As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]ty Chatty Bang Bang

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You bring shame to your gender....SHAME!
    Pretty dresses, rich husbands and shiny things should be the only things that occupy your minds.
    Babies, cooking and turning a blind eye to your husbands philandering later.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Make up can be such a pain in the ass. Especially in the mornings. 8am class? Fuck you, makeup. Put my hair in a ponytail and zombie-walk my way to class. YES. Hell, putting on makeup to go to any class seemed like too much, most of the time. I usually only put it on when I'm going out with some friends.

And yeah, I've got the being-cold issue, Iruka. One of my friends has been all "LET'S GET DRESSED UP AND GO OUT TO EAT" recently and I'm all, "ehhhhhh"....because I only own one dress that isn't a prom dress, and it's more for....summer.

I am also the worst lady.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    RE: Fancy dressing.

I suppose I should own a suit that's like, good, but as far as I can tell the only reason I can come up with for having one is to make my mother happy because she can then imagine my wearing it, despite the fact that I have absolutely no occasions to wear such a thing, and even if I did, I doubt I'd like it.

Of course, that may have something to do with growing up never having worn anything that even remotely fits me correctly, and I'd be ok wearing this theoretical "good suit", which, in theory, fits correctly and looks and feels alright. I know the theory is that suits are supposed to make dudes like "handsome fellow", and that would be great if it were true, but I'm somewhat more partial to the hypothesis that even the best suit would turn me from looking like "me, looking average", into "me, looking visibly uncomfortable".

So even with the societal obligation/guilt thing going on, I can't bring myself to justify spending a non-insignificant amount of money on something that I may never use, and even if I did, may hate.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i own several Barney Stinson style suits. And I SUIT UP regularly.

Seriously.

Church? Suit.

Home? Suit.

Bar? Suit.

BBQ? Suit.

Trail hiking? Suit.

Etc, etc...

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't really buy things like that unless a situation arrives where I need it. I think if you got a suit that worked for you, and had it tailored and such, you wouldn't feel so awkward in it...but then, even if you did get one, if you don't need it, there wouldn't be a point. :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have one suit that I spent a fair bit of money on for interviews, weddings and mafia meetings.
    The rest of the time I'm jeans and a t-shirt.

Though I'm being forced into shirts and pants at work now, so I found a local guy who has a factory in india that hand makes shirts. I'm quite enjoying wearing them, if I have to be in fancy clothes, they have to be really fancy or it's no dice.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't really buy things like that unless a situation arrives where I need it. I think if you got a suit that worked for you, and had it tailored and such, you wouldn't feel so awkward in it...but then, even if you did get one, if you don't need it, there wouldn't be a point. :P

The only thing I can think of where I'd need a suit is for a funeral, which doesn't give much time to plan ahead and get a suit tailored right. But I don't want to get one now, and have it not fit in 10 years or whenever when I actually need it, either.

The only way it makes sense is if I get the suit and then immediately go kill someone close to me, and that doesn't sound like a particularly great solution either.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I'm trying to buy more dresses, and the whole reason is I cant grow my hair out long, so I'm trying to balance out with other feminine shit. Honestly I look kinda weird in dresses and skirts. I have long legs and its really easy for skirts to look way to short.

I'd much rather dress as though Im preparing for a trip out onto a frozen tundra, but I like guys in suits.. so I have to put in a similar effort.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The only thing I can think of where I'd need a suit is for a funeral, which doesn't give much time to plan ahead and get a suit tailored right.

You really don't want to do a pressure suit buy for a funeral, I did that once and ended up with a suit jacket with shoulders so pointy they could take a mans eye out at three feet. It was a $400 folly that I never want to repeat.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mustang wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of where I'd need a suit is for a funeral, which doesn't give much time to plan ahead and get a suit tailored right.

You really don't want to do a pressure suit buy for a funeral, I did that once and ended up with a suit jacket with shoulders so pointy they could take a mans eye out at three feet. It was a $400 folly that I never want to repeat.

Yeah, the one suit coat I own has ridiculous pointy shoulders, I bought it for a job interview in a panic.

The interviewer's reaction was, "why are you wearing a suit, this the video game industry, dude."

That suit coat, and indeed any suitcoat, has not been worn since.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey you guys I am unlurking and I got me a shiny new avatar to celebrate.

I really want to make a thread but I don't have a scanner and my camera is crap. I hope you guys can forgive me coz I think I'm about to inflict some blurry pictures on y'all.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of my main problems with the whole dress thing is that only a certain kind of dress actually looks good on me. I can't wear flowing pretty dresses or skirts, or else my hips look massive, and legs stumpy. I have to wear the more fitted kinds, which are usually only okay for formal events, and not a Sunday stroll or whatever.

Also, apparently my mom thought I was a lesbian when I was younger due to my aversion to girly things. She pulled the whole "You know I'm totally okay with who you are right? You know what I mean" speech.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alyce wrote:
    She pulled the whole "You know I'm totally okay with who you are right? You know what I mean" speech.

Even though you're not a lesbian that is still pretty cool that she was okay with it if you were.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah, definitely. My mom's pretty much the best mom.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I deliberately dressed like a crazy lesbian in highschool because I knew I wasn't ready for a relationship. Also since people were unsure of my sexuality they didn't pick on me at all. Which goes to show how hippie liberal my high school was.
    What this means is that in the dark dregs of the internet there are pictures of me wearing tank tops (multiple) under flannel shirts, with cutoff cargo over opaque tights and combat boots.
    Also I had crazy greasy hair and was a pale skinny waif.
    Those were dark, dark days.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was the same way.

Only replace "skinny waif" with "kind of fat", and "Flannel shirts" with "black hot topic shirts".

Yeaaah.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of parental misinterpretation, my mother once accused my sister of being on speed. What brought on this accusation? Destructive, erratic behavior? Hanging out with people from a bad crowd? Evidence of addiction?

No, the smoking gun here was my sister was in the habit of studying very, very hard late into the night because she wanted to do well in school. Apparently there's a threshold of amount of study beyond which drugs have to be involved, at least in my mother's mind.

Now, I haven't known any people (to my knowledge) hooked on cocaine so maybe I'm misinformed, but I'm pretty sure that 'diligence in schoolwork' isn't one of the tell-tale signs of a junkie.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty much anytime its too cold to wear a dress I'm upset
    In the summer its nothing but a strict, strict diet of skirts and dresses

I go into a store and I have to literally tear myself away from clothes. Its become some kind of sick exercise of self control

Man my sister studies like that, except she's 11...

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a very narrow band of time that I can walk around outside in my preferred dress of a button-up shirt and tie, and it usually lies in a 1 week span in mid-October between the 80 degree autumn and the 20 degree autumn.

Most of my wardrobe lies in this rare and fleeting band of 50-60 degree weather.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Fugitive wrote: »
    There is a very narrow band of time that I can walk around outside in my preferred dress of a button-up shirt and tie, and it usually lies in a 1 week span in mid-October between the 80 degree autumn and the 20 degree autumn.

Most of my wardrobe lies in this rare and fleeting band of 50-60 degree weather.

Yeah, any sort of semi-formal to formal men's dress I've found gets very hot very quickly. Every time I watch a movie where the characters wear suits all the time when it's not visibly winter, I just sit there wondering how come they're not all sweating like pigs...especially taking into consideration if they're filming indoors under movie lights, which gets hot as fuck no matter what you're wearing.

Maybe I just generate an unusually large amount of body heat...but then, I don't have this problem wearing sweatshirts or coats, so I don't know what the fuck the deal is.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    AoB wrote:
    Now, I haven't known any people (to my knowledge) hooked on cocaine so maybe I'm misinformed, but I'm pretty sure that 'diligence in schoolwork' isn't one of the tell-tale signs of a junkie.

No, but impotence is. So any parent who has a teenage son should diligently monitor his ability to get an erection.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    AoB wrote:

No, but impotence is. So any parent who has a teenage son should diligently monitor his ability to get an erection.

I'm sure that when your daughter starts dating, the boys she brings home will be impressed by your strategy for making sure that they're on the up-and-up.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why is searching disabled? :\

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    AoB wrote:

I'm sure that when your daughter starts dating, the boys she brings home will be impressed by your strategy for making sure that they're on the up-and-up.

They'll be checked for rate of inflation and firmness, then I'll cut it off and tell them to get the fuck out.

Mustang on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nobody has given me criticism in my music thread :(

I guess this forum is mostly for visual arts

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Music never does very well here, I think it's the time commitment people need to make to it, with the downloading, listening and so forth. Whereas a visual art can be picked to pieces in under 30 seconds.

That being said, my work filter is blocking your hosting site so I can't listen to it regardless.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Probably to take load off of the servers until they get the new forum software running.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Forbe! wrote: »

Probably to take load off of the servers until they get the new forum software running.

Also because 99.8% of searches is just people searching their own name, the egotistical little shits.
    [/hypocrite]

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I did listen to your songs, but I have no idea how to crit music. I mean I could be like "Hey I like irish punk! do some of that!" but I dont think that'd help you :( Your music is pretty cool though!

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was actually trying to search my own name, hahaha...but it was for threads I created. I wanted to find the funny bunch of pictures people posted in one of my threads (Benjamin Franklin's head on one of my characters, dog eye-lasers, etc).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You can do the google search thing: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=17859343&postcount=3

Easier if you remember the thread title though.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Forbe! wrote: »

Also because 99.8% of searches is just people searching their own name, the egotistical little shits.
    [/hypocrite]

I run searches on my own name when I start arguments, don't finish them and want to see how they ended up. So far I've got a loss win ratio of 100-0.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'll go take a gander. Been playing music for like 12 years, and writing for 7-ish? Didn't see a music thread. sry :(

ninjai on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, I found something cool: http://vimeo.com/18280328

It's basically a half-hour video of two guys breaking in to various abandoned places around New York. Especially when you get to the bit about there being underground shanty towns littered throughout the city.

EDIT: It's pretty disappointing that Urban Exploration seems to have collapsed in Australia. There was an incident a few years back where two stupid guys drowned in a drain (they went in while it was raining) and forced all of the established groups underground (hurr).

Flay on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've decided to shoehorn myself into this community so everyone act normal while I take some notes.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Taya wrote: »
    I've decided to shoehorn myself into this community so everyone act normal while I take some notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMNJuSl91qY

ninjai on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Ok, my cat has decided to not eat the food that I put out for her. WTF!? She didn't eat anything yesterday and the food that is out for her this morning hasn't been touched either. I'm kind of worried. I'm really hoping that she eats today. If she doesn't I'm taking her to the vet to see if there's something wrong or if a neighbor has decided to start feeding her.

Grifter on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Found this on Gizmodo. I think we've all been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9DLxDtPtc&feature=player_embedded

Grifter on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Iruka wrote: »

I did listen to your songs, but I have no idea how to crit music. I mean I could be like "Hey I like irish punk! do some of that!" but I dont think that'd help you :( Your music is pretty cool though!

Thanks!
    ninjai wrote: »
    I'll go take a gander. Been playing music for like 12 years, and writing for 7-ish? Didn't see a music thread. sry :(

S'cool, where's your music thread? :wink:

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I just figured out that the wacom settings have an option for firmness and mine was turned all the way down instead of all the way up.

Hello actual line width.

I'm an idiot

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.