As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]ty Chatty Bang Bang

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One of my good friends from back in the day at Watts Atelier just asked me to be a groomsman at his wedding. Has anyone had to do this before? How much work is involved?

rts on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Very little work. I was a groomsman for a good friend from High School in November and, honestly, I just flew in the day before the rehearsal, was told where to go and where to stand during the ceremony and that was about it. Plus being a part of the wedding party meant riding around in the limo and lots of partying without the downtime that most guests have to deal with between the ceremony and the reception.

Uncle Long on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    But I love downtime!

rts on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm assuming bridesmaiding is a comparable workload & I've done that a few times. Not much expected of you unless you're the best man/maid of honor. Unless, you know, you prove to be that single solitary guy in the wedding party who knows how to tie a tie or a cummerbund or something.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cakemikz wrote: »
    One of my good friends from back in the day at Watts Atelier just asked me to be a groomsman at his wedding. Has anyone had to do this before? How much work is involved?

At least he didn't ask you to design the program or invitations.

NibCrom on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    NibCrom wrote: »

This happened to me at my friends wedding. We spent so much time on those invitations. I felt an obiligation because I was the best man....

MagicToaster on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    NibCrom wrote: »

This happened to me at my friends wedding. We spent so much time on those invitations. I felt an obiligation because I was the best man....

Yet another reason I'm glad I'm not a graphic designer, and why I try to hide my limited graphic design skills/work from people I know. (Unfortunately this has never stopped anyone from forcing me to do UI art at any of the jobs I've worked at. :x)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really enjoy my job... but after I get home I hate doing any sort of design work. Everyone always seems to want something. And everyone always seems to think its gonna take no time at all! "Just put in a nice background!", they say.

Yeah, right....

MagicToaster on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Next time just do exactly that, a nice picture of a smiling cat or something akin to that should do it.

m3nace on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    posted this in the questions thread, but, I know our 3d people are spread thin:

MAYA USERS. I want to make a custom button in my UI shelf. I cant seem to find the default maya icons to choose from, they arent in the icon folder. How do I gain access to the icons maya already has?

edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Iruka on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whoa whoa whoa guys did you know that hypnosis is illegal in wrestling? According to the announcer saying it like a million times, yes it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU4TDGlbTz8

Man, people are dumb.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought everyone knew hypnotism was illegal in wrestling.

its like, wwe 101

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Hypnatosis! He calls it Hypnatosis!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    O_o

Flay on
    edited February 2011
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Man, people are dumb.

Professional wrestling can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Man, people are dumb.

Professional wrestling [strike]can have a strong influence on the[/strike] is weak[strike]-minded.[/strike]

Man, I haven't had internet in 4 days... it's killing me. I gave in tonight and went to a local wifi joint, abloo bloo.

Prospicience on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How can anyone find that wrestling video anything but delightful.

Scosglen on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    because we all heard a billion neurons cry out...and silenced

Tam on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tam, your erudite snobbery will not erode my unabashed love for that video clip.

Scosglen on
    edited February 2011
    its much less brain destroying than the "hump you into submission" gif that came out of japan's wrestling scene

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited February 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    its much less brain destroying than the "hump you into submission" gif that came out of japan's wrestling scene

Oh, you mean this kinda thing?
    20090715.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    learn to grapple, kids!
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Tam, your erudite snobbery will not erode my unabashed love for that video clip.

I say. How dare you. I am a working class hero.

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Scosglen wrote: »

I say

Personally I was going to go with "You must do what you feel is right, of course" for my completely unnecessary Obi-Wan quote based reaction, but I thought maybe it was best to cut off the schtick before it got out of hand.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    forgive me Father, for I have not pun'd

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    japanese snacks are complicated :shock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZdtunydWdQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Argh, why did the people who made my awesome lead pointer have to go out of business (I know what you're thinking, and that 'add to cart' button just leads to a missing page'? I got one of those little ones, and it turned out to be incredibly shit, prone to forming balls of lead at the tip rather than the needle-sharp points I'm looking for. :x

Does anyone else use a lead holder pencil/know what I'm on about/have any suggestions for a good lead pointer? I've still got my awesome one for home use, but I want something to use at work as well.

Related, how come most Office Max/Office Depot/Staples type stores I've been in sell lead holders and replacement leads, but almost nobody sells the damn pointers along with them? I know there's the shitty ones on the back of the pencil (ugh!) and those sandpaper strips, but good God man, the technology exists for better points! Why should I have to point my leads like a goddamned savage, drafting in the wilds?!

[/rant that almost certainly nobody will have any idea what I'm talking about, thus making me look fucking crazy]

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    what size lead is that thing even for? I had no idea those existed, and I've never thought "my lead needs a point!"

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Just standard 2mm lead...why, what would your sharpen your lead with?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    my staedtler pointer was perfect
    I lost it

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    I've never sharpened lead. I didnt know that was a thing.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    I just... rotate my pencil.

Nappuccino on

edited February 2011
    Just standard 2mm lead...why, what would your sharpen your lead with?

http://www.dickblick.com/products/staedtler-mars-lead-pointer/

also it's got the little cotton things you can stab to get the excess off the surface

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    @Tam: maybe this Quint graphics one is just BS, I guess I'll pick up a more reputable brand version, even though both look exactly the same. The trupoint one is just so much nicer than any of those little ones I've used, though. :?
    Iruka wrote: »
    I've never sharpened lead. I didnt know that was a thing.

I mean, you do know what I'm talking about when I say "lead holder", right? And thus, why it needs to have some means of sharpening it the lead?

Well, even if you do, I'm going to explain anyway, because I've probably lost most people here anyway.

A lead holder is a kind of mechanical pencil. However, unlike a standard mechanical pencil it holds one, large length of lead, of the same diameter and length as you would find in a wooden pencil, and is held at the base by some metal prongs. Hence, 'lead holder'. A lead pointer does the same job as a pencil sharpener- but because the sharpener doesn't have to cut through a bunch of wood to get to the lead, a pointer generally doesn't use a (generally pretty dull) blade, but uses a metal strip like a file, or sandpaper to sharpen it. This means you can get much sharper points with a lead holder with a good lead pointer than you could with a standard wood or mechanical pencil- with one of the old school sandpaper pointer, you can get a point sharp enough that the pencil basically becomes qualified as a surgical instrument at that point.

It's also nice because unlike regular electric/cranked pencil sharpeners (not counting the little dinky one which are almost always shit), a lead pointer is very quiet, which is nice if you do a lot of night time drawing.

EDIT: I mean, look how sharp this thing is, compared to a 0.7mm lead mechanical pencil:
    leadholder.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    I forgot lead holders were a thing to. I never really used one. I use the clicky mechanical pencils, but these days Im rarely doing any extended pencil drawing.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    I forgot lead holders were a thing to. I never really used one. I use the clicky mechanical pencils, but these days Im rarely doing any extended pencil drawing.

Bah! Standard mechanical pencils are for peasants!

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    Pssh. Peasants that don't want to bother with bullshit.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    You just have no appreciation for the finer (pointed) things in life, as you've never had a chance to experience them.

So sad. So very sad.

<fans self with giant Victorian-era lace hand fan>

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    Tam on
    edited February 2011
    While that's neat, I'm not sure I'd drop $30 on something which gives a result that looks like pencil, but can't be erased...the results would just make me look like an incompetent/lazy artist who can't be bothered to get rid of stray marks/construction lines.

Also that video kind of makes the people selling it look like douchebags.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    What happened to those liquid pencils that people were excited about.

Iruka on
This discussion has been closed.