Options

Radiant Historia - Screw Destiny! (Atlus Dream Team RPG)

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    So, I picked up a DSi XL with 9-9-9, Dragon Warrior 9, annnd... This. (Thank you Fry's!)

Wow... I'm liking this. This is amazing.

How much did you pay for the XL? I can't imagine buying one so soon before the 3DS comes out.

Eh, $140. I was holding out... but what the hell... I got my tax return.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm about 15hours in and really enjoying this.

To respond to some earlier remarks: Stock/Aht/Rosch team does happen eventually in AH, should you want to use that team. (Yes it is an AMAZING team).

Aht's traps are the best, and you will learn to love them.

The plot continues to be interesting, though at this point the divergent histories are starting to become a little confusing

Spoilers for about CH4 for both storylines
    Rosch almost gets killed during the battle in teh Gran plains, but in SH that doesn't seem to happen, as he doesn't die and later defects when Alistel takes over.

This is confusing because as far as I can tell, only Heiss and Stocke change when between the histories. Stocke joins Rosch, and Heiss gets angry at him for joining Rosch. Why does that drastically change everything else?

I'm assuming it's Heiss telling Hugo to cause Rosch to die because of Stocke. Not really sure though

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some of the music choices make me giggle. I'm fighting what is otherwise just a group of mooks. I guess it qualifies as a boss fight in that it's the last fight of the chapter. But they're just the same mooks I've been mowing down moments earlier, with a pallet change "leader" who's slightly stronger.

And they're playing this devil pipe organ last boss "it's the end of the world and you're gonna get raped" music for the fight.

It's hilarious. *music starts up* "Oh shit! What the hell is... really? *shrug*"

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If this were a WRPG, I'd be using the White Chronicle to get my mack on. I'm not there yet but it's probably going to start soon.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone worked out the combo system? I'm piling enemies into the same square, and consecutive hits don't always add the number I expect to the counter. The second tutorial mentioned something about using a wide variety of skills in a combo, but it only gave one example of using magic after physical attacks.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Combos don't go up by number of enemies in a square. It goes up by types of attacks used. So Push Assault --> Fire will give more hits than Push Assault --> Push Assault. For best results I suggest Multiple Hit Physical --> Magic --> repeat

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does Aht ever learn enemy-movement skills? It gets annoying having to equip Stocke with 3 breeze rings (+1 speed). Otherwise Aht always gets the first and 4th turns during pre-emptive strikes and can't really do jack shit.

She learns Push Assault at level 36, and maybe more later.

jothki on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just got this today. Besides the rewinding time to change decisions thing, I knew very little about the game, and I still don't know much. *shrugs* Eh, but I don't care, it sounds fun enough.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Soooo.... is this game any good?

Classic? Must buy?

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay, Aht gets awesome once you start getting higher-level skills. High-level traps trap two tiles at once, each of those traps trigger seperately, the damage seems to be much higher, and the cost is only 8 instead of 5.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Self Destruct is the worst.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this game supposed to have a "deconstructing the genre" element to it or am I over thinking it?

rockrnger on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Is this game supposed to have a "deconstructing the genre" element to it or am I over thinking it?

I got sort of the same vibe.

Except it's more of "let's hit a number of classic JRPG tropes and cliches intentionally, but to show that they can be enjoyable and done correctly instead of simply being a one-note trope or cliche."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am about 9 hours in and this game is absolutely fascinating. I'm in the 3rd chapter in both histories and loving the sidequests, the main plot, and all the little mini-endings you can get. I will say that this game is absolutely incredible and my best combo yet has been "Marvelous"

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I really hope I eventually reach a chapter where I have access to a more significant portion of the world map. It sucks getting a sidequest and going "let's see, what was the node where I could actually get there again..."

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Who has two thumbs and discovered a combo rating above excellent?

this guy.
    Me too! High five!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Just started and I think I'm well enough so far to say that I got the combo thing down pretty well (Really, it basically breaks down into thinking the situation through, then executing it in one swift movement). The change system kinda makes the game a hell of a lot easier, though.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I do like the game but goddamn I don't like how much the timelines are growing apart. Also I do echo the statement about the map travel lockdown bullshit.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just started and I think I'm well enough so far to say that I got the combo thing down pretty well (Really, it basically breaks down into thinking the situation through, then executing it in one swift movement). The change system kinda makes the game a hell of a lot easier, though.

Battles become less an actual fight and more of a puzzle. "Using Change and all the push moves at my disposal, how can I annihilate every living thing on this grid in one round?". And then you feel pretty awesome when you pull it off.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just picked up my copy today. I am very excited to play it.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Battles become less an actual fight and more of a puzzle. "Using Change and all the push moves at my disposal, how can I annihilate every living thing on this grid in one round?". And then you feel pretty awesome when you pull it off.

So it is pretty much a turn-based SRPG... but not quite in the conventional sense.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So what's the theoretical maximum combo? You get 10 turns in a row at most, but I suspect that you can tack on even further if you pre-place traps. The problem is that from what I've seen, most movement skills are only single-hit, meaning that you're missing out on the opportunity to use a multi-hit skill.

Is the best option to just spam the multi-hit skills, or does working in magic work better? Is there any multi-hit magic?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yet to see any multi hit magic: Here's the highest Combo you can get as far as I'm currently aware

Start:
    1: Stocke's 5hit multihit mana break (5)
    2: Trap (7)
    3: Push(9) into the trap (11)
    4: Double Attack (14)
    5: Trap (16)
    6: Push Into trap (20)
    7: Double attack (23)
    8: Trap (25)
    9: Push into trap (29)
    10: 5 hit Physical Skill (35)

I think that's the best you can do. I've hit a 25 in practice to get an purple rating. Marvelous is at 20ish.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Against my better financial judgment, I snagged one of the two remaining copies within reasonable driving distance when my buddy decided he wanted to get this today. Excited to play it - with the praise you all have been lavishing this game with, I hope it's worth it. From what I've seen though, I have little doubt that it will become one of my all time favs.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reading this thread has made me want to play it... maybe after I'm finished with Sora no Kiseki...

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just got a level 90 combo. Thanks for being such a good sport, Bergas.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm finding this game is totally different when it comes to equipping/accessorizing. In most JRPGs, attack is always the most important stat. Hey, if you kill something, it can't continue hurting you, so you want to kill it ASAP. And since you use attack more often than abilities that use MP, attack is logically the best thing to boost.

But in this game, you gain a hell of a lot more by just boosting everyone's speed, defense, and MDF, and boosting one character's magic stat through the roof, so you can set up a huge combo and kill everyone at once without taking a lot of damage.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm only about an hour into this, but MAN am I glad I picked this up! Instantly sucked me in, love the battle system and art style. Story has grabbed me too, and I want to jack Palomides up asap.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

So it is pretty much a turn-based SRPG... but not quite in the conventional sense.

The timeline is ripped straight out of Shadow Hearts 2 and 3. The addition of moving your characters slot around to set up combos is a new touch.

I think I've been playing too much Bulletstorm...

Raynie: You and Roche are really close together in arms. Do you think we could ever be like that Stocke?

Stocke: Suuuuuuure, Raynie. The first thing we need to do is go up that elevator and make out. That's always the first step. Two gruff military dudes snuggling out each other's woes in a totally hetero fashion.
    :winky:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm only an hour or so in and this is already one of the coolest JRPGs I've played in a while. Something about using the move skills to knock enemies across the battlefield like pinballs is immensely satisfying.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Who has two thumbs and discovered a combo rating above excellent?

this guy.

I think my record is 21 or 23 so far.

And that was before Aht learned Dancing Death... (Reads rest of thread before posting, notes 90-hit combo. Nice!)

Played this just about all day yesterday. Up to chapter 5 in one timeline and just started 6 in the other, I believe. Kicking quite a lot of ass, although the next time Rosch is in my party he's gonna have a shitload of grinding to do.

And now... another all-day session. Let's hear it for conveniently-timed free weekends!

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm currently in AH time, and am just wrecking the shit out of enemies and bosses right now... I mean, I'm only level 12 for everyone, but I don't think the devs realized that if you just Change with a boss , you can nearly double your combo length, effectively dealing even more damage, making the fights even more easy. It's a simple matter of leveling your characters a bit and out-smarting your opponent. Hell, I haven't even grinded yet... I just level as I go and I'm kicking ass.

EDIT: I think I'm close to the next "Dead End" point:
    Learned that Heiss is planning to get rid of Rosch by sending him and the brigade to the Sand Fortress, and wants Stocke to get the hell out of dodge so that he can rejoin Heiss. Looks like Rosch might kick it and I'll have to do something in SH to prevent it.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aht Spoiler:
    Once you have everyone stacked up onto each other you can use Aht's steal and steal from everyone at once! Cha-Ching!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hate that they made Aht so powerful. I can't stand her character. "YAY I'M A LITTLE GIRL YAY I'M SO HAPPY OH NO NOW I'M CRYING OKAY I'M HAPPY AGAIN STOCKIE LOOK STOCKIE I'M SO HAPPY"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Anyone played around with tossing enemies into the air? It seems like they stay up for the next action of the combo and take half as much damage as they did during that action when they hit the ground (so if you don't hit them at all when they're in the air, the launch does absolutely nothing to them), but I've also noticed that you can knock them even higher while they're in the air.

How does all of that work, do they fall to the ground the moment they stop getting knocked up or do they take multiple turns to fall? Do they take more damage when they hit the ground?

jothki on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was here to ask about Air Assault too.

Just checking, all skills always push 2 squares, unless an enemy's in the middle square, in which case the push-ee will be knocked to that middle enemy, right?

The idea that 2-tile enemies can be aligned vertically or horizontally is brilliant.

I'm wondering if it's possible to attack an enemy in the back left, then have Rosch use his hit row skill (so both the back left and back right), then attack an enemy in the back right, and have it considered as part of the same combo. It works in the Disgaea series...

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I enjoy knocking people into the air, then using a push skill and slamming them down in a different location. Like onto a trap. Good times.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you guys think this game is going to end up like other Atlus games(besides Disgaea) and become rare after a month, or at least until a reprint is issued?

zychi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm almost done w/the game at ~30hrs. I won't write a long opinion until the credits roll, but the whole "True Ending" thing is not a shrouded in mystery situation. You won't see credits before you reach it, and the game points you in the right direction well enough to get there.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm doing SH and aht just ran off, tell me I can get her right back because I want her in my party forever, marco stinks.

also my case says radiant historia w/ music cd but there is no cd. guess it's good I don't really care about it.

Jars on