As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]ty Chatty Bang Bang

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    oh my god why am I so friggin' cold

I've put on a woolly hat and all sorts of layers and turned the heater up and I'm just freezing.

tynic on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So guys, when painting from your likework, is your layers set-up as simple as background color--->linework--->flat values--->rendering?

Just curious.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just set everything to "7", turn the big knob until it clicks, add some oregano and let it do its own thing.

Wait what are we talking about here?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's approximately my system. But what the hell do I know about painting?

tynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    tynic wrote: »

Painter-5 tynic!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my system for digitally inking/coloring linework is beyond inefficient and I would not recommend it to anybody, but it is the way I taught myself to do it so I have a certain fondness for doing it 'my way' over using layers efficiently. (I usually have 2 copies of every layer I finish in case I overdo something... but then, I started off in ps7 and haven't upgraded past cs2 so I am p far from what is new and happ'nin' these days.)

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    So guys, when painting from your likework, is your layers set-up as simple as background color--->linework--->flat values--->rendering?

Just curious.

Mine is something like: bg color ---> flat colors ---> lighting (shadow + highlights) ---> Linework ---> Super Awesome Render Layer where anything goes!

F87 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Painter-5 tynic!

is this some kind of artist's gangsign or ...

tynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    F87 wrote: »

Just curious.

Mine is something like: bg color ---> flat colors ---> lighting (shadow + highlights) ---> Linework ---> Super Awesome Render Layer where anything goes!

Could you go more in depth about the lighting+shadows layer? I tried doing that a while back and failed horribly.

Godfather on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My painting method usually goes like this:

Fill layer with color
    New layer.... paint.

I like keeping things fairly flattened. If I have to test out some major changes Ill do it on a new layer until Im happy with it, and then flatten it back down.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Fill layer with color
    New layer.... paint.

I like keeping things fairly flattened. If I have to test out some major changes Ill do it on a new layer until Im happy with it, and then flatten it back down.

Yeah, I do merge all my shit after I get the colors and lighting down. It's so nice to be able to experiment with things on a new layer, I love that.

@Godfather - I just use a layer between my base colors and linework. I throw down shadows according to the lighting and form, then the same with highlights and just work it some until I'm ready to merge everything.

F87 on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fill layer with color
    New layer.... paint.

Pretty much this for me as well.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Just curious.

Yeah, that's pretty much what mine looks like.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also for anyone that voted for me, thanks!

I won a gaming computer :D

wakkawa on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Congrats, yo!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Yay wakk! You deserve it, I'm glad I caught that DA message.

Iruka on
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah congrats man, glad I voted lol

JeckalHyde on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Way to go,mate.

Grifter on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Congrats wak!

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is damn cool, congrats sir!

Flay on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I believe that, given the circumstance, this is appropriate Wak: w00t!

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    NibCrom wrote: »

Just curious.

Yeah, that's pretty much what mine looks like.

Same. Well, that's if it's a relatively simple drawing, and/or I'm feeling like keeping the number of layers low.

I used to use a crazy number of layers for everything I did (15+? Super-complex maybe 25?), and it ended up getting way, waaay too complicated, especially when I was trying to merge layers with different opacities and blending modes.

Now I typically use the same layer setup...but I separate certain sections (i.e. hair goes on one layer, skin goes on another layer, shiny things go on another layer, etc). When I learned about clipping masks (OMGOMGOMG the best thing ever), it seriously helped me out, and it allows you to make changes on entire sections of the piece without having to be careful about the edges of each section. They're seriously fantastic.

I usually have a couple of render layers, too. Bloom/glow effects, overall hue shifts, hot highlight spots, mass-scale subtle ambient lighting, etc etc etc depending on what I need.

Sometimes my top-most layer or two is a super-rough color sketch, to test some color schemes or basic rendering.

Multiply is my friend, though. It's extremely useful in lots of cases. I usually have my linework on the bottom somewhere, and that way I can use a Screen layer to lighten/color the linework, if I need to (which I've been doing more and more over the years).

That's only if I'm coloring linework, though. If I'm making an organic environment or speedpainting or something, that's 95% all on one layer, with maybe two or three layers on top for "effects" that would be very hard to go back from if I added them to the paint layer.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in the middle of playing through the Dragon Age 2 demo... HOLY CRAP it's like watching a movie, reading a comic book and pretending to be chinese warriors from a Zhang Yimou movie with your friends at age 10... It's awesome!

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Clipping Mask was the greatest painting discovery i've made yet in Photoshop so far.

Godfather on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Clipping Mask was the greatest painting discovery i've made yet in Photoshop so far.

For those of us playing at home, how does one use Clipping Mask?

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well I got a wild hair up my ass and decided I could take weekend classes at Watts.

Someone convince me this is a good idea.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Enc wrote: »

Put a layer above the one you want to paint over, then hit CTRL + ALT + G

Godfather on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The tool that made me go "Wow, this was in here?!" was Illustrator's Align window. I use it every single day. Sometimes, when I'm on a date with my wife, I think about the Align window.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    congrats wakk! incidentally, how does one join the da group on here? despite having a da account for going on 10 years i am more or less illiterate in their site navigation.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well I got a wild hair up my ass and decided I could take weekend classes at Watts.

You should do it because i can't.

That makes sense, right?

tynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You should do it because i can't.

That makes sense, right?

That is exactly the logic I needed. I'm doing it!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, some toilet humor. I'm in a bathroom at this hole in the wall coffee shop, kinda a "hip" little place. I look up at this serene picture of a seagull flying and next to the seagull it says, "Sometimes..." and then below in smaller type it says, "it feels good to poop." I then notice that right above the last bit of text, there's something floating through the air, yes indeed, it is seagull poo. I don't think I've ever laughed out-loud in a public restroom before, and thankfully there was no one else in there. Caught me way off guard.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

So I'm looking at this and I'm wondering what this is doing that is different from a normal layer. Can anyone help a photoshop novice understand this tool?

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

So I'm looking at this and I'm wondering what this is doing that is different from a normal layer. Can anyone help a photoshop novice understand this tool?

Oh.

OH.

Holy divine sweetness, this is amazing.

Enc on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    congrats wakk! incidentally, how does one join the da group on here? despite having a da account for going on 10 years i am more or less illiterate in their site navigation.

PM me your DA name. I try to hit up regular posters, but when people dont have DA in their sigs, I don't always know they are on it.

The clipping masks just makes it so you can fill a shape with an image right? Is something else happening that is causing you all to have orgasms?

Iruka on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, some toilet humor. I'm in a bathroom at this hole in the wall coffee shop, kinda a "hip" little place. I look up at this serene picture of a seagull flying and next to the seagull it says, "Sometimes..." and then below in smaller type it says, "it feels good to poop." I then notice that right above the last bit of text, there's something floating through the air, yes indeed, it is seagull poo. I don't think I've ever laughed out-loud in a public restroom before, and thankfully there was no one else in there. Caught me way off guard.

Today my friend told me if he ever gets a vanity plate it will say "luv2poo"

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »

PM me your DA name. I try to hit up regular posters, but when people dont have DA in their sigs, I don't always know they are on it.

The clipping masks just makes it so you can fill a shape with an image right? Is something else happening that is causing you all to have orgasms?

Half of the time I spend on coloring is clearing what went beyond the scope of my lines/flat color layer. I didn't know there was a way to keep my shadows/highlights from bleeding beyond what I was working on.

I'm very much a novice with photoshop, despite having it for years. Lack of formal training makes little things like this and your color picker tutorial mind blowing when you've been doing it the long/wrong way for years.

Enc on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, identity theft kind of sucks.

I got some particularly malicious asshole who got his mitts on my CC and billing info, sent it around to a bunch of fly by night scumbag businesses, to purposefully harass me as far as I can tell, since shit is showing up at my house and seedy companies are calling me now. I've gotten a new surprise every day since Saturday. It's like opposite-christmas.

Thankfully my bank has some space age computer wizardry and noticed weird shit on my credit card almost right away and they're doing their thing, I'm just hoping this potpourri of bullshit will end soon.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Been there, Scos. Well, not the shit on my doorstep, but seedy overseas companies trying to put ridiculous charges on my card. Try and change as much of your info as you can. And be vigilant.

woot for wakk

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.