Options

Radiant Historia - Screw Destiny! (Atlus Dream Team RPG)

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone needs to know about this. I've heard nothing but positive things.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Also -- Stock, or Stocke? I'm seeing both.
    It's Stocke on the official website, so it's probably safe to assume that's what they ultimately went with.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's shit like this Atlus.

It's shit like this that stops me from shrinking my backlog.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm digging the art. I was getting sick of the polygonal, big headed heroes of all the JRPGs coming out on DS.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    Holy shit.

Sold.

KiTA you are a gentleman and a scholar.

scholar-kita.jpg

T'was my sincere pleasure, good sir.

This game can't come out fast enough.

KiTA on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Haha, I clicked on the trailer expecting that kind of music and bam there it was. Yoko Shimomura to boot, loved her battle themes in KH2.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So experimenting with alternate timelines sounds like Fun[tm]. As the timelines keep branching, and you hop back and forth between them, learning different things that can help you in alternate timelines, I wonder if the alternate timelines ever merge back together at any point... as in: No matter which choice you make, this -thing- is going to happen. Otherwise this tree is going to have so many branches! Timelines keep going, right? In that tree in the video I saw a few branches that stop... is that when you die? Kinda makes sense. So the endings would be the ones where you actually live? Good, bad or indifferent. I hope there are many endings to this.

Also, inventory management could be a nightmare... do you actually physically travel through time (keeping your inventory) or do you travel around in your head, appearing in your body at the time, keeping all of your memories of everything that has happened to you so far (your levels/skills). Does the character keep all his memories, or does the player need to rely on his own memories of events (with possibly an in-game journal).

If -I- have to remember everything that happened this game will be a nightmare for me, my memory is terrible. If the character remembers everything, then it will be fun to return to the beginning of the game and play some of those battles over again and utterly destroy things. Although odds are they planned for that so there are probably some extremely difficult enemies in the beginning of the game that result in lots of branches ending.

I'm so gonna pre-order this.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh my stars and motherfucking garters. This looks fantastic.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »
    So experimenting with alternate timelines sounds like Fun[tm]. As the timelines keep branching, and you hop back and forth between them, learning different things that can help you in alternate timelines, I wonder if the alternate timelines ever merge back together at any point... as in: No matter which choice you make, this -thing- is going to happen. Otherwise this tree is going to have so many branches! Timelines keep going, right? In that tree in the video I saw a few branches that stop... is that when you die? Kinda makes sense. So the endings would be the ones where you actually live? Good, bad or indifferent. I hope there are many endings to this.

Don't get yourself too overhyped. It looks like there's 2 "main" branches, with lots of offshoots.

Given what I've seen on the videos, I would guess the red branches are the one where you mess things up so bad that time just says "hell with it." One example that appears to be given in the video is you deciding to attack a diplomat -- since your two kingdoms are in the midst of cold war with each other, moving to open hostilities is something that very obviously breaks the timeline. Again, if I'm understanding the video right, you get a paragraph of text explaining what happens due to your screwup and you're thrown back into Historia.
    Also, inventory management could be a nightmare... do you actually physically travel through time (keeping your inventory) or do you travel around in your head, appearing in your body at the time, keeping all of your memories of everything that has happened to you so far (your levels/skills). Does the character keep all his memories, or does the player need to rely on his own memories of events (with possibly an in-game journal).

Physically, I presume. And yes, he keeps all his memories. I get the vibe from the videos that he starts off one timeline as a spy, and in the other timeline he's just some low rank mook -- but since he's, you know, a spy he rises very quickly in that timeline.

But again, don't get overhyped. Given the people involved I'm expecting a very good story, but you may wish to just consider the timeline stuff a fancy, time themed world map. Anything much more than that is entering the realm of Pen and Paper RPGs (due to the complexities involved requiring a sentient DM).

Of course, then again, these are the people who brought us Radiant Stories, the game where they decided to take every NPC and give them a 24 hour schedule of things they'd run around doing -- which they kept.
    If -I- have to remember everything that happened this game will be a nightmare for me, my memory is terrible. If the character remembers everything, then it will be fun to return to the beginning of the game and play some of those battles over again and utterly destroy things. Although odds are they planned for that so there are probably some extremely difficult enemies in the beginning of the game that result in lots of branches ending.

Given who'se making this, I would imagine there's a way to make a timeline where everything goes to piss, and you're forced to fight something big, bad, and ugly. The obvious answer would be an evil alternate timeline Stocke.

Remember however, that the story appears to revolve around a villain having went through and kicked history's ass for his own benefit (hence why, I would presume, that the hero is just a random grunt in the new timeline).

Thumbing through a Japanese wiki, there doesn't appear to be a NG+ mode, but the game has a lot of Side Quests with multiple choices in them that directly affect the ending -- Fallout / Fallout 2 style, it sounds like.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Just got this e-mail. (spoiler'd because it's kinda long)
    UNiTF.jpg

Click the image to vote.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People who don't vote for the first one are haters.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The first disc is too anime-ish and the second one has an overdone cover.

Second disc in the first cover.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't even look at the disc, ugly border on number two makes voting one easy on the jacket alone.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First one by a long long shot. The huge border ruins the 2nd cover imo.

Also KiTA, Yuki Kajiura didn't work on this, at least according to Wiki. But thanks for introducing me to another composer I should look into - the opening theme for HISTORIA is excellent :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm a monster. I voted for the second cover.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The second cover is seriously hideous, though.

Like, objectively bad.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The second cover oozes style. Voted for it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Voted second cover... just because I hope it wins and I can be part of something evil.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The second cover is seriously hideous, though.

Like, objectively bad.

That's why I'm a monster. But seriously I liked the less busy CD and something about the border pattern appeals to me. It's almost like a Persian rug (it could use some toning back though).

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I really do like the second cd more than the first one. But I figure I don't have to look at the cd to listen to it, while the cover will always be there.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People who don't vote for the first one are cool dudes.

FTFY.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I voted for #2 because I have too many soundtracks that look like game ads rather than album art.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh Jesus. Atlus, will you never cease kicking ass?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Did my civic duty and voted for number one thirty six times on account of awesome side burns. I can't even tell if it's a dude or a chick.

Also voted for the second one five times to be fair.

Let your voices be heard, people.

Vote with your mice.

As many times as it takes.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They need to add options for people who like one cover (B) and the other cd image (A).

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GT made an excellent preview for the game.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-radiant-historia/709636

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Second disc, first cover.

I'd take #2 if I had to.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Airan wrote: »
    First one by a long long shot. The huge border ruins the 2nd cover imo.

Also KiTA, Yuki Kajiura didn't work on this, at least according to Wiki. But thanks for introducing me to another composer I should look into - the opening theme for HISTORIA is excellent :^:
    KiTA wrote: »

Are you sure? Both are accredited to her, and sound like her, and the image says Radiant Historia OST - Yuki Kajiura. She might have just done the vocal components? I read somewhere that the piano stuff was a special extra soundtrack remix thing by the Kingdom Hearts guy.

KiTA on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those songs are from Rekishi Hiwa Historia which is some japanese tv show.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Those songs are from Rekishi Hiwa Historia which is some japanese tv show.

Ah. Well, I fail, don't I?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely the better choice.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It also seems we have two reviews for the game. The first one from RPGamer and the second from Destructoid.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lenore03 wrote: »

ugggggh. such an ugly cover.

I mean, the cd is clearly superior to the other one, but that cover is fucking hideous.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, having seen these videos and read these reviews, I ordered it.

histeriashow.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't think that was available on DVD

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is Thread Title a Yugioh Abridged reference? I'm addicted to that show to the point that I'm learning how to play Yugioh on DS.

shirt_yugioh_rulesgotscrewed_hoodie_design.jpg

Cantido on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is Thread Title a Yugioh Abridged reference?

Even worse; it's a TV Tropes reference.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Is Thread Title a Yugioh Abridged reference?

Even worse; it's a TV Tropes reference.

Must not click! I'm in a fucking library studying electrical networks! I rented a study room and everything!

This comes out on the same day as De Blob 2. I'm doing my damndest too scrape up the money for both.

Cantido on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Must not click! I'm in a fucking library studying electrical networks! I rented a study room and everything!

This comes out on the same day as De Blob 2. I'm doing my damndest too scrape up the money for both.

Personally, since de Blob 2 was announced for 3DS and it's likely they could put the full version of the game on there (and not the scaled down DS one), I'm going to wait on de Blob for that platform. I don't know if you even plan on getting a 3DS but that's my rationale.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky