As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]ty Chatty Bang Bang

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd probably just use it for writing
    that video definitely was definitely trying too hard

Tam on
  • monmon63monmon63 Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    rack em'

monmon63 on
    Get So:!:me More Toilet Paper :!:
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    :shock: THAT is a large sig.

ninjai on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    nhuufuck crazy Catalans http://vimeo.com/16392519

m3nace on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My little blue sharpener has always worked great Kevin, I have one of the larger ones as well and I prefer it but for portability the little blue one has always been fine.

rts on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My neighbour was crying this morning. I hope everything is alright... it would really suck if his wife died, considering that they have a combined age of 5,000.

MagicToaster on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I prefer such soft lead that buying a lead pointer would just seem like a faster way to run out of drawing materials.

melting_doll on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My neighbour was crying this morning. I hope everything is alright... it would really suck if his wife died, considering that they have a combined age of 5,000.

The worst thing about my ex-roommate who was very very very sick was being kept awake by her crying, because you felt like an asshole, because someone is crying and you're just trying to sleep rather than helping, and what if they are dying? And etc etc etc.

Kochikens on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2011

Way to make me feel really sad, and then make me feel like an asshole for laughing when I got to the end of this sentence.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    OK, I just got home and I saw both of them together... shes alive.

MagicToaster on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm guessing she was rebuilt into an android.

NibCrom on
    edited February 2011
    That lady once bent over and her blouse flew open right in my face. I can still see her old saggy boobs when
    I go to bed.

MagicToaster on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *This post is mod-approved*

Greetings, Artist's Corner!

I am Rend, and as you may be able to glean from my signature, I am in the process of making an indie game that I intend to publish to XBox Live Indie Games (don't worry, the blog is not abandoned, merely halted for the moment). For a long time I've been learning, practicing, thinking and dreaming, but I've never done anything with my skills. This year that is changing. I am well on my way to creating this thing, but I need help.

You see, I can not art. I just can't do it. I mean, not the visual kind. I am a very competent musician (had an opportunity to join the Marine Corps military band on my saxophone with as much skill as a third year musician) and, I like to think, also a competent composer (which is the more relevant skill in this endeavor). However, when pencil touches sketchpad, my creative skill falls to pieces in a time span only describable as "immediate."

This is what I'm looking for in an artist:
    1. Willing to not get paid until I get paid...
    I am more than willing to compensate you monetarily for your help. In fact, I would insist on it. However, the truth of the matter is my game is being produced on a 0 dollar budget. We can work out the specifics, but when this thing goes on the market is when we will see the fruits of our labors.
    2. ...which means I need a person like me.
    The bottom line is that I am doing this for the love of the game, so to speak. This is entirely a work of passion. If the game does not sell well, I might not even get my publisher's registration investment back. Even though I'm going to put in a LOT of hours with this thing, that doesn't bother me. I want to see it happen, and I want to have a hand in making it.

Honestly I'd be surprised if anyone is still reading this. Here's what I will be needing from my artist:
    1. Concept art of the game's characters and objects
    2. Storyboarding of cutscenes/etc.
    3. Backgrounds and foregrounds for levels
    4. Sprites, textures, and animations for all of the game's objects and terrain, where applicable.

If you are curious about specifically how many and how much, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can get you rough numbers.

I will have rigid specifics for your output for things like size, positions, and that sort of thing. However, when it comes to the creative part of the art, as a musician I know that sometimes it's better to remain ambiguous. If you decide to work with me on this, I am not going to want you for your hand, I'm going to want you for your mind. This will be a chance for you to express yourself creatively within the technical specifications of the game itself. I'll give you as much or as little direction on how things should look as you need.

If you've actually finished reading this giant wall of text, thank you for your time. And if you're still interested in this (god help you), reply to me via PM and we'll talk. If you have any more general questions, or if I've not been specific enough or if you have comments or anything like that, feel free to just ask.

Rend on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This year has been too intense for me already. What a fucking rollercoaster of ups and downs. Christ.

NightDragon on
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That lady once bent over and her blouse flew open right in my face. I can still see her old saggy boobs when
    I go to bed.

Your wife doesn't have a problem with an old lady coming in every night to flash you as you go to bed?

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
    edited February 2011
    This year has been too intense for me already. What a fucking rollercoaster of ups and downs. Christ.

Is this another reference to the ongoing 'new job/apartment full of weevils' situation?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    It's in reference to a guy situation, in which I am emotionally murdered.

Also in reference to getting this fantastically amazing job, working with great people, moving to Providence and having what seems to be a great apartment situation developing, and all the stress of moving all over again...

...but all this happening back-and-forth, the good and the bad...though this past weekend was the absolute worst of it - I'm pretty screwed up right now.

It's just a blend of extremely intense emotions on opposite ends of the spectrum, and it's kind of overwhelming.

NightDragon on
    edited February 2011
    I'm torn between two possible responses:

Option A: <e-hugs all around>

Option Jerk:
    I know how it is, it really tears me up when I find out someone I like doesn't like Karate, too.

karatefight-hatekarate.gif

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    Nedroid ftw!

NightDragon on
    edited February 2011
    Nedroid ftw!

If anyone can karate your problems away, it's Karate.

I mean, Nedroid.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    by the by, did you guys know about the artist who painted herself boning each of the U.S. presidents? I found them to be funny, but it'd be hella NSFW, so I will just say that her name is Justine Lai

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    hahaha, yes

I think I recall the Lincoln one being especially funny

NightDragon on
    edited February 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    by the by, did you guys know about the artist who painted herself boning each of the U.S. presidents?

I...isn't that how everyone celebrates President's Day?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    edit: ND- hahaha yeah, I think the spanking one is the funniest one
    by the by, did you guys know about the artist who painted herself boning each of the U.S. presidents?

I...isn't that how everyone celebrates President's Day?

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    Quick somebody tell me how to recover a painting when photoshop crashes and you havent saved in over an hour.

Photoshop is such a piece of shit.

rts on
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the world of Learning to Save Photoshop Documents Every Five Minutes Because Photoshop is Such a Piece of Shit

I lost 5 hours of work on one of my finals during my senior year of college due to a PS crash...that was a damn strong reminder, let me tell you.

NightDragon on
    edited February 2011
    you guys just need to set one of your tablet function buttons to ctl+s and press it now and again

I don't know, can you do something with the temp file?
    is it just frozen and still up? you could try taking a screencap and work off that.

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    Maybe PS has gotten crashier since 7.0 (what I still use at home), but as someone who has to use Flash CS4 for 8 hours a day, these complaints only elicit a curt, bitter laugh from me. The only good thing I can say about its stability is that there no way you'll ever lose 4-5 hours of work to a crash, because it is physically impossible for it to stay up long enough to get that much work done in the first place.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    huh
    Is CS3 known for being really stable?
    I remember 7 would crash a bit, but CS3 has crashed much less.

Tam on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Flash is an elaborate instrument of torture designed specifically to undermine the animation process in every way and yet remain industry standard.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    huh
    Is CS3 known for being really stable?
    I remember 7 would crash a bit, but CS3 has crashed much less.

It's known for being more stable than the ones that came after it.

EDIT:
    Iruka wrote: »
    Flash is an elaborate instrument of torture designed specifically to undermine the animation process in every way and yet remain industry standard.

YES.

Somebody else knows my pain!

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    I actually got really lucky and I was zoomed in on by far the most time consuming part of the painting so I was able to screencap that and work from it at least. Unfortunately my reference was covering up part of it so now I have to repaint that and everything else that wasn't visible. Holy hell do I hate the digital medium. I literally just broke a gessoed masonite panel in frustration. Why do I put in so much effort to produce something that is just going to look mediocre anyways? I just need to break out the paint more often.

rts on
    edited February 2011
    You're right cake its totally worthless. Send me your tablet and never think about it again.

Also your dog.

AOB, TV paint just makes me hate flash even more. It works sooo well and flash is soooo bad.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    AOB, TV paint just makes me hate flash even more. It works sooo well and flash is soooo bad.

Have you used Flash for game stuff requiring ActionScript hookups? Believe me, it gets so, so much worse when not only does the thing crash all the damn time, and it doesn't put the line you want where you want most of the time, or any of the other million damn things Flash does poorly on the art/animation side of things, but you can ALSO end up completely destroying a build of the game because you didn't notice the art is hooked up to the code in some weird way. :x

I mean, thank God for Perforce*, but man what a pain in the ass.

*precise point where everyone else in this conversation becomes completely lost.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2011
    I have not done that but is sounds like the worst. Flash is a program made of demons.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    precise point where everyone else in this conversation becomes completely lost.

I actually know what you're talking about!!! hahahaha

NightDragon on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ctrl+S-ing when I take a break is an instinctive reaction now. Although now I have the problem of overwriting stuff that I didn't want to overwrite.

Also this

Flay on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cakemikz wrote: »
    I actually got really lucky and I was zoomed in on by far the most time consuming part of the painting so I was able to screencap that and work from it at least. Unfortunately my reference was covering up part of it so now I have to repaint that and everything else that wasn't visible. Holy hell do I hate the digital medium. I literally just broke a gessoed masonite panel in frustration. Why do I put in so much effort to produce something that is just going to look mediocre anyways? I just need to break out the paint more often.

If you want to look at the bright side, you could think of the first time around as having done a study, and now you'll be better prepared for when you go and redo it. Some people work like that as a matter of course.

Scosglen on
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Brother incoming. What do people normally do when family comes to town? This is a new experience for me.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Get a drink? Catch up on... stuff?

Fugitive on
This discussion has been closed.