALTTP GBA, pretty much all of Master Quest :P)

Master Quest was awesome you heathen.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Personally, I'm not going to buy it. Then again I'm not buying the 3DS until it's inevitable first revision at least. I already played this game to death on the N64 and besides there's lots of new games to play. I like to reminisce about the old days, but revisiting them usually makes me wonder "I used to like this?"

Nintendo already basically just "remakes" every game they have. I don't want them to encourage them to ACTUALLY remake their games. We get enough of that from S-E already.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Nintendo already basically just "remakes" every game they have.

Not this stupidity again.

Pata on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    It's one of the best games of all time with better graphics, better controls, 3D and in portable form, that's enough for me.

Totally. Not played through this games for a decade, although I've watched the intro played through a few dozen times since then.

Back in the day, this game blew my mind in a way not many games have since. I cannot wait to play it again, shame I'll probably end up waiting for 3DS revision 2, but eh, plenty to keep me busy until then. There are so many things I love about OoT, and I bet there is tonnes of stuff I've forgotten too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pata wrote: »

Nintendo already basically just "remakes" every game they have.

Not this stupidity again.

a ton of handheld games are remakes. It doesn't bother me much since I never owned an snes or N64 so plenty of it is brand new to me.

Jars on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, being the portstation portable wasn't why the PSP did so badly, it's that those ports were so BADLY done along with the price tag and the short battery life that killed the early momentum for the system.

Why play those games when you could just get better versions on the PS2?

Handhelds have always thrived on ports.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but I think he means "remaking" in the vein of Mario Kart, Mario Party, Animal Crossing etc.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never understood the Mario Kart one. Each game since Super Circuit has had a full game's worth of content usually on top of another games worth of remake content.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but I think he means "remaking" in the vein of Mario Kart, Mario Party, Animal Crossing etc.

When has Party ever been remade? Even the GBA and DS ones were original.

Opium on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think Ocarina of Time is probably the most well-designed game of all time. The story, world, structure, and level design work so well as a whole that my feeble mind can't comprehend how mere humans could design such a marvel.

The only problems I have with Ocarina of Time are technical. The controls and animation are clunky by modern standards. The frame rate sucks. That kind of thing. Hopefully they put a lot of effort into fixing those problems on the 3DS.

Do we know what frame rate OoT 3D runs at yet? It's definitely higher than the original's 20fps, and I thought one of the videos showed signs it of running at 60fps, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if there are any first-hand impressions from Nintendo World about the frame rate floating about.

Edit: I'd definitely like to see this lead to a remake of Majora's Mask if they treat the art style with the same care they have Ocarina of Time's, but in the end what I really want is a brand new 3D Zelda game.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think the term is more "rehash" than "remake".
    A rehash is if it has an original story and different features but follows more gameplay wise and maybe even some features similar or the same as previous installments in that series.

I mean I would say a majority of Zelda games are rehashes. Which doesn't mean its a bad thing, if anything rehashes are whats keeping the Zelda series as popular as it is provided each offers some new type of feature that the previous installments don't have. Of course keeping in mind the new hardware which brings gameplay and graphical imrprovements which previous games couldn't possibly handle.

Victory63 on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yes. This.

I know there's much love for Nintendo, but maybe I've just outgrown their formula. I can only play so many sequels that use the exact same story, items, gameplay, etc. before I just can't do it anymore. The breaking point for me was Twilight Princess in the Air Temple.

... but this is Nintendo. I wouldn't be a gamer if it wasn't for the NES. I just can't give up on them entirely, so I keep giving them yet another chance. That said, I won't be buying into this obvious cash cow. Maybe if Nintendo had made a new Zelda for 3DS I'd be much more willing to buy a 3DS early, rather than wait for the superior second revision.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've stopped really caring about main franchise Nintendo titles, like Mario or Zelda. Their best days are past them in my eyes; Super Mario Bros. 3 and Wind Waker, respectively.

What I do like is when they let someone else take the reins of said classic franchises. Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid: Other M (barring the story silliness) - all really great stuff that retains the core feel of those franchises without feeling like I'm doing the same thing over and over again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd definitely like to see this lead to a remake of Majora's Mask if they treat the art style with the same care they have Ocarina of Time's
    Only if they use Link's sidefllp animation in the whole course of the game. Biggest blueballing in the history of the series.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've stopped really caring about main franchise Nintendo titles, like Mario or Zelda. Their best days are past them in my eyes; Super Mario Bros. 3 and Wind Waker, respectively.

What I do like is when they let someone else take the reins of said classic franchises. Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid: Other M (barring the story silliness) - all really great stuff that retains the core feel of those franchises without feeling like I'm doing the same thing over and over again.

F-Zero GX was just awsome. Developed by SEGA's Amusement Vision, it was just so good I could play it all the time.
    The two games after that F-Zero GP Legend and F-Zero Climax again wern't developed by Nintendo but just wern't the same.

Victory63 on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zelda is getting a bit long in the tooth for me. The whole time playing through TP I barely cared about anything occurring, and honestly was a bit surprised it ended as it did since it was so anticlimactic to me.

To me Okami beat TP in every way. Just a beautiful, wholehearted gem of a game that had me smiling the whole way through.

That said, I don't know what "hype" OoT is getting on the 3DS, but whatever hype that is, it deserves it. It's a classic title released for the first time on a portable system. I'm not sure anyone is hyping it as anything more than that.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, even though I'm not a huge fan of OoT, at least back then, the Zelda series still felt fresh. Zelda 1 & 2, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, OoT - they all had their own unique style or brought major improvements to the formula. Now, the series just feels derivative of itself even if the qualiy is generally good.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I personally would have preferred Wind Waker in 3D, solely because it still remains one of the most beautiful games ever produced. But I will still buy OoT 3DS because damnit, its a great game.

I personally don't get the complaints with the post OoT Zelda's being too similar to OoT. When you have a game that is nearly unanimously regarded as top 10 games of all time material, you'd think people would want more games in the same style. Instead, we get complaints of them being too similar to one of the greatest games of all time? That doesn't make sense. Being similar to one of the greats is a GOOD thing. And damnit, I will continue to play them.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yes. This.

I know there's much love for Nintendo, but maybe I've just outgrown their formula.

This is stupid. Nintendo changes up their formulas drastically with almost every sequel they make.

The main exception is Twilight Princess, which was made due to fans screaming about how they wanted OoT 2.0. Naturally fans hated it because fans are morons and don't know what they want.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hey now, TP is pretty great on the GameCube

Just...you know, WW was awesomer. It felt like a step backward.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still don't get why peope act like TP GC is hugely superior to the Wii version

does it really exhaust you so much to move your arms around from time to time or are you just annoyed that shield bash doesn't register half the time?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pata wrote: »

Yes. This.

I know there's much love for Nintendo, but maybe I've just outgrown their formula.

This is stupid. Nintendo changes up their formulas drastically with almost every sequel they make.

The main exception is Twilight Princess, which was made due to fans screaming about how they wanted OoT 2.0. Naturally fans hated it because fans are morons and don't know what they want.

I love Nintendo. I absolutely love them. But they do not change their formula drastically with every sequel they make. We would hate them if they did.

A drastic change in formula was the change between Red Dead Revolver and Red Dead Redemption. Resident Evil 1-3 and RE4. Or to use a Nintendo example, Super Mario World and Super Mario 64.

The difference between Mario Kart: DD and MK: Wii is mostly in the nature of a few refinements if you discount motion controls. Same goes for the two Metroid Primes on the GC and MP: Corruption, and most definitely between all of the Mario Party games.

Now, really, picking on Nintendo for this sort of thing usually doesn't mean much to me. Gamers love sequels. People would not be playing BLOPS, Madden, Halo, God of War, Gears of War, or pretty much anything if we didn't. The problem is Nintendo has been around for much longer, so those who walked away from Nintendo around the PSX days look on and think everything is the same Mario and Zelda they played 15 years ago. Either that, or they've convinced themselves of that when really they just don't like Nintendo games in the first place for any number of reasons. But it's easier to say it's all remakes then enunciate what they actually dislike.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The waggle isn't as responsive as a button press

I hate aiming with the pointer

The shield bash doesn't register

They made Link right-handed just so the sword-hand thing would "feel" right even though it isn't 1:1 control anyways, so seriously, what the fuck was the point?

The last three Zelda games (TP Wii and the two DS ones) all have shitty gimmick controls and I wish they'd just, you know, stop. Notice that they don't drag down SMG1/2, NSMB DS/Wii, or any of their other games in a similar manner.

It was poorly-implemented enough that it completely unsold me on motion controls at a time when I was super-excited to have my launch Wii. I ended up trading it in the next day and just waiting a month for the GC version, which then proceeded to rule the next couple months after that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Galaxy and NSMBWii both have unnecessary waggle spin controls that register when I don't want them to, and sometimes don't register when I do want them to.

I prefer TP's waggle over what they did in NSMBWii, honestly. Not that TP didn't need a lot of work on the motion controls.

Edit: I do absolutely hate the controls in the DS Zelda games, though. Can't argue there.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    NSMB's waggle is only used to do one thing though, and most of the time it works well for me. Same scenario with Donkey Kong Country Returns.

SMG1's waggle always seemed to work perfectly for me, to that game's credit.

But really Nintendo, I paid $20 for your Classic Controller. Let the new-age kids have their fun and let all the normal people use classic controls if they'd like. There's literally nothing in any of these games that can't be tied to a button press.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yep. I don't mind the waggle in Galaxy, you're right. But it's still just mapping something to a shake that could be executed by pressing a button.

Capcom did it perfectly in Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. Plug in a Gamecube controller, it's identical to the Gamecube version. Plug in a Classic controller, and it's essentially the PS2 controls. Plug in a nunchuk, and you get some of the most well-executed motion controls on the system-- I wouldn't even want to use the classic-style controls, but they give you the option and that makes it the best version of the game, for anyone who wants to play it.

The Wii version of Twilight Princess should have been the definitive version, with options for control type and handedness.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Exactly, that's why I was so appreciate of the Wii version of RE4; they took everything into account.

PS2 bonus features + real-time cutscenes of the GC version + PS2/GC/Wii controls. Absolutely fantastic.

(Totally went with GC controls for that one)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I see people saying that Nintendo doesn't innovate and rehashes they're titles, but hell, most games out there especially the "big, epic AAA blockbusters" are always the damn same thing and have been for years with rare exceptions. At least Nintendo tends to add plenty of new things that, to me, diferentiates the sequels. Double standards hell yeah.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can turn the pointer off in TP (not sure why you'd do that, bow with the pointer is fucking awesome). Shield bash is the only problem I find with the controls honestly, the rest works perfectly fine for me. The problem with the bash is that you need to be really precise.

When well done and in Nintendo games I consider them well done, I really like motion controls, pointing and touch screen. It might not add much sometimes and it might be less responsive, but they work perfectly fine all the same I never had a movement not register in any of the games mentioned above (asides from trouble with the shield bash).

I tried DKCR with the CCPro, but I went back to the regular controls, I dunno I guess I just like the physicality of the motion controls for the rolling and pounding as I did with the sword controls in TP, even if you could waggle randomly. One thing I particularly loved in NSMBW is the tilt, it's so intuitive and cool to turn the controller and keep playing with the controller tilted. And the little extra oomph you get from the spin is realy like all the times when someone unconsciously shaked a controller when jumping before the days of motion controlling. Plus it frees up the fingers to do other actions.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I need to buy this to make up for the fact I didn't get it on the VC, I've been a bad whore.

For those arguing about rehashing or whatever... I guess you can continue on but please don't bring up other games as examples of other companies being fresh. My brain hurts from the hypocrisy of some examples that are used.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Who actually shook their controllers when their jumped, except for three-year-olds who had no concept of how controllers worked?

I don't know

I'd rather the controls just work when I try to pick up shells in NSMB rather than it try to evoke something I never did in the first place

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who actually shook their controllers when their jumped, except for three-year-olds who had no concept of how controllers worked?

I don't know

I'd rather the controls just work when I try to pick up shells in NSMB rather than it try to evoke something I never did in the first place

I saw playtesters doing this for Quantum of Solace.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't know

Loads of people, if you never saw anyone do that you live under a rock :P Just like they "steered" the controllers when playing driving games. This happened all the freaking time.

Of course that you won't see TEH HARDCORE doing that (although it happens sometimes too), but yes, young kids and inexperienced people do that. I saw it all the time when I was a kid and I still do and considering that Nintendo is focusing a lot on that crowd... it makes perfect sense.

I don't get why you'd have a problem picking up a shell since it's just a button press *shrug*

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

I don't know

I saw playtesters doing this for Quantum of Solace.

Seriously.. I feel like this is a good place to insert the obligatory "this forum is not 99% of gamers" point.

Also, like others I feel like I've played OOT too much, but I'm still excited to have a portable version of it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a hard time taking this thread seriously. Hype simply isn't a factor here as this is a game that has already proven itself far beyond any point that it would need to. Like Akatsuki said, this is one of the best games of all time with all kinds of enhancements and in portable form for the first time ever. What more reason does one need?

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure I made all sorts of unneeded gestures and movements with my NES controller while making a jump in mega man or ninja gaiden.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ugh

So every time idiots are waving their controllers around in a moronic fashion on some stupid sitcom, there's a basis for that in reality?

Jesus.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was 6

Jars on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh

So every time idiots are waving their controllers around in a moronic fashion on some stupid sitcom, there's a basis for that in reality?

Jesus.
    Heart rate - 72 beats per minute.
    Body temperature - 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Mental state - Calm, collected, focused.

...It's time. *deep breath*

Let's play Super Mario.

Graviija on