Options

Radiant Historia - Screw Destiny! (Atlus Dream Team RPG)

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm only 2 hours into this, and it is already one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Very good swan song for my normal DS, as it will be the last game I purchase before the 3DS comes out.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    About 4 hours in so far. I'm enjoying the whole political intrigue thing, but the way they're dealing w/Time Travel is currently giving me a huge headache.

I'm willing to wait longer for an explanation.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm trying to decide between this and Tactics Ogre for my RPG of choice for now.

Kind of leaning towards Tactics Ogre right now, but can someone convince me otherwise?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide between this and Tactics Ogre for my RPG of choice for now.

Kind of leaning towards Tactics Ogre right now, but can someone convince me otherwise?

It has time travel and an awesome battle system and (so far at least) really likable characters.

what more do you want?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

It has time travel and an awesome battle system and (so far at least) really likable characters.

what more do you want?

Good story, decently paced battle system, and well written dialogue.

Actually, I'd really just like a battle system that isn't super fucking slow.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Caution to those getting their hopes up for the soundtrack: it's only 5 songs (about 20 minutes) of piano remixes. It's . . . . nice and all, but fuck just put some of the other music on there! Fill the CD! I can't see myself listening to this more than once. Shame too because there's been a couple of nice tunes in game so far.

Also the timelines don't work quite how I thought they would. I wish they lined up a little better (or it was more obvious where the "connections" were). I'm not that far in (a few hours) and it's already a tad confusing how the timelines have affected each other. Oh also the main character's 2-frame running animation drives me a little batty (especially because there's some really nice movements elsewhere).

OK. That said. Game is pretty damn awesome I must say. Good graphics (love the thaumaturgy/steampunky vibe of the opening area), good music, well-written dialogue, interesting story, no annoying characters thus far, and a nice twist on the battle system.

edit: wasn't meant to be a direct response to blaze_zero but funny how it worked out

edit2: the pacing of the battle is nice. One cool touch is that if there are several enemies you are fighting, and they have all their turns in a row, they just all go at the same time so you don't have to sit there and wait.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    About 4 hours in so far and I must say this has been a blast. The combat system thus far has been great though I am hoping more mechanics with the grid come up later.

To those having trouble grasping how the time travel works Its like a Choose Your Own Adventure where you cheat and your character can use info from other paths to get further in others.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, I am so calling it now: (just a prediction, but spoilering it anyway)
    Heiss is totally Old-Stocke.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Counter-speculation
    I don't think so. From what I've seen of the time travel capabilities Stocke gets from the chronicle he cannot go further back then when he got the book from stocke originally since he can only travel on his own timeline to major choices he made.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ohtsam wrote: »

Counter-speculation
    I don't think so. From what I've seen of the time travel capabilities Stocke gets from the chronicle he cannot go further back then when he got the book from stocke originally since he can only travel on his own timeline to major choices he made.

Counter-Counter-Speculation.
    Just to keep my crazy theory afloat, I'm going to also speculate that Heiss/Old-Stocke is the one with the Black Chronicle. :P

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    About 4 hours in so far. I'm enjoying the whole political intrigue thing, but the way they're dealing w/Time Travel is currently giving me a huge headache.

I love intrigue, so this has got me even more excited. I'm ordering mine across since there's no release date for it in Australia.

Kelor on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I just got the game and only put like an hour into it so far. But man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that exact same thought. :P
    Soon as the game panned back and he said "Get to the point where I am" or something or other, I was like "Welp, he must be me in the future".

Then again, as soon as those two mercenaries showed up, I also guessed that they must have been those elf siblings too, but I guess that first time travel bit proved that wrong.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I did think that the 2 mercenaries were the elves as well. I didn't have my initial reaction about Heiss, but I do think it's plausible, but more plausible that he has the Black Chronicle.

As far as the game goes, I'm about an hour and a half into it and loving the dialogue. This is some of the best scripting I've seen in a game in a long time. It's incredible, and the music is absolutely amazing. The cd pretty much sucks.

The game's battle system is cheesy, in a way. Change change change, attack all at once, kill. I'm certain it probably gets harder later during boss battles though.

HAIL PROTEA!

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

what more do you want?

Good story, decently paced battle system, and well written dialogue.

Actually, I'd really just like a battle system that isn't super fucking slow.
    Then don't get Tactics Ogre. I love it, but swift it is not.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alright, I'm one hour in and it's pretty great so far.
    Question: during the prologue, there were those plants in the forests you could hit with your sword..the hits would connect, but the plants weren't destroyed. Is that how it's supposed to be or was I doing something wrong?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apparently I failed to preorder this as it's not in my Amazon account anywhere. I'm pretty sure I actually DID preorder it though. I guess I'll just order it now and hope I get it some day.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Damn, some of the early random mooks are kicking my ass.

Level grinding hooo!

Maz- on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Alright, I'm one hour in and it's pretty great so far.
    Question: during the prologue, there were those plants in the forests you could hit with your sword..the hits would connect, but the plants weren't destroyed. Is that how it's supposed to be or was I doing something wrong?

It's probably an ability you pick up later.

jothki on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Crud, this is already out! Wonder if Fred Meyer might have it.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I meant to play a little of this before I went to sleep last night.

Finally made myself shut it down at 4-fucking-thirty.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need to scrape up some money before Spring Break...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My girlfriend surprised me with this before I left for work today, its fantastic so far. I'm very much in love with the soundtrack so far.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My girlfriend surprised me with this before I left for work today, its fantastic so far. I'm very much in love with the soundtrack so far.

Nice, when's the wedding? ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't think you can marry soundtracks.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »

I don't think you can marry soundtracks.

He could use it as the soundtrack for his wedding to his girlfriend though.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Got my first game over ending 1.5 hrs in
    Don't choose the ambush option in Alma Cave right away it seems

AND another one. in the other historia.
    Wait for the informant do not go the the cave

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't get the idea that those are bad things to get.

I want to see every corner of the game I can, including the bad endings.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I agree but objectively they are the bad endings.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I agree but objectively they are the bad endings.

yes, I said that right in my post. :P

My point is that there is nothing bad about seeing a bad ending. Especially in a game about alternate histories.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This game is the glorious offspring of Chrono Trigger and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. There's pretty much nothing I don't like so far.

Where I'm at currently:
    Hit my first dead end after staying with specint and just started into the other choice, joining the brigade. Man the characters are fun so far. The Sand sickness this is really interesting too, can't wait to see where they go with it.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, this game is pretty awesome. I can't remember the last time I sat down to a DS game and looked up four hours later. Possibly TWEWY.

ystael on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have bought the game then, I'm intending to graduate this semester...

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    10 hours in and the story has still been fantastic so far. This will likely be one of my favorite games ever when its all said and done.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ordered in some kind of insane lot with EO III and DQ VI.
    Goodbye time.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just ordered this off of Amazon. :^:

It says the expected delivery date is March 1st. GET HERE SOON, MARCH 1ST

OR I'LL KILL YOU >:3

Kami on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, I'm 3 hours in, just got my 4th party member.
    Is it worth leveling everyone up equally or should I stick to just 3 people?

Maz- on
  • Options
    _Debaser__Debaser_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For anyone who happens to get to the first "stuck" point in both timelines, here is what you do:
    1) Reach the "wait/go to the mine" scenario in standard history
    2) Reach the "ambush/scout" scenario in alternative history
    3) Return to the standard history point and choose "wait." Having met the informant in AH will cause him to arrive at the rendezvous point and thus allow you to progress. (Doesn't make a lot of sense, I know)
    4) After the informant leaves, go west from there until you hear someone scream for help. Defeat the minibosses and you'll save the merchant who is carrying the explosives to Alma Mine.
    5) Return to the Alternative History and go back to the mine. Choose the "scout" option and the merchant will arrive. You can now progress in both timelines again.

There doesn't appear to be any FAQs for Radiant Historia yet and I was stuck at this point for a bit. The only real issue I have with the game so far is the interplay between the two histories. I understand that my actions in one timeline do affect the other, but it doesn't make much sense logically. I suppose it's best just to not envision the histories as being wholly independent from one another.

_Debaser_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    _Debaser_ wrote: »
    For anyone who happens to get to the first "stuck" point in both timelines, here is what you do:
    1) Reach the "wait/go to the mine" scenario in standard history
    2) Reach the "ambush/scout" scenario in alternative history
    3) Return to the standard history point and choose "wait." Having met the informant in AH will cause him to arrive at the rendezvous point and thus allow you to progress. (Doesn't make a lot of sense, I know)
    4) After the informant leaves, go west from there until you hear someone scream for help. Defeat the minibosses and you'll save the merchant who is carrying the explosives to Alma Mine.
    5) Return to the Alternative History and go back to the mine. Choose the "scout" option and the merchant will arrive. You can now progress in both timelines again.

There doesn't appear to be any FAQs for Radiant Historia yet and I was stuck at this point for a bit. The only real issue I have with the game so far is the interplay between the two histories. I understand that my actions in one timeline do affect the other, but it doesn't make much sense logically. I suppose it's best just to not envision the histories as being wholly independent from one another.

Yeah I was stuck here too step 3 was confusing the shit out of me especially considering I was told to
    go through the desert fortress NOT the Mine

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just did some grinding to get Raynie and Marco better equipment. It's kind of awesome how the battle system is fast and fun enough that it didn't even feel like grinding.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fortunately, the game seems to cut down a bit on the informant/merchant bullshit later on, letting you make changes through carried over information or items, which makes far more sense. I'm still only in the third chapter, though.

The game seems to love to throw money at you.

jothki on