Options

[Sneakers]: Not really for sneaking

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nike-sb-dunks-1-ferris-bueller.jpg

you can change the laces out to solid white which I prefer.

Shogun on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    ss1001-white-duo-full.jpg

these

RubberAC on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OK, so I've changed my mind a little, in light of comments and further searching.

The new line up (Creative Recs and Super Debs out of the running now)

im]shiftrs-blue-shc1037-latful.jpg
    im]
    Middle fo' sho'.

Top is not a bad choice but I like the blue more than the grey.
    Bottom is not bad either but I feel like they're almost too radical, especially with the velcro cross straps and overall design but eh

Also the nice thing about the middle option is that you can put all kinds of crazy as fuck laces on it. A lot of colors go with blue.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    By the way fartacus my favorite Claes are the Thompsons.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a pair of brown Onitsuka Mexico 66s that I wear all the time. They are about three years old now. I also have a pair of Onitsuka Lawnships in white and gray, but I only wear them in the summer. Suede is such a pain in the ass to keep clean. And I have a pair of black Superstars, but I step in dog shit every single time I wear them, regardless of where I walk or how careful I am.

I really like these Seavees shoes, but there is no way I can afford any shoes right now.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap high tops have gotten ugly.

Also re: sneakers at work - unless you're IT or want to look like a scrub, NO.

schuss on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    schuss wrote: »

Yes. Business casual does not mean "sneakers," generally. Why would you want to dress like a teenager at work?

And high tops have always been ugly.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ExrielExriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »

Yes. Business casual does not mean "sneakers," generally. Why would you want to dress like a teenager at work?

Not to derail any further, but I think the work dress code issue is really a case-by-case thing that you need to assess for your individual workplace/boss situation. It varies a lot from business to business and even within the same company. I work for a decently large tech company and while a lot of the Execs/Lawyer types wear suits/dress shoes, pretty much everyone else wears basically anything within reason. I even see our CFO, CTO, etc. walking around in jeans/sneakers fairly often. They tend not to be bright high top sneakers, but you get the idea.

On topic, while I could never pull off the top to bottom style commitment I think is really required for some of the more interesting high tops and color combinations, I am very jealous of those who can. Here specifically, I think I like the blue like everyone else, but the grey w/orange also intrigues me.

Exriel on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Or you work in the games industry :P

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

It depends on how you wear it.

I think it's a lot more respectable to be the guy in the office with some swagger and a purposeful aesthetic than the schlub wearing an ugly short-sleeve button down, ill-fitting khakis, and boring loafers.

You can of course also rock biz cas without sneakers and still look great, but as far as poor choices in office-wear, I think if you're at all stylish that puts you pretty far ahead of the pack.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Software Dev - counts as IT.

Fartacus - you think you look cool, a lot of other people think you look immature. It really does depend on the company, but note there are still plenty of companies that only GRUDGINGLY accept business casual. In your age group you're fine, but when you're talking to an older person, they will often think sneakers/shirt untucked etc. is disrespectful.

schuss on
  • Options
    ConnorConnor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Fartacus - you think you look cool, a lot of other people think you look immature. It really does depend on the company, but note there are still plenty of companies that only GRUDGINGLY accept business casual. In your age group you're fine, but when you're talking to an older person, they will often think sneakers/shirt untucked etc. is disrespectful.

Yep, it's how the world works. It's ok if you don't accept it now, hang on to it while it lasts. Do drop the attitude that people who don't like loud clothing are fat middle age Midwesterners.

Connor on
    XBL/PSN/ORIGIN/STEAM: LowKeyedUp
    2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I think you have to gauge your own workplace and come to your own conclusions.

Yeah, if you're selling insurance in Topeka, I'm pretty sure you'll get some weird looks for wearing patent-leather high tops.

On the other hand, my most recent job was the AFL-CIO headquarters in DC -- neither the District of Columbia nor organized labor are exactly known for being meccas of style. If Richard Trumka didn't have a problem with my Claes, then I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Connor wrote: »

Yep, it's how the world works. It's ok if you don't accept it now, hang on to it while it lasts. Do drop the attitude that people who don't like loud clothing are fat middle age Midwesterners.

Nah actually I'm fine with clean, understated lines and a reserved aesthetic. Many days you'll see me wearing chinos, a sweater with a button-down underneath, and some perfectly nice oxfords or chukka boots.

Then people came in and shat up my thread about kicks with their condescending opinions about fashion and footwear while posting butt-ugly crap that is only accepted because it's so incredibly tame, but still looks like ass.

If you want to go traditional -- fine. Just don't shit up my thread, and do traditional correctly. Personally I would probably never wear anything by Rick Owens or Thom Browne, but I can recognize it's an aesthetic and I don't just go "lololol ur jacketz is asymmetrical." No shit sherlock, they're supposed to be.

I didn't say shit until a bunch of people (who posted almost exclusively ugly, boring-looking shoes) came in here and crapped all over anything that wasn't brown, white, or black. You call my shit rainbow-colored vomit for middle schoolers, and I will point out that your footwear would look at home on the feet of a sixth-grade social studies teacher in Ohio with back problems shopping for chicken wings at the Giant Eagle.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    ConnorConnor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think you have to gauge your own workplace and come to your own conclusions.

Yeah, if you're selling insurance in Topeka, I'm pretty sure you'll get some weird looks for wearing patent-leather high tops.

On the other hand, my most recent job was the AFL-CIO headquarters in DC -- neither the District of Columbia nor organized labor are exactly known for being meccas of style. If Richard Trumka didn't have a problem with my Claes, then I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear.

This is true, but really if you are in a professional environment you shouldn't be wearing just what you can get away with. However, this isn't the thread where we discuss dressing for the job you want and all. Commence with the colorful shoe pictures.

Connor on
    XBL/PSN/ORIGIN/STEAM: LowKeyedUp
    2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I actually gave a young guy similar advice a while back. He was a snappy dresser, but he wore (fashionable and expensive) sneakers to the office. The kid is sharp and he's going places, but I told him that he probably wants to get rid of the sneaks and get into some more businessy shoes.

I'm only 35, but if someone showed up at a meeting in sneakers, I'd wonder what they were thinking coming to work dressed like that.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited January 2011

I actually gave a young guy similar advice a while back. He was a snappy dresser, but he wore (fashionable and expensive) sneakers to the office. The kid is sharp and he's going places, but I told him that he probably wants to get rid of the sneaks and get into some more businessy shoes.

I'm only 35, but if someone showed up at a meeting in sneakers, I'd wonder what they were thinking coming to work dressed like that.

Yeah but aren't you a lobbyist or something? That's a suit-and-tie sort of industry.

I work in politics. On a campaign, the only people who wear suits are the ones talking to the press.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah but aren't you a lobbyist or something? That's a suit-and-tie sort of industry.

I work in politics. On a campaign, the only people who wear suits are the ones talking to the press.
    I rarely wear suits these days. Only for certain meetings. I'm business casual like 95% of the time. My last job was at a big firm that allowed jeans on Fridays, but sneakers of any kind were still verboten.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited January 2011
    I rarely wear suits these days. Only for certain meetings. I'm business casual like 95% of the time. My last job was at a big firm that allowed jeans on Fridays, but sneakers of any kind were still verboten.

Right. So, again, you need to feel it out depending on where you work.

I mean if you worked at some kind of creative firm, you'd probably get looked down on for not wearing sneakers. This doesn't mean you should wear sneakers everywhere.

And aren't we forgetting here about the shoes that you wear out and about, but not to work? Also, many people on this forum are in school, where colorful kicks should go over just fine.

But, again -- if people want to post tame sneakers, be my guest. Just don't write off all colorful high-tops in one post and then put up a picture of fugly mom-sneakers. There are plenty of awesome kicks that are understated, with clean lines and conservative styling/colors.

In fact, many of the brands I've posted have more traditional offerings. Not wanting to wear sky-high bright red shoes in patent leather isn't an excuse for wearing crappy sneaks.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I love my Clae Russells, but I can also appreciate the more subdued Diego:

CLA01237_1317.jpg

Fartacus on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, I'm definitely thinking I should try something different in the shoe department now. For the last few years I've been pretty much exclusively wearing flip-flops and these:
    1179612-p-2x.jpg

Before that I just wore low-top chucks since I was little.

I might look into something crazy like those super debs, it's been years since not having to tie shoe laces is probably a major factor in my liking loafers so much.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How old are you? What kind of clothes do you wear during your free time?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honestly if you don't want to bother with lacing; most high tops you don't bother to actually lace.

As for Velcro straps, I'm a big fan. I'd say take a look at the first page and the shoes I posted there that I said I'm wearing a lot right now: The Russell by Clae, and the Viktor by Zuriick. You don't need to tie the Russell, and the Viktor has Velcro straps.

I think those Super Debs are amazing in all three colors, but they're not the most versatile shoe, it's true. You might want to get something with edge but subdued enough for daily wear. I think the Russell and the Viktor are both good choices for that (or really as starting places for a more thorough search)

Fartacus on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

[aside]
    Yeah no.

I dont think by even the loosest description of IT could you describe what I do as IT. I'm in concept development. Art. Painting.
    [/aside]

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also I bought the blue ones

shift-rs-blue-lookbook1.jpg

when I get my tax returns I think I will buy the Super Debs in red

Fartacus on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Embarrassingly, I've been rocking these for the past two years. They've held up rather well considering their cheap price, and they are surprisingly comfortable.

stevebarrysmarburytu4.jpg

My backup/"good" pair of shoes, thankfully, are much more conservative, being a pair of tan/brown Vans skateboarding low-tops. I can't find a good reference pic of how they look, though.

The Listener on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

[aside]
    Yeah no.

I dont think by even the loosest description of IT could you describe what I do as IT. I'm in concept development. Art. Painting.
    [/aside]

Creatives don't abide by rules, you should know that by now :wink:
    I consider design jobs to be completely out of bounds in terms "acceptable dress" as your artists should be able to dress how they want. I was referring to corporate/standard sector.

schuss on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    uh. does market research count as the IT/Games industry?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited January 2011

They count as an extension to marketing, which means depending on level you dress scrubby or nice.

Higher positions = meeting with clients = business casual or formal
    Lower positions = peon = jeans

(I can cheat on this one since my GF is in market research)

schuss on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

They count as an extension to marketing, which means depending on level you dress scrubby or nice.

I'll grant you that it would be silly to wear sneakers to the client. the rest is contested.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I'll grant you that it would be silly to wear sneakers to the client. the rest is contested.

Her firm (and 2 other firms she's worked at)-
    Lower end consultants - mostly jeans/some khakis etc. Ramping up as they move from junior to senior
    Project Managers - Nicer clothes, generally business casual to business formal (client meetings), fridays are generally jeans level
    Partners - full casual unless there are client meetings.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Her firm (and 2 other firms she's worked at)-
    Lower end consultants - mostly jeans/some khakis etc. Ramping up as they move from junior to senior
    Project Managers - Nicer clothes, generally business casual to business formal (client meetings), fridays are generally jeans level
    Partners - full casual unless there are client meetings.

much better.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Completely blue sneakers are terrible unless you wear them in something other than blue jeans. Even then, shoes that are a single color need a really, really good color to work. If I wanted blue on my shoe, I'd want it with something the color could play off of, like this:

1155467-p-DETAILED.jpg

or just an accent, like this:

1227693-p-DETAILED.jpg

Solid bright red is classic, though. Get those.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

those are cool to look at that. That blue is awesome. I don't think I could pull them off though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I think I'm gonna pick up a pair of these:
    1264463-p-2x.jpg

They definitely hit me in a way that's interesting but not to gaudy to wear with a pair of slacks that come down to the strap at work. I think they'd work well with jeans too which pretty much covers my entire wardrobe.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    those look pretty good, but I will let you know that I've heard that Creative Recs are somewhat disappointing in person compared to their pics when shopping online. I can't verify that personally, but this is what I have read in several places online.

I know I'm on a total Heyday kick right now, but I think the best way to do interesting-but-versatile is to grab a cool silhouette in a classic color -- typically black, white, brown, or black-and-white.

The Shift RS in black might be a good choice:
    shiftrs-black-lookbook-1.jpg

And I really want someone to get these and post pics in the thread because they seem like the coolest goddamn shoes ever:
    sscore-black-duo2.jpg

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, I tried on some Supra Skytops recently, and I thought they looked great in person.

S107PBLC_p.jpg

Might be a good choice if you're looking for something edgy while still somewhat versatile.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh damn if I hadn't just bought those iPaths, Supras would be a very strong consideration. Did some research and shit and found out they're functional skate shoes, which is always awesome.

I also like the look of their vaiders
    IMG_0021-490x326.jpg

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    shiftrs-black-lookbook-1.jpg

Hot damn that is an awesome shoe.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Those are cool to look at it, but I don't really like high tops. They make my feet too hot.

DouglasDanger on