As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enabling a PS3 Controller for use on PC

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
Ello!

I am trying to figure out how to get my PS3 controller to work with my Win7 Laptop however I've spent a good hour messing with Motionjoy and I have had zero luck :(.

Are there any other drivers out there that work? Most everything I've found has led me to some shady websites that I rather not venture to unless there is some first hand knowledge of the drivers working.

Thanks for any info =D

projectmayhem on

• alexhollizalexholliz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The first result of a google search "PS3 controller on PC" is a blog article explaining how to do with with a handy zip file containing everything you need.

Link

alexholliz on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A signed driver for the PS3 controller: http://www.motioninjoy.com/ (You will need a bluetooth adapter though)

Shens on
  • b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i just did this using motionjoy, like, yesterday using the USB port and a charging cable. The newest version is 0.6.0003 but the default install instructions are for a different version. Here's the right install instructions: http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/install/latest

You have to reboot after you install stuff. And for some reason, when I go to load the driver under the driver manager, the controller stops working. So I just start the DS3_tool like normal and select the right controller option. that's it. I read a few things that said the cable might not pass the correct data if you're using an aftermarket one. I'm using an energizer one I bought at walmart. it works.

I'm using the vista/7 64-bit driver on xp pro 64-bit.

b0bd0d on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shens wrote: »
    A signed driver for the PS3 controller: http://www.motioninjoy.com/ (You will need a bluetooth adapter though)

Mine works without a bluetooth adapter. I'm not sure how or why, but it somehow managed.

Icemopper on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh nice. That is good to hear people have got it working without Bluetooth. I assumed that was still the case due to the verbage on the motionjoy site. To be honest, I haven't tried the driver in a long time because I gave up and bought an XBOX controller.

Shens on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shens wrote: »
    Oh nice. That is good to hear people have got it working without Bluetooth. I assumed that was still the case due to the verbage on the motionjoy site. To be honest, I haven't tried the driver in a long time because I gave up and bought an XBOX controller.

I was having difficulty setting mine up for a while, and I assumed it was due to needing a bluetooth adapter.

Then I did something (still not sure what), and it worked! Lucky me I guess!

Icemopper on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was also trying to use motionjoy and failing. I eventually figured out that the trick was that I had to hit the home button after plugging in the USB.

However, this has the slightly annoying side effect of causing my PS3 to turn on once I unplug the USB. I don't know if this is actually supposed to happen (I assume not), but I can't say I'm bothered enough to go hunting for a fix.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was also trying to use motionjoy and failing. I eventually figured out that the trick was that I had to hit the home button after plugging in the USB.

However, this has the slightly annoying side effect of causing my PS3 to turn on once I unplug the USB. I don't know if this is actually supposed to happen (I assume not), but I can't say I'm bothered enough to go hunting for a fix.

Just open motionjoy and select disconnect controller before you unplug it.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had no idea that someone had made a signed driver for PS3 controllers.

This is excellent news.

Now I can use my crappy old Sixaxises for something.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Bringing back this thread as I need to know how I can switch on the ps3 controller to use on the PC, without actually having the PS3 itself come on. I've managed to get the drivers loaded up and it works wirelesssly on the PC but I've had to switch the ps3 off at the mains. I also have no idea how to switch the controller off when not in use.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm going to suggest you do what I ended up doing - just get a wired XBOX360 controller. It sucks that Sony and MS can't play nice and create drivers for each other, but it is what it is. I had nothing trouble with MotionJoy and the other drivers (some completely f'd up my system); even when it worked it wouldn't (it would disconnect itself all of a sudden at times). I just said screw it and bought a 12 dollar XBOX360 controller on Amazon and haven't looked back.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • aakaidoaakaido Registered User new member
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Bringing back this thread as I need to know how I can switch on the ps3 controller to use on the PC, without actually having the PS3 itself come on. I've managed to get the drivers loaded up and it works wirelesssly on the PC but I've had to switch the ps3 off at the mains. I also have no idea how to switch the controller off when not in use.

How do you do that exactly. My controller has suddenly started disconnect randomly and it's really irritating

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    I'm just using mine with a charging cable, which causes no problems with the PS3 in the other room.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • CrysalimCrysalim Registered User new member
    Hi there, posting this for anyone else who is googling in an attempt to get their ps3 controller working.

You do not need a bluetooth dongle. After you download and install Motioninjoy, you have to click the 2nd tab on the menu up top called "Driver Manager"

As long as your controller is connected via usb, you will see a device available on the list below (which is pretty hard to see - it's mushed in with all the other text). It looks something like this:

[ ] Port_#0003.Hub_#0002 USB\VID_054C&PID_0268&REV_0100

Make sure you click that checkbox, noted by the [ ]. After that click Load Driver. This will freeze the program for a moment, don't worry - it's installing the drivers. After that you can go back to the first tab and configure the controller as you wish.

Good luck!

• networm786networm786 Registered User new member
    I have a solution for your problem just check out this link to find how to attach your PS3 Controller with your PC. Just click here.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    For anyone still interested in this topic, this is a new utility that I found that doesn't use MotionInJoy. I've set up both a DS3 and a Sixaxis and they both work great.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

And here's a video outlining the setup:

http://youtu.be/TpSaOJJIun8

@Big_Classy, check this out!

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    For the love of god, everyone here please take Descendant X's advice.

The motionjoy drivers are bad. How bad exactly isn't well known, but it's documented that the drivers phone home to some ip addresses in china. They also can very potentially (and probably will) cause bluescreens. They're also very difficult to remove.

The scarletcrush drivers are good, and they're open source.

Edit: Also, if you want to use your controller with a bluetooth dongle, and your dongle happens to not be supported (most are, but there's a bunch out there) if you post on that thread in the pcsx2 forums the author will likely patch in support for your specific device.

LD50 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah my roommate's computer would blue screen if he left motioninjoy open and his computer went to sleep.

That program is really bad and I wish I had never installed it.

I am reluctant to give this advice but I feel it might help you if you're careful.

I was pretty successful in removing it by doing a registry search and removing all keys I found by searching for motionjoy and ds3. You may not want to do the ds3 search if you've installed the scarletcrush drivers though. (although you should always be able to reinstall them if you have.)

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I just went through the MotionJoy driver removal process, and here's what I did on Windows 7:
    1. Uninstall DS3Tool from the start menu
    2. Load up control panel -> device manager, plug in PS3 controller, wait for motionjoy driver to appear, and uninstall it (check delete)
    3. Delete the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MijXfilt.sys (a "leftover" motionjoy system file)
    4. Ran the freeware version of Glary Utilities to clear out the orphaned registry entries
    5. Unplug, replug in PS3 controller, should appear in device manager as an "HID-compliant game controller"

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I know this thread was necro'd like crazy, but I've gotta give props to @LD50 and @hsu for their posts here which lead me to getting MotionInJoy pretty much successfully removed from my computer. I switched to SCP for getting my PS3 controller working on my PC a while ago, but I ran into an issue with the remains of MiJ apparently ruining my motherboard's Bluetooth adapter, to the point that I had to disable it in my BIOS or else it would constantly connect/disconnect from Windows and lag my PC.

After doing some searching, I was able to remove the remaining MiJ virtual device that seemed to be causing the problem (and got that MijXfilt.sys file removed, which might've been related as well). So, now I've been able to re-enable my Bluetooth adapter and even have it working with SCP, which is nice.

Though I'm running into a slight issue with the newer version that was released to support the DS4... the Windows service won't run with the newer version, so I had to go back, but I'm not using a DS4 controller yet anyway, so whatever.

Your welcome; I'm always happy to help.

I'd post your experiences with the new service to the PCSX2 forums for the good of everyone. I doubt you're the only one who has ran into the problem you're facing.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Well, someone else mentioned the message I was getting about the service "started and then stopped", but there was no answer to it from there.

Some other people were getting a different issue where it was loading and not working, ScarletCrush did end up fixing that by working with some people, I think that's where the 138 version came from. But because the service isn't loading at all, the log isn't even getting made, so I don't even know how to let him know what's wrong.

Dranyth on