Options

Super Robot Wars - SRW Z2 (PSP) - Break the World!

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Considering the lousy sales of the first one, probably never.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess that's pretty typical. People demand these games get brought over or made, and then don't buy them. Like the DS Chrono Trigger. EBA too, I think?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I own ACE:R for PS3. I've only played it once, though! I really need to sit down and devote some time to it, it seemed interesting.

I have almost beaten the NDS Endless Frontier game. I need to fix that. Anyone have any idea when the second one is coming out over here?

I have ACE:R. Finished it once. It has turned me off future ACE games. Something about how the mechs handle in the game and how a lot of the potentially cinematic fight sequences are really on-rail shooter "Chase" modes really rubbed me the wrong way.

Akilae on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ACE:R is one of the shittier games in the series. They ruined the mechanics in terms of having to use your standard attacks to charge up the use of your fancier moves- in the other games your fancier special attacks had their own ammo counts and recharge rates. The only moves that needed a bar to fill up for were combination attacks.

Dunno what you mean about the cinematic fights, honestly. The gameplay in general is vaguely similar to ZoE to me.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The biggest comparison between SRW and EF(aside from the sparse mechs) are the bosses' ridiculous amounts of HP. The final boss took way, way too long. It's not even challenging. Just tedious.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I'm just starting SRW L now, and I just got the partner up system unlocked.

My only question is, do units still suffer from lower will gains while partnered like in K?

Basically wondering if there's any particularly good reason to leave a unit solo, like having Mazinger Z/Mazinkaiser go solo so that he'll activate Mazin Power faster.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    EDIT: Also when I get Strike Noir and Stargazer, they're a pretty obvious partner up set.

I thought so too, before I got them. The thing is, aside from all the other reasons not to partner up units in K, Strike Noir and Stargazer's biggest strengths are good (C) attacks.
    So I'm just starting SRW L now, and I just got the partner up system unlocked.

My only question is, do units still suffer from lower will gains while partnered like in K?

Basically wondering if there's any particularly good reason to leave a unit solo, like having Mazinger Z/Mazinkaiser go solo so that he'll activate Mazin Power faster.

No will gain penalty. You'll also notice dramatic experience benefits from being partnered (as both partner units get full xp for anything that happens); I don't remember if that happened in K...

As far as solo pros: Attack Combo still only works solo, but it's weaker than in K (you have to be adjacent to a target, and for more than one pair your targets have to be adjacent) and I'm not far enough in L to know when you get more than a pilot or two past level 1 naturally. Also, partnered units can support attack and defend single units outside their partnership, so it doesn't hurt much to have a couple around.

Mith on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't believe so.

But either way, there's pretty much no reason not to partner up units. Chain attacks have been nerfed so no point in having solo units.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Second PV (with all the battle demos) to come out Feb 12th!

...Exclusive to a live event. It'll be released to the public on Feb 16th.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well that'll teach me to try and get a good deal.

The copy of SRW J I got off ebay is a cheap chinese knock-off.

I guess it is some very minor consolation that SRW W and K recognize it as J regardless, but less so considering I'll have to buy another copy from a seller I've dealt with before for my collection.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Baron Ashura.

On foot.

Yesssssssssssssssssss.

Edit: Better quality, complete with audience reactions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggj1lVsZoJw

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was beautiful. Audience reactions just made it though.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well color me impressed!

Akilae on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Banpresto: Keeping your SatAMs alive.

God I wish Hasbro would get Transformers all up in my SRW.

I haven't played all the way through a Super Robot Wars title since SRW 4. Man, that was quite the ride (and I had no fucking clue what half of the menus did or what anyone was saying).

Hopefully this gets a translation patch for the menus pretty quick and I can play it.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Menus are generally the easiest thing to figure out, really, if only because they generally don't ever change greatly.

Akurasu has a bunch of menu translations(and spirit command and ability translations and such), and once you play for awhile knowing what each option is, even if you can't read what the menu options say generally you can navigate them regardless.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Non-cam version of the PV available for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-2tVt4OWVQ

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, super excited to see Graham Aker attacking from the right side

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lots of reused Z animations. Can't say I'm really surprised, or even disappointed, as it still looks great even three years later.

I'm not sure how some of you plan on playing without knowing any Japanese. How are you going to use seishin or understand mission objectives?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yoko as a unit is pretty hilarious. Shame I don't recognize most of the stuff that got the crowd hyped.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Lots of reused Z animations. Can't say I'm really surprised, or even disappointed, as it still looks great even three years later.

I'm not sure how some of you plan on playing without knowing any Japanese. How are you going to use seishin or understand mission objectives?

dictionaries, online guides, that sort of thing.

Which is how I would be playing it if G Gundam was represented. It's not so I stay home once again.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If there wasn't Big O, DaiGuard, Votoms, and motherfucking Gurren Lagann I would agree with that.

These games aren't too hard to play even if you dont know any japanese at all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2011

My Japanese is sufficient and even if it wasn't SRW is not a hard game to play for the Japanese illiterate.

Seishin can be memorized, and there's a wiki that translates all the seishin. As for objectives? Kill all enemies, destroy a particular one, don't let them cross that line. They're not complicated.

I've been playing SRW since 2005.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've played almost every SRW to completion, some without any real guides, without any significant difficulty. (Well no that's a lie there were significant difficulties involved in F/FF but that has nothing to do with a language barrier)

I can't read any Japanese whatsoever. Menus barely ever change, and once you memorize what seishin are what once you're pretty much good for the long run because those only rarely change. And stage requirements, as mentioned, are usually pretty obvious. The only pain is the games that have skill points/ending points.

It sucks not being able to understand the batshit insane plots without a translation guide, but I enjoy the gameplay enough that I keep coming back regardless.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I guess it's possible to memorize the kanji then without really understanding what they mean? Like, you can tell the difference between 魂 and 愛 or 集中 and 根性 without thinking about it? Do you know what they mean, or just the effects they have on battle?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    effects in battle.

Trial and error.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    effects in battle.

Trial and error.
    This, plus there's always that little effect like the crosshair for Strike or the flames for Hotblood/Valor that helps indicate which seishin you picked.

Seishin usually cost the same throughout the games as well. Hotblood/Valor is almost always 40 SP.

CyborgZeta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pretty much just rote memorization, yeah.

I know what they do in battle, I technically know what many of them mean though that is only via secondhand knowledge.

And even if you haven't quite memorized them yet many of the descriptions have cues such as "30%", "1/4", "10", "HP" etc that make it easier to narrow it down.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Learning some basic Japanese doesn't take that long.

The more 'involved' method would be to watch all the animes in question and mimic what they do!

Also, since I've studied Chinese for a decade I can associate most kanji with the mandarin equivalent even if the words aren't exactly identical.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    *shrug* I know Chinese, not that big of a problem.

And it's SRW, 95% of the time there's really only one objective...

Akilae on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

dictionaries, online guides, that sort of thing.

Which is how I would be playing it if G Gundam was represented. It's not so I stay home once again.

The same dude who made G Gundam made Shin Mazinger, so you might want to check that out.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The tough part for me was always figuring out which stats were which in the upgrade screens.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    The tough part for me was always figuring out which stats were which in the upgrade screens.

Fortunately this is another area in which it rarely changes, aside from Limit and Accuracy stats. (I think they by and large did away with limit thankfully, but units having an upgradable accuracy stat seems to be more commonplace lately)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Goddamn shame I can't really read SRW. Z's story sounds really cool, especially how half the cast fights the other as the story progresses.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not really. The setup for the confrontation was essentially

'You're assholes!'

"Wait, we are? What did we do?"

"You know what you did!"

"I do? No, seriously, what-"

"Have at thee!"

*battle starts*

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's the banter between the characters that I'm most interested in. Alpha Gaiden's fan translation gave me a good sample of it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We should set up some kind of play-asia referral link chain for people planning to import it or something.

Just came to mind because I still need to order my copy, and I was going to see if anyone wanted me to use their referral link.

(Also, I have an extra play-asia coupon lying around, soon to be two extra as soon as my VC3 PSP accessory pack arrives. I'll probably post them when I get home from work later)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I would be down for this if it kicks off. If it doesn't, I'd be interested in your extra coupon.

Akilae on
  • Options
    Momento MoriMomento Mori Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is the greatest thread. That is all.

P.S. That is not all....So which SRWs do you guys think has the highest production value/most ridiculous animations? Original Generations (the Remake)? Because if I have to slog my way through lots of story I would love to comprehend I demand the highest pay off possible. Until I learn Japanese fluently, right after I'm finished with Mandarin, Hindi, and Turkish....Sigh.

Momento Mori on
    tumblr_m367g22SJP1qb9sxqo4_250.gif