As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]ty Chatty Bang Bang

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Dutch water, specifically that from my home province is quite good as well. I'ts because there's a lot of chalk in the ground there, which acts as a natural filter, so practically all that needs to be done is take out the excess chalk from the water and it's good to go.

Where in the netherlands are you from actually?

Limburg! Tegelen, to be specific, which is just below Venlo.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never tasted water as good as it is here in Colorado, so refreshing aaaaaaah.

mmm colorado water. :)

ninjai on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've never tasted water as good as it is here in Colorado, so refreshing aaaaaaah.

Jerk :(

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Jerk :(

Awww, well I did live in TX for 5 years in which I had some of the worst water I've ever had...

Prospicience on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We have pretty good water here
    i remember going to this one pizza place downtown, really over priced italian pizza/gelato place (so worth it)
    and me and my 3 friends all remarked on just how good the water tasted
    i generally don't really dig just drinking water, i drink juice and stuff that tastes delicious
    but man that water i could drink like water!

also what is a good way to photograph paintings?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RubberAC wrote: »
    We have pretty good water here
    i remember going to this one pizza place downtown, really over priced italian pizza/gelato place (so worth it)
    and me and my 3 friends all remarked on just how good the water tasted
    i generally don't really dig just drinking water, i drink juice and stuff that tastes delicious
    but man that water i could drink like water!

No flash.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Having tasted your American water and therefore being in a position to compare the two, I can safely say that your water is gay baby poop compared to the magnificence of Dutch water.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I just beat AC: Brotherhood.

I like how
    both in this game and AC2, the Big Bad Final Boss has proved to be extremely vulnerable to cheap, repetitive, and overtly comical tactics.

Last game it was throwing the pope into a wall repeatedly, in this game it was constantly kicking a douche in the nuts while his minions looked on (in my mind, half-helpless, half-trying not to laugh at watching a guy get his groin treated like a soccer ball.)

I hope AC3 keeps up the tradition and whatever templar freemason conspiracy alien religion wizard computer hallucination you end up fighting gets their ultimate comeuppance via 3 Stooges-style eye-pokes and noogies.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I like how
    both in this game and AC2, the Big Bad Final Boss has proved to be extremely vulnerable to cheap, repetitive, and overtly comical tactics.

Last game it was throwing the pope into a wall repeatedly, in this game it was constantly kicking a douche in the nuts while his minions looked on (in my mind, half-helpless, half-trying not to laugh at watching a guy get his groin treated like a soccer ball.)

I hope AC3 keeps up the tradition and whatever templar freemason conspiracy alien religion wizard computer hallucination you end up fighting gets their ultimate comeuppance via 3 Stooges-style eye-pokes and noogies.

Huge spoiler if you haven't beaten it...
    I'm really interested to see where they take it as desmond is kinda dead now. Does he live on in some sort of spirit world and become the avatar or what? I need to know these things

Prospicience on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That post made me remember my finest moment in gaming.

It was metal gear solid 2, near the end in the battle with all the metal gear rays. I was on the ultimate difficulty or whatever it was called, with no radar. So getting there was hard enough. But the actual fight was like 40 minutes long. And it was like one slip up, one missed button, and you were dead. I have never focused on anything so intensely. That was an odd feeling that I would pay money to experience again.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I like how

Huge spoiler if you haven't beaten it...
    I'm really interested to see where they take it as desmond is kinda dead now. Does he live on in some sort of spirit world and become the avatar or what? I need to know these things

Is it bad if I'm really not interested in Desmond and The Gang and the Ancient Sci-Fi Conspiracy nonsense at all? When (especially in AC1) the game forces me to pay attention to the modern day story part...you know what's it's like, it's like when you're a kid, and you want to watch cartoons, because you like watching cartoons, right? But the people the program the TV channel think their ratings will go up if kids saw some "hip" "youths" that kids can "relate" to doing lengthy bumps before and after every cartoon.

Only, you know, the kids just want to see the damn cartoons, and if you got rid of these obnoxious shits in primary color shirts you could show more cartoons, and that would be better.

Ok, maybe it's not that bad, but it's like, I don't really need some extremely elaborate excuse for wanting to jump around and stab people in a video game, because it's a video game. Points for wanting to put some thought into it, but I can't help but not be riveted if you take me out of this lush historical fiction fantasy world for the Adventures of Hoodie Guy, Asshole British Guy, Blonde Woman, and Straight-Out-Of-The-Mid-90's Hacker Girl.

Also, it's kinda strange that now that they have Desmond actually doing stuff (whether this was planned from the start or was in response to people being really annoyed at him not doing jack shit in AC1, I dunno), you've got the virtual world where health is represented as a computer construct and you don't die, you 'de-sync'...and then you've got the "real world", where because the "real world" doesn't have things like "on-screen UI", you've suddenly got your "real world" character not registering damage or being able to die. That made a kind of sense when he was just sitting around on a tanning bed and taking naps, but putting him in situations where he can take 300' falls makes his sudden invincibility pretty conspicuous.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and I just didn't try to kill him enough, but I'm pretty sure I took some falls with Desmond that would have killed Ezio outright.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really couldnt get into Assassins Creed. i loaned it to my brother and that day they broke into his home and took the X-Box. He said "Im sorry, Assassins Creed was in it". I was little happy that someone took it. Secretly, I wanted him to play it and be bored to death.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yup I haven't played any AC since the first because I found it to be too much of a slog. I hear they've improved that some in the newer ones though, so I'll have to get back into it sometime.

Right now I'm playing Ratchet and Clank a Crack in Time and I'm finding it rather wonderful. Sorta like Jet Force Gemini mixed with Mario Galaxy with a pinch of Star Fox. I kinda don't want it to end.

Some of these weapons are insanely awesome, they've got one that fires a discoball making enemies dance on the spot, and one opens up a dimensional rift where a chthuluesque monster pulls in nearby enemies.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RubberAC wrote: »

Taking it outside on an overcast day works well.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    ACII and Brotherhood are much better than the first game. There's a lot more variety to the missions and they took out things like having to ride from city to city on your horse. If you were lukewarm about the first game, you really should check out ACII.

I personally enjoy the crazy sci-fi conspiracy theory stuff. I have no idea if the story is going to make any sense when (if) they finally wrap it up but I do like that whole layer of weirdness on top of the historical assassin stories.

I'm not sure where Prospicience is getting that
    Desmond is dead. He stabbed Lucy at the end of the game and when the credits start, we hear people talking about getting someone into the Animus (either Desmond or Lucy) because they're going into shock, but I didn't get the impression that he was dead.

In other news, someone pulled the fire alarm in my building at 2:40 AM last night. Luckily our building has a big lobby and they didn't make us stand around outside in -25 C weather.

What really surprises me (beyond someone pulling the alarm "for fun"), is how many people don't bother to evacuate their units when the alarm goes off. I have never actually been in a situation with a real fire but we did have one alarm last year where someone had dropped a cigarette into a potted plant on a balcony which had a bunch of dried moss or whatever in the base and it was sending clouds of smoke into the building. Even then, a large number of people just decided to wait it out inside without knowing how serious it was.

Is it really worth staying in your unit and waiting to find out if you're going to burn to death? It's not like you're getting back to bed with the alarm blaring and emergency lights flashing. It just seems like a really stupid risk to take.

DMAC on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hello all!

I've been neglecting the chat thread. I love you all!

I moved in to this place on the first of the month. It's exciting and I'm already starting to get work out of it. Hooray! :) The artists here are very friendly and sort of extremely talented.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DMAC wrote: »
    ACII and Brotherhood are much better than the first game. There's a lot more variety to the missions and they took out things like having to ride from city to city on your horse. If you were lukewarm about the first game, you really should check out ACII.

I personally enjoy the crazy sci-fi conspiracy theory stuff. I have no idea if the story is going to make any sense when (if) they finally wrap it up but I do like that whole layer of weirdness on top of the historical assassin stories.

I'm not sure where Prospicience is getting that
    Desmond is dead. He stabbed Lucy at the end of the game and when the credits start, we hear people talking about getting someone into the Animus (either Desmond or Lucy) because they're going into shock, but I didn't get the impression that he was dead.

In other news, someone pulled the fire alarm in my building at 2:40 AM last night. Luckily our building has a big lobby and they didn't make us stand around outside in -25 C weather.

What really surprises me (beyond someone pulling the alarm "for fun"), is how many people don't bother to evacuate their units when the alarm goes off. I have never actually been in a situation with a real fire but we did have one alarm last year where someone had dropped a cigarette into a potted plant on a balcony which had a bunch of dried moss or whatever in the base and it was sending clouds of smoke into the building. Even then, a large number of people just decided to wait it out inside without knowing how serious it was.

Is it really worth staying in your unit and waiting to find out if you're going to burn to death? It's not like you're getting back to bed with the alarm blaring and emergency lights flashing. It just seems like a really stupid risk to take.

Yeah I dig the crazy conspiracy sci fi stuff too
    I thought desmond was dead because before he stabs lucy Minerva was talking about how Desmond needed someone to join him on his "journey". And then he stabs lucy... I guess they both might not be dead, that's just what I got from it.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

The morning after my survival training I came home and had an extremely long shower/bath and the fire alarm happened to go off while I was in the bathroom. Did not leave, even though the speaker was right outside the door and almost painfully loud.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    When I was living in the residences at the University of Alberta, false fire alarms were a regular occurrence. I guess it's one of those things that seems like it would be funny when you're super drunk.

One time the alarm went off while the residence pub was operating and on those nights, the policy was to check everyone's residence ID cards before letting them back into the building. We were all standing around in our pyjamas and of course, nobody had bothered to bring their ID down with them so they were manually looking everybody up in a Rolodex one at a time before letting them in.

I got so angry at the stupidity of it that I just started walking past and ended up being restrained by two security guys. I decided it wasn't worth punching anybody over so I went for a long walk around campus in my pyjama pants and T-shirt to cool off before coming back to the building.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also: Happy Bombday, Birthbardier.

DMAC on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bombday doesn't sound nice... Anyways happy birthday bombs! May your potential beard never stop growing.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh Jesus.

I've never been a huge comic book fan, but I've enjoyed comics before, and on occasion I'm in the mood for seeing if there's anything interesting out there. (Mostly after reading the GV awesome moments thread).

But man, after reading some of this, my intimidation of entering comic book shops has instantly doubled.
    http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

Doesn't Melting Doll work in a comic book shop? I'm so, so sorry if it's like this.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I just remembered the settlers series. The settlers 3 and 4 was my childhood and has in fact largely made me what I am today. It got me really interested in ancient civilizations and history. Boy I miss that game.

m3nace on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tron Legacy

Was a lot of fun. Someone buy me the art book.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't leave my unit during fire alarms, because there have been an absurd amount of faulty false alarms, and I also feel confident in my ability to get down from my balcony should the walls actually start to get hot.

Which wouldn't be the cue obviously. Just watch through your window. When the firefighters show up, do they hustle to the front door? Do they tell everyone standing in front of it to step further away from the building? No? Then I'm putting my pillow over my head and going back to sleep.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I live in a 20-story building so it's not really a "hop over the railing if you see flames" kind of thing for most people. Also, I'm not sure what kind of fire alarm you have but the alarm in my building is ridiculously loud and flashes strobe lights for the hearing impaired.

DMAC on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When I used to dorm, some guy decided it would be hilarious to set fire to newspapers he taped to the (metal) door of his dorm, as a prank to his roommate who was still inside. That was on the 7th floor, and I was on the 11th, so I had to run down the stairs in thick smoke to get out of that damn building. The 7th floor was totally fucked up, and the guy got expelled and charged with arson, SURPRISE!

So yeah, if an alarm is going off, I get the fuck out of there.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bacon I wonder where that person lives that they have such strange people living around. Like, I feel like most geeks and nerds around here at least have more self-respect.

Fug I liked Tron too. Way to be cool.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh Jesus.

I've never been a huge comic book fan, but I've enjoyed comics before, and on occasion I'm in the mood for seeing if there's anything interesting out there. (Mostly after reading the GV awesome moments thread).

But man, after reading some of this, my intimidation of entering comic book shops has instantly doubled.
    http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

Doesn't Melting Doll work in a comic book shop? I'm so, so sorry if it's like this.

I linked that on my facebook about a month or so back, read through the entire run, then promptly forgot about it. Which is A-OK, because now there will be a wealth of new ones I haven't read yet!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I live in a 20-story building so it's not really a "hop over the railing if you see flames" kind of thing for most people. Also, I'm not sure what kind of fire alarm you have but the alarm in my building is ridiculously loud and flashes strobe lights for the hearing impaired.

Watch some Jackie Chan movies and start practicing dropping from one level's balcony to the one below!

That's not actual advice because Jackie Chan was pro and still wound up almost dying like every time he filmed a movie.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    .Tripwire. wrote: »

Watch some Jackie Chan movies and start practicing dropping from one level's balcony to the one below!

That's not actual advice because Jackie Chan was pro and still wound up almost dying like every time he filmed a movie.

The actual advice is rappelling down on a firehose, a method endorsed by such police emergency safety experts Det. John McClaine and Det. Tequila.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    This evening I wound up watching the last twenty minutes of Machete.

It did not make me want to see the rest of the film.

tynic on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yessssss apartment-touring tomorrow and the next day! :D

So glad I've found places that fit my needs, wooo

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah the last 3rd of Machete is unfortunately not as cool as the first 3rd IMO.

Also yay ND.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What is it with you people and moving? Moving places is the worst, apparently it's the second most stressful thing you can do next to divorce.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shit I think I just wasted an hour watching NBA fight videos on Youtube...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    <3:):!:happy birthday bombardier;-):wink:

mully on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Happy B-Day, Brombledeer!

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options