As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Confines || Game Over! Mafia Victory!

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still like Kias. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yes, totally make the mafia win this game by voting me 8-)

M.D. on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vote Closed.

I literally just got home, narration will be a bit and probably kinda crappy, since I'm still eating.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    so guys hows it feel to finally vote me out after I said I was mafia a t the start, feels good don't it to be so awesome and winning and stuff right 8-)

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    see the thing is the mafia at the end, when there is 1 left will either try to lay incedibly low or lead the charge at the end

hahahahahahah

:rotate:

M.D. on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

The battlefield was set. The pieces were chosen. The Newly Come had brought their forces with them, and the Children of the Ancients had left their cabin headquarters to meet them on the field. There were no chances for ambush here, no room left for surprises.

The forces were not matched. Alejandro had led the other Elders of the Council to the field, and the names that the Newly Come had learned, that they had seen written so many times over, burned into their memories, were all there. Danava the Demon. Alejandro the Vampire. Jacques the Werewolf. Donovan the Sorcerer. Ilona the Banshee. They were all there. Scouts had confirmed this to the Newly Come and their remaining units.

The war had been bloody and lasted longer than either side had considered possible, but it all came down to this last few moments. The sides stared at one another and then slowly, the guns were lowered to the ground, the melee weapons were pulled into the arena, and after another moment of silence, the Newly Come leader, Nikolai, spoke.

“Surrender, vermin, and accept the chance to live your lives out. You will be hunted, you will be chased and eventually caught and killed. Extinguished from reality as you should have been so long ago. Invoke the Article of Surrender and give yourself a chance.”

The voice of the ancient vampire, Alejandro, echoed through the clearing, dry and grating on the nerves of the Newly Come. It was painful to hear creatures of the earth speaking in their language, it softened the Newly Come only slightly. And then they remembered their friends and family who had fallen to the fangs.

“We will fight to the end. To the last of us. You have come to your doom, Newly Come. From here, there will be no stopping us from reclaiming that which is rightfully ours. Die.”

And with that the sides met and clashed, and the battle raged on for only a few brief moments. The Children of the Ancients were valiant in the defense of their beliefs and their futures, but their techniques with their blades were old techniques and they were no match for the fully honed skills and dirty fighting of the Newly Come.

One by one the Elders of the Council fell to the ground, their life fluids leaving their bodies, their last breaths gasping at the sky and their eyes finally closing. Alejandro was among the first to fall, and then it went quickly from there. There were no Children left standing in the clearing. The Newly Come stood victorious over the Council of the Elders, Ilona the Banshee letting out one last little whimper into the air. Nikolai raised his hands to the air, firing off his gun in victory. The noise shook through the empty cavern, startling nothing, as the wildlife in the area had long since been slaughtered.

At least, that’s what the Newly Come thought. But something fluttered, something moved and as they turned towards the edge of Confines, towards the borders that were no longer there, they caught sight of a fleeing form. Human in shape, but it was hard to tell what else it was. Nikolai grinned finally, the gruesomeness of it all giving him new life.

“We have a new game to play now. The hunt is on.”
    Results:

Mr defecation; demon; Vote
    Kias; Vampire; Mafia
    Skarsol; Vampire; mafia
    Game Over! Newly Come (Mafia) win!

The Living Victorious:
    Sir Fabulous
    Heffling
    Nodgarb

The Fleeing Children:
    Garick; Sorcerer; Redirect
    Cheez; Sorcerer

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good game everyone. This almost lasted a little bit longer as I forgot to send in the kill orders until about 2 minutes before vote close.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In addition, here are the Mafia ProBoards.

http://extermatott-is-best.proboards.com/index.cgi

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mufasio boards unlocked

I managed to give spotty advice at best!

Beaten by Sir fab :(

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Indeed, good game! Very close, heh, Village had a chance to win, but it was a close thing. Congrats!

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes it was a excellent game

most excellent indeed

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks to Ahava for the awesome setting. Even if I don't normally go for the Vampire thing, at least the Victoria thing made this whole thing just that much better.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Great game guys. I look forward to more!

Heffling on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mufasio boards unlocked

I managed to give spotty advice at best!

Beaten by Sir fab :(

It still seems like it's locked?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My thoughts on the game are a bit disparate to all go into one post. So how about I start at the beginning and then work my way to now.

Until about two weeks ago, this game didn't exist. I wasn't interested in playing phalla that much anymore, but I got bit by Burnage and Farangu's game. Then I said that I would help another host with his game. And then that game became crazy complicated and Bandwagon was starting to fret and get into a bit of a tizzy about who would run after Burnage and Farangu. Who would run a phalla?

Well.

My advice and suggestions for the other host were not quite what he was looking for, but the setting seemed to be right for a phalla on it's own. So he suggested that I make it into a game of my own, so that he was not 'stealing' my work, so to speak.

Now, I love making and running games like this. I enjoy putting something into motion and letting players run with it. That's usually how I would run an old WoD game as well, when I still did that. Now, while I enjoy making these games, I am not the best at the complex mechanics. I don't have the most dramatic flair for programming and artsy things like maps and the like. I'm no math wizard and I only just recently starting using spreadsheets to map these things out. I like simplicity.

So, I decided that with the community being slow at the moment, and with the last several games having been complex and intricate and balanced just the right way, I would do something that nobody expected. A vanilla phalla. True to it's roots and bound to, hopefully, attract some new players to our community.

And it worked. We got new players involved, and they played very well. And the game was close. And could have been winnable for the village up until tonight. It was enjoyable, it was delightful, and it was educational.

I made some mistakes along the way, namely not notifying inactives that I was considering them to be such. Not outright stating that there would be no long weekend and/or sticking with the long weekend. Not posting my policy for inactivity in the beginning of the game. And for essentially confirming Garick in the narration as a sorcerer.

I hope that you all enjoyed yourselves, I hope that you all learned that simple can be fun too. And I hope that you all enjoyed the narrations and the world that I created a small slice of for you here. Thank you for playing.

edit:: I'm more than happy to answer questions if you have them about what happened when, but the spreadsheet isn't online anywhere...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    who killed me?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For the record, you were being an incredibly silly goose garick, and if I had still been in the game at that point, I probably would have been all for bandwagoning you

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah yes, day One, forgive me.

that's what happens when I get distracted by real life.

Dunadan and Spoit were Village Vigilante Kills
    Infidel and Void Slayer were Mafia kills
    Ringo was the Vote

Kellie died on Day 2 because the Guard (tipsy) was completely inactive on that day.

Garick redirected off of himself and onto another person all the way up until Day Six.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hava,

I had a great time and you did a great job. Any comments about how to improving my phalla playing in the future?

Heffling on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How many vigilantes did the village have, and how did it occur to NONE OF YOU to call your kill?

Hell, how did it not occur to the village to demand a kill be called after Day Two (when village vigs were actually revealed to exist)

You really screwed yourselves here guys. Ahava gave you multiple vigs, a guard, seer, and busdriver vs I think just two mafia kills. Should've been a village rout.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It should have been yes, except the network never got off the ground. The mafia had nothing but the two kills and only 7 players

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Heffling, you are my new favorite newbie.

Seriously.

My new favorite. You can't even believe how hard it was to not be over praising of your performance as mafia.

Village had:

2 Vigilante Kills
    1 Seer
    1 Guard
    1 Roleblock
    1 Redirect (not exactly a busdriver)
    1 Vote

Mafia had:

2 Kills

Not a single kill got blocked, there were no double kills, no doubled up targets, nothing.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I get an explanation of the redirect?

Was simply a limited busdriver, Garick could nominate one target, and anything that was directed at him would instead hit the person he targetted?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kay wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing.

Fun game to watch, Ahava! :^:

Burnage on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As I understood it, he could choose two people and he had picked himself a number of times.

Notice she said up till day 6.

Egos on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The last Ahava-game that had a redirect was different, and arguably super-powerful.

Pick a target, pick their new target. It's how I won Vampire Dominance on night one.

That said, if Garick just picked a target, and whatever targetted Garick now targetted that person... that's pretty damned powerful. I figured from his 'I can only die if my friend dies', that he was a vigilante in contact with a busdriver or something, and the busdriver was pushing kills directed at Garick elsewhere.

If he could pick two targets and switch the effects, he played... pretty badly. Though I guess it was a good way to prove himself to a vigilante, who should NEVER have revealed themselves to him in the first place with his quite frankly stupid demands early in the game.

Edit: This game was super awesome and flavourful and more people need to run vanilla games with great atmosphere, as the games have been straying further and further from the original concept lately. Moreso than usual.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow... well, that was an interesting conclusion, and the final mafia were not who I expected... what can I say though? I wish I had been around vote close when the oracle revealed, but I wasn't (and even if I had, that would have just been my death instead of hers for that day) I wish I had picked a few of my redirects better... but at that point in the game we really had no mafia deaths yet, and lots of suspicious people.

The village was dang goosey. Pretty much the only thing that needed to happen that game was for the either the vig that contacted me to lay low (arguing against romanqwerty made it apparent he was the vig) or for anyone else to contact me. Sometimes you gotta take a risk if you want to win the game, and at that point in the game, not taking the risk to contact me was stupid. We would have had an unstoppable network, since the mafia didn't dare to target me with their kill.

The goosey action from the village after I was confirmed good? That was just icing on the cake. What better way to give the mafia a way to hide then make yourself extremely suspicious by voting against me? Even if you didn't like the way I played my part, you still gotta play the game for the good of the team, and people were just unable to do that.

In any case, GG.

Garick on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Great game, had a lot of fun from the mafia side. We got really lucky nailing towndrunk after he got in touch with Garick. Hopefully I wasn't too obvious a mafia from day 1.

schuss on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No network didn't even matter, the mafia were posting so transparently from day 1! Should have had this, village!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, how so? What did they say that made it so clear?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game was fun, definitely a cool theme! Thanks for running Ahava!

My only complaint is that large blocks of non-white italic text are hard to read and kind of hurt my eyes :X

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Enjoyed the game. Was my first time playing and I think I did really poorly, but oh well. Was fun anyway! :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I apologize for disappearing--didn't make it online all week.

Out of curiosity, though, why did you include a village-aligned role-blocker when there were no mafia special abilities to block?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Burnage wrote: »

Kay has it essentially correct. It's kinda like a busdriver.

Redirect selects target #1, for example let's say he picks Kay.
    Redirect selects target #2, for example let's say he picks Burnage.

Now anything that is coming at Kay, goes onto Burnage. Be it a kill, a roleblock, a guard. Anything. Unlike a busdriver, nothing reverses. So anything that was targeted at Burnage, ALSO stays on Burnage, and not back onto Kay. So not quite a busdriver, but almost.

Darian, to be honest, I thought it would be more chaotic than it was...

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darian wrote: »
    I apologize for disappearing--didn't make it online all week.

Out of curiosity, though, why did you include a village-aligned role-blocker when there were no mafia special abilities to block?

I've been wondering this as well, all he could do was block village specials

Burnage wrote: »

Kay has it essentially correct. It's kinda like a busdriver.

Redirect selects target #1, for example let's say he picks Kay.
    Redirect selects target #2, for example let's say he picks Burnage.

Now anything that is coming at Kay, goes onto Burnage. Be it a kill, a roleblock, a guard. Anything. Unlike a busdriver, nothing reverses. So anything that was targeted at Burnage, ALSO stays on Burnage, and not back onto Kay. So not quite a busdriver, but almost.

Darian, to be honest, I thought it would be more chaotic than it was...

Well that's quite a bit more powerful than a busdriver, at least with a bus there's a way to screw it up and for target 1 to die. Combined with self target, it's essentially invulnerability

Phyphor on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, if the village specials had all managed to get networked then that would have been a scary set of abilities. But they didn't, so...

Burnage on
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Garick wrote: »
    Wow... well, that was an interesting conclusion, and the final mafia were not who I expected... what can I say though? I wish I had been around vote close when the oracle revealed, but I wasn't (and even if I had, that would have just been my death instead of hers for that day) I wish I had picked a few of my redirects better... but at that point in the game we really had no mafia deaths yet, and lots of suspicious people.

The village was dang goosey. Pretty much the only thing that needed to happen that game was for the either the vig that contacted me to lay low (arguing against romanqwerty made it apparent he was the vig) or for anyone else to contact me. Sometimes you gotta take a risk if you want to win the game, and at that point in the game, not taking the risk to contact me was stupid. We would have had an unstoppable network, since the mafia didn't dare to target me with their kill.

The goosey action from the village after I was confirmed good? That was just icing on the cake. What better way to give the mafia a way to hide then make yourself extremely suspicious by voting against me? Even if you didn't like the way I played my part, you still gotta play the game for the good of the team, and people were just unable to do that.

In any case, GG.

The same night that the other vig revealed to you they died. Why would I trust you the following day? I targeted you that night on the suspicion that you were mafia, and you redirected onto romanqwerty, who was vocally helping the village. Even after reading the narration that revealed you as a sorcerer, I thought you may have been some sort of traitorous sorcerer based on these actions.

As for the "goosey" actions from the village, how would you act if someone came out on day two with an ever changing story then tried to boss the village around? As previously stated, the results of your actions were detrimental to the village which undercut the narration reveal.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First up, well played to the mafia. You did very well to keep the village in a state of confusion and made it very hard for them to focus on you. You also did well to pick off the specials. I don't think this game was unbalanced at all and a lot of the reason it felt like it was just good play by the mafia.

That said, a large amount of the credit should also go to the village specials for playing terribly.

Garick, establishing yourself as a network head requires trust and you gave the village no reason to, but still expected it anyway. Its fine to take a hard line, when you've had immutable proof that you're good or someone else is evil, but without that you have to give the thread a little more if you want people to follow you. I still can't fathom why you lied about your ability. Things would have gone much smoother if you'd just been up front with what you were. After their first kill got redirected, the mafia would have known the full story anyway, the only people you were keeping in the dark was the village.

The first vig should never have contacted Garick. There was no reason to. More importantly however, once you did contact Garick, you should definitely not make very vocal posts defending his network in the thread. You signed your own death warrant.

The second vig, while right to question Garick (who was digging a hole to china at that point), shouldn't have vigged him. He'd already proven himself to have a busdrive, the only thing that was going to be accomplished there was that he'd give away control of his kill.

I don't really have a problem with none of the vigs calling a kill. With all the shenanigans with phyphor and the guard situation, i don't think either of the vigs could have safely called a kill and been sure they'd survive.

Also well done to the mafia again. They didn't very low at all, but they did ensure the village remained awfully dumb throughout the game. They deserved the win.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Alt_RavenAlt_Raven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Great game ahava!

Alt_Raven on
    You touched my Tra-La-La!
  • Options
    NodgarbNodgarb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    great game ahava, loved the narration and the setting.

There were times when we did things that I for sure thought signed our death warrants. I still am suprised that Heff went from #1 suspect to not even pinging the radar.

Again, great game and I had loads of fun!

Nodgarb on