Options

Radiant Historia - Screw Destiny! (Atlus Dream Team RPG)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Must not click! I'm in a fucking library studying electrical networks! I rented a study room and everything!

This comes out on the same day as De Blob 2. I'm doing my damndest too scrape up the money for both.

Personally, since de Blob 2 was announced for 3DS and it's likely they could put the full version of the game on there (and not the scaled down DS one), I'm going to wait on de Blob for that platform. I don't know if you even plan on getting a 3DS but that's my rationale.

No, I got a DSi XL, which i love to death and intend to use on a massive backlog of DS games, including the upcoming Pokemon before moving on to 3DS. I still need to finish Knights in the Nightmare, which is pretty overwhelming despite the excellent tutorials. I'm thinking of starting it over because characters that I can keep just stopped appearing, since I no longer have items related to them.

I thought buying one was a bad move at first...until I downloaded Shantae, which was so badass that it singlehandedly made owning a DSi worth it. The quality is mindblowing for a downloadable game.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still need to finish Knights in the Nightmare, which is pretty overwhelming despite the excellent tutorials. I'm thinking of starting it over because characters that I can keep just stopped appearing, since I no longer have items related to them.

KitN is one of those "portable" games that frustrates me because it has so many permanent missables that I feel like I need to play it with a guide open -- which kind of vitiates the whole "portable" thing. (It doesn't help that the only guide I know of that actually lists all the character key items is in Japanese.)

Brilliant game, but I could really wish they'd taken pity on us and made obstacles that hold key items flash or something.

ystael on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ystael wrote: »
    I still need to finish Knights in the Nightmare, which is pretty overwhelming despite the excellent tutorials. I'm thinking of starting it over because characters that I can keep just stopped appearing, since I no longer have items related to them.

KitN is one of those "portable" games that frustrates me because it has so many permanent missables that I feel like I need to play it with a guide open -- which kind of vitiates the whole "portable" thing. (It doesn't help that the only guide I know of that actually lists all the character key items is in Japanese.)

Brilliant game, but I could really wish they'd taken pity on us and made obstacles that hold key items flash or something.

During the phase where you equip items and place knights, you can scroll over obstacles and it will tell you whether it holds a key item or a weapon. It'll also tell you whether you have to break it for the item, or open it. Open is usually 60%-99%, since 100% makes it fragile and you break whatever is inside. You don't have to warrior destroy things and have them respawn to get all the items for knight recruitment. There are some items for the NPCs where you have to open a barrel for a key item, then destroy it, let it respawn and open it again for another item. That's just for npcs.

I'm quite excited for this game though, back on topic. I've been looking for another good rpg to play since I've got plenty of time riding the bus to and from work or school to play these.

Ardor on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No, I got a DSi XL, which i love to death and intend to use on a massive backlog of DS games, including the upcoming Pokemon before moving on to 3DS.

Whereas I'm clinging to my XL until the 3DS either shows me a damned good reason to pick it up or comes in an XL version itself.

I'm just glad we're getting almost two full weeks between RH and Poke W/B. Should be plenty of time to finish one before the other consumes me.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's our release date on this?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tuesday, February 22nd

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Neat, it looks like Best Buy is actually going to be getting these in. It's in their system when I check the website! That's more than Ghost Trick got.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last minute notice to anyone planning to buy this, Amazon has lowered their pre-order price to $29.99

Tertiee on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, the thread title got me interested, the second video sold me, and the soundtrack samples sealed the deal beyond a shadow of a doubt.

And here I though I was going to be able to cut back on games this year >_<

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Is Thread Title a Yugioh Abridged reference?

Even worse; it's a TV Tropes reference.

Must not click! I'm in a fucking library studying electrical networks! I rented a study room and everything!

This comes out on the same day as De Blob 2. I'm doing my damndest too scrape up the money for both.

I'm in the same position gamewise. I probably will end up getting both.

jothki on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    God fucking dammit, I almost made it without hearing about this game. As someone with a love of Chrono Trigger -- a love bordering on obsession, truth be told -- I am obligated to buy this game.

Although there is one thing that concerns me. The trailer keeps talking about returning the "true history". Does that mean that ultimately, for all the branching pathways, there is one true and linear way to beat the game?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There seems to be two main branches of history and a ton of off-shoots, with the goal being to advance those two with information from the others. Presumably they tie together at the end somehow.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes, but the thing with Chrono Trigger was that you could finish the game with wildly different storylines -- was the southern continent still a desert? Did the apocalypse of 1999 ever happen? Did Frog become a member of the royal line?

This one sounds more like you have a single, "true" storyline, and that any branching off from that is only to be done for the purpose of discovering how to advance the "true" one. That may not be the case, but it's the impression I got from the trailer.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Amazon just shipped this to me. They're saying I should have it on the 23rd, but I'm hoping for tomorrow. :D

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes, but the thing with Chrono Trigger was that you could finish the game with wildly different storylines -- was the southern continent still a desert? Did the apocalypse of 1999 ever happen? Did Frog become a member of the royal line?

This one sounds more like you have a single, "true" storyline, and that any branching off from that is only to be done for the purpose of discovering how to advance the "true" one. That may not be the case, but it's the impression I got from the trailer.

I really wouldn't describe that as wildly different at all. It's just a small batch of random sidequests that you can do or not do, as well as a bunch of mostly joke endings caused by terminating the real plotline at various points.

jothki on
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm not sure I ever really had the drive to go back and do the "alternate endings" in CT. I got the "true" ending or whatever, and was like "done."

It WAS neat how you could fight the end boss at whatever time, or at earlier points in the game, but I'm not going to play the game over and over and go for a certain ending. I'd rather have just one canon ending.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Since this is an Atlus game, I won't be the least bit surprised if there's a secret where you can fuck up the time line in a certain way, causing a superpowerful optional boss to appear that only 1% of players are even capable of beating.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hopefully the main character gets stuck in a time loop, goes insane, escapes, and attempts to murder your main character to prevent himself from spending a hundred thousand years reliving the experience of getting smacked in the face with a door.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    Hopefully the main character gets stuck in a time loop, goes insane, escapes, and attempts to murder your main character to prevent himself from spending a hundred thousand years reliving the experience of getting smacked in the face with a door.

I sincerely hope you get to kill an alternate timeline version of yourself.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Time travel? Atlus?

How could I not be hyped for this game?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The problem here is that I don't actually own a DS. My sister has one, maybe it could just "disappear" once in a while...

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hopefully I won't get burned on this like I did on Rondo of Swords. The mechanics for that game sounded interesting but were unfun in practice.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Hopefully I won't get burned on this like I did on Rondo of Swords. The mechanics for that game sounded interesting but were unfun in practice.

Rondo was fun. When I restarted and FAQed the hell out of it.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well IGN liked it...for what that's worth.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Delivery of your package may be delayed due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event. UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We are sorry about this unavoidable delay and we appreciate your patience.
    Goddammit, winter.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Shipping Soon:
    Shipping Estimate: Feb 25 2011

Really Amazon?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Gods damnit. It looks like neither my local BBY nor both local GStops are getting this in. Why the fuck is this so difficult?

EDIT: Fine, fuck local businesses. Amazon + 2-day shipping it is.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Gods damnit. It looks like neither my local BBY nor both local GStops are getting this in. Why the fuck is this so difficult?

I just did the same thing. With free Amazon Prime for students this game is 5 dollars cheaper than if my local stores actually had gotten it in. With Dragon Quest 6 Gamestop told me that they pretty much only get pre-orders for DS games and nothing more. This is a stupid policy.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I buy practically every game on Amazon or Gamestop online these days. It's just so incredibly easy and generally cheaper and with neat swag that you don't have to snipe from other early customers.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Elin wrote: »

I just did the same thing. With free Amazon Prime for students this game is 5 dollars cheaper than if my local stores actually had gotten it in. With Dragon Quest 6 Gamestop told me that they pretty much only get pre-orders for DS games and nothing more. This is a stupid policy.

Mine at least managed to get Ghost Trick in (a day late, but that was most likely weather related), but yeah. Outside of Pokemon on the 6th I get the feeling that this is going to be the norm for DS games from here on out. I haven't even seen a DS version of YDKJ anywhere, for instance.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just grabbed it, and played it for an hour.

It's actually set up more like a traditional RPG than I expected, which is nice. The combat system is kind of interesting, it looks like you can build up arbitrarily long combos if you're willing to keep moving enemy turns forward.

Looking at the event structure, it sort of reminds me of Wario Land 2.

jothki on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    amazon shows a picture of the soundtrack, does it come with one?

thinking of ordering either way but that might seal the deal

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    amazon shows a picture of the soundtrack, does it come with one?

thinking of ordering either way but that might seal the deal

Yeah, the game comes in one of those boxes.

jothki on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    thanks

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bah... delayed by a day here. Silly Family Day. I hate you Dalton McGuinty!

Is this playable with one hand? I dislocated my elbow and my left arm is all but useless now. I was worried I wouldn't find time to play this game, but an RPG is about all I can play considering my current state.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Is this playable with one hand? I dislocated my elbow and my left arm is all but useless now. I was worried I wouldn't find time to play this game now, but an RPG is about all I can play considering my current state.
    It seems to be 100% turn based, so it should be.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

Is this playable with one hand? I dislocated my elbow and my left arm is all but useless now. I was worried I wouldn't find time to play this game now, but an RPG is about all I can play considering my current state.

Sweet. As much as I've hated on turn based in the past, I'm glad it still exists right about now! :lol:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not completely, movement in the field is real-time. I don't know if it'll matter at all besides making it harder to ambush enemies, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

Sweet. As much as I've hated on turn based in the past, I'm glad it still exists right about now! :lol:

Pfft. I finished TWEWY with a broken finger.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The combat system in this game so far is an extremely refreshing addition to the JRPG formula.

/clap Atlus

Lionel-Richie on