As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bunny[CHAT]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I just realized that either girls have made the move, or I've been really drunk.

That's healthy.

It is isn't?

but you know

it has sort of worked

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I'm curious, do most people not have to take a course in high school covering things like balancing chequebooks, resume writing, banks and interest and loans and credit and all that jazz?

Career and Life Management was a required course for graduation here.

We had a thing like that but cheques did not feature. Mostly it was an along the lines of "here are things that people will do in order to scam you in a way that is nevertheless legal", with particular reference to consumer finance and credit cards.

I remember someone on the forums explaining to me at some point what it means to balance a chequebook but I don't think I retained it.

It's essentially writing down what's in your account and then every time you write a cheque, manually deducting that amount from your running total, because their system involves an N week time lag during which that promissory note is floating around and needs to be made good on but has not yet been resolved.

That ... seems like it would get confusing really fast.

Does this system take as an assumption that money will not be leaving your account by means other than by cheque?

EDIT: Or do you include that too and basically keep track of your balance entirely independently of your bank? What about direct debits, etc?

japan on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm curious, do most people not have to take a course in high school covering things like balancing chequebooks, resume writing, banks and interest and loans and credit and all that jazz?

We had a thing like that but cheques did not feature. Mostly it was an along the lines of "here are things that people will do in order to scam you in a way that is nevertheless legal", with particular reference to consumer finance and credit cards.

I remember someone on the forums explaining to me at some point what it means to balance a chequebook but I don't think I retained it.

All it is is keeping track of what you've spent vs. what's currently in your account via a personal ledger.

Quid on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    I'm reading a Warhammer 40k novel. That's at least 27 loser points right there.

It's pretty good though. Dan Abnett is a good writer, unlike random GW employees that felt that having worked at GW infused them with literary puissance and they can now crap out masterpieces.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Does this system take as an assumption that money will not be leaving your account by means other than by cheque?

Back in the day the only two methods were check or going to withdraw cash.

Nowadays it's not much use for most people.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I just realized that either girls have made the move, or I've been really drunk.

This is my experience as well. It's hard to chat comfortably without familiarity, especially when interested in the person.

Oh no I can chat with just about anyone

when I say "the move" I mean doing something more than chatting

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    If you're a nitpicky sort of fellow you can also go through the whole bank reconciliation process monthly and go into fine detail about those sorts of things

That's what I do once a week with MoneyWell.

Not that I really need to, but it's nice to see how much money goes where.

Echo on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    more commonly called "the thrust"
    Abdhy is into pegging

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Telling you man,

plummage

"Beau'iful plumage, mate!"

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This is my experience as well. It's hard to chat comfortably without familiarity, especially when interested in the person.

Oh no I can chat with just about anyone

when I say "the move" I mean doing something more than chatting

There's more than chatting?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's healthy.

It is isn't?

but you know

it has sort of worked

Alcohol as a social lubricant is not really healthy long term. Especially if thats your only method for talking to women.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gonna play me some WoW.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh great, more Shanadeus threads.

Echo on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cheques are cleared out of 7 or so national centres (you can deposit a cheque from Bank A, New York in Bank B, LA and it will get routed to the right center to actually resolve the transaction). To speed everything up, banks essentially float you an interest free loan ahead of the actual processing of the cheque based on what you tell the ATM it's worth or what the teller sees written on the face.

A few weeks later someone actually processes it and oh hey it's NSF or doesn't even exist so they pull the money back out of your account.

Now this model vastly predates computers and is mostly going the way of the Dodo. A lot of the time lag is caused by the lack of a central, agreed-upon standard communications network between all banks in the US, because you have like 8000 banks and they're a fractious lot.

All cheques clear in a single day here, because there is a single nation-wide electronic system, but you still can write a bad, fake cheque and have a similar situation happen if they recipient deposits it in an ATM, since those typically aren't picked up and processed until the next day.

Having grown up with a global communications network always available, it's basically unthinkable that it would work this way. So while someone who grew up with checks bouncing and shit might immediately see the scam, I've never once had money yanked back out of my account for any reason because every transaction I make is verified by machines before money changes hands. It's kind of weird that there's a system that we allow to stick around where this is not the case.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Echo wrote: »

He is providing fresh blood into the dnd forums

I can respect that

Eddy on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    G'night [chat]

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That's healthy.

It is isn't?

but you know

it has sort of worked

Alcohol as a social lubricant is not really healthy long term. Especially if thats your only method for talking to women.

My method for talking to women is talking to women. Like, opening my mouth and making noises.

I mean doing something more.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

He is providing fresh blood for the dnd forums

I can pity that

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The difference between respect and pity is your point of view

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

That's healthy.

It is isn't?

but you know

it has sort of worked

My method for talking to women is talking to women. Like, opening my mouth and making noises.

What do you mean doing more? Like you can't get it up unless your drunk?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It's essentially writing down what's in your account and then every time you write a cheque, manually deducting that amount from your running total, because their system involves an N week time lag during which that promissory note is floating around and needs to be made good on but has not yet been resolved.

That ... seems like it would get confusing really fast.

EDIT: Or do you include that too and basically keep track of your balance entirely independently of your bank? What about direct debits, etc?
    To have it work out properly you'd have to keep track of all outflow; so you'd have to write down all money withdrawals and debits.

The goal here is to know exactly how much money is in your account, like looking online at your balance, so yeah, you have to track all of your incoming and outgoing transactions.

I mean this system really predates debit cards and computerization; it's the low tech way of achieving what your bank's website does now, except in the US the banks are so technologically regressive in terms of cheque processing you kind of need to do it because the bank site still isn't tracking your unprocessed cheque liabilities.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's healthy.

It is isn't?

but you know

it has sort of worked

What do you mean doing more? Like you can't get it up unless your drunk?

he can't work up the nerve to initiate physical funtimes unless he's drunk.

I have this problem like whoa

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Actually looking back

whenever I've been really drunk

It has ended up in physical injury or a girl

EDIT: Yeah, Fro. That. Or like.... I can't think of what to say. Mostly, I just don't try. Apathy I guess.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That doesn't seem like a situation ripe for potential date rape issues later. "Well I got drunk enough to touch her and then just didn't hear no."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cheques are cleared out of 7 or so national centres (you can deposit a cheque from Bank A, New York in Bank B, LA and it will get routed to the right center to actually resolve the transaction). To speed everything up, banks essentially float you an interest free loan ahead of the actual processing of the cheque based on what you tell the ATM it's worth or what the teller sees written on the face.

A few weeks later someone actually processes it and oh hey it's NSF or doesn't even exist so they pull the money back out of your account.

Now this model vastly predates computers and is mostly going the way of the Dodo. A lot of the time lag is caused by the lack of a central, agreed-upon standard communications network between all banks in the US, because you have like 8000 banks and they're a fractious lot.

All cheques clear in a single day here, because there is a single nation-wide electronic system, but you still can write a bad, fake cheque and have a similar situation happen if they recipient deposits it in an ATM, since those typically aren't picked up and processed until the next day.

Having grown up with a global communications network always available, it's basically unthinkable that it would work this way. So while someone who grew up with checks bouncing and shit might immediately see the scam, I've never once had money yanked back out of my account for any reason because every transaction I make is verified by machines before money changes hands. It's kind of weird that there's a system that we allow to stick around where this is not the case.

Inertia. The US has been really slow to computerize in a lot of ways

edit: and crazy incentives in the US. Banks could spend the money building the system that resolves this, but what does that get them? A lack of overdraft fees.

Combine that with a lax regulatory culture and it never gets done.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That doesn't seem like a situation ripe for potential date rape issues later. "Well I got drunk enough to touch her and then just didn't hear no."

Every situation is ripe for potential date rape issues later on, at least in college.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Every situation is ripe for potential date rape issues later on, at least in college.

Yeah but drinking to lubricate the interaction is just making it worse.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I mean I drink to post to Irond Will, but thats only so I can get over his bald spot.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I have the foggiest fucking memory of when I lost my virginity. Been drinking all day. And then I mean all day. I had to think really hard the next day about whether or not i used a condom.

shit, I didn't even recognize her when she waved the next day before like, ten minutes afterwards.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I mean I drink to post to Irond Will, but thats only so I can get over his bald spot.

so you're a toupe?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made it through 4 (well, 6 now) years of college with precisely zero date rape

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Abdy doesn't actually remember ever having sex

just the walk of shame afterwards, and the trips to the pharmacist for his special shampoo

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also man there ain't no situation that's "potential date rape" unless you's a damn fool drunk or no

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I have the foggiest fucking memory of when I lost my virginity. Been drinking all day. And then I mean all day. I had to think really hard the next day about whether or not i used a condom.

shit, I didn't even recognize her when she waved the next day before like, ten minutes afterwards.
    Sometimes I forget why I don't drink.

THanks.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Yeah but drinking to lubricate the interaction is just making it worse.

At some point, it's important to say fuck it and just be kinda careful/attentive to the situation.

@Abdy: Yep. Realising that your apathy has cost you digits/funtimes feels almost worse than just complete lack of confidence. In my experience, at least.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    I made it through 4 (well, 6 now) years of college with precisely zero sex

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I made it through 4 (well, 6 now) years of college with precisely zero date rape

Well gooey you are kind ugly, as I've established in the past you have to be cute to get date raped.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Abdy doesn't actually remember ever having sex

just the walk of shame afterwards, and the trips to the pharmacist for his special shampoo

I don't need to

I just run my tongue over my lips and see if I taste manjuice

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also man there ain't no situation that's "potential date rape" unless you's a damn fool drunk or no

Nope. Some people like to LieHard:With A Vengeance. 'Crying rape,' while not common, is also not a myth.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I made it through 4 (well, 6 now) years of college with precisely zero sex

:^:

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.